PDA

View Full Version : Canada axes funding to the UNESCO

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-02-2011, 16:22
OTTAWA — In the wake of a vote by UNESCO to allow Palestinians a seat at the table, Canada's federal government said it will not be giving any additional money to the UN body.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird told reporters Tuesday the government would not be offering further "voluntary" payments to the United Nations' cultural arm.

Baird said Canada would continue its funding at current levels, but will not add new payments.

Canada provides almost $12 million annually to UNESCO.

"Under no circumstances will Canada cover the budgeting shortfall as a result of this decision and Canada has decided to freeze all further voluntary contributions to UNESCO," Baird said.

The shortfall Baird referred to is in reference to U.S. law that immediately cuts off funding to any UN body that accepts Palestinians as full members. U.S. money makes up about 22 per cent of UNESCO's annual budget.

The minister said the government needed to send a message to UNESCO that it was not happy with the body's decision to include the Palestinians.

"The bottom line is there's going to be a large hole in UNESCO's budget because of the American law which withdraws funding and people at UNESCO should not look to Canada to fill that budget hole," he said. "They'll have to go to the countries who supported this resolution, that caused this budget loophole."

On Monday, the United States said it had stopped funding UNESCO, following its vote to grant the Palestinians full membership.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters Monday the United States had no choice but to halt funding because of U.S. laws passed in the 1990s, saying Washington would not make a planned $60-million transfer that was due in November.

"The United States . . . remains strongly committed to robust, multilateral engagement across the UN system. However, Palestinian membership as a state in UNESCO triggers long-standing legislative restrictions which will compel the United States to refrain from making contributions to UNESCO," Nuland said.

Canada was one of 14 nations to vote against the motion to accept the Palestinians into UNESCO. Some 107 members approved the motion, while 52 others, including Japan and Britain, abstained.

UNESCO's vote was part of a bid by the Palestinians to gain full statehood status through the United Nations. Canada has said it would not support a UN resolution to recognize Palestine as a country and the U.S. has said it would veto such a resolution.

Baird reiterated the government's position on Tuesday, saying Israel and Palestine should come to a peace agreement themselves not use the UN as an end-run around the process.

Nuland called UNESCO's decision to admit the Palestinians as a member was "regrettable, premature and undermines our shared goal of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East."

On Monday, interim Liberal leader Bob Rae said Canada should not stop its subsidies to UNESCO.

"We've said very clearly an enduring agreement in the Middle East requires the approval of both parties," Rae said. "But, you know, the reality is that we're not going to get ourselves into a situation where we're cutting funding every time we get a resolution out of the UN that we don't like."

Any country that stops paying UNESCO for two consecutive years loses its vote in the cultural body.

With files from Agence France-Presse and Reuters

rhiltz@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/robert_hiltz

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Canada+axes+voluntary+funding+UNESCO/5641117/story.html#ixzz1cYtUPnXY

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Canada+axes+voluntary+funding+UNESCO/5641117/story.html

Irenor
11-02-2011, 16:30
They should just replace the word "Canada" with "Harper". Harper is the worst that could've happened to Canada, however the rest of Canada are stupid enough to vote him into office. Never thought I'd actually support a sovereign Quebec, but if Canada keeps going downhill like this I might end up changing my mind.

Aragoni
11-02-2011, 16:30
Never understood why there's such a drama about Palestine wanting to be a part of the UN. Is it because Israel won't be able to create new settlements in Palestinian territory if they are?

Irenor
11-02-2011, 16:36
Never understood why there's such a drama about Palestine wanting to be a part of the UN. Is it because Israel won't be able to create new settlements in Palestinian territory if they are?

There is a long standing issue between Israeli and Palestinians, with Israel attempting to gain some territory. Some US Cables released by Wikileaks also showed that Israel was doing it's best to keep the money going to Palestine as low as possible, basically just enough so they can stay at the poverty level. There's actually a lot of stories like this if you just google Wikileaks-Israel-Palestine.

At least by being approved at the UNESCO, it will hinder Israel's actions.

StrawberryClock
11-02-2011, 17:15
Harper has been elected for everything but his hardline support of Israel. Canadians have a majority negative public opinion on Israel and most universities participate in Israeli-apartheid week, but only this conservative government has been so fucked, even more extreme then the U.S's support.

Past conservatives ones have criticized Israeli policies, among them Brian Mulroney.

This is the world-policy decline for Canada as it becomes less of an independent peace-keeping force and more of an American sockpuppet.

