PDA

View Full Version : Best f2p mmo

Wanwo
06-25-2011, 04:25
What do you think?

My vote goes to Perfect World.

Now playing this while waiting for Darkfall to sort itself out.

Any other contenders?

Irenor
06-25-2011, 04:29
Vindictus, Dungeon Fighter, Dragon Nest, Mabinogi.

Those would be my "best" F2P MMOs at the moment.

Tenebrion
06-25-2011, 04:48
I like the combat in Global Agenda.

Grisu
06-25-2011, 04:56
I like the combat in Global Agenda.

what class do you play?

Tenebrion
06-25-2011, 04:58
what class do you play?

All 4.

Stanleyxd
06-25-2011, 05:05
probably dekaron and cabal

Grisu
06-25-2011, 05:05
All 4.

whats your main or fav out of them? i really like assault.

Tenebrion
06-25-2011, 05:09
whats your main or fav out of them? i really like assault.

It's difficult to decide, really. My most recent favorite class was the assault class, either specced for the magmalance, or for a tank+melee build (combat jetpack + upgraded melee weapon can actually be moderately effective, and pretty fun).

smg and melee recons were also fun. Snipers felt too easy to play, so I generally avoided playing them.

Robos are a shitload of fun if you duo up with another robo and coordinate turret / station placement. That was my first "favorite" playstyle.

Grisu
06-25-2011, 05:16
i swore never to play robo since they piss me off so much lol also i find it would be boring since you yourself dont really do anything in a sense since its all your turrets doing the work, in a sense its like youre the turrets bitch, but thats just me.

Tenebrion
06-25-2011, 05:20
i swore never to play robo since they piss me off so much lol also i find it would be boring since you yourself dont really do anything in a sense since its all your turrets doing the work, in a sense its like youre the turrets bitch, but thats just me.

The real fun with support robos comes with placing and moving your stations intelligently, as well as buffing your turrets at strategic moments. You still have plenty of room to snipe a few targets with your rifle as well.

But yeah, playing something like an assault can be a little more visceral and engaging at times.

nizzie
06-25-2011, 09:06
World of Tanks.

Zokten
06-25-2011, 09:51
DDO and Jumpgate

Jedicake
06-25-2011, 09:51
Hello Kitty Online

paade
06-25-2011, 10:28
"I smell elk!" (http://wolfquest.org/preview_video.php)

Wanwo
06-25-2011, 12:09
Vindictus

Not available in a lot of territories, including mine. :(

Irenor
06-25-2011, 14:42
Not available in a lot of territories, including mine. :(

Not sure where you're from, but there's an EU server scheduled to launch late this year.

Wizard of Yndor
06-25-2011, 23:33
Dungeons & Dragons online (DDO) is really well made for a free to play game. I was surprised how feature rich the game was when I tried it. Major companies providing the financial backing for it I'm sure helps.

It plays more like a MMORPG that is free to play, rather than a free to play (cheap-o) game that happens to be an MMO. If you catch my meaning.

The mechanics are outstanding- no bullshit, half-assed, made up on the spot mechanics designed to fit into an MMO 'based on' the old tried and true D&D system. You get the real deal D&D mechanics in a MMORPG world, designed with what they have learned after nearly 40 years of working with their system. Good stuff.

Well worthy of the hard drive space to keep on my drive.

Tenebrion
06-26-2011, 00:01
I actually just loaded Global Agenda up for the first time in several months, and it's pretty fucking sweet now. The free class changes that went through were pretty perfect, and the population seems to have increased dramatically.

Anyone that hasn't played it, or who hasn't played it in months, should give it another shot. It's free to play now, so well worth it.

Liano
06-26-2011, 00:13
The real fun with support robos comes with placing and moving your stations intelligently, as well as buffing your turrets at strategic moments. You still have plenty of room to snipe a few targets with your rifle as well.

