PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: Quad Core Processor Necessary? + Comp Build

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 21:17
Will a dual core processor be good enough for medium-high quality gaming, or do I need to buy a quad core?

Here's my build btw:

System Configuration :

Intel i5/i7 CPU : Intel Pentium G6950 2.8GHz (Dual Core) 3000K

Intel i5 / i7 CPU Fans : Coolit ECO A.L.C, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System

Intel i5 / i7 Motherboards : ASUS P7P55 LX DDR3, Cross Fire, GB LAN, iEEE

DDR3 Dual Channel memory : 8GB (4x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

PCI-Express Video cards : ATI CrossFire Radeon HD 4670 1GB x2 PCI Express 16x, HDMI (2 cards)

Hard Drives : 500.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300 16m cache

Sound Cards : Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Network Cards : Realtek 10/100/1000 Ethernet Network card PCI

Cases : PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB
Power Supply : Thermaltake TRX 1000W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready
Operating Systems : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD

Napalm_Enema
07-21-2010, 21:19
Current games / older games you were better served by a quad core.

Newer games / the future? Seems like quad core is becoming more prevelant for a development platform.

That being said, I have a dual core machine setup which still plays everything great. It's DDR3 based system and hasn't had any problems even with games like BC2 which was optimized for quad core systems.

I'd probably go Quad core if I were you, that's where things are headed.

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 21:44
Current games / older games you were better served by a quad core.

Newer games / the future? Seems like quad core is becoming more prevelant for a development platform.

That being said, I have a dual core machine setup which still plays everything great. It's DDR3 based system and hasn't had any problems even with games like BC2 which was optimized for quad core systems.

I'd probably go Quad core if I were you, that's where things are headed.

Can I get by for like 5 years without needing quad core?

Napalm_Enema
07-21-2010, 22:00

Probably, and if you get a dual core now, chances are your motherboard will support a quad core...

Makestro
07-21-2010, 22:03
I love my quad core, if you have the money get one. The AMD processors are a lot cheaper but still are really good if you're willing to go with AMD over Intel

[LoD] EE
07-21-2010, 22:03

Probably, and if you get a dual core now, chances are your motherboard will support a quad core...

Why waste your money on a dual core when quads are so cheap? The current tech is 6 core CPU's now, get a quad, get it done and you dont have to upgrade against for a short while. 5 years? doubtful, not if you are serious into gaming. Go quad and be done, better to buy one time and spend a little than buy twice and spend extra.

[LoD] EE
07-21-2010, 22:23
I love my quad core, if you have the money get one. The AMD processors are a lot cheaper but still are really good if you're willing to go with AMD over Intel

I am running a AMD65 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz per core on air. I think I paid $150 shipped for the CPU from New Egg.

Makestro
07-21-2010, 22:41
EE;4403412']I am running a AMD65 Black Edition @ 3.8ghz per core on air. I think I paid $150 shipped for the CPU from New Egg.

yeah I have a 965 also, was 180-190 I think but just came out when I bought it, runs great.

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 22:41
Going AMD over intel was a good suggestion. Apparently I can get a quad core over a dual core and pay like 100 bucks less too.

sc0r0wnz
07-21-2010, 22:43
Going AMD over intel was a good suggestion. Apparently I can get a quad core over a dual core and pay like 100 bucks less too.

Overclocking is more the thing for nVidia tough ;)

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 22:50
Another question...do I need a hard drive fan? Will it just be noisy?

Makestro
07-21-2010, 22:52

Mine is 600gbs and I have no fan on it.

EDIT: well my case has fans on the front so I guess I do actually.

Baralis
07-21-2010, 22:52

AMDs are great gaming CPUs. I plan to get a 955 BE for my next build. The 965 is basicly a 955 with factory OC. You can save $30 by getting the 955 and Ocing it yourself.

Also check benchmarks on the 955 vs intel in gaming. Most (even lower end i7s) are pretty close. With todays games the demand is on the GPU and a 955 can carry any GPU on the market. So no need to spend 1K on a gaming CPU.

Baralis
07-21-2010, 22:54

Depends on your case. If you have a quality case that has good airflow and fans to keep the air moving then no you need no special fan for your HDs.

Makestro
07-21-2010, 23:05

This is the case I got

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=antec_900-_-11-129-021-_-Product

I like it minus the huge fan on top, what is awesome for airflow, but I'm always worried someday my dog will knock something over and it'll magically land on that spot and ruin my computer lol.

Napalm_Enema
07-21-2010, 23:15

It'll also last half as long.

See you in three years when you need a new board / processor. :ohno:

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 23:19

Meh. I won't be overclocking it or anything? It will really last half as long or are you exaggerating?

pZombie
07-21-2010, 23:27

Not if you stay within specifications and cool it properly.
MY e7200 which runs 2.53ghz standard has now been overclocked to 3.7ghz since over 6 years and runs still. Same goes for my 8800gt which runs 10% higher than standard.
I made certain however, the cooling is appropriate and my CPU never gets too hot.