Krag
11-02-2011, 17:48
Why shouldn't Canada support Israel? It's a way better country than some craphole arab ones. The people are friendly, not mean hateful islamic terrorists, they have nice gay pride parades, they have world leading technologic developments to help contribute to society. Where would you rather go? To Tel-Aviv and party with hot IDF girls or to Hamas city and see burka women go by (if they are let outside of house). A country like Canada would have to be insane to support crazy islamic fundamentalist arab countries over Israel.

I don't know why French-Canadians are so proud to be anti-israel, it's like yay, we support violent terrorists who hate us over tolerant democracies, go us!!! I guess jew hating is in the French genetics. Look at the way all the French people started goose stepping along and singing horst wessel after June 1940.

Hydrogenium
11-02-2011, 18:00
Why shouldn't Canada support Israel? It's a way better country than some craphole arab ones. The people are friendly, not mean hateful islamic terrorists, they have nice gay pride parades, they have world leading technologic developments to help contribute to society. Where would you rather go? To Tel-Aviv and party with hot IDF girls or to Hamas city and see burka women go by (if they are let outside of house). A country like Canada would have to be insane to support crazy islamic fundamentalist arab countries over Israel.

The only technological developments Israel (I exclude people of Jewish descent) has spearheaded are tied to weapons industry with a mild focus on urban warfare.
Also Jewish women are world renown for their ugliness (kind of hard to fit that big nose into a pretty face). I have never liked a Jewish woman for her looks. It was either accent (very peculiar) or her wits/humor (I love Jewish humor) that got me interested.

(I am posting just because I enjoy trolling the fuck out of you.)

Jimmyhat
11-02-2011, 18:13
Hopefully France won't back out on this...

Krag
11-02-2011, 18:53
(I am posting just because I enjoy trolling the fuck out of you.)

oh wow, mission succeeded.

[LoD] EE
11-02-2011, 19:26
Shit is about to get real in Israel.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-02-2011, 20:04
They should just replace the word "Canada" with "Harper". Harper is the worst that could've happened to Canada, however the rest of Canada are stupid enough to vote him into office. Never thought I'd actually support a sovereign Quebec, but if Canada keeps going downhill like this I might end up changing my mind.

Well. I'm all for an independent Québec, not necessarily a country though.

We need to have our own constitution because we are so different from the rest of Canada. Sovereignty is just a last resort.

Harper has been elected for everything but his hardline support of Israel. Canadians have a majority negative public opinion on Israel and most universities participate in Israeli-apartheid week, but only this conservative government has been so fucked, even more extreme then the U.S's support.

Past conservatives ones have criticized Israeli policies, among them Brian Mulroney.

This is the world-policy decline for Canada as it becomes less of an independent peace-keeping force and more of an American sockpuppet. Harper's conservative party is as conservative as they would be in the US. In fact it is more conservative then the current president and probably the next one, if it changes.

I don't know why French-Canadians are so proud to be anti-israel, it's like yay, we support violent terrorists who hate us over tolerant democracies, go us!!! I guess jew hating is in the French genetics. Look at the way all the French people started goose stepping along and singing horst wessel after June 1940.

Jeeze I wonder what can quebecers have in common with Palestinians... let me take a wild guess... Not being in control of what we do with our home, our country. That's a good start. I dont have anything against jews or arabs for that matter but that's not about religion, that's about jacking someone's shit. Ask any texan to give you his right to wear arms.

Québec is to Canada what Texas is to the US and Palestine is to Israel.

At least Canada has the decency of not bombing the fuck out of us.

Krag
11-02-2011, 20:41
lol yeah Quebec are so fucking oppressed, the province is basically a giant concentration camp (when it's not being considered one of the best places in the world to live!). Let us conveniently forgot that the seperatist movement in Quebec has been defeated twice in seperation referedums in the past 30 years, so when you talk about seperation for Quebec you are representing an angry and deluded minority who cannot have their way by the democratic process.

Furthermore, by comparing yourself to palestinians, you really want to align your cause with terrorism and religious/ethnic hatred? Terrible post.

StainlessSteelRat
11-02-2011, 22:09
lol yeah Quebec are so fucking oppressed, the province is basically a giant concentration camp (when it's not being considered one of the best places in the world to live!). Let us conveniently forgot that the seperatist movement in Quebec has been defeated twice in seperation referedums in the past 30 years, so when you talk about seperation for Quebec you are representing an angry and deluded minority who cannot have their way by the democratic process.

Furthermore, by comparing yourself to palestinians, you really want to align your cause with terrorism and religious/ethnic hatred? Terrible post.

Yes, deluded minority.....

with 50.58% voting "No" and 49.42% voting "Yes" vote differential of 54,288

After exhaustive verifications, the DGEQ found that 56,000 out of the 100,000 did not have the right to vote and should be removed from the list in the future.

