PDA

View Full Version : Problems with life.

jakeoc
07-28-2011, 17:24
before i begin i'd just like to say i realise this isent the best place to make this thread but i though i would for some advice.

lately i've finished school and hopefully will be heading to college in september.
but ever since school ended i have become more depressed than usuall. i find myself being bored almost 24/7 i feel anxious which causes trouble eating and sleeping.

I also have become somewhat of A recluse i dont go outside, i just feel like staying home all the time. thinking about leaving my house i get panic-ed and worried about somthing happening to me. (my area has been getting worse latly due to the population of a 'ghetto' getting moved out here)

I have also started drinking alot more and smoking alot more weed than usual.
When ever im around people i feel shy and get very quiet more so than usual. (girls especially)

And since i don't have school i literally have been thinking 'whats the point of living?' although im not suicidal. i also dont have a job(im really bad at maths so i feel i cant even work behind a counter in a shop) and feel worthless like i am a drain on my parents money, and im starting to fear i wont get enough points for the college courses i want. In general i am just feeling like a looser.

so what i want to know is have you ever felt somthing similar to this? did you get out of it? if so how? i'd really appreciate any advice.

MattMystrieo
07-28-2011, 17:27
I think you should probably run away from home.

Go start a new life in Peru.

Civilization
07-28-2011, 17:27
teenage angst. pretty normal.

nizzie
07-28-2011, 17:31

Stop it then.

sc0r0wnz
07-28-2011, 17:31
Go do something with your friends, I go 2 to 3 times a week to the gym with. Helps with your problems alot and gives you something to do ;)

Second stopping using weed might give you a boost to work and also gives you some confidence, if you don't feel like getting a job and you still have to do your college, then you might think about doing a learn/work project with school, to keep you motivated at the least.

Btw, weren't you the same guy asking for more information about stocks? Did you read George Soros, or did you look trought them already?

Ziegler
07-28-2011, 17:39
Welcome to real life...sucks dont it.

Get out, get a job, doesnt matter what it is. Most people behind a counter now days cant do simple math, so you're not alone.

Main thing is though...get active...and quit smoking pot you dumb bastard. Get a life first then waste it smoking pot.

Honorius
07-28-2011, 17:58
You really just need to spend all your time with friends or find a girlfriend, keep smoking pot and drinking, these are neccessary escapes and the world is shit without them.

Just keep your mind preoccupied with whatever makes you happy or at least distracts you from the shit of the world, then you just wait around fucked up and eventually something will happen.

That's as far as I've gotten.

jakeoc
07-28-2011, 18:02
Btw, weren't you the same guy asking for more information about stocks? Did you read George Soros, or did you look trought them already?

yes i was but i havent done more than read about him on wikipedia yet.

Deltus
07-28-2011, 18:06
Weed does No damage to your body what so ever unless your brain is still growing which i presume it is because you're not even at college. So like others have said, stop it.

Nunz
07-28-2011, 18:10
It's just your age. Most people feel the same way at that age. 20s end up kinda sucking, too, but are better. 30s, from what I hear, end up being when you have the most fun in life and are the most comfortable.

Just get through it. As others have said, go out and do stuff. Start picking up interests.

You really just need to spend all your time with friends or find a girlfriend, keep smoking pot and drinking, these are neccessary escapes and the world is shit without them.

Just keep your mind preoccupied with whatever makes you happy or at least distracts you from the shit of the world, then you just wait around fucked up and eventually something will happen.

About it.

nizzie
07-28-2011, 18:30
Exercise (I chose cycling because I'm a lazy fuck and this is by far the most enjoyable one for me), join a book club, learn an instrument or get some others hobbies. Doesn't matter what, just do something. Doing nothing will ruin you. Old people with no purpose in life (as in 'job', or general task) die sooner or start to be apathetic. It's not so much different from what you experience, you need goals and stuff to do in life (playing videogames, OT and smoking weed don't count).

If you have some sort of anxiety over meeting people and being outside better get help now, because that sounds really weird.

Death's Chill
07-28-2011, 18:42
I did feel something like that before.

Then I took a thousand mile bicycle trip, got mugged, lived homeless 1,600 miles away from home and worked in a kennel for another 11 months before returning.

Might want to give that a try, it worked for me.

I'm sorry, but it's fucking sad people consider smoking and drinking as necessary escapes. What the hell is so bad with the world that you have to escape from anyways, god damn. The world rocks. People who drink and smoke to hide from something are just cowards. They are real emos.

I can't believe people like you are considered normal and adjusted while I am considered secretly unhappy.

Lmfao. People have life so backwards it makes me sad inside.

Honorius
07-28-2011, 19:03
I do drink and smoke to escape, I find it much more enjoyable than trying to escape by trolling the Internet all the time.

Everyone is running from something some people just cope differently, if you look down on people for smoking and drinking then congrats on your perfect life.

And I am neither normal or adjusted, where the fuck did you get that from?

Death's Chill
07-28-2011, 19:07
I do drink and smoke to escape, I find it much more enjoyable than trying to escape by trolling the Internet all the time.

Everyone is running from something some people just cope differently, if you look down on people for smoking and drinking then congrats on your perfect life.

And I am neither normal or adjusted, where the fuck did you get that from?

People seem to infer that drinking and smoking are the norm. Honestly, you ARE normal for doing that.

I dunno man, I can't help but feel like you're drowning in your own sorrows. The reason life sucks is because people make decisions that lead to that and then they have to drown out their problems which just compounds the issue and makes it worse.