Kay Rica
07-21-2010, 23:32
You don't need 8gb of ram. Get 6, that will save you 65 dollars. Also, you're gimping yourself with that graphics card. At least go for a 5750...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=radeon+5750

Also absolutely 100% buy a quad core. I'd recommend the 920, which you can get for $200, but if you want something a bit cheaper I'm sure the AMD will do just fine.

pZombie
07-21-2010, 23:35
Check this

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=253097

and don't listen too much to AMD fanbois. They just want you to share their own misery for making the mistake to go with AMD rather with intel when it comes to gaming and about anything else.

either get a i7-930 machine, or a i3-530 build if you want it cheap.

the last option, being the i3-530 combined with the gtx 460 is dx11 capable and plenty powerful to run any game out now at high frames. For $565 after rebates you got a hyper fast PC with DX 11 functionality.
the i3-530 overclocks to 4ghz easy if you later want some more power out of it.

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 23:40
You don't need 8gb of ram. Get 6, that will save you 65 dollars. Also, you're gimping yourself with that graphics card. At least go for a 5750...

You do realize that It's 2 graphics cards and not just one of them?

pZombie
07-21-2010, 23:43

you realize that those graphic cards are not DX11 capable? You asked for 5 years. What if within those 5 years a game comes out requiring DX11?

also, the gtx 460 beats both your cards in crossfire mode

Gloomrender
07-21-2010, 23:49
you realize that those graphic cards are not DX11 capable? You asked for 5 years. What if within those 5 years a game comes out requiring DX11?

Hmm. Didn't notice this.

Is it very likely that DX11 games will come out within 5 years?

Syphus
07-21-2010, 23:49
my 6600 2.4 which i bought in march of 2007 I keep clocked between 3.1 and 3.4 on air runs fine. Playing bfbc2 fine no problems.

Two opinions on your system, if your not someone with a tiny room get a full tower. It is so much more convenient then a mid tower and allows for a better cooling setup. Sure you'll shell out a few more bucks but its worth it.

Also if you are going to overclock pay close attention to the chipsets. For instance when I bought my 6600 I made sure to get the E chipset as that seemed to have the most reliable/highest results when overclocking.

pZombie
07-21-2010, 23:56
Hmm. Didn't notice this.

Is it very likely that DX11 games will come out within 5 years?

No, it s not very likely we will see DX11 only games within the next 5 years. More likely is, we will see games supporting both, DX10 and 11.

However, it is POSSIBLE there will be one or two games being DX11 only, and then you will be pissed not being able to play those.

Makestro
07-22-2010, 00:01
Check this

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=253097

and don't listen too much to AMD fanbois. They just want you to share their own misery for making the mistake to go with AMD rather with intel when it comes to gaming and about anything else.

either get a i7-930 machine, or a i3-530 build if you want it cheap.

the last option, being the i3-530 combined with the gtx 460 is dx11 capable and plenty powerful to run any game out now at high frames. For $565 after rebates you got a hyper fast PC with DX 11 functionality.
the i3-530 overclocks to 4ghz easy if you later want some more power out of it.

My computer runs DF fine even with my shitty graphics card, I have no idea what you're blabbing about. DF doesn't even benefit from multicore processors so I have no idea what you're yammering on about anyways. Ya an i7 will run DF better than an AMD quad, but it costs 4 times more. You can buy a beast graphics card instead.

AMD isn't even that bad, if you take care of your PC and aren't a total lazy slob it'll run for a long time. They run cooler than Intel, are cheaper, more easy to overclock without heating issues, and don't preform much below it. The price alone makes it better.

With that said you have some good Intel builds in the thread linked and if gloom prefers intel over amd he should look into them.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 00:16
My computer runs DF fine even with my shitty graphics card, I have no idea what you're blabbing about. DF doesn't even benefit from multicore processors so I have no idea what you're yammering on about anyways. Ya an i7 will run DF better than an AMD quad, but it costs 4 times more. You can buy a beast graphics card instead.

AMD isn't even that bad, if you take care of your PC and aren't a total lazy slob it'll run for a long time. They run cooler than Intel, are cheaper, more easy to overclock without heating issues, and don't preform much below it. The price alone makes it better.

With that said you have some good Intel builds in the thread linked and if gloom prefers intel over amd he should look into them.

AMD is easier to overclock than intel? that alone disqualified you.

90% of intel CPUs overclock 40-50% up from their standard. 90% of AMD CPUs overclock UNDER 15% if at all. The AMD CPUs are already pushed hard to their limits.

the i7-930 overclocks from 2.8ghz to 3.6ghz with just the boxed cooler. 4-4.2ghz if you use a h50 corsair or better (the best being the noctua d14 at the cost of being hard to install and taking all your case space)
IN some cases the i7-930 will go even higher.