Statistics compiled by Citizenship and Immigration Canada show that some 43,855 new Quebecers obtained their Canadian citizenship during 1995. About one quarter of these (11,429) were granted their citizenship during the month of October. The data also shows an increase in certificate issuances by 87% between 1993 and 1995. The year 1996 saw a drop of 39%.[48]

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-02-2011, 23:12

I was comparing Québec to Canada with Texas to the USA. (not in the same way at all. but it's still a similar comparison) I think however the difference between Québec and the rest of Canada is pretty much as significant as the difference between Israel and Palestine.

In my opinion, Canada is still pretty much a British dominion.I mean you all still worship the crown like it's the 18th century. I'm pro independence, not pro separation. There's a difference. I want to be in control of my money, my laws, etc.
I do not want my fucking navy/air force to be renamed the ROYAL canadian navy or ROYAL canadian air force. FFS.

PS: And I dont want 55k immigrants a year either.

StrawberryClock
11-02-2011, 23:36

What the fuck are you talking about, French-Canadians? The numbers are quite similar in Ontario and British Columbia the Maritimes and any other place not deluded by some God-given right to steal land.

Aside from that, hurr crazy muslims and shit, let's generalize the fuck out of everything because I'm too stupid to think and read.

Yes, deluded minority.....

with 50.58% voting "No" and 49.42% voting "Yes" vote differential of 54,288

After exhaustive verifications, the DGEQ found that 56,000 out of the 100,000 did not have the right to vote and should be removed from the list in the future.

Statistics compiled by Citizenship and Immigration Canada show that some 43,855 new Quebecers obtained their Canadian citizenship during 1995. About one quarter of these (11,429) were granted their citizenship during the month of October. The data also shows an increase in certificate issuances by 87% between 1993 and 1995. The year 1996 saw a drop of 39%.[48]

I have no idea what you are verifying, but about 80% of French Canadians voted yes. The 50% that voted were English-speakers from Montreal and Eastern Quebec as well as aboriginals in the north.

Anyways yeah it was at a very divided time, but Anglo-French relations have been kind of solid according to my Montreal friends. Relations have been at the best it has ever been right now and it would just be shit to divide Quebec English-speakers from French ones.

Not opposed to Quebec autonomy though.

[LoD] EE
11-02-2011, 23:37
I was comparing Québec to Canada with Texas to the USA. (not in the same way at all. but it's still a similar comparison) I think however the difference between Québec and the rest of Canada is pretty much as significant as the difference between Israel and Palestine.

In my opinion, Canada is still pretty much a British dominion.I mean you all still worship the crown like it's the 18th century. I'm pro independence, not pro separation. There's a difference. I want to be in control of my money, my laws, etc.
I do not want my fucking navy/air force to be renamed the ROYAL canadian navy or ROYAL canadian air force. FFS.

PS: And I dont want 55k immigrants a year either.

55,000 legal immigrants a year doesnt impact Canada as bad as 1,000,000 a year does the US. When approx 33,000,000 Americans are out of work, allowing 1/33rd of that to come into the us is a bad idea in so many ways.

GirlyMan
11-02-2011, 23:39
Quebec should be it's own nation imo. Don't need the Bloc having such a large portion of the seats in parliament, and quite frankly all the fucking french I have to look it up has done nothing to help me learn french and more to destroy the full potential of my english skills.

take your fromage rape off my parmesan cheese package ffs.

StrawberryClock
11-02-2011, 23:44
Anyways on French sovereignty, it'd be impossible now to split Montreal unless you want to see an exodus of English-speakers. Best option is give Quebecois people their own citizenship seperate from Canada and allow for dual-citizenship for anyone that wants it.

And make Montreal a neutral city as well as annexing non-French Quebec.

nizzie
11-02-2011, 23:45

Obvious troll, but nice try.

StrawberryClock
11-02-2011, 23:49
EE;5204130']55,000 legal immigrants a year doesnt impact Canada as bad as 1,000,000 a year does the US. When approx 33,000,000 Americans are out of work, allowing 1/33rd of that to come into the us is a bad idea in so many ways.

55,000 immigrants is low for an entire Canadian province. Toronto itself accepts around 60-70,000 yearly and employment rate is still as consistent as it has ever been and was at historical lows until the recession.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-02-2011, 23:56
EE;5204130']55,000 legal immigrants a year doesnt impact Canada as bad as 1,000,000 a year does the US. When approx 33,000,000 Americans are out of work, allowing 1/33rd of that to come into the us is a bad idea in so many ways.

