PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3: no more skill points.

Grisu
08-04-2011, 06:45
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1185753p1.html

what do you guys think?, i much rather have skill points.

CuriousGeorge
08-04-2011, 06:53
Really old news.

Grisu
08-04-2011, 06:55
3 days old..so ancient.

CuriousGeorge
08-04-2011, 07:01
It was mentioned a year ago, there was a boycott, but the spineless nerds gave up and took it up the arse.

zato`1
08-04-2011, 07:29
skill points were retarded, they had to justify the retardation of the system by adding "synergies" in lower skills thus giving skills like fireball, foh, and t.storm ridiculous end results such as instant 100k damage

this system will make it much easier to balance the skills in relation to each other and will result in greater, more meaningful diversity

88Chaz88
08-04-2011, 09:13
Good. At least they're not just reskinning Diablo 2.

The skill system vastly changed from 1 to 2 aswell.

bmfof
08-04-2011, 10:54
They could've just made skills on lower levels equally useful as higher ones. It kinda sucks that the only actual character progression decisions that are left are through runes and items. Not gonna stop me from playing the game.

alfaroverall
08-04-2011, 12:40
I don't even entirely understand what they mean with respect to the new system. Regardless, having played a fair bit of D2 just recently, I'll admit that they're right about one thing: in a skill system in the style of Diablo 2's, you're probably not gonna do the math to determine what's viable, and more importantly there probably won't be that many things actually *are* viable after you have done the math. Thus the detailed customization that is in theory possible basically comes down to picking an eventual build (one of a few per class) and then picking which piece of it to augment at each level based on your current needs.

Here's one example: I was playing a necro. I had been spreading my points around a bit, mostly in skels and corpse explosion, and by the time I got to about act 2 normal my skeletons were dying too fast; it was getting frustrating having to resurrect them all the time, and they weren't doing much damage. I was much worse off than my partner (I was playing in a static duo) as well. I fairly quickly respec'd to a build that simply didn't have skeletons, and played a golem/corpse explosion/bone spear build for the rest of normal mode. It was OK, but not great. Then I found out how ridiculously Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery scale (online), respec'd to a conventional summonmancer build when I got to nightmare, and...well, anyone that's played much D2 probably knows the rest. (I've never finished nightmare, though, so my opinion may have some issues.)

By the way, on this nostalgia-y note, has anyone played Median XL?

Sqarak
08-04-2011, 12:48
I sounds roughly similar to what Guild Wars did no?

Or does

zato`1
08-04-2011, 13:22
summon necro was great for pve. i remember having a pretty nice system at the time d2 launched and my necro having enough minions to visibly stutter my FPS (and probably anyone else) between the revived minions and the bone magi+blood golem.

but bone/teeth/bone spirit and poison nova is where it was at for pvp. nothing like instantly dropping your opponent to 1 hp and then sicking laser guided bone spirits on his ass and watching him desperately try to outrun them for the duration of their chase..... and then sending more.

course the iron golem became the big dog once they allowed you to use items as the basis for your golem, and it traveled with you from game to game. i remember trying like hell to kill this guy who made a golem out of a duped grandfather. he'd instantly disconnect soon as he thought you were close to taking his golem down lol

88Chaz88
08-04-2011, 13:25
summon necro was great for pve. i remember having a pretty nice system at the time d2 launched and my necro having enough minions to visibly stutter my FPS (and probably anyone else) between the revived minions and the bone magi+blood golem.

Dude my last PC was decent enough to run most games now on recommended specs and it still stuttered my FPS fielding a full group of summons.

Makestro
08-04-2011, 13:52
Lol D3 is going to suck balls, D2 will remain the best of the series. game got so dumbed down.

88Chaz88
08-04-2011, 13:55
Lol D3 is going to suck balls, D2 will remain the best of the series. game got so dumbed down.

Diablo 1 was the best in the series, it was all downhill from there.

Makestro
08-04-2011, 13:59
Diablo 1 was the best in the series, it was all downhill from there.

the duping was so bad in D1(I know it was and is in D2 but not nearly as easy as picking a potion off your belt as you pick an item up) though. I did however grief the fuck out of people in D1, a hell of a lot more than D2, but D2 was more popular and the game I got really into hardcore PKing so it will hold a place in my heart forever.

but D1 was really fun, although I don't miss walking everywhere lol

Krag
08-04-2011, 14:04
d1 was fun when I was 13, the game style is pretty simplistic tho so I'm surprised its so hyped up by everyone when Blizz is even dumbing it down. That said, given all the adults who read Harry Potter, I'm not too shocked.

88Chaz88
08-04-2011, 14:05
the duping was so bad in D1(I know it was and is in D2 but not nearly as easy as picking a potion off your belt as you pick an item up) though. I did however grief the fuck out of people in D1, a hell of a lot more than D2, but D2 was more popular and the game I got really into hardcore PKing so it will hold a place in my heart forever.

but D1 was really fun, although I don't miss walking everywhere lol

To be honest, D2 probably was a better game, and I'd go so far as to say that D3 will probably be better than D2, but we're all slaves to nostalgia and I remember D1 with a lot more fondness than it's sequel. The first time I fought Diablo was terrifying and rewarding at the same time.

Though Diablo 2 feels like Hello Kitty Online compared to the first.

Napalm_Enema
08-04-2011, 14:05
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1185753p1.html

what do you guys think?, i much rather have skill points.

I think you need to read, comprehend, then post an opinion. The old system was fucking irritating and too limiting. This sounds like a welcome change that will allow for more diversity, and you can change your build later on which you couldn't do in D2 without completely re-rolling.

I like it, this game is looking great.