PDA

View Full Version : how many hours a week?

grizzlednutz
07-12-2011, 18:25
How many hours a week should an mmo player commit to play?

I am interested in finding out what each of you think the average play per week of an mmo should be.

I am not going to make this a poll. I just want a brief explanation of what is acceptable and what is not.

Remember this isn't what you specifically play per week but what you think it should take you to have fun and progress on a weekly basis. (keep in mind people with wives/husbands/bf's/gf's, family that needs help, what a game company should market to, etc.)

Thank you for any responses, been wanting to get a response on this for a long time.

DAA KAPUTTMACHA
07-12-2011, 18:31
If the MMO does it right it should be possible to have fun playing the game even if you have only 2 hours a week.

SEOINAGE
07-12-2011, 20:57
If the MMO does it right it should be possible to have fun playing the game even if you have only 2 hours a week.

I agree with this. Normal people sometimes would be lucky to get 2 hours in.

Kenny g
07-12-2011, 23:02
disagree with 2 hours per week , system like that should work in a mmo like wow where there is no competition ,however in a game like darkfall you should be required to use 10-20 hours of your week min to have "fun" competing

edited out typo ;/

galahorn
07-13-2011, 04:01
Used to play 10h a week, mostly after work. Now I play 0h a week cause I lost interest until they bring the patch out. Not cause I don't like the game, far from that. Just cause I roamed the land for 2 hours in search for pvp and found none.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 04:05
I think 2 hours a week is a little bit slim personally. I mean I agree that you should be able to enjoy a game with any amount of time but 2 hours is pretty easy to make per week even with a casual schedule.

On the other hand 20 hours is like a part time job. I disagree that to play darkfall you should have to invest this amount of time. As df stands though, it definately takes this much to truly enjoy and progress in conquest. Hopefully they make it more managable in the next df expansion.

Anyone else who'd like to throw their 2 cents in is appreciated. How many hours per week do you play? and do you enjoy the game with that amount?

Dufer
07-13-2011, 07:14
I see games like another option for watching tv. Most people average 4hours of TV a day. So around there is what I'd say

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 07:27
i spend most of my day between workin out or kickin back and playing games..

but im getting a part time job so now i gatta balance all 3 + chock on keeping my girl happy

yet i will still pull 2h a day on a game so 2h a day times 7 days = 14h enless something comes up that would make it a bit less (fam emergency or some crap like that..... or a date.... always make time for those :D)

as for P2P standers if u get less then 10h a week on a norm week stop playing as ur just wasting money

riffordy
07-13-2011, 07:32
i was swimming a bazillion hours a week. now i stopped caring. game sucks

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 07:36
i was swimming a bazillion hours a week. now i stopped caring. game sucks

thats not a number and he was refering to mmos in gen

fail troll is fail

DAA KAPUTTMACHA
07-13-2011, 07:43
disagree with 2 hours per week , system like that should work in a mmo like wow where there is no competition ,however in a game like darkfall you should be required to use 10-20 hours of your week min to have "fun" competing

edited out typo ;/

My point is, that (in a perfect mmo) it shouldnt require any minimum time per week at all, to be able to "have fun". I never spoke of "being competitive". The OP didnt speak of DF either; it's about an mmo in general.

If there'd be very enjoyable PvE, a healthy populated community, an interesting crafting and economy system, then why shouldnt it be possible to have fun by only logging in 2 hours on a sunday afternoon?

Chefen
07-13-2011, 08:02
I'd guess inbetween 1 - 7 hours a day depending on game.. where darkfall is around 3 hours per day!
If you like wow then it's probably around 2 hours and Eve online is definitely around 6 hours a day..

Requiamer
07-13-2011, 08:17

edited out typo ;/

Are you out of your mind mind dude, do you know people are supposed to have 40 hours work time per week? Its a fucking game, be real.

You should definitely access all the best features in a 2 hour session for sure. Now how much of this 1 to 2 hours session you can afford per week is irrelevant imo.

SEOINAGE
07-13-2011, 13:32
Lawl at the guy that said 10-20 hours to have fun.

That is like devoting every minute nearly of 1-2 days out of a 7 day week to a video game, give me a break. people that think that you need more than a couple hours devoted to a game per week to have fun obviously have no life, no job, and likely can barely afford their subscription.

Corp-Por
07-13-2011, 15:36
I agree with this. Normal people sometimes would be lucky to get 2 hours in.

And that's why Planetside 2 is going to be MASS PVP heaven and pure fun for people who can't sit in front a Pc all day grinding just to get some flash in the pan pvp fun.

mr doom
07-13-2011, 15:44
1-2hours a day.