1 million per year is 1/300thish. 55k per year for Québec, is 1/143th. 1(or 2, I dont remember) third of theses wont learn french living in a french-only province (there is english people but French is the only official language)

If I remember well the unemployement rate in Québec is 7.6% or 600k 55000/600000 or 1/11th of per year, yeah you're pretty much talking out of your ass.

Anyways on French sovereignty, it'd be impossible now to split Montreal unless you want to see an exodus of English-speakers. Best option is give Quebecois people their own citizenship seperate from Canada and allow for dual-citizenship for anyone that wants it.

And make Montreal a neutral city as well as annexing non-French Quebec. You seem to be thinking that an independant Québec would line-up english speakers and shoot them on sight. They're more then welcome to live in our society, most of them can speak french decently anyway.

55,000 immigrants is low for an entire Canadian province. Toronto itself accepts around 60-70,000 yearly and employment rate is still as consistent as it has ever been and was at historical lows until the recession.Ontario receive 60% of the 250k immigrants per year. Québec receives a bit more then 20% the rest is split with all the other provinces. It's Ontario's fault for not bitching about it.

PS: Pretty sure the vast majority of immigrants live in Montréal or in the surrounding area. I was born in Sherbrooke and had never seen a black person in my life until 13 years old when I moved to Montréal.

[LoD] EE
11-03-2011, 00:05
1 million per year is 1/300thish. 55k per year for Québec, is 1/143th. 1(or 2, I dont remember) third of theses wont learn french living in a french-only province (there is english people but French is the only official language)

If I remember well the unemployement rate in Québec is 7.6% or 600k 55000/600000 or 1/11th of per year, yeah you're pretty much talking out of your ass.

How am I talking out of my ass? 1 million is 1/33rd of 33 million people, which is 10% of the population. Really though, the rate is higher because 10% of the population is not the true unemployment number.

Per http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

"The number of unemployed persons, at 14.0 million, was essentially unchanged in September, and the unemployment rate was 9.1 percent. Since April, the rate has held in a narrow range from 9.0 to 9.2 percent. (See table A-1.)"

My comment still stands. Until we get our unemployment numbers down to a normal 5-6%, we should stop all legal immigration while focusing on removing illegals. There is no reason why we are importing more unemployed to suck on the teat of the tax payers, we have enough.

StrawberryClock
11-03-2011, 00:11

You seem to be thinking that an independant Québec would line-up english speakers and shoot them on sight. They're more then welcome to live in our society, most of them can speak french decently anyway.

Most immigrants in Quebec are primarily in Montreal. Historically almost all Montreal immigrants, most notably Italian and Jewish immigrants and even further back Irish and Scottish immigrants, never speak French. Now Arab, Russian, Haitian and Chinese people learn English. So I see your point there.

Complete independence will fail for two reasons. English is the dominant business language and both sides are tied to Toronto and the rest of the Canadian economy. So if you use French solely, you'll destroy the economy. Alongside the fact that America is the biggest trade partner.

Second their will be riots and mass protests of 40% of Montreal and almost all of Northern Quebec, half of the province, (Cree and Inuit lands) and parts of South western Quebec(English-speakers) if they don't want to leave. It will be worst then the Quebecois separatists. The grey and red and orange areas are very English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quebec_langues.png) and will want a split alongside the two huge norther chunks in north and west quebec.

Again its split within a split and make Montreal neutral. Quebec City is already 95% French so it doesn't matter there.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-03-2011, 00:16
EE;5204169']How am I talking out of my ass? 1 million is 1/33rd of 33 million people, which is 10% of the population. Really though, the rate is higher because 10% of the population is not the true unemployment number.

"The number of unemployed persons, at 14.0 million, was essentially unchanged in September, and the unemployment rate was 9.1 percent. Since April, the rate has held in a narrow range from 9.0 to 9.2 percent. (See table A-1.)"

My comment still stands. Until we get our unemployment numbers down to a normal 5-6%, we should stop all legal immigration while focusing on removing illegals. There is no reason why we are importing more unemployed to suck on the teat of the tax payers, we have enough.

250k immigrants a year for 34 million population (The total), I dont remember what the unemployment rate is for the whole country.

Just read on statistics Canada it's 7.1% 250k new immigrants with 2 414 000 unemployed persons in the country. Your immigration situation is better then ours. 55k was only for one of the 10 provinces and 3 territories. Québec is however the largest province (second total except if count our stolen Labrador, I think.) but the second in term of population.

StrawberryClock
11-03-2011, 00:16
EE;5204169']How am I talking out of my ass? 1 million is 1/33rd of 33 million people, which is 10% of the population. Really though, the rate is higher because 10% of the population is not the true unemployment number.

