PDA

View Full Version : CPU upgrade vs Graphics card

PirateGlen
10-28-2011, 09:25
So I got BF3 and it seems OKAY. I got it on lowest settings because I don't care if it looks like balls. (it looks great even low) My problem is that during intense fights or just randomly the game itself lags hard or I get mouse lag, while one is worse than the other... both give me too many opportunities to imagine myself nerd raging if I had that personality.

I have AM3 socket with AMD Athlon II X4 630.
I have ATI Radeon HD 4600.

I call upon the nerdiness of Forumfall to inform me what I should do that will be cheap but also make BF3 run smooth.

If you want to know more specs here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01975707&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4120616&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Death's Chill
10-28-2011, 09:33
New GPU, a 6870 or 6950, about 200$ and you'll run it smoothly on high settings.

Just make sure your power supply is up to par. You don't want a cheap one.

Ragnarok Delrhe
10-28-2011, 09:45
So I got BF3 and it seems OKAY. I got it on lowest settings because I don't care if it looks like balls. (it looks great even low) My problem is that during intense fights or just randomly the game itself lags hard or I get mouse lag, while one is worse than the other... both give me too many opportunities to imagine myself nerd raging if I had that personality.

I have AM3 socket with AMD Athlon II X4 630.
I have ATI Radeon HD 4600.

I call upon the nerdiness of Forumfall to inform me what I should do that will be cheap but also make BF3 run smooth.

If you want to know more specs here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01975707&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4120616&tmp_track_link=ot_search
You made 2 fatal mistake, but do not get discouraged, they're both the same company. Your mistakes were buying from AMD/ATI. Go buy real gear. in your case a graphic card is highly required, even going with ATI.

Malikye
10-28-2011, 10:18
BF3 does have a pretty neat lil graph built into the game that shows the latency in communication between the game and CPU / GPU via a 2-colored graph, which would be really helpful to determine wether it's your CPU or GPU that is lacking the most.

Basicly, you'll be wanting a smooth line as close to the bottom as possible, since it is measuring the latency in MS. A spiky graph indicates that the hardware is not able to cope with what the game is requiring of it at that certain event.

http://www.qbasix.com/BF3%20perf%20graph.JPG

More info can be found in this topic -> http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1445046-bf3-performance-graph-pure-goodness.html

PirateGlen
10-28-2011, 11:25
BF3 does have a pretty neat lil graph built into the game that shows the latency in communication between the game and CPU / GPU via a 2-colored graph, which would be really helpful to determine wether it's your CPU or GPU that is lacking the most.

Basicly, you'll be wanting a smooth line as close to the bottom as possible, since it is measuring the latency in MS. A spiky graph indicates that the hardware is not able to cope with what the game is requiring of it at that certain event.

http://www.qbasix.com/BF3%20perf%20graph.JPG

More info can be found in this topic -> http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1445046-bf3-performance-graph-pure-goodness.html

Thanks this is showing LOTS of variation and lots of spikes mostly in CPU. The GPU seems to just keep pace with whatever the CPU is at. :(

zato`1
10-28-2011, 14:35
cards fine especially if you use ATI tray tools for the proper ATI overdrive, but your cpu has gotta go and its probably old/dusty/inefficient in addition to just slow

PirateGlen
10-28-2011, 15:03
cards fine especially if you use ATI tray tools for the proper ATI overdrive, but your cpu has gotta go and its probably old/dusty/inefficient in addition to just slow

From some research it's possible that I might have disabled L3 cache if it's an older Athlon II but it sounds like I would need a new motherboard to enable ACC to even find out.

Viluin
10-28-2011, 15:36
There is no way that CPU is bottlenecking that piece of shit card, lol. HD4600 is a joke. But both should preferably be upgraded. The Athlon II line isn't a good choice for gaming, it's mostly meant for office / HTPC / your mom's computer. Same story with the HD4600, it's even less suited for modern games.

If you can only upgrade one, I'd recommend the GPU. Get, say, a HD6850. Possibly a HD6870 if the price difference is only a few bucks. If you can upgrade both I'd recommend a bigger GPU like the 6950, along with a new CPU depending on your motherboard. PSU upgrade may be required as well. In fact it probably will if it's just as shit as the rest of your system.

What motherboard do you have?

EDIT: Just clicked the link. Oh my god, the horror. 6GB RAM on an AMD PC (no Dual Channel), micro-ATX motherboard and a 300w power supply. Kill it with fire. And buy a new PC. This one is too far gone to upgrade, seriously. But if you must, get a HD6850/6870 with a new PSU. For a CPU upgrade you'd have to build an entirely new system because I would not trust that micro-ATX board with a high-powered CPU. A lot of them can't handle the wattage required.

