PDA

View Full Version : DF and UO/Shadowbane

Jedicake
07-25-2010, 19:25
Ok I never did try UO or Shadowbane so I was just curious from people who tried either DF and one of them, or all three

Which is/was the most harsh game? cause in DF you just start out with a rather short newbie guide, naked with a leafblade. and did they have full loot or partial loot?

Also, which between UO and Shadowbane was the most simliar to Darkfall? did Darkfall just have a couple aspects of UO and Shadowbane?

Ahhh and one more question, if you tried both UO and Shadowbane, which one did you like better ;)

Tenebrion
07-25-2010, 19:34
Ultima Online had a sandbox world that was more similar to Darkfall than Shadowbane, but Shadowbane had a more PVP-driven political system, making it more similar to Darkfall than Ultima Online.

Ultima Online had a harsher world, however, if for no other reason than all varieties of players were mixed together ; the PVEers, crafters, and socialites had to share a world with the murderers, thieves, and con-artists. But, one thing that was tough with Shadowbane was that it was possible for your enemies to literally burn your home to the ground (and was something that happened fairly regularly)

I liked Ultima Online's world the most, but prefered Shadowbane's largescale PVP.

I miss both games, and really regret that neither (truly) exists any more.

Jedicake
07-25-2010, 19:41
omg both sound badass, thanks Tenebrion

Don Chino
07-25-2010, 19:41
I loved UO, and id recommend you trying it with a good free server.

www.uosecondage.com Is the best I reckon.

Gloomrender
07-25-2010, 19:43
^This pretty much.

I think Shadowbane was harsher though because your town that took you months to build could be burned down in 24 hours. But that's part of what made the game great, it was Braveheart-level dramatic and epic.

Tenebrion
07-25-2010, 19:46
The big difference between UO and DF was that UO had way more social content ; there were bards, taverns, dragon-tamers, treasure hunters, fishing ships, houses that could be decorated, and more.

And, best of all, UO didn't have nearly as much of a time-sink to get shit done as DF does - gathering the mats for a set of gear only took a few minutes, traveling across the world could be done in seconds, and things like boats, houses, and vendors could be bought straight from NPC vendors for fairly cheap.

The nice thing about UO was that you didn't have to spend hours of your time looking for people to kill, or farming to replace your gear. If you died, it wasn't a problem, since you (most likely) had tons of drop bags in the bank - even if you were a relative newbie. As a result, casual PVP was easy to find, and non-stressful.

Jedicake
07-25-2010, 19:50
Holy shit I've been reading up on UO and I didn't know it got that complex

xpiher
07-25-2010, 20:48
Holy shit I've been reading up on UO and I didn't know it got that complex

While everything the people say above is true (more or less) UO has one big draw back, for me anything, and thats the combat system.

@ Tenebrion: Why should gear be so easy to replace?

mcap
07-25-2010, 22:07
In UO, I was a dick. That game allowed for the most awesome and creative griefing ever seen.

Examples include:

Dropping a chest with an explosion trap near the bank, waiting for some newbie to open it and looting him dry
Giving someone poisoned bread and watching them die after eating it, then looting them dry
Hiding in the bushes near someone's house and running through the door when they open it, then looting it dry
Selling someone a mismarked rune that (says it goes to a city but actually goes to the bottom of a dungeon. After they die, the mobs loot them dry (honestly).

There are many more, but that gives you an example. The game was pretty cool, but it suffered because they caved to the pve crowd. Trammel killed the pvp for good, but the murder count patch drove most pvp players away before that.

So I'd say UO had the potential to be much more harsh than Darkfall, but it also gave people ways to play the game without risking much (crafting especially). Unless you were aligned with order/chaos, towns were basically safe zones. All you had to do was type "Guards" and any attacker or thief would be instagibbed.

Baralis
07-26-2010, 00:39
In UO, I was a dick. That game allowed for the most awesome and creative griefing ever seen.