I want people to be happy.

griM'
07-28-2011, 19:08
Tell someone in RL how you feel, if you're thinking whats the point to life then you need some help. It's alright to get help cause you can't handle it on your own lol. Obviously you can't otherwise you wouldn't be posting on forums. Try and stay on a nice sleeping schedule, get yourself a job or something and try to leave where you are and go to college.

Torin100
07-28-2011, 19:08
before i begin i'd just like to say i realise this isent the best place to make this thread but i though i would for some advice.

lately i've finished school and hopefully will be heading to college in september.
but ever since school ended i have become more depressed than usuall. i find myself being bored almost 24/7 i feel anxious which causes trouble eating and sleeping.

I also have become somewhat of A recluse i dont go outside, i just feel like staying home all the time. thinking about leaving my house i get panic-ed and worried about somthing happening to me. (my area has been getting worse latly due to the population of a 'ghetto' getting moved out here)

When ever im around people i feel shy and get very quiet more so than usual. (girls especially)

And since i don't have school i literally have been thinking 'whats the point of living?' although im not suicidal. i also dont have a job(im really bad at maths so i feel i cant even work behind a counter in a shop) and feel worthless like i am a drain on my parents money, and im starting to fear i wont get enough points for the college courses i want. In general i am just feeling like a looser.

so what i want to know is have you ever felt somthing similar to this? did you get out of it? if so how? i'd really appreciate any advice.

Get some counceling, i bet there is some nice people arround where you live that you can ask for help but you have to take the step. Nothing to be ashamed of and it might do more to help you then you expect.

Noone besides yourself and the therapist will know of your meetings so no worries.

Neilk
07-28-2011, 19:16
I guess you just finished your Leaving Cert so even if you don't get enough points in that there are a lot of other options out there such as PLC courses etc. You should be able to find a place in one of them if you don't get an offer for college as a lot of people will have applied as a backup plan.

Also find a hobby that you can enjoy and can get you out of the house. I found skateboarding to be one of the friendliest sports to be involved in if there is a park near your house and you are interested in it. The people are always friendly and its a good way to meet new friends and have fun. It's also very physically demanding so you will get a lot of exercise.

Try get involved with your friends when they are going out at the weekends or going to gigs. It's the best way to stay in touch with people, meet new people and to enjoy yourself (here in Ireland anyway).

upgraydd
07-28-2011, 19:16
sounds like generalized anxiety disorder. Look it up. Don't go to a doc get on meds for it though as they typically treat the symptoms not the problem and you'll end up an emotionless zombie.

Put the weed away entirely for a while. Drink in moderation if you must but stop with the weed. If you do have an anxiety disorder weed will amplify the shit out of it. Period. Find another escape that's healthy.

Exercise and eat better. Not doing this is scientifically proven to cause depression and anxiety. Google it. Weed is good, but it's not for everybody.

Lastly, if you have social anxiety and slight agoraphobia (unreasonable fear of being outside) you have to force yourself into these situations. Baby steps. You'll eventually get over it.

Honorius
07-28-2011, 19:21
People seem to infer that drinking and smoking are the norm. Honestly, you ARE normal for doing that.

I dunno man, I can't help but feel like you're drowning in your own sorrows. The reason life sucks is because people make decisions that lead to that and then they have to drown out their problems which just compounds the issue and makes it worse.

I want people to be happy.

I was drowning in my own sorrows before I started smoking, my mind was constantly racing thinking about all the mistakes I've made and the problems I've caused myself. Then I started smoking and I was able to take my mind off all that, and I'm happier now than I ever was and honestly I have no real problems anymore other than my anxiety which can be cleared right up with some other drugs.

People are never happy, they are either lying to you or to themselves if they claim to be.

Makestro
07-28-2011, 19:29
People are never happy, they are either lying to you or to themselves if they claim to be.

You might as well put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger with a mindset like that.

Death's Chill
07-28-2011, 19:31
I was drowning in my own sorrows before I started smoking, my mind was constantly racing thinking about all the mistakes I've made and the problems I've caused myself. Then I started smoking and I was able to take my mind off all that, and I'm happier now than I ever was and honestly I have no real problems anymore other than my anxiety which can be cleared right up with some other drugs.

You made your own life hell, but you can get your life back on track; drugs do not make this easier. They take away the pain temporarily while making the root issue worse.

Taking painkillers to dull the pain of life is not a good idea.

Kusghuul
07-28-2011, 19:35
Grow a pair.

And learn basic grammar.

For some perspective, I just checked the list of the dead in Norway. I still haven't seen a name I recognise, but there's still 50 names to be released. I knew people in the bomb blast, who luckily escaped unscathed, but statistically, I should know someone who died, as I used to be politically active.

To quote Surly; boo fuckity hoo.

ORK
07-28-2011, 19:37
sit your parents down and tell them how you feel. They will help you. And as others suggested stop smoking weed.

MrBungle
07-28-2011, 19:41

Face what you fear most, and if it's those ghetto kids around the corner, then so be it.

Tis the only way, sorry.
Life's both a bitch and also very beautiful to look at.

It's never any use running away from it, you've gathered that much at least.

All it could take for you now would be to sit on a bench outside and learn to enjoy the moment passing (to unthink everything).

Facing life by drawing it with pen and paper helps too (describe real things, people or events by text or diagrams).

Honorius
07-28-2011, 19:42
You made your own life hell, but you can get your life back on track; drugs do not make this easier. They take away the pain temporarily while making the root issue worse.

