PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new gaming laptop?

Wufiavelli
01-20-2011, 23:58
My current work has me traveling a lot, because i this i use a laptop and not a desktop.
My current laptop
Asus g50vt
4gb ram
Geforce 9800gs 512mb
e8235 2.8ghz (basically T9600)

Currently this can run most games out there on medium settings. And should be able to do this for another year or so.
But Sandy bridges has come out, this is gonna be a big year for rpg and mmo games. Dragon age, witcher 2, oblivion, and I am not gonna replay these games just to see shiney graphics.
Do you think it is best to sell this and get a new gaming laptop? or to just keep using my old one?
Ones i am looking at.
this
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-built-clevo-p151hm1-custom-sager-laptop-p-2973.html
or
this
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150-built-clevo-p150hm-custom-gaming-sager-notebook-p-2972.html

I also do a fair about of video editing besides gaming.

Death's Chill
01-21-2011, 01:32
Gaming laptop. Ultimate oxymoron.

nate4449
01-21-2011, 20:56
Gaming laptop. Ultimate oxymoron.

Beat me to it, word for word.

Ausei
01-21-2011, 21:55
Beat me to it, word for word.

Imagine that! a portable computation device that can also play video games!

Seriously guys get off your desktop pc is better than console and laptop pedestal and help the fucking guy.

Voodoo Hoodoo
01-22-2011, 00:09
Wuf,

The 460M is good, but not GREAT.

The 485M is pretty beasty. Personally I'd look for a 4xx series SLI if you can afford it.

Bear in mind with the new 5xx series coming out, for 95% of the parts, it's just a rebranding. The core clock and shader clock are bumped, but that's it.

Don't get a low-speed CPU. You'll end up limiting yourself graphics wise.

Ighox
01-22-2011, 00:17
Don't get a laptop for gaming purposes. You'll end up limiting yourself graphics wise.

Wufiavelli
01-22-2011, 21:12
Wuf,

The 460M is good, but not GREAT.

The 485M is pretty beasty. Personally I'd look for a 4xx series SLI if you can afford it.

Bear in mind with the new 5xx series coming out, for 95% of the parts, it's just a rebranding. The core clock and shader clock are bumped, but that's it.

Don't get a low-speed CPU. You'll end up limiting yourself graphics wise.

thank you.

Largion
01-22-2011, 21:29
Don't get a laptop for gaming purposes. You'll end up limiting yourself graphics wise.

Did you read anything except the title?

My current work has me traveling a lot, because i this i use a laptop and not a desktop.

Death's Chill
01-23-2011, 02:20
Imagine that! a portable computation device that can also play video games!

Seriously guys get off your desktop pc is better than console and laptop pedestal and help the fucking guy.

Just a joke mate. I wouldn't trust myself giving laptop advise anyways, I have very little experience with them. Desktops are superior, there's no question about that, in the cost to effectiveness ratio. Also more flexibility in screen size.

You can if you really need the portability, get a laptop that will run games as well as my desktop here, but it will cost you... a lot. If you feel it's worth it OP, good luck getting good advice on which one would be best for you.