Examples include:

Dropping a chest with an explosion trap near the bank, waiting for some newbie to open it and looting him dry
Giving someone poisoned bread and watching them die after eating it, then looting them dry
Hiding in the bushes near someone's house and running through the door when they open it, then looting it dry
Selling someone a mismarked rune that (says it goes to a city but actually goes to the bottom of a dungeon. After they die, the mobs loot them dry (honestly).

There are many more, but that gives you an example. The game was pretty cool, but it suffered because they caved to the pve crowd. Trammel killed the pvp for good, but the murder count patch drove most pvp players away before that.

So I'd say UO had the potential to be much more harsh than Darkfall, but it also gave people ways to play the game without risking much (crafting especially). Unless you were aligned with order/chaos, towns were basically safe zones. All you had to do was type "Guards" and any attacker or thief would be instagibbed.

Good times!

We used to mark runes (mismarked) while my pals waited at the location to ambush them. When they popped in they would find themselves surrounded and quickly die. Watching the nerd rage was so enjoyable.

I still play UO on a private server. The great thing about uo is the diversity. There are so many things that you can do it takes awhile to master them all.

Tenebrion
07-26-2010, 02:10
While everything the people say above is true (more or less) UO has one big draw back, for me anything, and thats the combat system.

@ Tenebrion: Why should gear be so easy to replace?

Standard gear should be easy to get to encourage casual play. When resources and equipment are common, you can better gage the risk vs reward when it comes to PVP.

Okay, let me provide an example of what I mean : In UO, when I would go hunting, I would wear a high quality Archer set, plus weapons, reagents, and potions, which cost a total of about 2,000g. I would recall to bank when I hit around the 5,000 to 10,000g mark. In those situations, the big loss for me if I were to die would have been the gold that I would have lost, rather than the gear that I used while farming.

In Darkfall, people tend to not wear good gear when PVEing simply because it wasn't worth risking losing it. In a system like Ultima Online's, that's not so much an issue.

Marrik
07-26-2010, 04:17
i might go to the Shadowbane emulator at some point, IMO the city and siege system in DFO is shitty

Sharuk
07-26-2010, 04:42
I never got to play any of them, the MMO i played the most so far has been LOTRO, honestly it is a great game even though im more PvP oriented the PvE was still awesome solo (The first time through only that is) or with a group of friends. And thats really what made the game for me, the community and the friends i had ingame. That is also what made PvP so enjoyable in that game, it was the atmosphere and the community on the Gladden server.

Once everyone started leaving the game and logging on less it became less fun and more of a grind(Like with deeds and traits and gear, they made it less fun and more linear, you had to get certain gear to progress in the storyline which is lame). Turbine also really has dropped the ball on LOTRO PvP also, after they lets raiders gain 30 infamy a kill, it was the begining of the end.

Anyway, lots of good memories, im just waiting for the perfect MMO like everyone else

Carnagel
07-26-2010, 08:49
double post

Carnagel
07-26-2010, 08:52
The thing I liked about both UO and Shadowbane was I rarely felt like I was wasting time when playing them. Whether I was out pvp'ing or getting materials in UO or hunting down a rare piece of gear, or sieging, it mostly felt like it was time well spent and good fun in the bargain

After just a few weeks in DFO it felt like 95% of the time I was logged in was wasted time grinding skills, and so therefore it got binned

As far as the harshest game it is a toss up between UO and Shadowbane, depending on your play style. Darkfall may be harsh, not really sure, but for me it wasn't even worth playing so I can't comment on that

If you were a solo pk'er then Shadowbane was actually not very harsh at all - as the most you could potentially lose was just whatever was in your pack if you died, whereas if you were a guild member and contributed towards the building and advancement of your city then Shadowbane could be extremely harsh if some other guild or group of guilds destroyed your city

On the other side of the coin in UO as a solo player it was a lot harsher then if guilded, as if you died you lost everything on you, and a solo player was obviously not as strong as one running with a few other friends

A game I spent a considerable amount of time playing back in the day was EQ1 on the rallos servers, where is was level based (+/- 2) pvp and 1 item loot, and wearing good gear did make a ton of difference in the strength of your character so it provided a good balance of pvp strength vs risk and reward - to the point of it being close to the most balanced pvp game I have played so far. With spells like Blind actually turning the players screen black to prevent them stripping their items into their pack when they were going to die, and all crowd control working in both pve and pvp, and leveling taking a long time so you would never have a shortage of people to kill in your level range - it was a great game