Kuruptix
10-28-2011, 16:56
just to let you homos know

i can run everything on high/ultra

with a phenom x2 3.2 ghz
8 gig ram
evega 570 gpu

So this game is mostly GPU intensive, the cpu is important but not that important, not saying you can run it with a shitty cpu lolz

ChopSuey
10-28-2011, 17:12
How on the earth u play with Intergrated graphics??????????????? :eek:

go get at least a 6870

Ragnarok Delrhe
10-28-2011, 17:37
just to let you homos know

i can run everything on high/ultra

with a phenom x2 3.2 ghz
8 gig ram
evega 570 gpu

So this game is mostly GPU intensive, the cpu is important but not that important, not saying you can run it with a shitty cpu lolz
the difference between medium settings and ultra is highly GPU related, in every game. For exemple, in darkfall I didnt have more fps with my gtx 470 compared to my 2 sli gtx 275 until I put shadows to max then the difference was almost catastrophic for the gtx 275s.

Death's Chill
10-28-2011, 18:45
The CPU handles different things than the GPU. Primarily physics and some effects and particles. It's not the primary factor for gaming and even if it's your bottleneck you will still get high fps, but also more swing (your fps will dip more when those physics and effects come into play).

Your current PC is truly horrible man, sorry. I wouldn't upgrade upon further examination, you'd have to buy a new motherboard psu and GPU plus a new cpu..

PirateGlen
10-28-2011, 21:24
There is no way that CPU is bottlenecking that piece of shit card, lol. HD4600 is a joke. But both should preferably be upgraded. The Athlon II line isn't a good choice for gaming, it's mostly meant for office / HTPC / your mom's computer. Same story with the HD4600, it's even less suited for modern games.

If you can only upgrade one, I'd recommend the GPU. Get, say, a HD6850. Possibly a HD6870 if the price difference is only a few bucks. If you can upgrade both I'd recommend a bigger GPU like the 6950, along with a new CPU depending on your motherboard. PSU upgrade may be required as well. In fact it probably will if it's just as shit as the rest of your system.

What motherboard do you have?

EDIT: Just clicked the link. Oh my god, the horror. 6GB RAM on an AMD PC (no Dual Channel), micro-ATX motherboard and a 300w power supply. Kill it with fire. And buy a new PC. This one is too far gone to upgrade, seriously. But if you must, get a HD6850/6870 with a new PSU. For a CPU upgrade you'd have to build an entirely new system because I would not trust that micro-ATX board with a high-powered CPU. A lot of them can't handle the wattage required.

The PSU is 600w (but it's still cheap). Ram is 2x 4gb sticks @ 1333 Mhz. What confuses me about the BF3 graphing is that while other people's seem to have 2 lines at different levels my GPU line follows the CPU line. I don't understand how GPU would be the bottleneck if that's the case.

PirateGlen
10-28-2011, 21:24
How on the earth u play with Intergrated graphics??????????????? :eek:

go get at least a 6870

It's not integrated.

Viluin
10-28-2011, 22:28
The PSU is 600w (but it's still cheap). Ram is 2x 4gb sticks @ 1333 Mhz. What confuses me about the BF3 graphing is that while other people's seem to have 2 lines at different levels my GPU line follows the CPU line. I don't understand how GPU would be the bottleneck if that's the case.

Hmm, so your setup is not the same as the PC you linked.

Can you post a screenshot of the graph?

With that PSU you should have enough room for a reasonable GPU upgrade, such as the HD6850 or HD6870. I wouldn't go any higher though, due to the mediocre CPU. Do you know what model the PSU is? Or you could look at the sticker on the PSU and tell us how many amps it has on the 12v line(s).

PirateGlen
10-28-2011, 23:19
Hmm, so your setup is not the same as the PC you linked.
Ya, not exactly. I upgraded the ram recently and psu with video card right when I got it.

Can you post a screenshot of the graph?
http://i40.tinypic.com/2pzi5p0.jpg
This is typical moving around in game and turning. It seems like there's zero relationship between the graph and the mouselag I get in game.

With that PSU you should have enough room for a reasonable GPU upgrade, such as the HD6850 or HD6870. I wouldn't go any higher though, due to the mediocre CPU. Do you know what model the PSU is? Or you could look at the sticker on the PSU and tell us how many amps it has on the 12v line(s).
This is the PSU:
http://www.frys.com/product/5919434

Viluin
10-28-2011, 23:53
Ya, not exactly. I upgraded the ram recently and psu with video card right when I got it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2pzi5p0.jpg
This is typical moving around in game and turning. It seems like there's zero relationship between the graph and the mouselag I get in game.

This is the PSU:
http://www.frys.com/product/5919434

Not sure how you can conclude from that the there's a CPU bottleneck, lol. I highly doubt that CPU would bottleneck a HD4600, in fact I'm certain of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

This should work. Your PSU isn't very good but it should be able to handle that card just fine, and the upgrade over your current GPU is substantial.

Mouse lag may be caused by Vsync, try turning that off in options if it's on.