Read my reply.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-03-2011, 01:27
Most immigrants in Quebec are primarily in Montreal. Historically almost all Montreal immigrants, most notably Italian and Jewish immigrants and even further back Irish and Scottish immigrants, never speak French. Now Arab, Russian, Haitian and Chinese people learn English. So I see your point there.

Complete independence will fail for two reasons. English is the dominant business language and both sides are tied to Toronto and the rest of the Canadian economy. So if you use French solely, you'll destroy the economy. Alongside the fact that America is the biggest trade partner.

Second their will be riots and mass protests of 40% of Montreal and almost all of Northern Quebec, half of the province, (Cree and Inuit lands) and parts of South western Quebec(English-speakers) if they don't want to leave. It will be worst then the Quebecois separatists. The grey and red and orange areas are very English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quebec_langues.png) and will want a split alongside the two huge norther chunks in north and west quebec.

Again its split within a split and make Montreal neutral. Quebec City is already 95% French so it doesn't matter there.

meh Immigrants moving to Québec should learn french, if they know 2 languages, they probably already know english anyway.

Lando
11-03-2011, 02:52
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15542820

'Hackers' cut Palestinian phone and internet systems

Also, israel stopped money transfer to palestina and increased the speed of building illegal settlements.

StrawberryClock
11-03-2011, 06:15
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15542820

Also, israel stopped money transfer to palestina and increased the speed of building illegal settlements.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/11/2011111185023514728.html

Netanyahu and gang just announced further plans to territorially conquer Palestine and in particular the heart of Palestinian social, economic and political life, East Jerusalem. This is honestly one of the worst cases of ethnic-cleansing in the world when not considering Sudan.

You either get starved, detained, kept in bantustans or your home and land appropriated. Atleast in some of the most morally-degraded states, China and Russia, they give their oppressed minorities better treatment and respect cultural land rights, alongside repressing them. Israel is too racist to care.

meh Immigrants moving to Québec should learn french, if they know 2 languages, they probably already know english anyway.

I'd agree with you since Quebec was conquered and culturally imposed by English-speakers. Its why French-Canadian people were the poorest people in their own country for a while, due to Anglo-centric policies.

But theirs a point to be made when forcing French only against English-speakers, since nobody would like that. Best is a compromise, increase French education and use but respect the English in Quebec.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-03-2011, 06:43
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/11/2011111185023514728.html

But theirs a point to be made when forcing French only against English-speakers, since nobody would like that. Best is a compromise, increase French education and use but respect the English in Quebec.

yeah but I had to go to the Hopital général de Montréal a few weeks back. Pissed me the fuck off that nobody would speak french to me and just assumed I was ok with them speaking english.

Irenor
11-03-2011, 11:24
yeah but I had to go to the Hopital général de Montréal a few weeks back. Pissed me the fuck off that nobody would speak french to me and just assumed I was ok with them speaking english.

You should see that as an opportunity to improve your speech in English, at least that's how I look at it when it happens to me :D

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-03-2011, 12:17
You should see that as an opportunity to improve your speech in English, at least that's how I look at it when it happens to me :D

strangely it makes me want to bring a baseball bat next time.

88Chaz88
11-03-2011, 12:20

You live in an English speaking majority country. Deal with it.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-03-2011, 12:50
You live in an English speaking majority country. Deal with it.

I live in a french-speaking majority province.

PS: Québec has been recognized in the past as a nation by the current prime minister.

The Québécois nation motion was a parliamentary motion tabled by Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper on Wednesday, November 22, 2006[1] and approved by the Canadian House of Commons on Monday, November 27, 2006.[2] The English motion read:

"That this House recognize that the Québécois form a nation within a united Canada."[3]

and, in French, read:

"Que cette Chambre reconnaisse que les Québécoises et les Québécois forment une nation au sein d'un Canada uni."

StainlessSteelRat
11-03-2011, 15:24
I have no idea what you are verifying,

Reading the posts usually helps figure that out. Hint: I wasn't 'verifying' anything.

Krag
11-03-2011, 17:25
Montreal should split from QC, let them vote in referedum then. Sick of backwards paysans in the wilderness mooching off Montreal, they can have their own stupid country and be the Greece of North of America.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-03-2011, 18:39
Montreal should split from QC, let them vote in referedum then. Sick of backwards paysans in the wilderness mooching off Montreal, they can have their own stupid country and be the Greece of North of America.

not

Greywind
11-04-2011, 02:24
Netanyahu and gang just announced further plans to territorially conquer Palestine and in particular the heart of Palestinian social, economic and political life, East Jerusalem. This is honestly when not considering Sudan.
Since when Jerusalem become heart of Palestinian "social, economic and political life"?
So called Palestinian never own this city. Ever.
As for "one of the worst cases of ethnic-cleansing in the world" you probably forget how Jordanian got E.J. in first place.