The least harsh pvp was when WoW first started and there was open world pvp, but surprisingly it was also very good fun. This is before the battlegrounds / arena's came into the game and people stood around like stunned mullets in a city waiting in an arena queue - everyone was out there leveling and fighting, and for a few months it was actually great fun running around with a friend or two open world pvp'ing. I don't know if the fun would have continued because it was pretty much pvp with zero consequences, so maybe blizzard took the correct long term approach by implementing the arena's and so forth, even though that decision ruined the game for pretty much anyone that was playing at that time that I knew irl.

[tDC]Nemesis
07-26-2010, 09:11
UO is by far the best MMORPG ever.

...and its still the best out there.

Theres alot of good freeshards around with a population above 500 at peaks, you should try one of them.

The game mechanics is so brilliant so theres no complex combat-system needed. People will pvp anyway, and thats whats so great about it.
And if you dont like pvp, theres no need to be involved in it (except for the risk vs reward if you leave guardzone, ofcourse).

Some pics from a few freeshards aswell as OSI here:
http://tveksamt.se/tdc/gallery/

kil_2k
07-26-2010, 10:07
i might go to the Shadowbane emulator at some point, IMO the city and siege system in DFO is shitty

I will be going over to SBEMU if it's ever finished and stable. By far the greatest game i've ever played. So many different ways to build and play the same classes. So many possible templates it was insane.

Group combat meant so much more. Numbers, gear and character level were nowhere near as important as skill. I had some of the best times in SB PvPing on my R2 Nephilim Assassin, or an R2 Dwarf Warrior, or my lvl 39 Centaur Barbarian vs people who were R6-7. From R4 you could PvP up to level 75 fairly quickly if you couldn't be bothered to PvE, which is exactly what I did with my BW Ranger. When I say fairly quickly, I mean a few days btw. With PvE you could hit max level in 1-2 days no problem, because SB was all about PvP.

Fuck, I want SB back.

Elmi
07-26-2010, 12:38
Played both UO and SB, and i agree with everything said above.

P.S. Kinda strange feeling while reading thread with mature and thought-out posts on forumfall O.o

Koveras
07-26-2010, 13:17
Also played both and do agree with most posts here.

The most fun I had was in SB, because almost everything you do is PVP oriented. NvN, GvG, PvP, Rune camping, Boss hunting you name it. Another reason why both games are great is because if you want, you could just steal shit from others without killing. How fucking great is that.

I remember playing SB and sneaking into cities, searching for buffbots or assassins (that died) They would need to rebuff their weapons/armor and that was a great window in wich you could steal their high end gear. (and not lootable since it was equipped)

Smallscale PvP was what I enjoyed the most. just me (scout) and a friend (thief) vs a small group or 2vs2. Can't wait when the SBEMU is going live.

best time in SB on my scout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpaisXg4k7w)

akrippler
07-26-2010, 15:14

Examples include:

My first day in some super badass mage was gonna take me to a dungeon to kill mobs and he gave me a potion to "make me stronger"

How many fucking cartoon do I have to watch before I realize that green potion = poison.

Elmi
07-26-2010, 16:35
My first day in some super badass mage was gonna take me to a dungeon to kill mobs and he gave me a potion to "make me stronger"

How many fucking cartoon do I have to watch before I realize that green potion = poison.

lol
that's hilarious

Tenebrion
07-26-2010, 17:24

I did something similar to that once : there was some guy who was near dead east of Britain, and he ran up to me, typing in all caps, "QUICK, HELP!!". Thinking quickly, I handed him a purple potion, and typed, "Drink this!"

Well, purple potions in UO were explosive potions. The potion exploded, and dealt enough damage to kill him on the spot. I then looted his body, and continued on my way.

