PDA

View Full Version : Mousepads - What's Your Fav?

Garful
01-13-2011, 23:22
So, my current mousepad is just way too beatup to continue using. It used to have the perfect about of friction/traction for FPS to balance out the higher-than-average scroll speed that i like to use, but now it's worn smooth. :(

I can't just buy the same mousepad because these were actually custom made by a LAN Center I used to manage in Cali years ago (Rivalution Network Center #3).

So, I'm in the market for a new gaming mousepad. I'm very picky. No smooth surfaces. Give me some options!

Abaratican
01-13-2011, 23:26
Any metallic mousepad with a coating over it providing a course side and a smooth side.

Razer has these, Rocketfish does too, so do other manufacturers.

It's all about the same, imo... I use a razer one, my wife uses a rocketfish one. The metallic ones don't wear as much as a traditional cloth/rubber mousepad, and don't end up with raised-cloth rolls, or holes in it, or start having the rubber break off at edges (being held on only by the cloth)...

First example I could find:
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Vespula-Dual-Sided-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0036WTBFY

The one I actually use:
http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=4758996

My wife's:
http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-RF-MSEPAD-Mouse-pad-black/dp/tech-data/B001719CMI

You don't even need to order these off the web; best buy carries rocketfish ones that are just as nice... so you can check them out there in person too.

P.S.: I use the coarser 'control' side of mine.

Garful
01-13-2011, 23:39
Thanks Nacitar! I just checked the Best Buy near me (online) and they have the Rocketfish in stock. I'm going to stop by on my way home and test out the control side. Sounds like it might be a good fit.

Viluin
01-13-2011, 23:45
Glass mousepads ftw. I have a Corepad Magna Blue which is just sex. Heard the Icemats are good too. Unfortunately my Lachesis doesn't work on the mousepad.

Abaratican
01-13-2011, 23:49
Glass mousepads ftw. I have a Corepad Magna Blue which is just sex. Heard the Icemats are good too. Unfortunately my Lachesis doesn't work on the mousepad.

Many, many mice don't work on glass mousepads.

Besides that this doesn't cover his non-smooth requirement.

Nevron
01-13-2011, 23:52
I use the Razer Hazmat. I don't think they make them anymore, the Vespula is basically the same thing.

Garful
01-13-2011, 23:56
Yeah, I really like what I'm reading about the Vespula on some review blogs. Would be nice to have the smooth-surface option for the rare games where I do need more speed over control.

Unless I really like the Rocketfish that Best Buy has in stock, I'll probably put in an order for Vespula.

Nunz
01-13-2011, 23:58
I dont use a mousepad. Haven't for years.

Viluin
01-14-2011, 00:01
Many, many mice don't work on glass mousepads.

Besides that this doesn't cover his non-smooth requirement.

Oh, I didn't even read that. Why would anyone want a non-smooth mousepad? You're not cool unless you can handle 4000DPI on a glass surface. Smooth surfaces arguably provide more control than course surfaces because the reduced friction means your hand moves freely and accurately, not bogged down by friction.

Garful
01-14-2011, 00:06
BTW, in case any of you are looking to pickup a good, but cheap, monitor... I found this deal on the Staples website. You can combine it with a $25 off $75 purchase coupon that you can buy for like $1.47 from my second link (people get these coupons for taking online surveys and then sell them).

I know it's eMachines brand, but I think they've really improved in quality since Gateway bought them in 04.

http://www.staples.com/eMachines-E230H-bd-23-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/product-nr_912726?cmArea=SEARCH

http://www.e-junkie.com/staple

Grisu
01-14-2011, 00:07
I dont use a mousepad. Haven't for years.

Same good old wood works very well.

Garful
01-14-2011, 00:08
Oh, I didn't even read that. Why would anyone want a non-smooth mousepad? You're not cool unless you can handle 4000DPI on a glass surface. Smooth surfaces arguably provide more control than course surfaces because the reduced friction means your hand moves freely and accurately, not bogged down by friction.

Nah, if it's constant resistance, it helps with control because it takes a more forceful movement and cuts down on things like hand shakes :)

Viluin
01-14-2011, 00:11
Nah, if it's constant resistance, it helps with control because it takes a more forceful movement and cuts down on things like hand shakes :)

Lol, hand shakes. A smooth mousepad has constant resistance too..

Garful
01-14-2011, 00:13
Lol, hand shakes. A smooth mousepad has constant resistance too..

