PDA

View Full Version : If Wikipedia wants funding

SphereOfDeath
12-20-2011, 05:57
If Wikipedia wants funding, they should simply shut it down and say on a front page we can't affort to continue for now - until our interest comes in at the end of the year. If you would like to use wikipedia quicker you may make a donation here:

They WOULD get their money and we wouldn't have to see those stupid begging pictures - or they could sort out some kind of registration system where they sell some kind of survey data - occaisionally people must answer 10 questions.

Death's Chill
12-20-2011, 06:03
The principle of no ads is nice, but honestly.. I don't see the point. A few ads here and there doesn't bother me. Pop up ads suck but banner ads? No problem. On a site that gets that much flow even one ad would generate a sizable income.

Apex Vertigo
12-20-2011, 06:06
The principle of no ads is nice, but honestly.. I don't see the point. A few ads here and there doesn't bother me. Pop up ads suck but banner ads? No problem. On a site that gets that much flow even one ad would generate a sizable income.

That's basically what I said to some friends earlier when we were talking about it.

Viluin
12-20-2011, 06:21
Would they? If this happened, I wouldn't donate, I'd just wait for other people to donate enough to make the site go back up.

Sqarak
12-20-2011, 08:24
Some of you either have no worries in life or no life too speak off. If the begging-banners are troubling you, never leave your basement it'll only get worse from there-on.

If you don't want to donate, don't. I did't this year, life moves on. You might, life will still move on.

Death's Chill
12-20-2011, 10:32
It doesn't bother me either way, but I do think one or two banner ads are better than begging.

Not that they don't deserve the money, the site is awesome and they don't have a huge staff.

Sqarak
12-20-2011, 10:35
It doesn't bother me either way, but I do think one or two banner ads are better than begging.

Not that they don't deserve the money, the site is awesome and they don't have a huge staff.

My post was regarding the OP's initial complaint.

jyjylah
12-20-2011, 13:28
There should never be ads, and there should never be memberships.
There should also never be benefits to those who donate.

I regularly donate to Wikipedia, and strongly believe that a bastion of free information should not be generating a profit. Things would quickly become skewed when such an enormous sum of money were to become involved.

Keep it the way it is imo - it's not as if it's going to go down anytime soon.

SphereOfDeath
12-20-2011, 13:54
The problem is we get these HUGE banner ads at the top begging-scrounging for money.

Reminds me of beggars - Who carries money anymore!, not many people (I make a point of having it on hand since I won't be held up by an eftpos outtage), but seriously beggars need to get some tap card machines already!!

jyjylah
12-20-2011, 14:00
The problem is we get these HUGE banner ads at the top begging-scrounging for money.

Reminds me of beggars - Who carries money anymore!, not many people (I make a point of having it on hand since I won't be held up by an eftpos outtage), but seriously beggars need to get some tap card machines already!!

I would hardly call appeals for donations "begging." Have you taken the time to read any of their messages?
Hell, do you call those who advertise for the red cross beggars as well?
I don't see how it's a problem to see these appeals made as banners at the top of the web, and how it would be any better if it was a constant spam of consumer trash.

Captain Kirk
12-20-2011, 14:02
I really dont think most people would miss it.

Sqarak
12-20-2011, 14:10

Seriously, get a life. The banners are not HUGE.

muddymess
12-20-2011, 14:10
There should never be ads, and there should never be memberships.
There should also never be benefits to those who donate.

I regularly donate to Wikipedia, and strongly believe that a bastion of free information should not be generating a profit. Things would quickly become skewed when such an enormous sum of money were to become involved.

Keep it the way it is imo - it's not as if it's going to go down anytime soon.

Especially considering the information is added by the users.

KoKane
12-20-2011, 14:19
Would they? If this happened, I wouldn't donate, I'd just wait for other people to donate enough to make the site go back up.

It would be golden opportunity for a rival site to launch.

88Chaz88
12-20-2011, 14:21

Why would anyone want a rival site? I enjoy only having one place to go to if I did information.

Sqarak
12-20-2011, 14:46

There was a rival, called britanica

http://www.britannica.com/

Kids these days...

Laxe
12-20-2011, 14:50
http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Jimmy_Wales

Nat daprat
12-20-2011, 14:51
They just need sexier beggers. Problem solved.

Khorsy
12-20-2011, 14:55
and poorer former farmers.

Weeking
12-20-2011, 15:04
Wikipedia sucks since they write the name of their nodes in plaintext in the url. That's only useful for making people trust your links, not for any users already on the site, but it can embarrass them or even get them in trouble. Also why the hell, don't them make torrents of the site themselves with working link so that you can view it off-line? There's other people who've tried, but sucked at it and won't make new updates either.

KoKane
12-20-2011, 15:10
There was a rival, called britanica

http://www.britannica.com/

Kids these days...

Why the fuck would you call him a kid lol

Why would anyone want a rival site? I enjoy only having one place to go to if I did information.
Nobody might want it. But if Wikipedia was down, trying to force payments, people would very VERY easily just use the alternative.

The longer wiki stayed down, the more growth any rival site could achieve.

This happens to some sites in certain businesses. They can get conveniently attacked when someone needs their userbases' attention.

88Chaz88
12-20-2011, 15:13

"If I did information"?

What the fuck is wrong with you today Chaz?

Sqarak
12-20-2011, 15:21
Why the fuck would you call him a kid lol

Because the poster has the wit of a young goat.

Jimmyhat
12-20-2011, 17:01
If they start taking money from companies, how can we trust them to keep the site non biased.

SphereOfDeath
12-20-2011, 17:20
I would hardly call appeals for donations "begging." Have you taken the time to read any of their messages?
Hell, do you call those who advertise for the red cross beggars as well?
I don't see how it's a problem to see these appeals made as banners at the top of the web, and how it would be any better if it was a constant spam of consumer trash.

They're the worst - those red cross people or Fred Hollows, I donate to the blind all they ask for is some money in a bucket, but the other others want a weekly/monthly debit fuck that.

I mean if a few people on a few islands in the pacific, with simple cheaply fixed eye problems can't be fixed in Fred's life time then IT AIN'T EVER GOING TO BE FIXED - if it's so cheap why don't they fix it themselves!!

Same with those starving African's that the Christians insist on feeding, in the 80's there were 20million starving along comes LiveAide concert to save them, but WOAH Now! there are 80million of them!!!! Give them some condoms and tell them if they can't feed themselves then not such a good idea to make some children. FGS

88Chaz88
12-20-2011, 17:26
Raaaaaaage!

Just fucking get laid. Jesus.

Silverhandorder
12-20-2011, 18:40
Um there are rival sites to who ever claimed why anyone would need them. All the wiki's you guys go to are rivals that have their niche. In a way that is a market check on wikipedia. If wikipedia falls you will see many wiki's that are made by the subject. For example want to know bio go to bio wiki.

Personally I donated because I use wikipedia almost daily.