Falokis
07-26-2010, 19:42
UO was the best overall. Now, it's just too dated. PvP wasn't as exciting as DF, but it was still very fun and skill based. As others have said, PvP wasn't a huge deal because gear was much easier to come by. Some people say that UO was the harshest world, but I don't agree. DF is way harsher. Gear is a tougher grind and alignment means nothing. In UO the system worked well enough you had an idea who was most likely going to help or kill you. There was basic good vs red battle lines drawn. DF is just a FFA cluster fuck.

SB had a much, much better siege system, but it only really started to shine near the end of the game. Once the spires were added, the sieges really became fun. It was a harsh game because you really could have your city burnt to the ground and you couldn't bind at a NPC town after level 30. That was the harshest part of SB. If you lost your city, you didn't really have anywhere to go if you were high level. On the flip side though, you had n00b island to keep you safe until you had an idea how to play the game. The biggest positives for SB were the siege system and the fact that you could place your city any where you wanted and build it any way you wanted.

DF's combat is the most fun. That is pretty much the only thing that is better in DF. The grind is improved, but still too much. Acquiring raw materials for gear or anything is horrible. Getting materials should be much easier, that would encourage more PvP, imo. Sieges in DF are slowly getting patched to become more like SB. People have been asking for SB like sieges since beta, but the Devs here are slow learners. I hated n00b island in SB, but DF's lack of working alignment encourages shitting on n00bies.

Tenebrion
07-26-2010, 19:45
Another thing I liked about both Ultima Online and Shadowbane, when compared to Darkfall, is that you had a hell of a lot more variety in terms of how you could build your character.

With Ultima Online, you had skill templates to play around with. I myself, as an example, played a Quarterstaff-wielding fighter-thief, as well as an Assassin-Mage, and, last, a lumberjack, archer, animal tamer (who later switched to a scribe, mage, animal tamer).

In Shadowbane, there were tons of different ways that you could have built your character - Mage assassins, as an example, played drastically different from Rogue assassins ; Irekei Assassins played very different than Shade assassins, and furthermore, the way you chose to allocate your points even further distinguished you (so one Irekei Mage Assassin could have focused a bit more heavily on Direct Damage and DoTs, whereas the other could have focused a bit more on utility, crowd control, and debuffs, to name but two variations).

The best part of both games was spending time mapping out my new characters, figuring out new ways to play that no other players have tried, and then building the character to see whether or not it works as well in practice as it does on paper (while tweaking the build along the way).

God damnit I miss UO and Shadowbane.

StrawberryClock
07-26-2010, 20:27
I've played Shadowbane for a bit, and took a hiatus for a few years and then started up again. The first time I wasn't too use to MMOs, but then about two years later and a few MMOs later you get to really appreciate it.

Then it closed down. :(

I'm not sure why there aren't alot more MMOs that follow the same paradigm of Shadowbane with its emphasis on PvP and politics.

Jedicake
07-26-2010, 20:35
This thread is sexy

akrippler
07-26-2010, 20:56
lol
that's hilarious

I did something similar to that once : there was some guy who was near dead east of Britain, and he ran up to me, typing in all caps, "QUICK, HELP!!". Thinking quickly, I handed him a purple potion, and typed, "Drink this!"

Well, purple potions in UO were explosive potions. The potion exploded, and dealt enough damage to kill him on the spot. I then looted his body, and continued on my way.

It worked out well in the end though.

I found him later that day and started telling him how hard I was gonna own him. We were about to walk outside n duel then he spawned a fire elemental and I shit my pants a little bit before I ran away.

Later on he found out that I had lost my "young" status only a few hours before he griefed me so he felt bad gave me a ton of shit and we ended up becoming friends and played UO together every day for a solid 6+ months.

Still wish I could find that guy to this day His name was "Bahumat III" if I remember correctly.