"Israel is too racist to care"
Says who?
Fact is so called palestinians rely more on humanity of Israeli then own "brothers" if you look at facts.
In fact Israel treat so called palestinian better than other arab countries.
In fact Israeli arabs have more rights then Syrian, Egyptians and rest of them together.

Forker
11-04-2011, 02:47
Since when Jerusalem become heart of Palestinian "social, economic and political life"?
So called Palestinian never own this city. Ever.

1967 treaty which clearly outlines the borders gives the eastern half to palestine. Before that it was administered by jordan post 1948 war. You are being intellectually dishonest. Before you attempt to reject the UNSC borders, keep in mind the only reason Israel exists at all is due to the same council.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-04-2011, 03:04
1967 treaty which clearly outlines the borders gives the eastern half to palestine. Before that it was administered by jordan post 1948 war. You are being intellectually dishonest. Before you attempt to reject the UNSC borders, keep in mind the only reason Israel exists at all is due to the same council.

Canada axing funds to UNESCO.

Forker
11-04-2011, 04:43
Canada axing funds to UNESCO.

It's no surprise and the USA has done the same thing, and harper takes his orders from the whitehouse. How dare unesco have a democratic vote that succeeded in bringing Palestine into an organization that even the cook islands are part of! :rolleyes:

The best part is Israel responding by sayin they're going to "speed up" the construction of 2k more homes, like they would do something other than what they're doing.

Make no mistake, this will never end. The whole point of Israel existing is to stir up shit in the middle east. Otherwise they would agree to the camp david accords, which they refuse to do.

Krag
11-04-2011, 04:59
lol you make it sound like the middle east would be a fabulous place if jews weren't there. so deluded by racism.

StrawberryClock
11-04-2011, 06:04
lol you make it sound like the middle east would be a fabulous place if jews weren't there. so deluded by racism.

We can guarantee that Palestinian life in the West Bank and Gaza would be better if Israel wasn't there.

Forker
11-04-2011, 06:25
We can guarantee that Palestinian life in the West Bank and Gaza would be better if Israel wasn't there.

hitler talked about putting them on madagascar at one point, proly would've been a better place. it's not like africa south of the equator has ever done anything that ever mattered anyway (besides aids). probably would have cilivized them with frugal bankers in charge of things :sly:

Sqarak
11-04-2011, 08:19
I live in a french-speaking majority province.

PS: Québec has been recognized in the past as a nation by the current prime minister.

You should come live in Belgium then you can throw communitarian hissyfits every day.
If you live in a bilingual country then the ones refusing to learn both are the idiots. If you know both, it is irrelevant in which language you are addressed. If something is a bit difficult to comprehend you can always ask them to repeat it in French or English.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-04-2011, 09:28
You should come live in Belgium then you can throw communitarian hissyfits every day.
If you live in a bilingual country then the ones refusing to learn both are the idiots. If you know both, it is irrelevant in which language you are addressed. If something is a bit difficult to comprehend you can always ask them to repeat it in French or English.

Québec is not bilingual it has only one official language, french. Canada is however bilingual.

here's some numbers. Please note that they are 5 years old.

Language -> native speakers -> percentage of singular responses
French 5,877,660 80.1%
English 575,555 7.8%
Italian 124,820 1.7%
Spanish 108,790 1.5%
Arabic 108,105 1.5%
Chinese 63,415 0.9%
Berber 41,845 0.6%
Portuguese 34,710 0.5%
Romanian 27,180 0.4%
Vietnamese 25,370 0.3%
Russian 19,275 0.3%
German 17,855 0.2%
Polish 17,305 0.2%
Armenian 15,520 0.2%
Persian 14,655 0.2%
Creole 14,060 0.2%
Cree 13,340 0.2%
Punjabi 11,905 0.2%
Tagalog 11,785 0.2%

the list goes on with 0.1%ers. French is severely dominant.

French is the second most common language in Canada, after English, and both are official languages at the federal level. French is the sole official language in the province of Quebec, being the mother tongue for some 7 million people, or almost 80.1% (2006 Census) of the Province. About 95.0% of the people of Quebec speak French as either their first or second language, and for some as their third language. Quebec is also home to the city of Montreal, which is the world's second largest French speaking city, by number of first language speakers. New Brunswick, where about a third of the population is francophone, is the only officially bilingual province. Portions of Eastern Ontario, Northeastern Ontario, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Alberta and Manitoba have sizable French minorities, and many provinces provide service in French for its linguistic minorities. Smaller pockets of French speakers exist in all other provinces.