*shrug*

A lot of people just find that course surfaces help them track better. I've always preferred course surfaces.

nizzie
01-14-2011, 00:18
Razer exact mat, only using control (coarse) side. I bought it like 3 years ago, great quality.

Stanleyxd
01-14-2011, 00:37
Anything from http://www.func.net/

I have been using the func 1030 original for 5+ years and it's still like new.

nepila
01-14-2011, 01:39
I haven't used a mousepad after switching away from the old ball mice.

zato`1
01-14-2011, 02:18
i was not even aware of the presence of smooth surface mousepads

the mere thought of using one makes me want to punch you in the face right now

glass? RLY?

Viluin
01-14-2011, 02:30
i was not even aware of the presence of smooth surface mousepads

the mere thought of using one makes me want to punch you in the face right now

glass? RLY?

Oh yes. It's great. Full control over your mouse. It's like you're moving it through the air instead of on a surface.

zato`1
01-14-2011, 02:38
Oh yes. It's great. Full control over your mouse. It's like you're moving it through the air instead of on a surface.

what mouse do you use for this? i fully believe that what separates most players from being great and being uber is usually mouse sensitivity and control.

id be interested to see some information on this. my previous experience with mouses on glass has been bad. they don't work, at all. very frustrating to use a glass surface when nothing else is available.

GFH_Spike
01-14-2011, 03:25
I don't use mousepads, as none that I've tried have surpassed my wooden desk for desired level of friction.

Viluin
01-14-2011, 03:33
what mouse do you use for this? i fully believe that what separates most players from being great and being uber is usually mouse sensitivity and control.

id be interested to see some information on this. my previous experience with mouses on glass has been bad. they don't work, at all. very frustrating to use a glass surface when nothing else is available.

A glass mousepad isn't the same as using it on a glass table or something. There's usually a metal plate in the mousepad or something else for the mouse to track on. I used to have a Razer Copperhead which worked perfectly with my glass mousepad. Then I bought a Razer Lachesis and for some reason that one didn't work, so I'm saving the mousepad for my next mouse.

nepila
01-14-2011, 15:45
Btw little offtopic, but what would be a good, "big" gaming mouse? Usually the ones I see are flat and small. I'd rather want something around the size of a Logitech m518, since its a perfect fit to my hand.
I'm not going to replace the mouse yet because it's still awesome. But for future reference.

[LoD] EE
01-14-2011, 16:01
I dont use a mouse pad, I just use the table the computer is on. Not too smooth, not too rough, doesnt wear out. Perfect in every way.

88Chaz88
01-14-2011, 16:09
I just use a £1.49 cloth one I got from tescos. Does the job fine.

I would just use the normal desk surface but I recently upgraded to a stylish black glass desk which unfortunately fucks up the led or something.

Abaratican
01-14-2011, 16:15
I just use a £1.49 cloth one I got from tescos. Does the job fine.

I would just use the normal desk surface but I recently upgraded to a stylish black glass desk which unfortunately fucks up the led or something.

Upgrade?

Advantage:
- Aesthetics

Disadvantage:
- Function Loss

Kay Rica
01-14-2011, 16:21
I bought a 10 dollar Razer mousepad and it dramatically increased the accuracy of my Razer Deathadder mouse.

88Chaz88
01-14-2011, 16:26
Upgrade?

Advantage:
- Aesthetics

Disadvantage:
- Function Loss

It swings out an extended work area. So overall it's a function gain.

bobii
01-14-2011, 16:33
A4 paper, because these retarded mousefeet fuck up any surface in a few weeks.

sc0r0wnz
01-14-2011, 16:35
Btw little offtopic, but what would be a good, "big" gaming mouse? Usually the ones I see are flat and small. I'd rather want something around the size of a Logitech m518, since its a perfect fit to my hand.
I'm not going to replace the mouse yet because it's still awesome. But for future reference.

You should defenitly look into Logitech G500, mouse is smooth as hell and quiet big ( I got quiet big hands and it fits close to perfect)

And I got a standar mousepad from Bestbuy, I always use the smooth side altough my wooden surfaces aint that bad but it's missing some perfection.

Abaratican
01-14-2011, 16:40
It swings out an extended work area. So overall it's a function gain.