Isn't there a website somewhere where people make a profile and put all of the handles they have ever used in it so old friends can find eachother?

kil_2k
07-26-2010, 21:05
best time in SB on my scout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpaisXg4k7w)

Pissing around with my SD Scout just before Test was wiped in March 08 (http://tsccc.com/Xanthers1.avi). Massive FFA at Xanthers city. He set every building on fire and started taking his own tree down with a siege bow. You can see me backstab him at one point :D

Falokis
07-26-2010, 22:21
It will be hard for people to appreciate the SB videos if they never played. Those that have, here is one of the most enjoyable sieges for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnhyxNM5sd4&feature=related

WTF? Youtube deleted the sound track. Here is a link with sound, it makes it better......

http://www.virakar.com/vids/Kill%20Bird%20Vol.%201.wmv

Eisenhower-TP
07-27-2010, 01:45
What a bunch of nub pizza :lmao:. I hope you people are talking about classic Ultima Online as being bad ass because EA Games sure fked the game hard from AoS to date. If you are thinking about playing pay to play Ultima Online.... stop!!!!, go play World of Warcraft, It's less item based / gear based and takes much more PvP skill than EA Games UO. There are some good classic UO free player run shards.

As for Shadowbane... I really liked how the game had you depend on being a guild and working as a team to win. Shadowbane kind of sucked after they removed the /tar targeting hot key, It was cool being a group of 5 people chewing through a full group of 10 or more with good target calling skills. Shadowbane PvP without the /tar reminds me of a room full of tards all trying to make love to a door knob. Removal of /tar changed the game play a ton, everyone just rolling AoE toons... lame.

Carnagel
07-27-2010, 03:22
As for Shadowbane... I really liked how the game had you depend on being a guild and working as a team to win. Shadowbane kind of sucked after they removed the /tar targeting hot key, It was cool being a group of 5 people chewing through a full group of 10 or more with good target calling skills. Shadowbane PvP without the /tar reminds me of a room full of tards all trying to make love to a door knob. Removal of /tar changed the game play a ton, everyone just rolling AoE toons... lame.

Actually the removal of /tar just made it harder for Bads (like you) to focus fire, yet still allowed the good players and teams to call targets, it just required it bit more actual player skill to co-ordinate

AoE toons were just as common from day 1 till the end, all the removal of /tar did was make the Bads (you again..) roll an AoE in order to try and compete

Jedicake
07-27-2010, 03:37
Awesome

holy shit January 2002, you rock

Nevron
07-27-2010, 03:45
Shadowbane was my first MMO and I loved it. I'm forever on a journey to find another MMO with open world PvP and city sieging that gives me the feeling that game did. A real sense of risk and accomplishment, on both a small scale and large scale, with real player driven politics.

Tenebrion
07-27-2010, 04:17
Actually the removal of /tar just made it harder for Bads (like you) to focus fire, yet still allowed the good players and teams to call targets, it just required it bit more actual player skill to co-ordinate

AoE toons were just as common from day 1 till the end, all the removal of /tar did was make the Bads (you again..) roll an AoE in order to try and compete

I agree that the removal of /tar was great for the game.

Gloomrender
07-27-2010, 05:12
I disagree. It largely removed focus firing itself from the game, and replaced it proportionally with less skilled and less strategic combat. It dumbed combat down. I hope they keep /tar in SBemu.

Anyhow, anyone remember summon fishing?

Give an enemy a tell saying "Summon to XP group", or if there's a raid "Summon to raid party", and summon them in to their deaths. :D

On slow action days I would just sit there trying to summon in gullible nubs every 5 minutes. I even made some decent gold sometimes from it. Good times.

scubatim84
07-27-2010, 05:51
Man, you guys are really making me miss UO. I remember when I griefed and PKed the hell out of people. Did everything from slaughtering Trammelites when they decided to gate over and check out "the old world" to more creative methods. I remember being so pissed when UO:R came out, since it basically was the death of PKing since the little bastards could just hide in the new land.

To voice my protest, I would go to the Trammel version of Deceit (I think that was the dungeon anyway) where there was a certain poison elemental that spawned in the lower levels. Well, people who played UO probably know where this is heading, but basically in a nutshell the poison elemental would kill you once it touched you because its poison was so strong. I liked to get the poison ele to aggro on me and lead it with invisibility pre-casted towards a Trammelite fighting in the dungeon and then invis myself. I have to tell you it was /hilarious/ watching them freak out and die. In Trammel, you couldn't loot the bodies of course, but I was more interested in killing them anyway than whatever newbie garbage they probably had on.