But yeah, playing something like an assault can be a little more visceral and engaging at times.

robo is all about being smart, and little aiming skills :p
I roll sensor/AT/PT, it complements very well another robo. you'll allways have a turret up either to protect another robo nest or targeting directly the point, sensor has also low cooldown. I switch to medcrate if there's a ton of poison though.

also I love force blaster, it's fun and gives actually good dmg since no one rolls aoe prot but it rapes the power bar :x If the other team clumps up around the point, you can hit easy 3 guys at 400-500 dmg each.

edit: and the vandal !!! mad fun. It's so sad to see people waste it in 15sec on the point while it's shining at cockblocking people the access to your turrets :p

professer
06-26-2011, 03:45
My first MMO was some f2p sandbox, a simple one though. Runescape when I was a kid. And not the one that's popular now. That's runescape 2, I played the classic one.

And thankfully it brought me into the world of sandboxes.

Erratic
06-27-2011, 03:50
Face of Mankind. Still can't beat that freedom imo.

Does DDO have pvp btw?

Medusaz
06-27-2011, 05:25
Face of Mankind is terrible.

Erratic
06-27-2011, 05:37
Face of Mankind is terrible.
There are far worse games, and I tend to reward games that break away from the mold and actually try something different rather than rehashing the same bullshit the industry is full of...

Wizard of Yndor
06-27-2011, 09:34
Does DDO have pvp btw?

Yes DDO has PvP. Haven't tried that part of it yet though.

[edit] Also a recently added crafting system that is fairly cool too, and does not require traditional resource gathering (no hitting on rocks and trees at 8 minutes per. etc.)

nizzie
06-27-2011, 09:49
Dungeons & Dragons online (DDO) is really well made for a free to play game. I was surprised how feature rich the game was when I tried it. Major companies providing the financial backing for it I'm sure helps.

DDO war p2p from the beginning, and changed to f2p like 1-2 years ago.

Hyphelion
06-28-2011, 13:01
Face of Mankind was a lot of fun five years ago. I don't know what it is like nowadays because I haven't played it for two years.

DDO has PvP in taverns only. I played DDO for a year and then got back to Neverwinter Nights. DDO and NWN are very similar in many aspects but NWN persistent worlds are usually more "hardcore" than DDO. In NWN you can also play evil characters, on some servers PvP can be everywhere and death penalties can be harsh, including loosing all loot and some exp or even a whole level. You can also play as an animal or a monster, even a dragon, in NWN. However, DDO is really fun to play through once or twice and they feature some really nice festivals and events 2-3 times per year. The last one was the Crystal Cove kobold event for the 5th anniversary in March.

GFH_Spike
06-28-2011, 16:08
Face of Mankind shines with an active population. During quiet periods, logging in to play is largely pointless, since conflicts are entirely player-driven. If no one is causing mischief, and there is no one to antagonize, the game quickly reveals its lack of innate content. However, when the colonies are buzzing with players, conflicts spring up quite regularly, and gloriously does the Face of Mankind reveal itself. I've experienced some of the most rewarding roleplaying, firefights, and political intrigue in this flawed jewel of a game, and it is worth anyone's time to at least check out once. Nothing is simultaneously more stressful and fulfilling than rising through the ranks and leading an entire faction into war, or participating in a coordinated series of raids on enemy territory that culminate in a hostile takeover with its associated wealth of tax income. No other MMO holds a candle to FoM's ability to draw you into its world and inflame your lust for power and conquest, let alone quench it.

mightyman
06-28-2011, 16:23
Face of Mankind shines with an active population. During quiet periods, logging in to play is largely pointless, since conflicts are entirely player-driven. If no one is causing mischief, and there is no one to antagonize, the game quickly reveals its lack of innate content. However, when the colonies are buzzing with players, conflicts spring up quite regularly, and gloriously does the Face of Mankind reveal itself. I've experienced some of the most rewarding roleplaying, firefights, and political intrigue in this flawed jewel of a game, and it is worth anyone's time to at least check out once. Nothing is simultaneously more stressful and fulfilling than rising through the ranks and leading an entire faction into war, or participating in a coordinated series of raids on enemy territory that culminate in a hostile takeover with its associated wealth of tax income. No other MMO holds a candle to FoM's ability to draw you into its world and inflame your lust for power and conquest, let alone quench it.

someone already made this game lol, its called planetside it was made in 2003 and its basically what you explained but most likely more population and better fights , gameplay , everything. but as i type this i forgot that it isnt f2p in which case this may be invalid :).