Taking painkillers to dull the pain of life is not a good idea.

I'm curious, are your root issues gone in your sober enlightenment?

Death's Chill
07-28-2011, 19:51
I'm curious, are your root issues gone in your sober enlightenment?

I have no root issues.

The only thing in my life that sucks is that I am balding, but eh; what can I do? :P

Well, that and being lonely, but I'm working on that. I can tell you, solving whatever issues you have is a hell of a lot easier when you aren't drunk, stoned or high and are healthy.

Seriousbisnis
07-28-2011, 20:01
I'm an active pot smoker, but using it to "escape" really is not what you want to do. If you see a problem, tackle that shit head on. I smoke weed whenever I'm hanging out with some of my friends or I'm at home and I just want to chill for a little while. I don't use it to hide from my problems, and neither should anybody.

Honorius
07-28-2011, 20:08
I have no root issues either I reckon, I'm lonely, but I also made out with 4 girls at a party Tuesday so I guess it evens out.

Drugs like acid and ecstasy helped me figure out all the other problems I had, and I was able to get over them.

I guess I just do drugs now because I'm a spoiled brat and it's slightly easier to talk to girls at partys and cause they're fun and lifes too short.

I forget my point...

Death's Chill
07-28-2011, 20:14
Heh, I guess I'm lucky. I have enough wisdom to avoid shit that will kill me sooner. It's like sugar and fats. Never eat them, and you don't want them at all. Then you can enjoy life in the fact that you have far more time on this planet than most do.

Life isn't really short unless you make it short man.

ApocaRUFF
07-28-2011, 20:23
Weed does No damage to your body what so ever unless your brain is still growing which i presume it is because you're not even at college. So like others have said, stop it.

Weed does do damage to your body. You're inhaling smoke and purposely holding it in your lungs for a prolonged period. You'd have to be retarded to try and deny it :0

I haven't looked into it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that if you smoked the same amount of weed and tobacco, weed does more damage to you, just because the fact that you hold the smoke in longer.

Inhaling any kind of smoke would hurt you.

Seriousbisnis
07-28-2011, 20:24

This is true, but

I haven't looked into it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that if you smoked the same amount of weed and tobacco, weed does more damage to you, just because the fact that you hold the smoke in longer.

I highly doubt this.

Death's Chill
07-28-2011, 20:26
Weed is harmless. Smoking it is not. At the very least just bake into brownies or something.

zansafer
07-28-2011, 20:31
I've been through a few times of depression and bad times myself. It comes in waves, but thing you can do is realize it wont be forever. Staying busy is the best remedy, and care about your body while your mind if working on its issues.

Smokin' weed on top of the way your feelin doesnt help. Smokin weed when you feel good and dont give a crap about "problems" is the way to smoke weed. It will intensify what your feelin at the time...so if your down...youll just put yourself into hours of dwelling about your problems. Oh and get a vaporizer, you wont have to worry about the bad stuff in the smoke. A friend told me, I wouldnt know...seriously

ZeroCool
07-28-2011, 20:33
if you feel anxious and panicy when you go out, stop smoking weed. That will make things about x3049208 worse as it did for me. Havent touched the shit in awhile now.

Drinking will also make it worse, so stop that.

Best advice i can give, wait it out. Shit like that has happened to me but its usually just a stage you go through, especially in highschool. Things will get better.

But if they dont,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoloft

philipc4
07-28-2011, 20:35
I'm 22, just graduated from college, and got rejected on my first attempt to get into medical school. I can certainly empathize with the OP; I've got no job, and my biology degree isn't helping me find one in the meantime before re-applying. Pretty frustrated and bored.

I think there has been some good advice in this thread. Really I'm just consolidating it.

1. Get any sort of job. That's my plan. You can make some money and feel fulfilled after a hard days work. I definitely think this is a great idea.

2. Exercise. Another good one. Goal oriented stuff tends to keep me focused and encouraged; also great to keep in shape, of course.

3. Learn something new. Make it a goal to learn to speak spanish, maybe learn about stocks (an interest you mentioned, stockcharts.com - chartschool could be of interest), etc.

4. Seek truth about a higher purpose. I'm personally a Christian, but if you are seeking a "meaning to life", look around, ask questions.

Hope all goes well with you OP!

sc0r0wnz
07-28-2011, 20:50
3. Learn something new. Make it a goal to learn to speak spanish, maybe learn about stocks (an interest you mentioned, stockcharts.com - chartschool could be of interest), etc.

Typical american site, pretty shit way to make money. Better just get a job then waste time even looking at that site.

The site really gives me a feeling that others need to do that aswell to make it work which, in my eyes, mean it is more like a pyramid way to make money or to say better the guy who is teaching you this makes the most of it.

Just take a longer look at the side, it so obvious alot of people are using this and that is eksactly makes those loops go up and down.

Baralis
07-28-2011, 21:08

You need to change your outlook on life from one of "what I want/dont want to do with life" to "do what I should do".

It doesnt matter that you suck at something and you feel unworthy or even ridiculed for it. Do it anyway, you are worth alot more imo striving to do something with a half ass outcome then not doing it all.

GirlyMan
07-28-2011, 21:23
smoking marijuana is terrible on the adrenal glands.. can't speak for alcohol as I don't drink but it probably does as well.

anyways, most mild depression is actually adrenal based. You may have had a stress and drug induced overload of cortisol to your adrenals and they are simply burnt out, and now you are as well.

