PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40K

Drock
01-16-2012, 03:29
So up unit about 2 days ago I knew nada about warhammer 40K. I randomly stumbled onto http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

and started reading up on the Lore. I have to say, its pretty damn addicting to read about with such a fleshed out universe. Is anyone here into warhammer 40K? Are any of the novels worth a shit? Are any of the games worth a shit?

Thanks for the help.

Aragoni
01-16-2012, 03:35
The 'Horus Heresy'-books are awesome. :)
I also got a large book named 'Let The Galaxy Burn' which has loads of novels in it. One of them really stuck with me. It's a novel about a tyranid infestation and the different stages of it. At first almost nothing happens until it finally peaks with space marine drop-pods, large convoys of Imperial Guards disappearing and all that sorts of things.
And yeah, Warhammer 40k is an awesome universe. A shame the 'Space Marine'-movie sucked dragon balls. :(

edit: The story was named 'The Fall of Malvolion' by Dan Abnett. You can read it if you google it.

Wonderboy2402
01-16-2012, 03:57
I am a fan of the universe, mostly the dark and grim nature of it... always war. And it sort of has that decayed empire feel, with worlds running from barely primitives to high tech worlds and everything in between.

I have read a few books (got them used at a bookstore for cheap).

Titanicus (http://www.amazon.com/Titanicus-Warhammer-40-000-Novels/dp/1844167852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326682377&sr=8-1) which was cool to read when the largest war machines of mankind march to war.

Ultramarines Omnibus (http://www.amazon.com/Ultramarines-Omnibus-Warhammer-40-000/dp/1844164039/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326682445&sr=1-1-spell) Collection of stories centered on the most well known (and vanilla) space marine chapters... It is ok.

And one of the gaunt's ghost collections... Was a rather funny read at times.

Drock
01-16-2012, 03:59
The 'Horus Heresy'-books are awesome. :)
I also got a large book named 'Let The Galaxy Burn' which has loads of novels in it. One of them really stuck with me. It's a novel about a tyranid infestation and the different stages of it. At first almost nothing happens until it finally peaks with space marine drop-pods, large convoys of Imperial Guards disappearing and all that sorts of things.
And yeah, Warhammer 40k is an awesome universe. A shame the 'Space Marine'-movie sucked dragon balls. :(

edit: The story was named 'The Fall of Malvolion' by Dan Abnett. You can read it if you google it.

Cool, thanks man. I'm glad some of the novels are good, because even just reading lore on the Wiki is really entertaining.

Bainwalker
01-16-2012, 04:02
I never got into warhammer for some reason. Isn't the MMO suppose to be some hybrid FPS / tab target game?

KoKane
01-16-2012, 04:28
Pretty sure a Warhammer 40k movie would be entertaining. The whole IP is quite rich with lore but there hasnt really been any significant outcome in terms of games etc... which is odd considering it.

Eldest
01-16-2012, 04:29
Warhammer 40k is a dead ripoff of the Starcraft world.

Jedicake
01-16-2012, 04:31
I fucking love fantasy that spans over literally thousands (or even tens of thousands) of years.

lolz

Bainwalker
01-16-2012, 04:46

If you didn't know Warcraft (The entire franchise) only got started because what became Warcraft I was turned down by the property rights holders of the Warhammer series because they felt it wasn't a very good game. Instead of scrapping the project Blizzard created their own lore and Warcraft was born.

Dolic
01-16-2012, 04:51
If you didn't know Warcraft (The entire franchise) only got started because what became Warcraft I was turned down by the property rights holders of the Warhammer series because they felt it wasn't a very good game. Instead of scrapping the project Blizzard created their own lore and Warcraft was born.

Thats interesting. Makes sense.

Solonius
01-16-2012, 05:20
Anything by Dan Abnett is well worth your money, especially the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Thank me later :)
Special picks: The Founding, Last Chancers, Eisenhorn

Napalm_Enema
01-16-2012, 06:18
Interesting, didn't know the books were worth a spin...thanks for the listings everyone.

As for games, though not heavy story I enjoyed Dawn Of War 2. Squad based, quite entertaining....

Drock
01-16-2012, 06:33

Im still really new to the 40K world, but from what I've read, warhammer 40K was first created in 1987, way before starcraft.

Thanks to everyone on suggestions of novels. I might also check out that dawn of war 2 game napalm.

