PDA

View Full Version : Enhance pointer precision

TheSensei
06-26-2011, 16:42
The enhance pointer precision in mouse options, whats your opinion, on or off?

Viluin
06-26-2011, 16:43
Off.

Liano
06-26-2011, 20:38
Off.

Jedicake
06-26-2011, 21:36
I have it on, but maybe that's my problem :p

melipone
06-26-2011, 21:42
On. I mean off

Don't be fooled by the name..its just Microsoft's way of saying "look we have a cool new feature in our crappy new OS". Its mouse accel basically. Some like it, most want it off so you get used to the sensitivity better, so you move the mouse X distance, you move the crosshair x distance on screen. With accel the distance you move it doesn't represent the distance ingame as it varies based on the speed you move it, and you move the mouse at different speeds all the time.

Lots of Quake pro's use some accel, I believe because it can help track a target once you have your crosshair on him, or to help move the view around fast while still having low sensitivity when you track a player. For snap shot movements its not so good tho. Some swear by it. Thats not to say they use the option in windows, but they will set the game to have some

zato`1
06-26-2011, 22:17
OFF. learn to use a low sensitivity and big pad. you'll do lots better in games.

yeah most quake pro's use accel, but the reason is to establish a wrist-style flickshot when using a regular mouse grip. having the accel kick in at just the right time is very important as well. you want to be able to smoothly track a target across your screen without accel interfering with your cursor, while also reserving the ability to do 90 and 180 degree turns within the same motion.

the main argument for it is that it helps to establish muscle memory better.

Rimayven
06-26-2011, 22:26
Off. pointer movement becomes more predictable if its off.

TheSensei
06-27-2011, 01:48
Off.

Thanks for all the responses. I've always had it on, and now when i turn it off my aim becomes sloppy, which i suppose should be expected. However one day ill decide to turn it off and actually try to get used to it.

PS. Liano, i wish you to return to me, my love! <3

Viluin
06-27-2011, 02:02
This is the feature that allows you to draw perfectly straight lines with your mouse. What it means is, when you move your mouse on the X axis, it takes a little more than usual vertical movement to make the pointer move on the Y axis and vice versa. The pointer becomes kinda "sticky" while moving. It's incredibly annoying for games. It's similar to mouse acceleration.

zato`1
06-27-2011, 02:21
a lot of people do play with enhance pointer precision on. its not unmerited. you just have to understand the acceleration. theres no real definite answer as to what is better or not, but of course with pure input your skill ceiling goes way up. thats not to say you couldn't achieve the same success with some sort of accel, infact, the top 10 quake players all except like 2 use some form of minor accel, but with pointer precision off. (6/11 windows sens yadda yadda you'd need to look it up to get more info about it, it gets pretty technical and depends on your mouse/resolution etc)

The Cougar
06-27-2011, 04:13
It's off. I also obsessively disable all forms of mouse acceleration on my computers even though the only fps game I've ever played is CS:S on a completely amateurish level.

Abaratican
06-27-2011, 14:08
If you want to game, use the following settings else be inferior. This gives 1:1 movement.

Keep the windows mouse sensitivity perfectly centered in mouse settings and uncheck Enhance Pointer Precision.
Go here, http://www.vdclan.net/node/18
For Windows XP run the CPL mouse fix (mouse_fix.reg), for Windows 7 run Cheese's mouse fix. Cheese's fix has premade reg files as well as a script to generate a new one based on your settings if a premade one didn't match.

That's the only way to get rid of mouse acceleration in windows. Take note that games that use RawInput for their mouse input handling will not be affected by windows' mouse acceleration anyway... but windows games, and games that use WinAPI mouse messages and a few other things for mouse input will benefit from these changes.

TheSensei
06-27-2011, 15:22
If you want to game, use the following settings else be inferior. This gives 1:1 movement.