Most would recommend an adaptogen, but I'd say try a cup or two or some licorice root tea and see how it goes. (marijuana and licorice go great together)

Rimayven
07-28-2011, 23:55
the op isn't alone. I'm in the exact same spot except I don't smoke/drink unless someone offers me one and I'm okay at math.

I only feel bad when I'm in bed, though, and I have trouble sleeping as a consequence. I feel like a horrible worthless person (lol I laugh at my own angst) and I can't find a job anywhere (not even volunteering) since I have no skills and/or experience. I have no friends and I'm not a nice person. I've been like that for the last 3 years.

Ultimately I have nowhere to go to in life (for the moment, but I will definitely catch on once I discover something), but I don't blame myself too much for that. I simply press on since I'm built to be awesome.

Apex Vertigo
07-29-2011, 00:20
I'd be more sympathetic if you weren't an near illiterate American bashing troll. Please find the nearest bridge and think deeply about what purpose to life is there really.

Falokis
07-29-2011, 00:29
What was it the taxi driver said at the beginning of the movie "Old School"?

GirlyMan
07-29-2011, 00:38
the op isn't alone. I'm in the exact same spot except I don't smoke/drink unless someone offers me one and I'm okay at math.

I only feel bad when I'm in bed, though, and I have trouble sleeping as a consequence. I feel like a horrible worthless person (lol I laugh at my own angst) and I can't find a job anywhere (not even volunteering) since I have no skills and/or experience. I have no friends and I'm not a nice person. I've been like that for the last 3 years.

Ultimately I have nowhere to go to in life (for the moment, but I will definitely catch on once I discover something), but I don't blame myself too much for that. I simply press on since I'm built to be awesome.

Sounds like you think too much, imo. You should tell your brain to shut up when it's insulting you.

Also, high cortisol levels at night is one symptom of depression. Cortisol will keep you awake at night. Generally a depressed person will operate on an opposite timeline as others. You wake up tired and may not want to get out of bed or just can't get out of bed, stay a bit groggy throughout the day and may need some naps, then at night it's like you come to life and sleeping problems are born.

And just as an addition to my previous post, SSRIs do work to restore the cortisol secretion to balance. Serotonin itself is not involved with a depressed state of mind, but it certainly plays a role in mood. Serotonin has many actions in controlling various hormonal secretions, and that is how SSRIs work, essentially. It's not simply a matter of keeping the 'happy hormone' serotonin in your brain, but what responses the artificially high levels will trigger in other areas.

Anyways if you have problems you should talk to someone about them. You can see a therapist in person and talk about how you feel without the fear of being judged by your peers.

And.. no one can tell you if you will get over it. Somethings you can't just sleep off.

Best way to stay happy is to stay healthy, best way to stay healthy is to stay herbal.

Kusghuul
07-29-2011, 00:50
Best way to stay happy is to stay healthy, best way to stay healthy is to stay herbal.

Wtf...

He's not depressed, he's got teenage angst and lives his mum's basement.

GirlyMan
07-29-2011, 00:57
Wtf...

Perhaps. That's why I recommend seeing someone to talk to if he does have problems.

Nothing wrong with being healthy.

I would be depressed if I lived in a basement though.

Rimayven
07-29-2011, 00:59
Wtf...

That's true. :ninja:

Kusghuul
07-29-2011, 01:02
Perhaps. That's why I recommend seeing someone to talk to if he does have problems.

Nothing wrong with being healthy.

I would be depressed if I lived in a basement though.

Teenagers don't need someone to talk to, they need to fucking man up.

Death's Chill
07-29-2011, 01:13
Teenagers don't need someone to talk to, they need to fucking man up.

Indeed, they need to bathe in pure alcohol and then fight 5 lions naked; only after surviving in the wilderness alone for a year while eating raw meat and grubs.

And they can only be called a man if they can snap a titanium rod in half.

nate4449
07-29-2011, 01:19

Stop acting like a loser. Stop wasting your allowance/college-fund/parent's money on psychoactive consumables. Get a job, it doesn't have to include math(As if operating a cash register was hard).

Do you know what degree you want from college? You'll probably make a few worthwhile acquaintances in your first semester or two, which will become your new friends and thus relieve your boredom to a degree. But uh, you really will need a job if you don't want to both feel like and actually be a loser throughout your college years.

Rimayven
07-29-2011, 01:36
Stop acting like a loser. Stop wasting your allowance/college-fund/parent's money on psychoactive consumables. Get a job, it doesn't have to include math(As if operating a cash register was hard).

Do you know what degree you want from college? You'll probably make a few worthwhile acquaintances in your first semester or two, which will become your new friends and thus relieve your boredom to a degree. But uh, you really will need a job if you don't want to both feel like and actually be a loser throughout your college years.

Getting a job is impossible.

nate4449
07-29-2011, 02:20
Getting a job is impossible.

My fail-at-life step brother and his girlfriend, both pretty much just out of high school and with zero experience, each just got separate retail/service jobs three weeks ago after two weeks of looking.

You don't find a job by lamenting that they don't exist, try again.

Rimayven
07-29-2011, 02:26
My fail-at-life step brother and his girlfriend, both pretty much just out of high school and with zero experience, each just got separate retail/service jobs three weeks ago after two weeks of looking.

You don't find a job by lamenting that they don't exist, try again.

Yeah, it might be possible to get one of those sales jobs without needing any prior work experience.