You have 8hours of spare time normaly assuming 8hours of work and sleep.
Devoting about 20% of that time to darkfall doesnt seem to much to me even if you have a bitchy wife and stupid chores to do:ninja:

Zushakon
07-13-2011, 16:10
1-2 hours per day sounds pretty sane to me, if you can't even put away that much time in a day I'd say MMO's just aren't for you.

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 19:55
And that's why Planetside 2 is going to be MASS PVP heaven and pure fun for people who can't sit in front a Pc all day grinding just to get some flash in the pan pvp fun.

that game will flop like its orig

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 19:56
1-2hours a day.

You have 8hours of spare time normaly assuming 8hours of work and sleep.
Devoting about 20% of that time to darkfall doesnt seem to much to me even if you have a bitchy wife and stupid chores to do:ninja:

haha u get 8 hours of sleep O.O i havnt had that much sleep in over a year and i still manage a good amount of time in DFO

Cedric
07-13-2011, 19:59
I disagree that to play darkfall you should have to invest this amount of time.

Last I checked this game wasn't meant to appeal to every possible type of player out there, it just happens that one of those that it doesn't appeal to is the casual gamer, doesn't mean you have to play it.

melipone
07-13-2011, 20:08
Just because someone has time to dedicate to the game, it doesn't mean they will be willing to spend it grinding skills on mobs. You should be able to play as much time or little as you want but still be able to play the game in the way you find most enjoyable. If you don't have much time then you probably won't want to grind skills or gold tho, but even if you have a lot of time its the last thing most people want to do in a full loot sandbox mmorpg

I would say its better to look at it as a ratio, like 1 parts work for 5 parts fun. Whereas the work is very upfront in DF until you level your character, then people feel the fun can start properly. Would be better to just have some gold farming for gear every so often and skills/stats to be at 90% efficiency earlier on (with the rest of the grind in the final 10%, taking as long as you want, as long as the gap isn't too wide its fine to have grind. Hard with no cap tho)

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 20:10
Just because someone has time to dedicate to the game, it doesn't mean they will be willing to spend it grinding skills on mobs. You should be able to play as much time or little as you want but still be able to play the game in the way you find most enjoyable. If you don't have much time then you probably won't want to grind skills or gold tho, but even if you have a lot of time its the last thing most people want to do in a full loot sandbox mmorpg

I would say its better to look at it as a ratio, like 1 parts work for 5 parts fun. Whereas the work is very upfront in DF until you level your character, then people feel the fun can start properly. Would be better to just have some gold farming for gear every so often and skills/stats to be at 90% efficiency earlier on

if they bring back skilling off players then it would be all fun :D

jamie1414
07-13-2011, 20:31
I think anything less than an hour per SESSION is considered unfun because half the things in the game require prepping and moving around which isnt exactly fun.

Chubbyjesus
07-13-2011, 21:22
Between 10 and 20 hours a week should be what is catered to. Thats most normal people's available time commitment.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 21:49
Last I checked this game wasn't meant to appeal to every possible type of player out there, it just happens that one of those that it doesn't appeal to is the casual gamer, doesn't mean you have to play it.

I agree with you. Last I checked df caters to about 1000 people in the entire world. I don't play btw, neither does anyone else.

You realize though that casual gamers are the only gamers that matter? DF is a perfect example of a game that doesn't cater to casuals and look at the state that it's in.

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 21:57
i know you want this to be brief so i will say only this..

the answer you seek is alot more complicated then just how many hrs of play.

there is so many variables to consider not to mention the type of mmo it is.

to have fun in a game there should be no amount of time to have fun.
to advanced and achieve things that could all depend on what it is your trying to achieve.

in a game like darkfall that was said to have no levels should have no amount to have fun. but to advance your char that would all depend on what your want to advance. i would say on average at least 4-6 hrs a day for most medium or moderate achievements.
something like kingdom building could take thousands of hrs to achieve.

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 22:01
I agree with you. Last I checked df caters to about 1000 people in the entire world. I don't play btw, neither does anyone else.

You realize though that casual gamers are the only gamers that matter? DF is a perfect example of a game that doesn't cater to casuals and look at the state that it's in.

how do you figure? casuals can do every thing a vet can do..
will they win every fight nope but who does?

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 22:07
that game will flop like its orig

i have to agree SOE is behind it. i wont touch another SOE game ever. Vanguard was the last soe game for me.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 22:17
how do you figure? casuals can do every thing a vet can do..
will they win every fight nope but who does?

You are not understanding what I mean. A casual player has nothing to do with how you are progressing skillwise and who you can beat in a fight etc. I made no mention of this anywhere yet you manage to keep grinding that axe of yours. Casual player pertains to a person who does not make their life of the game.

Darkfall is full of meaningless time sinks, horrible ui, the worst loot system since ultima, and a brutal full loot pvp system. Combine these things among others and this is where the ship sinks for truly casual players.

There basically is not nearly enough to do in the game for normal people to enjoy it.

