PDA

View Full Version : PvP Focused MMO's

Jedicake
02-27-2011, 03:53
I need some suggestions, I don't care if it's targetting, I don't care if it's not full loot, I just want to kill players, often. oh I prefer getting experience from the pvp, unless the pve is really fun and doesn't feel like a grind.

Preferably with a high population, somewhat balanced classes (if there are classes)

Warhammer was really fun the first week but then turned boring, WoW is fucking garbage unbalanced pvp, I'm downloading the Eve trial right now so you don't have to mention that. and don't say Rift.

Need to kill some time before Darkfall's patch comes out and lures me back in again.

Irenor
02-27-2011, 04:17
Not an MMO but, Savage 2?

Not many PvP Focused MMOs out there. Best I can do is recommand game with "decen"t PvP (based on what I personally like that is not like DarkFall's combat). Dungeon Fighter Online, pretty decent Arcade-Style "MMORPG", PvP's pretty decent, although it will take a while for new players to get the hang of their characters and be able to combo well.

I think Pirates Of The Burning Seas or Uncharted Waters Online have both land and naval PvP, although I haven't played either of them so I'm not sure if it's good or not.

Otherwise, you can always check out the shadowbane private server or IPY2.

TumorousGrowth
02-27-2011, 04:42
earthrise? haven't played it, not sure how well its doing, but its a heavy on the pvps.

xpiher
02-27-2011, 05:39
earthrise? haven't played it, not sure how well its doing, but its a heavy on the pvps.

Earthrise sucks ass.

PirateGlen
02-27-2011, 05:51
I'm waiting for Planetside Next. Everything else is old or garbage.

xpiher
02-27-2011, 05:59

Yea. If you only care about PvP and don't care about any RPG elements than PSN and MAG are probably your best choices. Global Agenda is pretty good.

Jedicake
02-27-2011, 06:02
K EVE is fucking boring.

I don't wanna have to fuckin click everywhere and have an auto attack turret thing

Irenor
02-27-2011, 06:51

Check out "Mars Wars", it's basically a Planetside Clone, without SOE at the commands. Doesn't mean it's necessarily a better game though, but F2P and helps kill some time every now and then.

RaptorBlackz
02-27-2011, 09:50
Knights online.

Teth
02-27-2011, 09:56
Search "Azaroth" on Google. Hit first result. Figure it out from there.

PirateGlen
02-27-2011, 09:56
Yea. If you only care about PvP and don't care about any RPG elements than PSN and MAG are probably your best choices. Global Agenda is pretty good.

It has nothing to do with not caring about RPG elements. Most games have merely come to confuse RPG with watching numbers go up.

Battle Smurf
02-27-2011, 10:35
Nothing even comes remotely close to darkfalls pvp just play it seriously.

Planet side next might be fun for 2 months or so then it will get old just like the original.

The only other mmorpg even in development thought to be a possible pvp dream game is world of darkness its a combination of ccp (who made eve) and white wolf which made a bunch of pretty sick vampire/werewolf ect rpg games. That game wont even be in beta until q1 2012 though.

PirateGlen
02-27-2011, 11:42
Nothing even comes remotely close to darkfalls pvp just play it seriously.

Planet side next might be fun for 2 months or so then it will get old just like the original.

The only other mmorpg even in development thought to be a possible pvp dream game is world of darkness its a combination of ccp (who made eve) and white wolf which made a bunch of pretty sick vampire/werewolf ect rpg games. That game wont even be in beta until q1 2012 though.

How can I take a game with so much grinding seriously?

Mapi
02-27-2011, 12:00
Did anyone ever look into the new Jumpgate ? it looks very intresting.

http://eu.jumpgateevolution.com/

Death's Chill
02-27-2011, 12:02

Seriously what the fuck is up with people and the "grind"? They've doubled the skill gains on most stuff, are going to do that for crafting too soon, and have meditation too.

If that's not enough then wtf do you want?

Ghias
02-27-2011, 12:40
They want ut in a fantasy enviroment, btw i recommend playing ut
fast fair and without any timesink between fights

radicalhit
02-27-2011, 12:48
Seriously what the fuck is up with people and the "grind"? They've doubled the skill gains on most stuff, are going to do that for crafting too soon, and have meditation too.

If that's not enough then wtf do you want?