The i3-530 is stock 2.93ghz and goes 3.6 to 4ghz on the stock cooler. 4.5ghz if you use a h50 or better.

Not only do intels clock higher, but they also deliver more power per clock.

Makestro
07-22-2010, 00:24
AMD is easier to overclock than intel? that alone disqualified you.

90% of intel CPUs overclock 40-50% up from their standard. 90% of AMD CPUs overclock UNDER 15% if at all. The AMD CPUs are already pushed hard to their limits.

the i7-930 overclocks from 2.8ghz to 3.6ghz with just the boxed cooler. 4-4.2ghz if you use a h50 corsair or better (the best being the noctua d14 at the cost of being hard to install and taking all your case space)
IN some cases the i7-930 will go even higher.

The i3-530 is stock 2.93ghz and goes 3.6 to 4ghz on the stock cooler. 4.5ghz if you use a h50 or better.

Not only do intels clock higher, but they also deliver more power per clock.

And my AMD 965 at $180 is 3.4 out the box I could probably get it to 3.8 without any changes to my current system. Thing is I don't need to OC it, it runs shit fine at 3.4.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 00:37
Only thing I'm still debating with myself is the video card/s.

Can I expect my PC to last over 5 years anyway? Shouldn't it be time to buy a whole new PC in 5 years? Or should I buy that 100 dollar more vid card to try and have it last a few more years? It seems like I'm wasting my money on that hope if I need to buy a whole new PC in 6 years anyway.

Baralis
07-22-2010, 00:54

Can I expect my PC to last over 5 years anyway? Shouldn't it be time to buy a whole new PC in 5 years? Or should I buy that 100 dollar more vid card to try and have it last a few more years? It seems like I'm wasting my money on that hope if I need to buy a whole new PC in 6 years anyway.

One option to prolong a system is to buy a great GPU now and SLI/Crossfire a second later. I doubt that it will match a single new GPU 5 years from now but it may be perfectly playable in 5 years.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 01:04

The question is not what you pay more on the video card, but what the total of the system is.

How much is the total of the system you built vs this here?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5470/gtx460.png

This being way better than what you linked. The gtx 460, being more efficient yet more than twice as fast as the 4670, allows for a smaller sized PSU.

The i3-530 is GUARANTEED to run at 4ghz. You might have to add a bit larger heatsink (might even do on the stock one).
At 4ghz it is as fast as an AMD 940 quad in cinebench.

But really, compare the complete system cost and not the parts of the system. That s not the right way to look at it.

Kay Rica
07-22-2010, 01:48
You're hung up on this 5 year thing. Let me put it in perspective for you.

I don't think there's a single computer out there that is 5 years old and can even run Darkfall remotely stable. Unless you spent like 3-4k on the computer....

Core 2 wasn't even out 5 years ago. It wasn't out till later in 2006.

So, in short, no. Don't expect to be able to play new games on a 5 year old computer unless you enjoy slideshows.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 01:57
You're hung up on this 5 year thing. Let me put it in perspective for you.

I don't think there's a single computer out there that is 5 years old and can even run Darkfall remotely stable. Unless you spent like 3-4k on the computer....

Core 2 wasn't even out 5 years ago. It wasn't out till later in 2006.

So, in short, no. Don't expect to be able to play new games on a 5 year old computer unless you enjoy slideshows.

Ok, so I should just buy the DX10 only vid cards and not even worry about it?

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 02:01
Btw just how big a of power supply do I need with my setup? Do I really need 1000W or will something like 650W do?

Nevron
07-22-2010, 02:02
Ok, so I should just buy the DX10 only vid cards and not even worry about it?

Take his post with a grain of salt. The upgrades in that span of a couple of years were pretty significant. At the current rate, high-end computers built in 2006-2007 will be able to run games fairly well in two years.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 02:07
Gah. Now I'm all confused.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 02:08
Btw just how big a of power supply do I need with my setup? Do I really need 1000W or will something like 650W do?

Even 650w is overkill for those cards. They consume only 60w at full load. A good quality 500w supply would suffice. Heck, i am pretty sure, if the PSU is of good quality, even 450w would be more than enough for those cards.

Nevron
07-22-2010, 02:14
Gah. Now I'm all confused.

In other words, just do what you were doing and keep rollin' with your five year plan.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 02:23

there you go

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4600/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4600-system-requirements.aspx

i think 550w they recommend is overkill. it makes completely no sense. maybe if you use a quad core and overclock everything it would require 550w.

ZeroCool
07-22-2010, 02:34
For newer and some current games. Yes a quad core processor is pretty much necessary.

And also from everything ive read DDR3 is pretty much no better than DDR2. It has a much higher price and higher timings, its just not worth it atm.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 02:42
For newer and some current games. Yes a quad core processor is pretty much necessary.

