PDA

View Full Version : Polyphasic Sleep

Nightblighter
04-29-2011, 21:58
Anyone ever heard of it/tried it/have an opinion on it?

Just heard about it today, honestly never considered the idea that I could nap in the middle of a day and sleep less overall. I'm intrigued to try over this summer with a light class load.

Not really the sleep 20 min 6 times a day thing but a biphasic approach

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/screenshots/44720-uberman-sleep-cycle.html

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/03/polyphasic-sleep-one-year-later/

Shrang
04-29-2011, 22:29
Anyone ever heard of it/tried it/have an opinion on it?

Just heard about it today, honestly never considered the idea that I could nap in the middle of a day and sleep less overall. I'm intrigued to try over this summer with a light class load.

Not really the sleep 20 min 6 times a day thing but a biphasic approach

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/screenshots/44720-uberman-sleep-cycle.html

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/03/polyphasic-sleep-one-year-later/

Heard of it, i think in wired a couple years ago. Some intense jobs make people use it. I like my sleep too much to do it though.

nate4449
04-29-2011, 23:08
One of my friends did that all through college- he swears by it. I guess it does work well for some people.

I hate sleep, so much wasted time, but I'm pretty much falling asleep all day no matter how many hours of sleep I get, fml.

Makestro
04-29-2011, 23:10
It's how I use to sleep, it worked really well for me

Shrang
04-29-2011, 23:14
It's how I use to sleep, it worked really well for me

What did you freaking fill random hours of the night with consistently? How was the blurring of days?

Weeking
04-30-2011, 00:03
I often sleep 6 times 20 minutes or less before getting out of bed after I wake up the first time. And I dream vividly all that time and remember it since I wake shortly afterwards. Dunno, but might be because of some sleep disorder like narcolepsy or just working memory because I have superpowers and shit.

Death's Chill
04-30-2011, 00:09
Not sure, but I've heard many times that you need deep sleep, or REM sleep (dreaming) to fully replenish yourself. It also isn't good if you workout, as your body conducts primary repairs while you sleep.

Jonte912
04-30-2011, 00:11
Not sure, but I've heard many times that you need deep sleep, or REM sleep (dreaming) to fully replenish yourself. It also isn't good if you workout, as your body conducts primary repairs while you sleep.

from the second link it seemed that he started to get the rem sleep during the 20min naps after ~1-2 weeks of polyq35235asdawhatever sleep

Makestro
04-30-2011, 00:11
What did you freaking fill random hours of the night with consistently? How was the blurring of days?

I sleep during the day and stay up all night now lol. Internet, video games, books, tv, movies, working out, play with my dogs, ect. I'm not someone who needs to be socially active all the time what probably is a major factor but I still have friends who I hang out with and shit during other times of the day. Days don't really blur for me since I go outside and do stuff.

natedagreat
04-30-2011, 00:21
What did you freaking fill random hours of the night with consistently?

Masturbation.

Makestro
04-30-2011, 00:27
Masturbation.

Best time filler ever!

Weeking
04-30-2011, 00:30
Problem with those techniques is that you need special equipment or at least help to start the time when you actually fall asleep and make sure you actually get out of bed afterwards. No point sleeping 20m if you spend 30 minutes getting to sleep.

If I had the proper gear though, I'd try something like 20 minutes sleep, 20 minutes awake interval just for the hell of it and see if I manage to last a month without becoming completely psychotic from remembering all the dreams. My cell phone is too shitty for the job and I'd need one of those vibration alarm clocks for the deaf so I don't wake everyone up.

PirateGlen
04-30-2011, 00:59
I've often wanted to do this but I find it hard enough to get up after 7 hours let alone an hour or two. The basic premise of it is that you get diminishing returns on REM sleep from a single sleep block. From an evolutionary standpoint people (finding it hard to fill the 12 hours without daylight) sleep on and off while night the sun was set, not necessarily in a single 7 hour marathon.

Shrang
04-30-2011, 01:21
I've often wanted to do this but I find it hard enough to get up after 7 hours let alone an hour or two. The basic premise of it is that you get diminishing returns on REM sleep from a single sleep block. From an evolutionary standpoint people (finding it hard to fill the 12 hours without daylight) sleep on and off while night the sun was set, not necessarily in a single 7 hour marathon.

The other basis is that you can train yourself into faster REM sleep, Which makes the whole nap idea a lot more effective. I am almost tempted to try setting this sleep pattern for myself this summer

Makestro
04-30-2011, 01:42
The other basis is that you can train yourself into faster REM sleep, Which makes the whole nap idea a lot more effective. I am almost tempted to try setting this sleep pattern for myself this summer

When I use to do it I'll tell you, I had a lot easier time getting out of bed and felt pretty refreshed where now when I wake up it takes a couple hours for that feeling to set in

PirateGlen
04-30-2011, 01:44

Not sure what you mean by "faster". You have REM cycles as you sleep. The longest are at the beginning when you sleep. If you just ditch the following cycles you can just keep a few long ones throughout the day.

paxprobellum
04-30-2011, 01:56
I have a friend that did it. When he was training himself, he made video blogs to pass the time. In one of them, he said, and I quote, "Somebody kill me. Please."

It's not pleasant, but he eventually got in the rhythm. He got a lot more hours per day, but he had nothing to do because everyone else was asleep. Eventually he just went back to normal sleep.

I'll post his videos if I can find them.

ExcursionRob
04-30-2011, 14:06
I nap 30 mins a day and sleep 3-4 hrs per night.