In my opinion It's too late for the most of us, and probably for the game's decay itself.
I've quit, and I dont think I'll ever come back to it.

zato`1
02-27-2011, 12:48
the darkfall grind is artifical and nothing more than a pansy ass time sink to keep you playing their piece of shit unbalanced game. you think wow pvp is unbalanced? fucking darkfall is a 1 class game, where everyone might as well be "generic doom guy" with all the weapons, except, SURPRISE, you have to GRIND THE SHIT OUT OF ALL YOUR SKILLS FOR MONTHS before you're viable at all in any realistic context.

im a big supporter of darkfall. but fucking be realistic. i have one of those most advanced characters on na1 but im not pulling a blanket over my head and saying "LOL THERE IS NO GRIND QQ MOAR NOOBS"

darkfall isnt a pvp mmorpg anymore. its almost entirely pve based. LITTLE skill goes into combat, especially these days where its almost all WOF and rays. darkfalls best time was when magic was at a minimum at launch and melee/archery were the prevailing playstyles.

if they ever decide to curb the usage of magic with actual valid choices then i might try it again, but even then its just a shit-tastic grind fest in which I can choose to team up and gank people, gank people by myself, or once a week (probably much less now because na1 is all scrub zerging carebears) you get to do a "cool" siege.

Adûn_East
02-27-2011, 15:17
the darkfall grind is artifical and nothing more than a pansy ass time sink to keep you playing their piece of shit unbalanced game. you think wow pvp is unbalanced? fucking darkfall is a 1 class game, where everyone might as well be "generic doom guy" with all the weapons, except, SURPRISE, you have to GRIND THE SHIT OUT OF ALL YOUR SKILLS FOR MONTHS before you're viable at all in any realistic context.

im a big supporter of darkfall. but fucking be realistic. i have one of those most advanced characters on na1 but im not pulling a blanket over my head and saying "LOL THERE IS NO GRIND QQ MOAR NOOBS"

darkfall isnt a pvp mmorpg anymore. its almost entirely pve based. LITTLE skill goes into combat, especially these days where its almost all WOF and rays. darkfalls best time was when magic was at a minimum at launch and melee/archery were the prevailing playstyles.

if they ever decide to curb the usage of magic with actual valid choices then i might try it again, but even then its just a shit-tastic grind fest in which I can choose to team up and gank people, gank people by myself, or once a week (probably much less now because na1 is all scrub zerging carebears) you get to do a "cool" siege.

Absolutely fucking spot on. This should be stickied for justice everywhere Darkfall has any presence.

Larocco
02-27-2011, 15:28
there are actually friends of mine playing darkfall who think pvp is balanced and server populated. it makes me want to help them because i feel so very sorry.

sc0r0wnz
02-27-2011, 15:38
Absolutely fucking spot on. This should be stickied for justice everywhere Darkfall has any presence.

But the combat is so much better that even with that grind I woud play it.

zato`1
02-27-2011, 16:10
But the combat is so much better that even with that grind I woud play it.

disagree. the grind is only part of what turns me off to the game. my character is more or less finished, there is always more to do but with all magic and 2 melees at surging you're basically done. killing people is fun sure but the combat is so incredibly repetitive that playing DF always leads me into simply playing a real FPS combat game like quake live.

because of the lack of variation in playing styles, the combat lends itself to becoming predictable and thus stale.

Bakou
02-27-2011, 16:17
ultima online

Machinistlol
02-27-2011, 17:33
there are actually friends of mine playing darkfall who think pvp is balanced and server populated. it makes me want to help them because i feel so very sorry.

go to wow then hero, and i find it hard to say pvp isnt balanced we all have the same options and spells etc available to us there arent limitations, every vet whos got a braincell has grinded (welcome to a mmo) theres just simply better players, with better aim, setup etc. gz to them.

i looked at UO but the graphics are just too fucking old man seriously its like a sega mega drive game yet the gameplay could be great but yeah...

Wepdesign
02-27-2011, 17:34
Did anyone ever look into the new Jumpgate ? it looks very intresting.

http://eu.jumpgateevolution.com/

That game might never come

http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/02/24/lego-group-buys-out-lego-universe-team-remaining-netdevil-teams/

nizzie
02-27-2011, 17:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8XT-CfK8M

Open Beta tomorrow. Dunno much about it, except it's gonna be f2p and has a shitty publisher.

Umberto
02-27-2011, 18:24
Please list more MMOs please!

Irenor
02-27-2011, 18:35

Open Beta tomorrow. Dunno much about it, except it's gonna be f2p and has a shitty publisher.

Oh that looks pretty nice. I had ignored Black Prophecy thinking it was going to be an EVE Clone, but I was wrong. This looks pretty decent.

Jedicake
02-27-2011, 19:30
My only BIG problem with Darkfall is the stat gains.

They're addressing like everything I want in their upcoming patches, except for base stat gain

The meditation system is for rich people who play casually, which is an oxymoron.

I fuckin can't wait till they get rid of player lag, add the lighting changes, and enviornmental sounds, then imma try knives.

