PDA

View Full Version : Can dual screening impair my PC's performances ?

Styrr Chipatama
10-28-2011, 20:10
Hey.

So, I have two screens, a 1680*1xxx whatever, and a second one that has 1024*768.

Does it has any influence on ingame performances ? I mean, will it lower my FPS, say, by 10, 20 ?

Rimayven
10-28-2011, 20:30
It will.

muddymess
10-28-2011, 21:37
Unplug one while playing intensive games = win.

I don't notice a big increase in FPS if I unplug my secondary screen though.

iza
10-28-2011, 22:18
Yes, it will have an impact. How much depends on a lot of things. I think the latest ATI cards have better multi-screen performance than NVIDIA.

Viluin
10-28-2011, 22:41
The impact should be almost negligible. Not enough to warrant disconnecting it. I've been running multiple monitors for a week now and I haven't even noticed any difference.

I have to warn you though, Windows is extremely flawed in the sense that if you play a fullscreen game/movie on your main monitor and click somewhere on your second monitor, the game/movie will lose focus. This means games will be minimized and movies will lose their fullscreen status and become windowed. So you won't be able to browse the web while gaming without minimizing the game, in which case you might as well ditch the second monitor and just alt+tab out of the game.

I haven't found a way to fix this yet, if anyone knows I'd be happy to hear. Windows 8 may or may not solve the problem, but I'm not using a silly pre-beta OS.

muddymess
10-29-2011, 09:47
The impact should be almost negligible. Not enough to warrant disconnecting it. I've been running multiple monitors for a week now and I haven't even noticed any difference.

I have to warn you though, Windows is extremely flawed in the sense that if you play a fullscreen game/movie on your main monitor and click somewhere on your second monitor, the game/movie will lose focus. This means games will be minimized and movies will lose their fullscreen status and become windowed. So you won't be able to browse the web while gaming without minimizing the game, in which case you might as well ditch the second monitor and just alt+tab out of the game.

I haven't found a way to fix this yet, if anyone knows I'd be happy to hear. Windows 8 may or may not solve the problem, but I'm not using a silly pre-beta OS.

Windowed mode without titlebar, works like a charm.

Bissen
10-29-2011, 10:00
No difference at all here. Radeon 5870 - i7 920 @ 3.6 - 6 gb ram.

And no problem either with clicking on second monitor and losing focus to it.

Ghias
10-29-2011, 10:07
It has to decrease performance
More pixels to draw costs something. They don't appear magically on the second monitor.

Styrr Chipatama
10-29-2011, 13:10
It has to decrease performance
More pixels to draw costs something. They don't appear magically on the second monitor.

Yes, that's more or less what drove me to unplug my second one until I change my rig.
Wich, by the way is :
dual core 2.2 ghz
Geforce gtx 260
2 x 2 Giga RAM DDR3
And, well, not to say the difference was obvious, but it still work better - it seems.
:3

Viluin
10-29-2011, 13:12
Windowed mode without titlebar, works like a charm.

Hmm, not many games support that though.

ZeroCool
10-30-2011, 17:37
It makes your video card run a lot hotter to have 2 monitors going through it. If you want max performance for games, unplug it.

Viluin
10-30-2011, 18:48
It makes your video card run a lot hotter to have 2 monitors going through it. If you want max performance for games, unplug it.

Lol, no it doesn't.

muddymess
10-30-2011, 19:06
Hmm, not many games support that though.

You can set the titlebar off with an ahk script for example.

Effeh
10-30-2011, 19:29
/*
Borderless window script. Press Ctrl+Alt+P when a window is active to make it a fullscreen borderless window. (1920 * 1080)
*/

^!p::
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, a
WinMove, a, , 0, 0, 1920, 1080
return

That's an autohotkey script I use to get some games and programs to work in a "maximized window" so that you can click off. Won't work on everything. Gotta adjust your res obviously. Hotkey is ctrl+alt+P

muddymess
10-30-2011, 19:42
;-Caption
LWIN & LButton::
SetTitleMatchMode, 2
WinGetPos, X, Y, Width, Height, A
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
WinMove,A,,0,0,1920,1080
return
;

;+Caption
LWIN & RButton::
WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, A
WinMove,A,,%X%,%Y%,%Width%,%Height%
Sleep, 1000
Sleep, 1000
return
;

windows button + left/right mouse to toggle title. Doesn't resize your window.

ZeroCool
10-30-2011, 22:52
Lol, no it doesn't.

Yes it does, look at your temp before and after activating your second monitor. More rendering for video card = more heat. Like I said no one should ever take computer advice from you.

Viluin
10-30-2011, 23:14
Yes it does, look at your temp before and after activating your second monitor. More rendering for video card = more heat. Like I said no one should ever take computer advice from you.

Sorry, you were right, it made a difference of two degrees celcius. :rolleyes: That's not even worth mentioning. It's because the GPU needs to pull more power (current) for the second output, not because of the rendering load (which is insignificant, GPU activity is 0-3% on the desktop).

EDIT: Apparently Nvidia cards disable all power saving measures and let the core clock run at 3d speeds when a second monitor is attached, so you may see bigger temperature increases as well as a massive power consumption jump. Another reason to buy AMD.

Now look at your framerates with and without a second monitor. Deactivating it before gaming simply isn't worth the effort.

freakd
10-30-2011, 23:23
Sorry, you were right, it made a difference of two degrees celcius. :rolleyes: That's not even worth mentioning. It's because power saving measures are reduced with multiple monitors.

Now look at your framerates with and without a second monitor. Deactivating it before gaming simply isn't worth the effort.

/agreed