I just don't have any useful skills or talents or ability and lack competence.

zato`1
07-29-2011, 02:26
depends where you are. unemployment for people 21-35 in NJ is like 32%. thats absolutely ridiculous. the inner cities are like fucking warzones here.

nate4449
07-29-2011, 02:28

----> Join date: 2008.

...Could your tenure here on forumfall possibly have anything to do with this?

Rimayven
07-29-2011, 02:31
----> Join date: 2008.

...Could your tenure here on forumfall possibly have anything to do with this?

I don't think so.

I've been like that my whole life.

nate4449
07-29-2011, 02:36
Yeah, it might be possible to get one of those sales jobs without needing any prior work experience.

I just don't have any useful skills or talents or ability and lack competence.

Specifically, they got jobs at starbucks and safeway. Or albertsons, same difference.

Of course, it totally does depend on where you live and whatnot, but retail/food service jobs simply don't require a plump resume unless you're applying to something unnecessarily fancy. Though, personally, it always takes me at least six months to find a job, simply because I'm totally full of fail at interviews and because I am petrified by the mere thought of going outside.

You just have to try for an extended period of time, and put some real effort into it. Special resume paper outlining bullshit qualities about yourself, dressing up and introducing yourself to managers at random stores... it works better than sitting at home, supposedly. Finding a job is a job itself, they say.

-Gateway-
07-29-2011, 14:30
To the OP : search for professional help. Yes, a shrink.

Trust me, since I'm a 10 years depression vet who tried every known drug in the market (to name a few: various SSRIs, Cymbalta, Zyprexa, Xanax, Wellbutrin) other than EVERY possible method to "get out of the blue" : meditation, music, physical exercise, just name it and I tried it.

You need someone that can make order in the mess that is your brain at the moment.

And yes, life for somebody is inevitably going to suck no matter what. You have just to learn to don't bother excessively, and to kick yourself in your balls just the minimal amount that is necessary.

Grow a pair.

This is exactly what supposed tough guys are going to say without knowning shit about what depression is.

Maybe do your homeworks before spitting prepackaged sentences.

smoking marijuana is terrible on the adrenal glands.. can't speak for alcohol as I don't drink but it probably does as well.

anyways, most mild depression is actually adrenal based. You may have had a stress and drug induced overload of cortisol to your adrenals and they are simply burnt out, and now you are as well.

Uh? References?

Just for your information, the adrenal fatigue theory is pretty flawed.

And in any case, if you go to Pubmed and put "depression theory" as keywords in the search engine, you'll end up with like five different hypothesis just in the first page.

The brain is not made of soup. (http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/06/brain-is-not-made-of-soup.html)

Spineless_DoO
07-29-2011, 14:47

Getting high creates artificial states of emotion. Smoking anything is very bad for you. So yes it does hurt you. Not being sober is in every way negative to the human body. Im not saying everyone should be straight edge just that the first things to go when things are not optimal are drug intake like drinking and smoking of all forms.

Nunz
07-29-2011, 15:09
You shouldn't do drugs to mask emotions, that's for sure.

Kusghuul
07-29-2011, 15:55
This is exactly what supposed tough guys are going to say without knowning shit about what depression is.

Maybe do your homeworks before spitting prepackaged sentences.

Did you even look at the rest of my post? I'm not a supposed tough guy - I'm saying he really shouldn't be whining like a baby. There's a massive difference between teenage angst and depression.

Indeed, they need to bathe in pure alcohol and then fight 5 lions naked; only after surviving in the wilderness alone for a year while eating raw meat and grubs.

And they can only be called a man if they can snap a titanium rod in half.

Exactly! He needs to stop smoking pot and drinking excessively and work.

MrBungle
07-29-2011, 16:32
Specifically, they got jobs at starbucks and safeway. Or albertsons, same difference.

Of course, it totally does depend on where you live and whatnot, but retail/food service jobs simply don't require a plump resume unless you're applying to something unnecessarily fancy. Though, personally, it always takes me at least six months to find a job, simply because I'm totally full of fail at interviews and because I am petrified by the mere thought of going outside.

You just have to try for an extended period of time, and put some real effort into it. Special resume paper outlining bullshit qualities about yourself, dressing up and introducing yourself to managers at random stores... it works better than sitting at home, supposedly. Finding a job is a job itself, they say.

Job vs Career?

Big difference.

Slaker
07-29-2011, 17:58
You need a goal, find something you like and try to master it. You should spend a lot of time with your friends it will help you see the world from a different point of view.

Its normal to feel down at some point in your life, especially when you don't know where the fuck you are going with your life.

Rimayven
07-29-2011, 18:56
How do I find a meaningful goal/goals then? I like almost everything I experience except explosive midnight diarrhea et al.

What should I focus my commitment on besides my own narcissistic self?

zansafer
07-29-2011, 19:06
All you guys should band together and make a game.

All FREE

Game Engine:Start Learning Unity (http://unity3d.com/)
3D Modeling: Learn Blender (http://www.blender.org/)
Art/Skins: Learn GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)
Sound: Get Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

You can find free tutorials on youtube for all this stuff.

I mess with this stuff from time to time, it really makes the time tick by and I think of nothing else because its so damn interesting and fun.

Rimayven
07-29-2011, 19:15
All you guys should band together and make a game.

All FREE

Game Engine:Start Learning Unity (http://unity3d.com/)
3D Modeling: Learn Blender (http://www.blender.org/)
Art/Skins: Learn GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/)
Sound: Get Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

You can find free tutorials on youtube for all this stuff.

I mess with this stuff from time to time, it really makes the time tick by and I think of nothing else because its so damn interesting and fun.