ChopSuey
10-28-2011, 23:56
It's not integrated.

yes it is ;)

PirateGlen
10-29-2011, 00:11
Not sure how you can conclude from that the there's a CPU bottleneck, lol. I highly doubt that CPU would bottleneck a HD4600, in fact I'm certain of it.
I wasn't sure either way. I guess they're both just equally bad and that's why they hug eachother.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

This should work. Your PSU isn't very good but it should be able to handle that card just fine, and the upgrade over your current GPU is substantial.

Mouse lag may be caused by Vsync, try turning that off in options if it's on.

Vsync is off. From what little research I did it seems like people have come up with causes as varied as all the computers for what causes the input lag. Thanks for gpu the recommendation.

zato`1
10-29-2011, 00:24
if you do get a new card, make sure you get the 6870, not the 6850

its so much better than the 6850 for the price it comes at.

ZeroCool
10-29-2011, 01:12
Your processor is fine, your graphics card is sub par though.

If you want improved FPS in games, especially bf3, your going to want to get a newer video card hands down. Better CPU will help slightly, but its mainly for things like extracting, rendering, compressing, editing, etc.

Viluin
10-29-2011, 03:09

HD6870 is like 12% faster for 20% more money.

It doesn't really matter much, either one is good.

Laxe
10-29-2011, 04:04
well medium settings average 35fps spiking from 25 to 60 on 1080p
with lowend pc (955cpu on 4k mhz, 4gb 1600mhz ram, old HD 4850)

if i put in 560TI i could roll on ultra settings without noticing any spikes or low fps

imo no point to waste thousands of dolars into top end gaming rig

PirateGlen
10-29-2011, 04:19

Here's comparison of stuff. I see about 20% performance gain for 35% gain in cost. Might be worth it anyways. I'll consider it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html

Laxe
10-29-2011, 04:23

i will never ever buy ati video cards, drivers and catalist software is so shit that it only wastes my time, not to mention shadows not working properly on every second game

il better pay 40$ more and get a little bit faster nvidia card that has decent drivers and software

Viluin
10-29-2011, 05:40
i will never ever buy ati video cards, drivers and catalist software is so shit that it only wastes my time, not to mention shadows not working properly on every second game

il better pay 40$ more and get a little bit faster nvidia card that has decent drivers and software

What's wrong with ATI drivers? They work just fine.

Only game I've ever had shadow issues with was Darkfall, and only a fool enables shadows in Darkfall because you see less.

Tbh Nvidia has dropped the ball on their "game-support-superiority". You don't see "The way it's meant to be played" on any games anymore because AMD is the biggest player on the market now (for a reason).

Here's comparison of stuff. I see about 20% performance gain for 35% gain in cost. Might be worth it anyways. I'll consider it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html

That's weird, benchmarks of other games show a much smaller difference between the 6850 and 6870. In this case I'd go for the 6870, I think it was $155 on Newegg after a rebate.

zato`1
10-29-2011, 05:55
i upgraded my gf's ASUS nvidia SLI mobo to use 2x 5670s instead... the process was less than user friendly

nvidia really doesnt like you using ATI cards on the nvidia mobos...

Viluin
10-29-2011, 06:00
i upgraded my gf's ASUS nvidia SLI mobo to use 2x 5670s instead... the process was less than user friendly

nvidia really doesnt like you using ATI cards on the nvidia mobos...

Most motherboards support both SLI and Crossfire now, because Nvidia no longer makes chipsets.

zato`1
10-29-2011, 06:08
i had contemplated getting a new tower and mobo for her but i decided it would be too hard and she doesn't cook enough to deserve nice things

ChopSuey
10-29-2011, 08:42
Guys recently i upgraded my Mid Tower computer with the parts below:

ASUS P8Z68 VLX
Intel Core i5 2500K
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Gainward GTS 450 1GB DDR5

Guys,if the mobo has only CrossFireX and not SLI,it would be better get rid of the GTS 450 and put an ATI instead????????????????? for example a 6870

Laxe
10-29-2011, 12:52

ASUS P8Z68 VLX
Intel Core i5 2500K

Guys,if the mobo has only CrossFireX and not SLI,it would be better get rid of the GTS 450 and put an ATI instead????????????????? for example a 6870

your mobo has 2 x pci-e 2.0 (16x+4x)

so i don't think it will be worth

ChopSuey
10-29-2011, 12:54
your mobo has 2 x pci-e 2.0 (16x+4x)

so i don't think it will be worth

so i should get rid of the nvidia card or not?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit i updated the drivers from my laptop and everything got smaller,every icons!!!!!!!!!!! fuck!

Death's Chill
10-29-2011, 13:25

ASUS P8Z68 VLX
Intel Core i5 2500K

Yeah, most likely a better bet to go ATI if the board isn't SLI certified.

so i should get rid of the nvidia card or not?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit i updated the drivers from my laptop and everything got smaller,every icons!!!!!!!!!!! fuck!

Lol, that's the resolution properly adapting to your monitors native level.

iza
10-29-2011, 18:31
The 6870 is more powerful than the 450 regardless... It's roughly equivalent to the GTX 560.
edit: http://www.hwcompare.com/7738/geforce-gts-450-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6870/