-ZH-
07-13-2011, 22:23
Are you out of your mind mind dude, do you know people are supposed to have 40 hours work time per week? Its a fucking game, be real.

You should definitely access all the best features in a 2 hour session for sure. Now how much of this 1 to 2 hours session you can afford per week is irrelevant imo.

What this guy said.

Have mercy on the long term followers, we are all pushing on towards middle age AV took so long to get this far.

Don't listen to Kenny G, whose biggest commitment is his daily wank and going downstairs for dinner with his parents.

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 22:28
You are not understanding what I mean. A casual player has nothing to do with how you are progressing skillwise and who you can beat in a fight etc. I made no mention of this anywhere yet you manage to keep grinding that axe of yours. Casual player pertains to a person who does not make their life of the game.

Darkfall is full of meaningless time sinks, horrible ui, the worst loot system since ultima, and a brutal full loot pvp system. Combine these things among others and this is where the ship sinks for truly casual players.

There basically is not nearly enough to do in the game for normal people to enjoy it.

horrible loot system are u fkin nutz??? its cool and fun and its a hardcore game not ment for casuals as was stated

-ZH-
07-13-2011, 22:33

Are you mad? I'm a casual gamer, or try to be.

I've been in love with DF as a concept since I first heard of it and as a game since day one.

And the design statement in the dev Journals certainly aimed to appeal to casual gamers. It was meant to be a revolutionary grind free mmo.

DF 2.0 is supposedly meant to be the finished product - let's hope they deliver this time on that.

-ZH-
07-13-2011, 22:34
horrible loot system are u fkin nutz??? its cool and fun and its a hardcore game not ment for casuals as was stated

Playing casual hours and enJoying an fps ffa loot mmo are in no way mutually exclusive!

Hasao0012
07-13-2011, 22:36
Playing casual hours and enJoying an fps ffa loot mmo are in no way mutually exclusive!

never ment that but i do mean it wasnt designed for them in mind

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 22:40
but you are saying that it stinks for casuals but it does not. in fact a casual player has no one to compete against but them selfs. what does ui or loot have any thing to do with how often you play?

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 22:45
and your right grizzle i don't understand you. heh you say one thing but then say another. what exactly are you wanting out of darkfall ? to log in and pvp, pve,craft,fish,? i mean i don't understand what your saying there is tons of things to do in darkfall that takes little to no time involved to do.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 22:57

When I say loot system I mean having to drag/drop/sift through items. It is so fucking tedious.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 22:59
but you are saying that it stinks for casuals but it does not. in fact a casual player has no one to compete against but them selfs. what does ui or loot have any thing to do with how often you play?

this comment makes no sense. You only have to compete against yourself right? Ok so why when I go to a spot that produces decent cash do I get attacked by someone rolling in infernal? I thought it was just me against myself.

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 23:20
this comment makes no sense. You only have to compete against yourself right? Ok so why when I go to a spot that produces decent cash do I get attacked by someone rolling in infernal? I thought it was just me against myself.

ITS A FFA PVP game lol. sorry thats hard coded into the game. your talking about from your op. the time it takes to do any thing. in that respect a casual player only play against them self in terms of how fast they level grind what ever. You are taking it as competing against someone else in the open world where you have no choice but to face others. you still are only competing against your self to level or hunt that spot. if some one rolls you or your roll them. how does that change the fact that you only play for 2 hrs and the guy you killed or got killed by plays for 10 hrs a day.

the only difference between some one that can devote a million hrs of play time to some one that cant is just that. You can do every thing the most played player can do. it just takes you longer thats it.. how is that stopping a casual player from doing any thing ?
darkfall is not like rift where you have to have a group of 20 players to take on a dungeon and kill x amount of brainless mobs over and over.
in darkfall you can go in every dungeon as the very best skilled player in the game can and you more then likely can kill any thing in there if you use some ingenuity.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 23:20
and your right grizzle i don't understand you. heh you say one thing but then say another. what exactly are you wanting out of darkfall ? to log in and pvp, pve,craft,fish,? i mean i don't understand what your saying there is tons of things to do in darkfall that takes little to no time involved to do.

Lets say you log in. The night before, you died, and lost some of your best gear. So you are logging in to a bindstone, naked. You have 2 hours to play. Now explain to me what is the best case scenario for those 2 hours to be enjoyable.