Forumfall could perhaps build an adventure game, or a roguelike. But I don't even have enough experience in C or in modeling/ drawing/ sound making to do anything. Maybe that guy who keeps making all these Tasos sigs can, though.

It would still take a lot of planning and organisation for us to build even a half decent game.

DAA KAPUTTMACHA
07-29-2011, 19:37
Read books, try some sort of art (if you are creative or think you might be), learn an instrument (starter guitar is cheap).

All stuff that takes a lot of time.

*PS:
Oh, and if you feel like a loser because you dont have a job: the least you could do is delivering newspapers or something. No math needed for this either.

Death's Chill
07-29-2011, 19:51
Rather if you don't have a passion, the next best thing is to do anything you can do earn money (legitimately of course).

If you have no measurable talent or passion, a lot of money will still make you feel fucking awesome; you can trust me on that part. Also, with that money, you're free to take your time, make mistakes, etc.. to perhaps find something you do like. Then you can work at it in an environment that isn't professional. (Professional just means suck up your pride and bow down to someone else).

Grisu
07-29-2011, 19:54
I feel you man, when i finished high school i went right into cegep (Quebec collage) then didnt like what i took (new media and publications design) so i just dropped out for a year drank and smoked just partied. then went back to take social science and did that for a bit and then just stopped going to classes, ever since my friend died i just couldn't go back to that school it bothered me and made me super depressed. so i just drank some more and smoked some more and partied on. im currently looking for a job and i feel like shit all the time i feel like i dont know my place in this crazy world.

jakeoc
07-29-2011, 22:50
There's a massive difference between teenage angst and depression.

Its not teenage angst. teenage angst is rebelling agaisnt authority and thinking FML.

since you seem to be so smart please classify this for me.

Walking across a bridge and wondering if the height would kill you or put you in a wheel chair.

Seeing parts of a toaster go red hot and thinking about sticking a fork in it to zap your self.

comming home everyday of Primary school(elementry school) from 4th class onwards thinking 'whats the point'

would you say this is teen angst? what about being able to feel your heart beat in your chest when you walk past people on the street cuz ur fuckin terrifyed that they'll kick your ass? or feeling like your dog is worth more to your household because at least it gaurds the house at night.

As for everyone else thanks alot, people are giving out some good advice and making me feel better about things i've been trying to face my fears like some people said to do saying hello to randomers trying to start conversations with shop assistants and stuff like that.

also im applying for a job in a kids shoe shop and have a pretty good chance of getting the job =) i've also been trying lots more places for any kind of job cleaning glasses in a pub, dry cleaners anything. thanks again!

ZeroCool
07-29-2011, 23:33
Its not teenage angst. teenage angst is rebelling agaisnt authority and thinking FML.

since you seem to be so smart please classify this for me.

Walking across a bridge and wondering if the height would kill you or put you in a wheel chair.

Seeing parts of a toaster go red hot and thinking about sticking a fork in it to zap your self.

See a psyche now.

Nunz
07-29-2011, 23:34
Go fucking see someone before you kill your self. Walking around depressed is a waste of time and pointless.

MrBungle
07-29-2011, 23:58
See a psyche now.

Was that a deliberate zap of all the constructive parts of his reply?

Wow, offically caught in the act of acting like complete moron, gg cretin.

And to all the other cretins sending him off to an armchair in a darkroom, you probably should care to having the balls of looking at yourselves the way he did, before speaking publically. You've been an embrassment to human intelligence so far.

ZeroCool
07-30-2011, 00:55

And to all the other cretins sending him off to an armchair in a darkroom, you probably should care to having the balls of looking at yourselves the way he did, before speaking publically. You've been an embrassment to human intelligence so far.

Cool. So when someone is considering taking their own life they should just help themselves and not seek treatment from others. Good idea.

When it comes to suicide there is no fucking around, the smartest, most intelligent thing to do is seek help. The irony is, your the embarrassment to human intelligence.

Nunz
07-30-2011, 01:00

You have no idea about who I am or the life I've lived.

Simple as that

Apex Vertigo
07-30-2011, 04:15

What's wrong with getting help when you feel depressed and have constant thoughts about suicide? They didn't see seek copious amounts of alcohol and drugs, they said seek a professional who can help you emotionally deal with what ever is bothering you.

And even if you didn't agree, this reply was much too harsh for what it suggested.

EDIT: I don't think the suicide thing is a big deal btw. I constantly have morbid thoughts about jumping off cliffs at the place I work (I work high up near unprotected ledges) or shooting myself when I take out my gun. Don't read too much into that I'm not suicidal, but I think it's normal to have just weird thoughts about "What if I just did this out of some crazy act of craziness?", it creeps me out sometimes too but then I just go do something else.

griM'
07-30-2011, 05:40

I honestly think this has to be a troll.

The only way to deal with feeling suicidal is to seek help immediately.
You're a joke.

Pallist
07-30-2011, 06:23
Exercise. Daily.

Turn off the computer and TV at night with a set bed time. Brush and floss before bed.

Wake up and be ready at the same time every morning.

Keep good hygiene and a regular shower schedule.

Avoid the people you get alcohol and weed from. Make new friends if you have to. Tell your old friends you are stopping with drinking and smoking because you're feeling it impact your life. Trust me, no one will give you a hard time about it.

Those are the very common steps to avoid and break out of depression.