The most famous thing I can think of that me and 3 or 4 other PK friends of mine did was we dressed like newbie Trammelites and went to a big city in Trammel, can't remember the name of the town because that was over a decade ago, but we got a Trammel guild to let us join. Now, in UO, you could attack fellow guild mates and you could even loot them. So in effect, by joining a Trammel guild, we circumvented the no-PK land thing. We went to their tower and pretended to duel on their roof top with half a dozen of them. When we decided it was time, after the leader went to get his really expensive sword to duel me, we all attacked everyone and killed them within seconds. They had given us access to part of the tower so we had 2 people go downstairs and keep killing the newly res-ed guild members as they tried to get near to the tower and ban us to kick us out of it so we wouldn't take their shit. In the end, we emptied a floor of the tower, I took the guild leader's sword and sold it back to him for 250K gold (it was worth maybe half that at most) and we laughed in their faces as we sold their shit back to them for 500% markup or more.

Granted, I spent several hours in the UO jail for that, but it was worthit and the counselor (UO's version of an in-game customer service rep) conceded that I didn't do anything illegal and let me go. Best fucking day of my life, as far as gaming is considered.

StrawberryClock
07-27-2010, 06:17
Man, you guys are really making me miss UO. I remember when I griefed and PKed the hell out of people. Did everything from slaughtering Trammelites when they decided to gate over and check out "the old world" to more creative methods. I remember being so pissed when UO:R came out, since it basically was the death of PKing since the little bastards could just hide in the new land.

To voice my protest, I would go to the Trammel version of Deceit (I think that was the dungeon anyway) where there was a certain poison elemental that spawned in the lower levels. Well, people who played UO probably know where this is heading, but basically in a nutshell the poison elemental would kill you once it touched you because its poison was so strong. I liked to get the poison ele to aggro on me and lead it with invisibility pre-casted towards a Trammelite fighting in the dungeon and then invis myself. I have to tell you it was /hilarious/ watching them freak out and die. In Trammel, you couldn't loot the bodies of course, but I was more interested in killing them anyway than whatever newbie garbage they probably had on.

The most famous thing I can think of that me and 3 or 4 other PK friends of mine did was we dressed like newbie Trammelites and went to a big city in Trammel, can't remember the name of the town because that was over a decade ago, but we got a Trammel guild to let us join. Now, in UO, you could attack fellow guild mates and you could even loot them. So in effect, by joining a Trammel guild, we circumvented the no-PK land thing. We went to their tower and pretended to duel on their roof top with half a dozen of them. When we decided it was time, after the leader went to get his really expensive sword to duel me, we all attacked everyone and killed them within seconds. They had given us access to part of the tower so we had 2 people go downstairs and keep killing the newly res-ed guild members as they tried to get near to the tower and ban us to kick us out of it so we wouldn't take their shit. In the end, we emptied a floor of the tower, I took the guild leader's sword and sold it back to him for 250K gold (it was worth maybe half that at most) and we laughed in their faces as we sold their shit back to them for 500% markup or more.

Granted, I spent several hours in the UO jail for that, but it was worthit and the counselor (UO's version of an in-game customer service rep) conceded that I didn't do anything illegal and let me go. Best fucking day of my life, as far as gaming is considered.

Wow, UO sounded amazing. Why hasn't these situations EVER happened in any MMO so far today? I am disappoint. (http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/d6/Soniamdissapointreal.gif)

Don Chino
07-27-2010, 08:18
What a bunch of nub pizza :lmao:. I hope you people are talking about classic Ultima Online as being bad ass because EA Games sure fked the game hard from AoS to date. If you are thinking about playing pay to play Ultima Online.... stop!!!!, go play World of Warcraft, It's less item based / gear based and takes much more PvP skill than EA Games UO. There are some good classic UO free player run shards.

Read the thread, its obvious people are talking about Classic UO.