Larocco
02-27-2011, 19:44
go to wow then hero, and i find it hard to say pvp isnt balanced we all have the same options and spells etc available to us there arent limitations, every vet whos got a braincell has grinded (welcome to a mmo) theres just simply better players, with better aim, setup etc. gz to them.

i looked at UO but the graphics are just too fucking old man seriously its like a sega mega drive game yet the gameplay could be great but yeah...

u are a passionate magic whore so ur opinion doesnt matter though. enjoy ur 100pop game. :)

Teth
02-27-2011, 19:45
UO is the only other game I'd waste my time on.

I logged onto Hybrid yesterday to see whats up and there were 778 people on, that counts alt chars so there were probably 300-400 actual people. Smaller world, instant travel and hotspots makes pvp not hard to find. If you've never played you can start with an alchy dexxer or something easymode to operate. :)

Curious about IPY2 because it's new with some cool twists on the original, it should have a good pop, all the good private shards get a good pop at first before dying off like Revelations/Demise did.
IPY2 is usually pushing 1400 - 1800 online at any time of the day. Admittedly, at this point in the game most people are still working on char-building so there's not much rang-rang-peekay-okay about yet, but the cities are thriving as fuck.

Kshahdoo
02-27-2011, 19:45

Lol man, I saw people were grinding skill in Quake 3. DF is nothing comparing to that...

Wizard of Yndor
02-27-2011, 21:03
Does anyone have scoop on TERA?

Classes, and levels are meh, to me. But it's not a tab-target game, and looks interesting.

Jedicake
02-27-2011, 21:26

Classes, and levels are meh, to me. But it's not a tab-target game, and looks interesting.

Agreed, I want to try it

Irenor
02-27-2011, 21:38

It's not tab-targetting, but don't expect a lot of freedom of movement either. When you attack you basically stand still or move automatically when you attack. So....if you're expecting gameplay like DarkFall you might be a little disappointed.

Spineless_DoO
02-27-2011, 22:08
Just buy an FPS and be done with it...

Wizard of Yndor
02-27-2011, 22:11
It's not tab-targetting, but don't expect a lot of freedom of movement either. When you attack you basically stand still or move automatically when you attack. So....if you're expecting gameplay like DarkFall you might be a little disappointed.

Ya, it's nothing like DF. Very arcade looking, asia flavored. Meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkDxGfXKjAk&feature=related

Wizard of Yndor
02-27-2011, 22:19

I'm open to this. Unfortunately I don't know of any FPS games that have the diversity offered by spell casting. One of the most unique things about DF combat to me is the fact that it is the only FPS style game that tries to incorporate RPG magic combat into it.

Guns, grenades, and bazookas are just old hat to me. I'm in need of something more interesting to mess with.

Please do tell if there are any games out there that have a good magic casting system built in a FPS style game.

xpiher
02-27-2011, 22:54

And yet you find Earthrise to be good :rolleyes:

AV sucks at balance thats why diversity will never happen in Darkfall. Its still the best PvP RPG on the market though because, despite lack of balance, the game doesn't force you to suck for too long anymore.

Assuming the armor/gear patch actually gives more than 10 choices for play styles then the verity complaint will no longer be valid. I do have a feeling that WoF will be one of those "you must wear this gear" skills though. I don't like that "fix' because its not a fix, but it does solve the "everyone can use the skill" problem. A better fix would be to make heavy armor users immune to the pull in effect.

Signus
02-27-2011, 23:12
Dark Age of Camelot

Irenor
02-27-2011, 23:17
I'm open to this. Unfortunately I don't know of any FPS games that have the diversity offered by spell casting. One of the most unique things about DF combat to me is the fact that it is the only FPS style game that tries to incorporate RPG magic combat into it.

Guns, grenades, and bazookas are just old hat to me. I'm in need of something more interesting to mess with.

Please do tell if there are any games out there that have a good magic casting system built in a FPS style game.

I guess you could try Savage 2? It's basically a mix of Battlefield (FPS) and Warcraft (RTS), set in a fantasy setting. You got some warrior-type classes, mage classes, rogue, Siege, etc. Decent game.

tharon
02-28-2011, 00:31

checked their site, no news about any open beta in these days.

btw

Yea. If you only care about PvP and don't care about any RPG elements than PSN and MAG are probably your best choices.

^^^^this is true, I used to run after any upcoming mmo untill I just gave up and tried MAG, and after more than a year I'm so fucking glad I did it.
mag is a faction based massive fps from zipper (socom creators), its bigger mode, "domination" is a 128 vs 128 battlefield. the games has it all, teamwork, numbers, player skill required and devoted team that patches it regulary like a MMO. sadly it is a ps3 exclusive and you need to buy an external device in order to play it with mouse and keyboard, but hey who cares, I was just tired of waiting a good mmorpg that never comes or stick to compromises like endless grind in order to play a decent pvp game.

until planetside next is out, MAG will do the job just perfectly fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2drsGwI7MZc&feature=player_embedded

btw OP, I feel about the same way, darkfall has some hella big yays that keep me lurking this forum, but the enormous nays will forver stop me to play this game :D I'd love a fast-paced game like darkfall but with some sort of avatar diversification, I have waited for soo long I can tell you it's not something worth hoping for.