Deltus
07-30-2011, 13:19
Weed does do damage to your body. You're inhaling smoke and purposely holding it in your lungs for a prolonged period. You'd have to be retarded to try and deny it :0

Cannabis is used to treat cancer and the THC in cannabis is also a natural produce of our bodies, So how can this be bad?

We need to legalise this shit!

MrBungle
07-30-2011, 13:56
I wus high, you cretins.

Jumped off a bridge.

-Gateway-
07-30-2011, 14:34
Did you even look at the rest of my post? I'm not a supposed tough guy - I'm saying he really shouldn't be whining like a baby. There's a massive difference between teenage angst and depression.

Yeah sorry, that was my bad. I just go "eyeblooded mode" when I heard that phrase.

However, my depression started when I was 18 years old, so I would be extremely careful in any case. Maybe it's just a teenage thing, but a professional help would not harm either.

Exercise. Daily.

Turn off the computer and TV at night with a set bed time. Brush and floss before bed.

Avoid the people you get alcohol and weed from. Make new friends if you have to. Tell your old friends you are stopping with drinking and smoking because you're feeling it impact your life. Trust me, no one will give you a hard time about it.

Very good advices actually. Especially the hygiene thing is very (and wrongly) overlooked.

Nunz
07-30-2011, 14:37
Most mental illness start during young adult hood. Whether it's depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, bdd, ocd....

It's not normal to consider killing your self, because you're depressed, at any age.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 14:37
Exercise. Daily.

Ugh, routine, talk about the exact opposite of good advice. Routine is fucking boring and will only reinforce depression..

If you're clinically depressed (as in chemicals in your brain are imbalanced) then seek help.

If you're just an emo without any physical issue causing "depression", man the fuck up, earn money and be happy. It's not complicated.

Nunz
07-30-2011, 14:38
Ugh, routine, talk about the exact opposite of good advice. Routine is fucking boring and will only reinforce depression..

Death you shouldn't even be in this conversation if you're going to be that immature about it.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 14:42
I'm not immature, I'm giving my honest opinion that obviously can't be applied to everyone because we're all different. I, personally, feel that a strict routine fucking sucks. You had that all throughout your youth, you're an adult now. You can do whatever the hell you want, so why go back to the most boring possible base?

Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired. Simple.

I will say, exercise is EXTREMELY beneficial. Just get a bike, or go for a run every day. It doesn't even have to be for long. Also, try to meet some girls. You may just be lonely.

Think of life as a video game, if you play it alone all the time, it's fun, but add in another player and holy shit the entire dynamic changes. Get a few, good, CLOSE friends, or // and a girlfriend. If that doesn't cure your depression, you really do have a chemical imbalance and need actual medication to treat it.

Nunz
07-30-2011, 14:43
Someone talks about suicidal feelings you don't tell them to start living a chaotic life style. It's immature.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 14:44
Chaos is fun. Order is boring. Even the laws of physics agree with me. The universe is on my side, you cannot win.

Boring -.-
07-30-2011, 15:12
I say fuck those who say stop smoking weed. It doesnt hurt you in any way, well hasnt with me, so keep on doing that. Maybe start dealing weed is a good move as you make good money.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 15:39
I say fuck those who say stop smoking weed. It doesnt hurt you in any way, well hasnt with me, so keep on doing that. Maybe start dealing weed is a good move as you make good money.

Smoking DOES harm you, no matter what you're smoking. You could smoke grass and it would be bad for you because you're inhaling smoke.

How long can you hold your breath for?

If you absolutely must get stoned, just bake in into food. Then there really is no downside.

As for dealing; unless you're smart, you could look at serious jail time, and the worst kind. Jail time for doing absolutely nothing wrong. That's hard to stomach.

BlueOreo
07-30-2011, 15:53
Exercise. Daily.

This is extremely good advice.

Chaos is fun. Order is boring. Even the laws of physics agree with me. The universe is on my side, you cannot win.

This is an immature viewpoint, and it's bad advice.

There are many natural ways to regulate the chemical balance in your brain. Eating regularly, exercising regularly, and sleeping on a regular schedule are all fine ways to do that.

I've had many friends who dealt with depression, and adopting a regular schedule for all the things that go in-and-out of your body, as well as your rest/exercise schedule has done wonders for them. I can attest to this myself.

This trite "Chaos is fine, Order is boring," is spoken from the mind of a child, especially when considered against the backdrop of this conversation. If people are legitimately depressed, and they've considered suicide, then this isn't some fun forum conversation where we try to spout off on some nebulous idea that we haven't even fully considered (see; chaos), but we think it's cute.

You're like the 7th grader who writes the Anarchy symbol on everything and thinks it's cool, although said 7th grader can't possibly imagine what real anarchy entails. Sad.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 15:55
Well, I take this as a compliment, and it's accurate. Kids have fun, they're stress free and actually enjoy life. Adults seldom do. Calling me "childish" is a good thing.

I don't have a firm schedule. I have to be certain places at certain times but I still just sleep when I'm tired, forcing myself on a schedule would quite simply suck. I'm free, why would I bind myself? It doesn't feel right.

I'm not talking about anarchy, I don't know where you're getting that from. I'm merely saying that total order in your life, too much structure, it's god damn horrible. Boggles my mind how people accept that as their lifestyle. I would go insane.

BlueOreo
07-30-2011, 15:59
Well, I take this as a compliment, and it's accurate. Kids have fun, they're stress free and actually enjoy life. Adults seldom do. Calling me "childish" is a good thing.

I don't have a firm schedule. I have to be certain places at certain times but I still just sleep when I'm tired, forcing myself on a schedule would quite simply suck. I'm free, why would I bind myself? It doesn't feel right.