GFH_Spike
06-28-2011, 18:03
someone already made this game lol, its called planetside it was made in 2003 and its basically what you explained but most likely more population and better fights , gameplay , everything. but as i type this i forgot that it isnt f2p in which case this may be invalid :).

To my knowledge, Planetside emphasizes combat to a greater extent than Face of Mankind (yet its combat is still thrilling) and lacks a comparable level of political involvement. It qualifies only as an MMOFPS, not an MMORPG. Becoming an influential part of one's faction is an important aspect of FoM; guns are drawn for a reason, and death leads to loss of all inventory items. One can take advantage of opportunities for advancement and attain a position of genuine power, and with enough support, you can have a significant impact on hundreds to thousands of players. In addition, territory control is the lifeblood that attracts allies and sustains a faction, so victory matters.

Bainwalker
06-28-2011, 18:54
I tried Face of Mankind but couldn't for the life if me get into the game. Seemed interesting but my god was it boring if you did not know what to do.

Hyphelion
06-28-2011, 20:57
Face of Mankind would become a very nice dark sci-fi game if players were able to play as xenomorphs the same way as in AvP games. Face of Mankind even started with the same game engine and very similar graphics as AvP 2 did.

I dream of a horror MMORPG based on John Carpenter's The Thing or any other horror film where you don't know if the other person is a human or a monster. As a human you'd scavenge for food and water and try to protect yourself from monsters. When someone playing monster defeats you and changes you into a monster, you become a monster too and get experience points for infecting other humans. When you are killed as a monster, you can choose to respawn either as a human or a monster but you loose experience points and maybe some loot.

Developers are starting to notice that MMO games haven't really explored the horror genre yet but the upcoming titles don't look too exciting.

Realbigdeal22
06-28-2011, 21:19
Ragnarok online. The 1st one, not RO2.

Mortimer
06-28-2011, 21:44

This. People are actually still playing that game, I've gotten an invitation to join my old gang on some private server :rolleyes:

Irenor
06-28-2011, 21:50

This. People are actually still playing that game, I've gotten an invitation to join my old gang on some private server :rolleyes:

It is a fun game, especially on private servers. Definitively some great classes too, many which are extremely rare to find nowadays. Merchant (and allsub-class), Sage, Dancer/Bard, Rogue, Tae-Kwon (and sub classes), Ninja, Gunslinger.

(Before anyone points out that Rogues are common, Ragnarok's Rogue is quite...different in it's own ways).

Weeking
06-28-2011, 22:21
It's going to be Age of Conan once it makes the announced transition. Can't remember when it's supposed to start. Should work well as f2p since it isn't grindy and combat is quite different from EQ clones, especially for melee.

Metalkon
06-28-2011, 22:23
World of Tanks

World of Tanks.

what tanks do you have? :P

Nova88
06-29-2011, 06:07
I'm probably gonna start hitting up dungeon fighter online. I played it in beta and it was too much of a grind but in this newest patch they are easing the grind a good bit.

If you ever liked playing side scrolling games like streets of rage, knights of the round, double dragon, river city ranson etc then u should check dungeon fighter out.

Anyone else playing this?

Xife
06-29-2011, 06:15
World of Tanks

what tanks do you have? :P

I'm not nizzie but I roll around in a T-34-85

The V-Shine
06-29-2011, 06:19
There is no such thing as a good MMO. Go play paintball and try to forget how boring life is, both in reality and virtual reality.

HiThere
07-08-2011, 00:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvA2KrN7F8o&hd=1