PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Reading

MulberryShock
07-23-2011, 07:37
I'm in the habit of quitting games and reading books since I gotten bored to everything but HoN.

Anyways, I enjoy books with amazingly interesting prose. Two of my favorite books were The English Patient and Fahrenheit 451. There was a deeply poetic feel to English Patient and I enjoyed that.

I am also a fan of science fiction in general, in particular dystopia and cyberpunk, but lately I've been trying my hand at western canon(most well-known books in english).

The latest book I enjoyed was The Stranger. It was pretty awful IMO, until I read the deeper meanings of some scenes, and until Merseaux's last monologue. Over-rated hipster shit nonetheless.

The Great Gatsby was the other book, amazing book IMO, among my favorites. Amazing theme to it, and I can see why its among the best books written.

I can't say I enjoy reading for the sake of pleasure like reading fantasy books or pulp romance, rather I enjoy philosophical topics, themes and literary narratives.

So, recommend books:

Nunz
07-23-2011, 07:42
House Of Leaves

You might enjoy Tours Of The Black Clock, though, actually.

MulberryShock
07-23-2011, 07:44
House Of Leaves

I was going to buy this book off of bookdepository, but it wasn't on sale and costed like 25 bucks.

Libraries are so shitty in my city too, so like five books serves 500k people.

I heard amazing things about it.

Also, anyone read Stanislaus Lem? A few of my friends love his books, and I just saw Solaris and thought amazing things about the movie.

philipc4
07-23-2011, 07:46
Some suggestions:

Dune
World War Z
Timeline

Any interest in those?

Nunz
07-23-2011, 07:51
25 bucks.

It's kinda worth it lol

I've paid 25$s for plenty of things I didn't enjoy as much as house of leaves lol

You should check out the Left Behind books. They're pretty good reads, if that interests you. I only got through the first couple but I enjoyed them.

Dankdafied
07-23-2011, 07:59
Odd Thomas, 4 book series by Dean Koontz, first book is a personal fav.

Saga of the Seven Suns, 7 book series by Kevin J. Anderson, good "space opera"

Pandora's Star, by Peter F. Hamilton, excellent sci fi series

Chindi, by Jack Mcdermott, good sci fi

Arkh
07-23-2011, 13:50
The revelation space cycle from Alastair Reynolds.
If you have not read it, Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos are a good classic.
Almost cyber-punk is Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan.

If you can read french La Horde du Contrevent is a must read.

Ad√Ľn_East
07-23-2011, 14:25
The latest book I enjoyed was The Stranger. It was pretty awful IMO, until I read the deeper meanings of some scenes, and until Merseaux's last monologue. Over-rated hipster shit nonetheless.

lol "Merseaux"

go away