I'm not talking about anarchy, I don't know where you're getting that from. I'm merely saying that total order in your life, too much structure, it's god damn horrible. Boggles my mind how people accept that as their lifestyle. I would go insane.

The mature approach is to realize that not everyone is like you, and that structure actually helps a lot of people stay healthy.

You're also just plain wrong, but I don't have the energy to waste on an ignorant little troll. Chaos vs. order, lololol, I feel like I'm in High School again.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 16:02
I already pointed out it's my opinion for my life and not applicable to everyone; but I do have to say it boggles my mind how people can accept a life like it. I guess, the same can be said for people that look on my life. Dunno. Structure. Ugh. Being free like a kid is so.. well, freeing.

Nunz
07-30-2011, 16:04
I already pointed out it's my opinion for my life and not applicable to everyone; but I do have to say it boggles my mind how people can accept a life like it. I guess, the same can be said for people that look on my life. Dunno. Structure. Ugh. Being free like a kid is so.. well, freeing.

Maybe you live an outwardly free life style to mask all the self-imposed limitations you put on your self emotionally.

BlueOreo
07-30-2011, 16:04

None of that is based on chaos though.

All of your childlike freedom is only made possible by tremendous, far reaching order. I'M NOT FALLING INTO THIS TRAP THOUGH. I will not waste my morning explaining this.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 16:07
None of that is based on chaos though.

All of your childlike freedom is only made possible by tremendous, far reaching order. I'M NOT FALLING INTO THIS TRAP THOUGH. I will not waste my morning explaining this.

I hope you realize the chaos vs order thing was mostly a joke.

I think a bit of chaos is awesome, but I'm actually pretty organized and I have plenty of "order" for my sub-life.

I just wouldn't structure my life to such an extreme degree as the guy posted, that's all. I think that's too far.

BlueOreo
07-30-2011, 16:11
I hope you realize the chaos vs order thing was mostly a joke.

I think a bit of chaos is awesome, but I'm actually pretty organized and I have plenty of "order" for my sub-life.

I just wouldn't structure my life to such an extreme degree as the guy posted, that's all. I think that's too far.

You're the worst kind of troll.

The johnny-come-lightly, late teen/early 20s know-it-all who actually knows fuck-all about anything and prescribes to some nebulous ideas about the world, which you haven't spent even a shred of energy to actually understand or consider.

You're like the result of taking everything pop culture and boiling it down to a pile of shit.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 16:24
You're the worst kind of troll.

The johnny-come-lightly, late teen/early 20s know-it-all who actually knows fuck-all about anything and prescribes to some nebulous ideas about the world, which you haven't spent even a shred of energy to actually understand or consider.

You're like the result of taking everything pop culture and boiling it down to a pile of shit.

Cool, bro.

I guess I'm just Gandalf the grey for now. :(

I will ascend to the white wizard eventually!

Pallist
07-30-2011, 16:33
I'm not about to get into the debates on what marijuana does to the body. Fact is that it puts chemicals into your body that medicate you. Keep that in mind and always remember this.

NEVER SELF MEDICATE A POSSIBLE MENTAL ILLNESS

With depression, your goal is to achieve a routine and active life. When nearing depression (as you original post indicates) being proactive is the best thing you can do. Think of depression as a deep pit. Right now you are on the edge of it, looking down there and seeing something bad is right around the corner. If you react now, you have a much easier time getting away from the pit. If you wait till you become severely depressed, think of yourself in this deep pit. It looks hopeless that you can get back to the surface and before you can even work on a 'normal' life again, you need to get out.

IF you are in that pit, seek professional help. Do not take the word of the first doctor you see. This is your mind they will tinker with and a wrong diagnosis can be very harmful. Get the opinion of a few doctors first. Find the one you feel most comfortable with. You may find some resistance when trying to switch doctors, but you have every right to.

Before you take any medications (which they WILL prescribe) read every possible side effect and read the withdrawals from each. Certain meds (anything in the benzo' family for example) may require support groups to come off of as the withdrawal effects cause physical illness and extreme mood swings. Seek non-medicated routes first in support groups if possible.

If you need to take medicines, remember this:

Psych meds DO NOT cure an illness. All they do is take the edge off so you can achieve a routine in life.

In response to Death's Chill: Structuring a routing is not meant to be permanent. It is to break out of depression. When his (or anyone's) life starts to pick up momentum, the routine will have to change. But until then, you need a foundation in life. Right now his life has no momentum, it is stagnant, and people become lethargic when in that state.

SiKness
07-30-2011, 16:41
Try growing up with a mother that does more drugs than you, and not seeing her for weeks at a time only to see her zombified when you do, and at the time being 5-7 years old.

Then try getting into beans to make it all better.

Then try growing a pair.

Pallist
07-30-2011, 16:41
To help you with exercise:

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/new-moves/jump-rope-cardio

Yes, you may feel silly at first, but once you get good at it (yes, you get good at jumping roping) you will feel comfortable even if some good looking girls walk by.

Death's Chill
07-30-2011, 17:14
I can understand the benefit of a routine temporarily, I suppose; I guess it would depend why the person is depressed in the first place, if it's a mental disorder or just dissatisfaction with life.

Kusghuul
07-30-2011, 18:22
To be quite honest, Death's Chill has got the right mind set. He doesn't want the same things as most people, but it's better being happy and having a possibility getting what you want than bitching about how awful the world is on an internet forum.