-

I sent somone from my TFC Clan Ultima Online in the post as it was so fun, on like our second day of playing together we saw somone riding a black horse, I'd never seen one before, when we started talking to the guy about his black horse he offered us a house if we could kill it, we decided it should be easy enough as we'd killed lots of horses in our time, so we both attacked the guys horse which then proceeded to seriously fuck us up. It was a "nightmare" like a magic horse which is not too much weaker then a dragon :P
Ofc he looted us dry, called us nubs but man it was so much fun.

Reckun
07-27-2010, 08:54
Wow, UO sounded amazing. Why hasn't these situations EVER happened in any MMO so far today? I am disappoint. (http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/d6/Soniamdissapointreal.gif)

because mainstream companies only look to make a profit so they target the more casual mmo crowd. Thus leaving people like us high and dry. The indie guys suck at making these kinda games unfortunately.

Ruinous
07-27-2010, 14:33
Surprised no Dark Tiders have chimed in. AC certainly ranks up there as a classic pvp mmo.

I played UO back when I paid for my internet by the minute. A £1k+ quarterly phone bill was hardcore :ohno:

Elmi
07-27-2010, 15:23
It largely removed focus firing itself from the game, and replaced it proportionally with less skilled and less strategic combat. It dumbed combat down. I hope they keep /tar in SBemu.

I disagree.
I remember numerous sieges where i barely looked at screen and was just listening to vent, typing /tar and pressing nuke hotkeys.

/tar NAME1_HERE
press 1
press 2
press 3

/tar NAME2_HERE
press 1
press 2
press 3

/tar NAME3_HERE
etc etc

Lame and boring.
Removing /tar and blue dots made game much better and skill requiring.
I think Ashen Temper is the best game designed i've ever seen in mmorpgs.

Eisenhower-TP
07-28-2010, 03:31
I hope they keep /tar in SBemu.

It was brought up on the forums and the people running SBemu said /tar will not be in the game along with no blue dots.

I disagree.
I remember numerous sieges where i barely looked at screen and was just listening to vent, typing /tar and pressing nuke hotkeys.

/tar NAME1_HERE
press 1
press 2
press 3

/tar NAME2_HERE
press 1
press 2
press 3

/tar NAME3_HERE
etc etc

Lame and boring.
Removing /tar and blue dots made game much better and skill requiring.
I think Ashen Temper is the best game designed i've ever seen in mmorpgs.

Not really, It was a damn card shuffle to get a target after /tar was removed. I felt like the removal of /tar was to help those non-factor guilds along in PvP. We know that there were some great PvP guild thats used /tar and there were a shit load of guilds/people that did not stand a chance, even with very large numbers. There were so many guilds/people in Shadowbane that had no organization and crap leadership.

Elmi
07-28-2010, 07:11
Not really, It was a damn card shuffle to get a target after /tar was removed. I felt like the removal of /tar was to help those non-factor guilds along in PvP. We know that there were some great PvP guild thats used /tar and there were a shit load of guilds/people that did not stand a chance, even with very large numbers. There were so many guilds/people in Shadowbane that had no organization and crap leadership.

It's true, but is it really that fun, to be just organized lemming and proceed your /tar-nuke-/tar-nuke routine over and over?

And after /tar removal, non-factors remained non-factors btw.

Shrang
07-28-2010, 08:07
. Whether I was out pvp'ing or getting materials in UO or hunting down a rare piece of gear, or sieging, it mostly felt like it was time well spent and good fun in the bargain

This, UO for one had a much more flexible engine than df so they were able to add tons of content and attracted players from all spectrums. This meant that there was no single "goal" to push towards and that you could find players interacting in every imaginable way. Also the competitive mmo community was not as predominant at the time so a lot of the pressure was different.

PirateGlen
07-28-2010, 08:20
I disagree. It largely removed focus firing itself from the game, and replaced it proportionally with less skilled and less strategic combat. It dumbed combat down. I hope they keep /tar in SBemu.

Anyhow, anyone remember summon fishing?

Give an enemy a tell saying "Summon to XP group", or if there's a raid "Summon to raid party", and summon them in to their deaths. :D

On slow action days I would just sit there trying to summon in gullible nubs every 5 minutes. I even made some decent gold sometimes from it. Good times.

I ran into that once except instead I chained in 30 and wrecked them.