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 23:25
as far as your comment of the loot system. that has been addressed by av why its like it is. the main reason is to make it long. to make you choose do i loot or do i defend?
do i loot or do i kill first then loot.
also it gives players a chance to run back to stop you form looting them if they are close enough.

its called tactics. thats why in a siege players get pissed if you combat loot. becasue they would rather you help kill off the rest of the players first. then loot. not to mention i am sure they want some too.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 23:26
ITS A FFA PVP game lol. sorry thats hard coded into the game. your talking about from your op. the time it takes to do any thing. in that respect a casual player only play against them self in terms of how fast they level grind what ever. You are taking it as competing against someone else in the open world where you have no choice but to face others. you still are only competing against your self to level or hunt that spot. if some one rolls you or your roll them. how does that change the fact that you only play for 2 hrs and the guy you killed or got killed by plays for 10 hrs a day.

the only difference between some one that can devote a million hrs of play time to some one that cant is just that. You can do every thing the most played player can do. it just takes you longer thats it.. how is that stopping a casual player from doing any thing ?
darkfall is not like rift where you have to have a group of 20 players to take on a dungeon and kill x amount of brainless mobs over and over.
in darkfall you can go in every dungeon as the very best skilled player in the game can and you more then likely can kill any thing in there if you use some ingenuity.

You are not understanding. The casual player has everything to lose in comparison to someone who is playing 10 hours a day. The casual player must choose very carefully what he does in those 2 hours, and if he dies after grinding for 30 minutes by some 10 hour a day no lifer in infernal he loses soo much more than the no lifer.

He loses not only the gear he has on but also any profit he would have made during that time, essentially putting him behind where he was yesterday. I don't see how you can't get this concept.

If the casual somehow managed to beat the no lifer in infernal he gains a good amount of gear but the no lifer really doesn't give a fuck cause infernal is nothign when you play 10 hours a day.

I also don't think you take into account how long it takes to go from naked to fully geared, to a spot, to back to your bank. If that doesn't go well .. you just basically wasted your 2 hours.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 23:27
as far as your comment of the loot system. that has been addressed by av why its like it is. the main reason is to make it long. to make you choose do i loot or do i defend?
do i loot or do i kill first then loot.
also it gives players a chance to run back to stop you form looting them if they are close enough.

its called tactics. thats why in a siege players get pissed if you combat loot. becasue they would rather you help kill off the rest of the players first. then loot. not to mention i am sure they want some too.

You completely ignore my point about asheron's call and its loot system that also had the same damn prevention built in without the insane headache of having to deal with drag/dropping CONSTANTLY for EVERYTHING you are doing not just pvp.

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 23:28
Lets say you log in. The night before, you died, and lost some of your best gear. So you are logging in to a bindstone, naked. You have 2 hours to play. Now explain to me what is the best case scenario for those 2 hours to be enjoyable.

well knowing i only play 2 hrs a day i would already have go bags made in my bank i would recall to my bindstone if not at it. then open the bank grab my go bag and take off. simple really. if i also thought ahead and bound rune stones to where i like to hunt, would also save the the run there too. thats just me.

Chris Windblade
07-13-2011, 23:30
You completely ignore my point about asheron's call and its loot system that also had the same damn prevention built in without the insane headache of having to deal with drag/dropping CONSTANTLY for EVERYTHING you are doing not just pvp.

heh yes i know ac did it is my fav game of all time. probably why i like this loot system so much. sorry bro it is what it is. and it is this way for many reasons that make sense.

grizzlednutz
07-13-2011, 23:40
well knowing i only play 2 hrs a day i would already have go bags made in my bank i would recall to my bindstone if not at it. then open the bank grab my go bag and take off. simple really. if i also thought ahead and bound rune stones to where i like to hunt, would also save the the run there too. thats just me.

I dunno I just don't think you and I will ever agree on what is too much of a timesink and what isn't. I don't feel like writing the novel it would take to respond coherently without seeming like I'm just nitpicking or whining to you.

I will merely say that df 2 or whatever(if it happens) will have massive changes. I hope that some of these changes take away from the tedium and add to the enjoyment.

Hasao0012
07-14-2011, 03:38
I will merely say that df 2 or whatever(if it happens) will have massive changes. I hope that some of these changes take away from the tedium and add to the enjoyment.

i agree and i do hope they wipe... but that will not stop me from resubbing for DF 2 at all :D hell i plan to resub nxt month after my vaca (i don't get good internet here and i can't use my pc so its pointless)

i just know alot of people wanting a wipe to start playing do to so many exploiters/macroers/dupers

Hasao0012
07-14-2011, 03:46
as for casuals if they wipe here is how u can maximize ur 2 hours...

get all your friends together b4 the wipe and agree on a race and starter city and roll in a group and maximize ur gains

Chefen
07-14-2011, 07:37
Lawl at the guy that said 10-20 hours to have fun.

That is like devoting every minute nearly of 1-2 days out of a 7 day week to a video game, give me a break. people that think that you need more than a couple hours devoted to a game per week to have fun obviously have no life, no job, and likely can barely afford their subscription.

I'd want 10-20 hours a week at least... probably got more time than that atm !

And yes I got a job.. Yes I got friends irl too ! :ninja: