PDA

View Full Version : Do you hate Quests?

SphereOfDeath
01-28-2011, 22:26
This is non-Darkfall specific.
I would like to know from people who hate quests in computer games.
Let me know if you simply dislike a certain aspect or type(formula) of quest.
Or tell me why you hate quests, why you feel a game can get by without them.

Cheers in advance.

Tzacharu
01-28-2011, 22:34
I don't like quests. I like to feel that a game is not a chore, and generally quests make me feel like the game is a chore. Go here and do this, collect x of y. Not fun in most cases.

I like to do in a game what I feel like doing, rather than what some pre-determined AI decided for me.

Wufiavelli
01-28-2011, 22:45
I like quests that are well done and have a good story.
I do not however like my world to be entirely based around quests like WoW (even though wow does have good quests).
In most sandbox games I like quest like they have in Eve, money makers. Short and quick
they are also not a bad way of showing of lore and make the world more alive.

tehWise
01-28-2011, 22:46
I hate quests as well. Makes me do something I don't care to do for x amount of time for some reward.

If the reward was a rare ingot, I'd rather go kill a monster to get the ingot and at least raise skills related to killing monsters rather than gathering carrots for the npc cook.

If I am fighting monsters dropping ingots, I will be frustrated by people gathering carrots near town and getting the same prize when i'm fighting/risking/dying

Something along those lines.

Larocco
01-28-2011, 22:57
im glad someone asks.
i cant play an mmorpg that has quests anymore.

questing is the annoying version of grinding because u have to read all the shit and figure out where to go what to do.
i prefer killing the same mobs at the same spot for hours and getting some random loot from them. i actually enjoy doing that sometimes because i can watch tv or something and feel relaxed. questing feels like a real job u are not getting paid for.
it was an agony to get lvl70 on wow before getting to endgame and having some fun.

i enjoyed doing quests on baldurs gate and kotor but those games are brilliant. they feel like being in a book.

Silverhandorder
01-28-2011, 23:02
Quests have to be organic. In an MMO that is nearly impossible to do. I would say I want some type of mechanic in game that allows users to create their own content.

An example what I have in mind would be faction leaders to be players and they set the goals they want. For example they want to outfit their armies so they set a reward for what they need. This would have to be balanced to make sure no douchebaggery occurs.

GFH_Spike
01-28-2011, 23:14
I prefer quests that seem natural to the game's environment, and which develop either a side story or the main story. Most modern 'quests' are nothing more than simple tasks. An actual quest should be longer and more challenging, requiring some level of puzzle solving, exploration, tactics, or dialogue. Mistakes should be lethal or detrimental, and every choice should have a noticeable impact, with consequences that matter. Imagine a pebble landing in a lake; it should cause ripples, and perhaps several fish notice and come to the surface for a meal. ;)

Such questing is absent in most MMORPGs, and that is partially due to the difficulty inherent in allowing permanent changes to the game world based on player action. Instancing is a solution, but that removes the MMO aspect and becomes a co-op multiplayer experience. Guild Wars 2, Rift, and The Old Republic feature dynamic content, but it is either cyclic, random, or instanced, and as such, independent of the storyline or lacking permanent impact on the open game world.

Silverhandorder
01-28-2011, 23:21
For example I liked Obvilion quests. Exploring mansions for dead bodies, looking for rebel leaders and such. That is kinda hard to do with an MMO since everyone is supposed to be a special fruitcake. As such only way to have individual quests like that is to let players make quests.

SphereOfDeath
01-29-2011, 00:08
u have to read all the shit

What if it is a verbal quest? (no text unless you request it)

Cpt Obvious
01-29-2011, 00:37
killing 10 boars... stupid..

collect 10 boar tusks.. stupid..

Baralis
01-29-2011, 01:35
I dont hate quests per say. I do however dislike games that heavily rely on generic quests to level or character build.

Volari
01-29-2011, 02:11
I really hate generic collect/kill 10 rats quests. Epic quests like Everquest had were amazing.

Tenebrion
01-29-2011, 02:21
I don't like quests unless they're in a single-player game with a very good storyline pertaining to me directly.

MMO quests are generally just bullshit added to make the triviality of leveling in a theme-park more tolerable.

Wonderboy2402
01-29-2011, 04:01
MMO questings is something I no longer have patience for.

Single player quests that are well done I really enjoy. Vampire the masquerade or Baldur's gate would be examples of questing that I loved.

nizzie
01-29-2011, 11:06
Quests in MMORPGs, especially in WoW and its clones are entirely pointless, except for the XP and the occasional item. Still, I prefer doing quests instead of grinding mobs in WoW, although I don't bother reading them anymore. Their text is boring and the only reason to bother reading is to get some insight into the lore - but do I care? No. I can't say how ToR is gonna be, but so far stories in MMORPGs were boring. Devs try to make quests interesting (WoW has a nice variety of different quest types), but the problem is that they are the most important part of character progression of themeparks. That's why there's thousands of them in each game and therefore they become boring and repetitive. I don't see how themeparks could get away from that system, for sandboxes I would say less quests, make them something special. Something that is, when you are given the opportunity to accept a quest, you wanna do it because of great rewards.

Arkh
01-29-2011, 13:09
Fedex and kill X mobz quests are a very bad thing.
Now, gimme some puzzly one to solve which is unique for every toon and you got me. Like tabletop RPG games usually are.

Larocco
01-29-2011, 13:49
What if it is a verbal quest? (no text unless you request it)

still would have to pay attention to it. quests have no place in mmorpgs imo. progressing ur character shouldnt feel like u are doing some boring office job. i want to go out in the world and kill mobs with the chance of random nice loot and that should be the fastest way of progressing.
this is of course my opinion, but many people i played with through years who started out with korean questless grind mmos like me share this view.

sc0r0wnz
01-29-2011, 14:14
You are right Larocco, but most people think the other way arround '' I want to do qeust chain million to hit cap'' instead of '' farming mobs and skilling while making gold''

Fergalicious
01-29-2011, 21:47
Quests like what Asheron's Call had were good, never seen a questing system remotely as kickass.

Ragnarok Delrhe
01-29-2011, 21:48
I hate copy-paste quests aka a la wow: kill 6 rats, kill 6 big rats, kill 6 obese rats, kill 6 sumo rats, etc.

xpiher
01-29-2011, 21:48
For example I liked Obvilion quests. Exploring mansions for dead bodies, looking for rebel leaders and such. That is kinda hard to do with an MMO since everyone is supposed to be a special fruitcake. As such only way to have individual quests like that is to let players make quests.

Or do dynamic quest like Guild Wars 2 plans on doing. :idea:

I can't say how ToR is gonna be, but so far stories in MMORPGs were boring.

I think ToRs are quest are going to be multiplayer RPG style.

gtanner
02-01-2011, 12:26
As a means to introduce you to the game... yes they are ok but most certainly boring in all cases.

I have a feeling the 'quests' in ToR will be alot more bearable because of the story and conversation system.

The go to X and get Y then deliver to Z isn't content, I dont know why anyone could consider it as such.

88Chaz88
02-01-2011, 12:32
The only way you can make quests work is if you make the player care about them. You'd go out and kill grab 1000 rat ears that only drop 1/100th of the time if you thought it would make a difference to the world.

Captain Kirk
02-01-2011, 12:42
Quests in single player rpgs used to be awesome. But Mmorpg quests just suck, never had any fun quests in MMo's that ive given a shit about.

Fergalicious
02-01-2011, 15:27
Quests in single player rpgs used to be awesome. But Mmorpg quests just suck, never had any fun quests in MMo's that ive given a shit about.

Queen's Quest, Aerlinthe Recall, Focusing Stone, Gaerlan Quest, Blackmire 1-5, etc The list of ballin quests in Asheron's Call is huge.

SEANMCAD
02-01-2011, 17:00
I like quests just fine, I just do not like it being the only realistic way to get to new content.

I dont want to do a bunch of quests in order to get to the other side of the city (aka GTA series).

People who like the story in the game like to force that story on all players rather than move it to a choice methodology because they do not understand why some of us dont care about the story.

Signus
02-01-2011, 18:49
This is non-Darkfall specific.
I would like to know from people who hate quests in computer games.
Let me know if you simply dislike a certain aspect or type(formula) of quest.
Or tell me why you hate quests, why you feel a game can get by without them.

Cheers in advance.

I really enjoy quests, in old MMORPGs. Quests were extra things, difficult most of the time, vague, treasure hunt kind of deals. There weren't a ton, and the reward was never massive. Mostly it was about the narrative and maybe a unique item here and there. They were done when you wanted a break from hunting.

Now, quests are the only means to level up. They are linear, scripted, and so numerous that none of them have any serious quality. They're tasks. A job. And nobody enjoys a job.

Captain Kirk
02-01-2011, 21:28
Queen's Quest, Aerlinthe Recall, Focusing Stone, Gaerlan Quest, Blackmire 1-5, etc The list of ballin quests in Asheron's Call is huge.

You so nerdy

I cant name 1 quest in any mmo I've ever played since I dont pay any notice to them.

Irenor
02-01-2011, 22:12
I like Quests when the developers puts a lot of thought behind them....which excludes over 90% of the MMOs out there, but at least there's still 10% left.

I always read about a game's lore and try to be immersed in a game as much as possible to get the most out of the experience, and quests are part of it. Well done quests that really advances the story and your character, without having to serve self-centered farmers with their own personal agenda, is something that I enjoy a lot. I always read the text in those case. Hell, I must have read pretty much every books in Oblivion or Mabinogi for exemple. Developers clearly put a lot of thought and efforts behind those so I feel that it's important to give them the attention they deserve.

But that's just me I guess.

Makestro
02-02-2011, 01:01
Questing needs to be done right or it's a flop. I have a quest system down on paper but I'm not sharing it, since it'll go in my MMO if I ever decide to go that route.

A good example of a decent quest system was pre-cu SWG though, the missions sent you out in a random direction/distance and you would go to a lair, kill a couple waves of monsters protecting it, blow the lair up, get your money and repeat. They also had theme park style quests, what was a chain and they rewarded you novelty items to put in your houses or wear to look "cool" but compared to the player made items sucked ass. Good example is the faction driven chains that rewarded you with a little banner for your faction, and other items you could set around the buildings you owned.

Is that system perfect? no, it could have used a lot of innovation, but it worked extremely well because it gave people a way to make money and grind while remaining a sandbox game.

The major problem with questing is the player is normally forced to do it so they can reach end game faster, questing shouldn't be worthless, but it should be an option. I think the way questing is done could be more interactive while remaining simple, and the rewards for completion shouldn't be X(xp) and Y(money) but be something of more meaning.... not saying a rare item, but let your imagination wonder. A good example of a reward is being allowed into an instance like WoW....

Marrik
02-02-2011, 01:29
i liked the WoW tauren quest, where the shaman gives you a "Bowl of Magic" and you use it to "Induce Visions" and then follow a white rabbit that only you can see and here out into the middle of the desert.

88Chaz88
02-02-2011, 10:19
There's this new quest line in WoW in which you agree to be this guy's squire and help him kill dragons and rescue fair maidens. Only he's delusional, they're not dragons, and the maidens don't need saving, in fact one's a male Blood Elf. The last quest has you on the back of his horse running away from the biggest "dragon" throwing pieces of his armour at it.

Most amusing quest I've ever played on any game, single player or MMO.