About 9,487,500 of Canadians speak French as their first language, or around 30% of the country,[27][28] with 2,065,300 constituting secondary speakers.[29] Due to the increased bilingual school programs and French Immersion Classes in English Canada, the portion of Canadians proficient in French has risen significantly in the past two decades, and is still rising.

The difference between French spoken in Quebec and French spoken in France is similar in degree to that between American and British English. In Quebec, where the majority of French-speaking Canadians live, the Office québécois de la langue française (English: Quebec Board of the French language) regulates Quebec French and ensures the Charter of the French Language (Bill 101 & 104) is respected. The Office québécois de la langue française determined that "stop" is a valid French word; however, it is observed that stop signs reading "ARRÊT" predominate in French-speaking areas, and "STOP" can be found in majority English-speaking areas.

it's not as good as the french one, but it's decent. I dont understand how 7 million people on 7.9 million represent 80.1% though

Also lately (since he has the majority) Stephen Harper has been giving important jobs in Canada to uni-lingual english speakers which is not lawful.

Exemple: He elected 2 uni-lingual english speaker judges to the supreme court of Canada. It is unlawful because it is a constitutional right to be judged in french or english depending on personal preference.

Sqarak
11-04-2011, 10:38
Belgium is also biligual, while Flanders and Wallonia respectively should only be governed in either Flemish or French*. Brussels is the third community which is biligual.
When I'm in Brussels I am fully in my right to get any service in Flemish, this is however not the case, but I don't give a rats ass. Their lack of Flemish language comprehension is my gain, as I can speak French just the same, but if I decide to discuss something in Flemish with a friends they have no clue what we are telling each other.

*As the German Community falls under Wallonia, German is actually the second official language, but I doubt that the average French speaking official speaks German at all. In both Flanders and Wallonia there are exceptions for municipalities with language facilities, this is however a source of continuous political unrest between Flemish and Wallonian nationalists (for a lack of a better word)

88Chaz88
11-04-2011, 10:45
Belgium is also biligual.

According to the best of my knowledge (which could be wrong) an confirmed by wikipedia (which could be equally wrong) Belgium is actually trilingual.

Sqarak
11-04-2011, 10:45
According to the best of my knowledge (which could be wrong) an confirmed by wikipedia (which could be equally wrong) Belgium is actually trilingual.

As I said, no one cares about the Germans.

Also you are only expected to be bilingual. German isn't even a mandatory class in high school anymore.

88Chaz88
11-04-2011, 10:49
As I said, no one cares about the Germans.

Also you are only expected to be bilingual. German isn't even a mandatory class in high school anymore.

There was a period where French wasn't a mandatory class in Canada. :p

Forker
11-04-2011, 11:14

i took french from grade 1 - grade 11 and can speak better german than french. i took 2 years of german in highschool. Canadian french classes are a scam. I knew a girl from quebec that failed grade 9 french inspite of being completely bi-lingual.

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-04-2011, 11:32
i took french from grade 1 - grade 11 and can speak better german than french. i took 2 years of german in highschool. Canadian french classes are a scam. I knew a girl from quebec that failed grade 9 french inspite of being completely bi-lingual.

there's a lot of people able to speak french but cant write it. Plus she was most likely speaking teenager not french.

Genre tsé là j'y ai dit d'arrêter d'me gosser lolo

StainlessSteelRat
11-04-2011, 14:08
I think, before we go any further, we must first acknowledge the fact that no Canadian speaks French.

They may speak something other than English, but it certainly doesn't qualify as French. ;)

Krag
11-04-2011, 14:45

The income per capita of arabs in the territories was 50% higher before 1994, when yassar arafat sent them on a jihad and they've been big losers ever since. They have only themselves to blame for that.

Also wanna know who the best off arabs in the mideast are (excluding petrol nations)? Israeli Arabs have the highest income. Seems like arabs have a lot to learn from a great society like Israel, and would be better off if they did.

Aragoni
11-04-2011, 14:48
The income per capita of arabs in the territories was 50% higher before 1994, when yassar arafat sent them on a jihad and they've been big losers ever since. They have only themselves to blame for that.

Also wanna know who the best off arabs in the mideast are (excluding petrol nations)? Israeli Arabs have the highest income. Seems like arabs have a lot to learn from a great society like Israel, and would be better off if they did.