You win. But I'll get you next time gadget. Next time. *meow*

zato`1
01-14-2011, 16:41
im looking at doing some competitive fps gaming because i cant pull down overtime at work anymore. this thread came at a great time because im currently in a debacle about my mouse and mousepad situation.

i feel like for a keyboard, all i need is WSAD and i'll be fine. but my mouse.... bleh. my aim is nearly flawless, but im getting logistical issues when trying to land really tough flick shots or fast movements. you know, the standard mouse bullshit... mousepad rides up a little bit, mouse goes tiny bit off mouse pad, you miss your shot, get killed, etc..

these arent things that would normally bother me but when $5000 is on the line its important to be OCD with peripherals.

im going to look into that razor mouse / glass mouse pad. i need a mouse without all the crazy widgets and shit though, just a basic... mouse.... but, better. something high quality...

everything ive found so far has had like 40 buttons that i dont need and make the mouse very cumbersome and unwieldy. does anyone have a suggestion that perhaps fits my description? just a high quality, basic-style mouse with a very good mouse pad

(i cant believe im saying a mousepad is going to change my game)

Tzacharu
01-14-2011, 22:53
Steelseries NP+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826995050&Tpk=Steelseries%20NP%2b

High friction mouse pad with water resistance. ~17 inches x 14 inches. If you don't like the roughness then something else from Steelseries, like the 4HD/9HD might be right for you.

So glad I bought this. I recommend Steelseries. My brothers a few of my friends have yet to be disappointed by them.

im looking at doing some competitive fps gaming because i cant pull down overtime at work anymore. this thread came at a great time because im currently in a debacle about my mouse and mousepad situation.

i feel like for a keyboard, all i need is WSAD and i'll be fine. but my mouse.... bleh. my aim is nearly flawless, but im getting logistical issues when trying to land really tough flick shots or fast movements. you know, the standard mouse bullshit... mousepad rides up a little bit, mouse goes tiny bit off mouse pad, you miss your shot, get killed, etc..

these arent things that would normally bother me but when $5000 is on the line its important to be OCD with peripherals.

im going to look into that razor mouse / glass mouse pad. i need a mouse without all the crazy widgets and shit though, just a basic... mouse.... but, better. something high quality...

everything ive found so far has had like 40 buttons that i dont need and make the mouse very cumbersome and unwieldy. does anyone have a suggestion that perhaps fits my description? just a high quality, basic-style mouse with a very good mouse pad

(i cant believe im saying a mousepad is going to change my game)

You can't play baseball without a baseball bat. You can't fix a car without good tools. You can't do a lot of things without good quality gear, same goes for competitive gaming. Mousepads can most definitely change a lot, same with mice. I've tried playing games competitively with bad gear, most recently a poor Microsoft lazer mouse. The mouse registered movement differently when you moved quickly, compared to when it moved slowly, which is a no-no for gaming. It's these kinds of things that occur when you try to play competitively with bad quality tools.

If you want a basic mouse, I'd say go for a Razer Deathadder. That's why I bought mine. Only has the two basic left/right buttons, a scroll wheel, and two buttons that I hardly even notice on the left side. If not that, then the Steelseries Xai is a good choice as well. They're both high quality, ergonomic, and responsive.

I had a basic mousepad before and noticed quick changes when I switched to my NP+. Once I got the sensitivity down and got used to its roughness, which I purchased it for, I'm getting much better at landing shots. Not to mention it's 17x14 inches, Covers half the right side of my desk. I've yet to run out of space while playing. I'm a pretty high sensitivity user, so maybe that doesn't mean much, but they don't make em much bigger than that, except for the QcK+ Heavy maybe.

shandy7894
01-15-2011, 07:25
I use a razer one, my wife uses a rocketfish one. The metallic ones don't wear as much as a traditional cloth/rubber mousepad, and don't end up with raised-cloth rolls, or holes in it, or start having the rubber break off at edges

-----------------------------------------
SEO Dubai (http://www.micrositez.ae/)
Dubai SEO (http://www.micrositez.ae/)

Chalupas
01-15-2011, 12:19
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/310473/Office-Depot-Brand-Extra-Large-Mouse/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-Computer_Accessories-_-310473&mr:trackingCode=82F788C2-EDFB-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Mouse pad, place mat, ashtray, coaster

bmfof
01-15-2011, 12:29
Using a Razer Goliathus here. When I changed it with the old 1 euro one I felt like my hand was flying across the desk. At first, before I got it, I was kinda sceptical about the whole thing with 20$ mousepads and shit. I guess people can't notice the difference until they actually try using a better pad.