PDA

View Full Version : Before I actually start playing the game...

xPepperGodx
10-21-2010, 05:39
I'd like a few things cleared up for me...
I can't download the free trial and test this on my own until around February, so obviously, I can't play until around there...

So I have a few questions about the game I'd like someone to clarify for me...

1. I heard when you die, you drop EVERYTHING... Is this true or did they change this?... I don't wanna get some really badass armor or weapon, and then turn out to not even be able to use it for very long cause I get killed by an npc or pwned by a ganker... I really wouldn't mind dropping some stuff, no matter how good or bad, but dropping everything every time I get killed? That'll get on my nerves bigtime...

2. Is there a certain point to where you can't kill players? I know there's no leveling, only skills, but what if you're a noob and someone who has been playing forever comes up and slaughters you? Are you basically just screwed?

These are really the only things stopping me from wanting to play...

2can
10-21-2010, 05:46
the issues you have asked about are present in the game...yes you will lose everything you have with you at your death, and yes their is a difference between well developed characters and newbs, but the fun is that you will always run into people worse than you and better than you, if you play smart and think outside the box you can be successful regardless

paxprobellum
10-21-2010, 06:07
1. I heard when you die, you drop EVERYTHING... Is this true or did they change this?... I don't wanna get some really badass armor or weapon, and then turn out to not even be able to use it for very long cause I get killed by an npc or pwned by a ganker... I really wouldn't mind dropping some stuff, no matter how good or bad, but dropping everything every time I get killed? That'll get on my nerves bigtime...

Yes, you drop everything. Gear is very replaceable. It's not uncommon for vets to go through multiple entire gear sets per day. Don't get too attached to stuff -- it all breaks eventually anyway.

2. Is there a certain point to where you can't kill players? I know there's no leveling, only skills, but what if you're a noob and someone who has been playing forever comes up and slaughters you? Are you basically just screwed?

Vets will kill you 1v1. Some people rarely lose 1v1 even against other vets. This is not a 1v1 game. Most "real" battles are decided by 1) tactics 2) strategy and 3) numbers, not who has the best 1v1s.

Good. Come on in. The water's fine.

Nathero
10-21-2010, 06:08
You can always keep your good armor in the bank if you really like your pixels.
Also mostly people since the start are mostly way better for with a bit of grinding you can get viable in a couple weeks .

Lord Zeb
10-21-2010, 07:30
I can't download the free trial and test this on my own until around February, so obviously, I can't play until around there...

You drop all.
If you are lucky, you will find the stuff left in your Backpack, especially if you are fighting alone at a secluded PvE spawn. (Mobs don't loot.)
There is also the possibility that people do NOT loot your stuff, as they have no use of it. Vets often just take usable materials such as Ore, Ingots, Wood, Sulfur, Arrows, Gold and so on, while leaving common armor pieces and weapons they wouldn't use themselves. What is good for you might be worthless to someone else. ;)

In the end, all armor pieces and weapons will break though, so don't get too attached to them and have multiple sets ready sorted in bags in the bank for quick re-equipping of your character.

There is a Newb protection for 1 hour of playtime, for people to get used to the controls. During that time no player can hurt you in any other way than bouncing you off a cliff or something. (One do however not die of falling damage... but if Mobs find you down there while you are weakened you are in trouble.)

As for power levels, yes, there is a great power gap between Newbs and Veterans, where Newbs can hardly even damage a Vet past his regeneration rate (with the low-grade weapons they have easy access to) and a Vet can kill a Newb in a couple of hits with a good weapon.

It is however quite feasible to get competitive within a month, at least for Melee group fighting. Skill Grind has be re-balanced and can be considered to be finished apart from Buffs and similar spells, and the mega-grind of becoming a Master-of-All-Trades-Hybrid is to be mitigated by a Prestige Class system being introduced with DF2010 Expansion... which we hope will go live around Christmas, and hence hopefully will be included when you start playing. Only part left of the Grind will be Attributes and economy to grind spells and skills to craft your own gear... but one can join a Clan for economic support and gear.

mythro
10-21-2010, 07:47

#1 Rule in Darkfall: Do not take anything out of the bank you are not willing to lose. I personally have a habit of losing 2-3 gearbags a day. Eventually you won't think twice about it.

Running around by yourself will cost you a lot of deaths and the hands of random people passing through that want your loot. Your best bet is to find a decent clan as soon as your newb protection drops and also don't smack talk your opponents. I have found on many occasions that by telling a vet GF (Good Fight) that they offer gear back minus regs etc. For the most part the community is pretty decent here, but you will always find the usual asshats running around ganking new players and dry looting as well.

If you are planning on playing I would definitely suggest getting in as soon as possible since they will eventually start advertising DF and the population should boom. This will give you the advantage of being a semi-vetted player by then. Good Luck mate.

screw loose
10-21-2010, 11:13

This is not the game for you. Try the traditional cookie cutter WoW clones.

xPepperGodx
10-22-2010, 01:00
This is not the game for you. Try the traditional cookie cutter WoW clones.

I played just about every WoW clone possible. They all sucked, except for a few, which I only got into for about 2-3 months before they bored me. Too repetitive. I like using skill and strategy, which from what Ive seen, this game has much of. This is a game I wouldn't mind playing, but these are the only things that upset me, but through what has been said, I'm not too bothered by it anymore.

Umki Bloodsoul
10-22-2010, 07:04
Darkfall is actually the best MMO out there. No other game will throw you so easily through all possible dimensions of human emotions, like fear, frustration, adrenaline rush, rage, anger, pure happiness, excitement, ... And everything provided just by the little "Full Loot" feature. :D

$id Viciou$
10-22-2010, 07:10

The whole point is that it gets on your nerves. This provides an adrenaline rush. Play for a few months and wear your best shit all of the time and you will know what I am talking about. Play other games and it is safer and you get to keep your shit but you will not experience the rush that I am talking about. Yes, there is coveted shit in this game that everyone wants and you should wear any chance that you get for a good time. Every goodtime in this game is temporary. You will always have bad days but the good days are funner for some of us when compared to every other MMO out there. We want to get engaged for a long time and when it matters be too frightened to get up and go pee. Welcome to Darkfall!

This game has the biggest open world without instances. You will impact other players the more that you play. This can make things very competitive but that is the whole point because this is the PVP game.

Drafli
10-22-2010, 08:20
There gear you wear should be inline with how much money your char can make per hour. So if you are a noobie, you are wearing crappy goblin armour that you can replace easily by killing more goblins. (You should have a stockpile in your bank of this after your first few hours of play anyway.)

Then as your character skills up and you can kill tougher mobs and make more money, you improve your gear accordingly.

Bank early and often in the first few hours you play, and your on your way.

Another thing you can do is when pieces of your best armour is about to break, bank it. When you have a full set of shineys about to break. Put it on and let some sucker kill you.

This lets your brain enjoy watching yourself get dry looted, and helps reprogram your thinking.

screw loose
10-22-2010, 08:39
I played just about every WoW clone possible. They all sucked, except for a few, which I only got into for about 2-3 months before they bored me. Too repetitive. I like using skill and strategy, which from what Ive seen, this game has much of. This is a game I wouldn't mind playing, but these are the only things that upset me, but through what has been said, I'm not too bothered by it anymore.

its full loot and no safe zones, your 2 issues. And those 2 things will not change.

Mikethk
10-22-2010, 08:46
If your done with wow, this would be the next game.