Sources please. :)

StrawberryClock
11-04-2011, 16:41

Though a source would be fine, I wouldn't be surprised. Before 1991, before any suicide attack happened or even the intififada, Israel placed movement restrictions on Palestinians barring movement between Arab communities from Palestine to other territories and to Arab-Israeli towns.

After that, Israel has placed one of the worst embargos today on Gaza and even less well known despite being just as bad, other parts of the West Bank.

Why is it just the Palestinians blame? Israel has yet to allow Palestinian economy to flourish by barring goods, and destroyed their only means of livelihood a few years ago. Coupled with the fact that Palestinians get barely any water and cannot get fertilizer or anything to start an economy.

Fine then give every Palestinian in the Occupied Territories an Israeli citizenship and make it a bi-state. Instead of making them second class citizens, not even citizens just prisoners, and making them starve in their own territories.

StrawberryClock
11-04-2011, 16:47

Canadian French classes was horrible IMO. Even though we had an actual French immigrant teach us, it was just so slow and boring.

Mostly too repetitive and too much focus on learning lexicon.

Krag
11-04-2011, 18:46
Israel placed movement restrictions on Palestinians barring movement between Arab communities from Palestine to other territories and to Arab-Israeli towns.

After that, Israel has placed one of the worst embargos today on Gaza and even less well known despite being just as bad, other parts of the West Bank.

They earned restrictions when they started blowing up schoolbuses & restaurants. If restrictions were removed, Hamas would be setting off bombs again 2 days later.

StrawberryClock
11-04-2011, 21:13
They earned restrictions when they started blowing up schoolbuses & restaurants. If restrictions were removed, Hamas would be setting off bombs again 2 days later.

These restrictions were in 1991, preceding suicide bombings. Israel had amazingly better ideas behind it, in that from the time of occupation in 67 to that year, economic betterment and benefits would make Palestinians forget independence aspirations and because it was cheap labor that could replace Mizrahim immigrants.

Suicide bombings occurred much later after Hamas et al rose and towards the end of the intifada.

Greywind
11-05-2011, 02:59
1967 treaty which clearly outlines the borders gives the eastern half to palestine.
What treaty?

Before that it was administered by jordan post 1948 war. You are being intellectually dishonest.
WOW
What an arrogance! Look who is talking about intellectual honesty!
Jordan annex WB and EJ as simple as this all this talk about keeping it in trust for Pals is pathetic cover. Same as Egyptian keep Gaza. They keep it for 19 yr without forming even formal local gov!
Simple fact is Jordan annex WB and EJ. They give all arabs Jordanian citizenship and kill/displace jews on this lands, vandalize jewish holy places. Fact is Arab themselves dont recognize Palestine. Actions speak louder then words

Before you attempt to reject the UNSC borders, keep in mind the only reason Israel exists at all is due to the same council.
Only reason Israel exist is jews manage to defend themselves. They dont own anything to UN even cost of paper this decision wad print on.
In fact this idiotic UN partition one of the main reason this conflict still going on.
Two state could co-exist the way UN partition them only on one condition. BOTH STATES AGREED. As everyone knows Arab reject it and so it's dead. Killed by arabs and there is no return to it

The whole point of Israel existing is to stir up shit in the middle east. Otherwise they would agree to the camp david accords, which they refuse to do.
WTF are you talking about?

Yeah we can see it on example of Syria

Though a source would be fine, I wouldn't be surprised. Before 1991, before any suicide attack happened or even the intififada, Israel placed movement restrictions on Palestinians barring movement between Arab communities from Palestine to other territories and to Arab-Israeli towns.
Before 1991 all restriction were place on movement from territories to Israel proper. All major restriction and finally wall were donr in direct response to terror attack

After that, Israel has placed one of the worst embargos today on Gaza
After what Straw? After hamas switch to rockets? Ah those jews! How dare are they to defend themselves from harmless rockets!

StainlessSteelRat
11-05-2011, 14:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeUGqeYsQg

Ragnarok Delrhe
11-05-2011, 22:32

french is still not mandatory in Canada. it might be mandatory for high schools to provide french classes but I doubt the classes are actually mandatory.

I think, before we go any further, we must first acknowledge the fact that no Canadian speaks French.

They may speak something other than English, but it certainly doesn't qualify as French. actually it is french for those of us trying to speak it well. You may want to call it a quebecer french or french-canadian french for outside Quebec but even France doesnt speak an internationally accepted french they speak a France french.

Also French was the official language in Québec before it was in France.

If I remember well, in Québec it was in the 16xx or 17xx while France was over a century later. (I cant find the article on that) but basically both in Québec and in France, people were using several tribal/regional languages, it was decided in Québec to use, write and teach one language instead of several. it took longer for the french.