Keep the windows mouse sensitivity perfectly centered in mouse settings and uncheck Enhance Pointer Precision.
For Windows XP run the CPL mouse fix (mouse_fix.reg), for Windows 7 run Cheese's mouse fix. Cheese's fix has premade reg files as well as a script to generate a new one based on your settings if a premade one didn't match.

That's the only way to get rid of mouse acceleration in windows. Take note that games that use RawInput for their mouse input handling will not be affected by windows' mouse acceleration anyway... but windows games, and games that use WinAPI mouse messages and a few other things for mouse input will benefit from these changes.

Thanks again for the help, out of curiosity, keeping the mouse sensitivity in the middle, is that to do with missing pixels? Also, when it comes to dpi, if I can have it on 5600 should I use it?
Thanks again,
Sensei

melipone
06-27-2011, 17:14
This is the feature that allows you to draw perfectly straight lines with your mouse.

I think its literally just mouse acceleration. Prediction is what you mean there I believe, and thats down to the mouse. If you load Paint and draw a few straight lines you will be able to tell if theres prediction in the mouse. The mouse guesses what you're doing and tries to correct imperfections so you should see periods of perfect straight lines when without prediction you wouldn't. Try circles and you might see straight lines at periods in the circle too. This is generally regarded as bad for FPS games as the mouse isn't recording your movements properly, but some of the best mice have it on by default with no option to remove it. I don't think its really that big of a deal

Thanks again for the help, out of curiosity, keeping the mouse sensitivity in the middle, is that to do with missing pixels? Also, when it comes to dpi, if I can have it on 5600 should I use it?
Thanks again,
Sensei

Put it at 6 out of 11 in windows. Anything else is generally regarded as a bad idea as you lose some precision.

DPI is 90% gimmick, 10% functionality. Use what feels comfortable in windows with 6/11 but err on the low side. Your screen is made up of pixels and you only need so much DPI to not skip any of them with mouse movements. The formula is (screen resolution width in inches x 4) / inches for 360 turn ingame. So (1024 x 4) / 11 would be 372 DPI to not skip a pixel for 90 degree FOV. Its not even that important if you do skip pixels, but thats literally the only benefit with a higher DPI mouse.

You don't use max DPI because the mouse generally performs better with lower DPI. The higher it is, the lower the max speed you can move the mouse before you get errors in the mouse. Plus you get stuff like negative acceleration

Gamers generally prefer low sensitivity because it allows you to be more precise with your aim, so low sensitivity + better mouse performance usually results in people preferring low DPI.

BUT since no one here is a pro gamer, it all comes down to personal preference and what feels good to you. Just use what feels natural but bare in mind lower sensitivity can help a lot with aim in games

Abaratican
06-27-2011, 18:14
Thanks again,
Sensei

That slider works like a multiplier of sorts. It's fractional, though.. I forget the amounts.

For arguments sake, let's say that all the way to the right the slider multiplies all mouse input by 2. So for every 1 unit of movement the mouse reports, it moves the cursor by 2. It works out to be fractional on the settings, but the center setting takes what your mouse says and just uses it, provided that you turn off enhance pointer precision's smoothing and windows' registry-key-controlled mouse curve smoothing (target of cheese/cpl mouse fix)

Tenebrion
06-27-2011, 19:33
Jesus, I just realized that my new computer setup had this shit enabled. Glad I read this thread.

Turned that shit off, and my shooter performance has gone back up.

The Cougar
06-27-2011, 20:23

I assume the mouse fixes is just regular regedit which can be done just as easily manually? Or am I missing something?

Abaratican
06-27-2011, 20:33
I assume the mouse fixes is just regular regedit which can be done just as easily manually? Or am I missing something?

Yea, if you edit the keys properly sure. Easy to make a mistake though; the reg files are good to go. The only thing I was hesitant to trust was the visual basic script to generate a .reg if the appropriate one wasn't available (for cheese's fix)... but I looked at the code myself, being a programmer, and it was fine with no hidden nasties and I went ahead and used it and it worked.