Sqarak
01-16-2012, 08:26
I can also recommend Eisenhorn, Ravenor and everything from the Soul Drinkers.

mrbubbles
01-16-2012, 08:40
I got into the table top a while ago. Kicked ass and was really fun, rules can be a bitch though but otherwise it can be just fucking amazing to play, albeit expensive. I read the spacewolf Omnibus and wasn't impressed.
Love all the strat Games for the computer.

Die Hard Salamander Marine player, I feel like crispifying your shit right now.

Ziegler
01-18-2012, 22:33

I cant tell if this is a troll or not.....

If it is....ROFLMAO....

if you are the least bit serious, dont ever bring your ass into off topic again.

Dawn of War is good RTS, and the guys that made them are making a WH40K MMO. But there is little to no information about it, and it has been in developement for over 3 years now. But to be honest, if they dont make it where you can make your own army...I'm not sure I will care for it all, since that is pretty much the big thing about WH and WH40K.

Swing
01-18-2012, 22:41
Warhammer 40K can be freaking awesome if they stay true to the IP and not worry about being money grabbing, that tends to water down what makes the IP so great.

Ziegler
01-18-2012, 23:07
Warhammer 40K can be freaking awesome if they stay true to the IP and not worry about being money grabbing, that tends to water down what makes the IP so great.

well...my biggest encouragement about the game is that it is being made by THQ, and eoesnt have EA or SOE sitting in background. Also, THQ has already made a few WH40K games and are damned familiar with the IP and Gamesworkshop.

Endom
01-18-2012, 23:16
I was just talking to a friend about this same thing yesterday. He said that some of the books are amazing and some are lack luster. I forget which ones he mentioned but I recognize a few that people have already posted about. Ill definitely have to give them a read

Wonderboy2402
01-19-2012, 00:01

I suggest you glance at all the ridiculous steam DLC they have for Dow2 and Space Marine. That kinda goes against what you are saying here.

Personally, I didn't like DoW series BUT I do like Space Marine (80+ hours). They just announced new DLC (or further dividing of the community) featuring dreadnaughts but it is priced at $9.99 which is about 50% more then it is worth considering the tiny community still active.

It is reminiscent of AVP 2010, which followed something similar with new modes being paid DLC and the game was already lackluster in multiplayer population.

Krag
01-19-2012, 16:49
well...my biggest encouragement about the game is that it is being made by THQ, and eoesnt have EA or SOE sitting in background. Also, THQ has already made a few WH40K games and are damned familiar with the IP and Gamesworkshop.

Umm like 3 days ago there were reports that THQ is about to go bankrupt and has already cancelled WH40k mmo and a bunch of other 2013/2014 projects.

Not a bad thing since that WH40k game look awful, basically WoW in space. Someone else can do a WH40k game now which should be some kind of FPS/RTS hybrid mmo.

Ziegler
01-19-2012, 16:56
Umm like 3 days ago there were reports that THQ is about to go bankrupt and has already cancelled WH40k mmo and a bunch of other 2013/2014 projects.

Not a bad thing since that WH40k game look awful, basically WoW in space. Someone else can do a WH40k game now which should be some kind of FPS/RTS hybrid mmo.

well shit on me.......yeah, that totally sucks balls. that leaves me looking at WoD and Planetside then...

Swing
01-19-2012, 17:16
I suggest you glance at all the ridiculous steam DLC they have for Dow2 and Space Marine. That kinda goes against what you are saying here.

Personally, I didn't like DoW series BUT I do like Space Marine (80+ hours). They just announced new DLC (or further dividing of the community) featuring dreadnaughts but it is priced at $9.99 which is about 50% more then it is worth considering the tiny community still active.

It is reminiscent of AVP 2010, which followed something similar with new modes being paid DLC and the game was already lackluster in multiplayer population.

That's because the core of both DoW and Space marine are good games that have been made to reflect the IP to the best, if Space marine was more rpg orientated I would have got it, the current incarnation is just not to my taste in type.

Ziegler
01-19-2012, 17:43
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/gaming/thq_responds_mass_cancellation_scare_say s_wh40k_mmo_and_others_are_safe

looks like there is still a shimmer of hope, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Wonderboy2402
01-20-2012, 01:00
That's because the core of both DoW and Space marine are good games that have been made to reflect the IP to the best, if Space marine was more rpg orientated I would have got it, the current incarnation is just not to my taste in type.

I agree.

I liked Space marine alot more because I thought it was a step towards more of what the universe was about... I still think they could do better with the franchise, but they will continue with what sells and that's fine.

I hope they crank out a FPS space hulk, or maybe a Epic 40k with titans. Something different from what they have been doing so far with RTS.