Adûn_East
02-28-2011, 00:41
And yet you find Earthrise to be good :rolleyes:

And this is why you're a dumbass. ER launched 3 weeks ago vs AV's 2 year old game so obviously it's going to be in a completely rough state in comparison. And furthermore, if you even read the ER thread I criticize the game plenty for the problems it does have thus far. But I do stand by it's enormous potential with a dev team capable of realizing it. DF is fucked no matter because of AV. It's just not in the cards.

Zushakon
02-28-2011, 01:10

This is, sadly, very very true. FUCK I MISS THE GOOD OL' DAYS!!!!

Orolt Lifebring
02-28-2011, 01:37
In my opinion It's too late for the most of us, and probably for the game's decay itself.
I've quit, and I dont think I'll ever come back to it.

People have been saying it's "too late" for this game since 4 months after release, yet it's at the best state it's ever been atm.

Look, i understand those of you who prefer a game without any "grind" or whichever way you want to call it. I understand it, but you gotta understand those of us who actually like to have something to develop, something to work for, even if it's not "fair" or "skill dependant". Not everything is proving how good we are to us. If it's to you, then alright, that's fine by me, but Darkfall is not a bad game because of that, it's just not the game for you.

Regarding the OP, i don't really know of any :P Not really very into the world of knowing what mmo's exist. And even if i know they exist, don't really know much abut them.

zato`1
02-28-2011, 02:37
i personally would shit BRICKS to see an IPY2-style remake of AC1 Darktide. If someone else could make it and pull it off, I think that would just be the best goddamned thing ever.

AC1 was like, everything darkfall should've been. Except it died, for the same reasons UO died... carebearificiation.

Irenor
02-28-2011, 02:41
People have been saying it's "too late" for this game since 4 months after release, yet it's at the best state it's ever been atm.

You sure you were there at launch?

Carnagel
02-28-2011, 04:37
IPY2 is usually pushing 1400 - 1800 online at any time of the day. Admittedly, at this point in the game most people are still working on char-building so there's not much rang-rang-peekay-okay about yet, but the cities are thriving as fuck.

Yep, still can't beat original UO more than 12 years after launch. When something is done right it is effectively timeless - unless someone copies it exactly onto a new engine....i can dream :P

Unfortunately true. This is due to the extreme lack of well produced modern pvp mmo's than any giant leaps forward in fps's though

Actually there were quite a few saying it was too late 2 weeks into the beta...and they were right

Dark Age of Camelot

Rarely have I seen an MMO with so much potential for huge growth. For just a little more effort by the devs a couple of years ago and DAOC2 could have been number 1 on the charts. Ah well

The original game was some of the best fun ever, pops are too low now and it kept being sabotaged by its own developers, RIP

After playing the EQ progression server and being an old school rallos zek player, I just wish they would bring an EQ1 rallos progression server online. Call me crazy but I think it would fucking take off like a rocket

Erratic
02-28-2011, 04:56
aion emulator (or retail if you don't mind a grind)

Irenor
02-28-2011, 05:03
aion emulator (or retail if you don't mind a grind)

What? Are you telling me there are already emulators/private servers for Aion? So soon after launch....if it's true I really have to wonder about the protection behind NCSoft's coding (which is already pretty bad).

tehWise
02-28-2011, 05:04
Yep, still can't beat original UO more than 12 years after launch. When something is done right it is effectively timeless - unless someone copies it exactly onto a new engine....i can dream :P

EA should be guard whacked for scrapping UO2 back in 2000.....this trailer is from 2000, 11 years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWumht6AuZo given Bill Clinton wasn't halfway through his second term when that was released....

Ea claimed:

Electronic Arts and Origin Systems have announced a plan that will increase their focus on Ultima Online and halt production of OWO: ORIGIN (UO2). The reason is simple, rather than creating OWO: ORIGIN (UO2) as a parallel world competing with UO, we've decided to put those resources into growing and improving the core offering for Ultima Online's 230,000 loyal subscribers.

If only they knew they'd lock in 20x+ (easy) the number of loyal customers they had in those days, for the next 15 years+ (still nothing on the horizon) if they'd have gone through with it 11 years ago!!!!!!!!!! Lots of people didn't know what an MMO was in 2000, lot more people online today that would be playing a 3d version of UO2 (2000 era pre trammel) if it were available.