And also from everything ive read DDR3 is pretty much no better than DDR2. It has a much higher price and higher timings, its just not worth it atm.

Could I get away with half as much DDR3 then? Like go from 8 to 4 and still be able to run shit like BC2?

pZombie
07-22-2010, 02:56
Could I get away with half as much DDR3 then? Like go from 8 to 4 and still be able to run shit like BC2?

Tell us your budget and what kind of hardware you already own/can reuse in the next build. This should people allow you to build the perfect system for the budget you have.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 02:59
Tell us your budget and what kind of hardware you already own/can reuse in the next build. This should people allow you to build the perfect system for the budget you have.

My budget is 900-1k. I can reuse like no hardware from my current computer, It's all super outdated.

But yeah could I get away with 4 GB DDR3 and still run medium-high settings?

ZeroCool
07-22-2010, 04:03

Absolutely. Games like BC2 are more video card and processor intensive. More ram is better if you wana run a shit ton of processes at the same time and keep up the performance.

If your a gamer 4 gigs is plenty.

Tzacharu
07-22-2010, 04:38
My budget is 900-1k. I can reuse like no hardware from my current computer, It's all super outdated.

4 gigs is plenty. I run BC2 fine with 4 gigs, I've never seen a game use all of my RAM, even Crysis comes 500MB short.

Quad core is definite, especially if you want your system to last. Don't worry too much about having to buy a new one. The next time around, you won't have to replace your monitor, case, hard drive, power supply and if you choose wisely, maybe even your motherboard. That's most of your parts.

I recently built my brother a 840 dollar PC with the following specs:

HD 4870
4 gigs DDR3 RAM
AMD Athlon Propus Quad core @ 2.9 GHz
1TB hard drive
MSI 770 G45 motherboard
650 W power supply
Antec 900
ASUS Widescreen monitor (16:9 aspect ratio)

I expect this build to last, in its entirety, 3 years without replacing any parts, and I'm hoping it'll still be able to play games like it does today without any problems, on medium-high.

If you are not getting a monitor, I would recommend something like the HD Radeon 5830/4890, if you have enough money left. Otherwise, I highly recommend the 4870. It's a great card even though it's almost two years old. The only problem with it is it runs kind of hot, but not hot enough to warrant buying a fan for it. I've run it fine in my system for close to two years without a hitch.

Also, using the stock CPU fan will do as long as you don't OC, but still make sure you keep a monitor like SpeedFan to make sure the temperatures don't exceed normal. Otherwise, I'd get a non-stock fan right away.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 05:49
My new specs:

AMD 64 CPU AM3 : AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz (Quad Core)
AMD 64 CPU Fans : Coolit ECO A.L.C, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System
AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards : ASRock M3A770DE, AMD 777, Cross Fire, GB Lan
DDR3 Dual Channel memory : 4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
PCI-Express Video cards : ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI Express
Hard Drives : 500.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300
DVD Recorders : Lite On 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Cases : Cooler Master Elite 310 black, Side Window, front USB
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR2 650W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply

New video card (plus AMD proc). Is the vid card good enough? Good card?

This package would cost about 1k. I figure It's worth it since I'm getting the OS and everything else with it, although I'm sure it'd be maybe 100+ bucks cheaper if I could build it myself, which I can't be arsed to do.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 05:53
My new specs:

AMD 64 CPU AM3 : AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz (Quad Core)
AMD 64 CPU Fans : Coolit ECO A.L.C, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System
AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards : ASRock M3A770DE, AMD 777, Cross Fire, GB Lan
DDR3 Dual Channel memory : 4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
Hard Drives : 500.0GB Western Digital 7200RPM SATA2 UDMA 300
DVD Recorders : Lite On 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Cases : Cooler Master Elite 310 black, Side Window, front USB
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR2 650W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply

New video card. Is it good enough?

This package would cost about 1k. I figure It's worth it since I'm getting the OS and everything else with it, although I'm sure it'd be maybe 100+ bucks cheaper if I could build it myself, which I can't be arsed to do.

For $1k you can have a i7-930 kickass system which will last you 10 years

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 05:56
For $1k you can have a i7-930 kickass system which will last you 10 years

lol 10 years? Not exaggerating are we?

pZombie
07-22-2010, 06:26
lol 10 years? Not exaggerating are we?

Well, i build my system 2006 , a e7200 clocked to 3.7ghz and a 8800gt 512 mb clocked 15% higher, along with my ram being 10% higher. The motherboard pcie running at 130mhz instead of 100.

This system plays anything i throw at it still, and will do so for the next 3-4 years still. It cost very little even back then.

Anyway, here is what I would suggest

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/830/gtx460i7930.png

after the rebates you are below $1k

but you will have to build it yourself...

the 600w OCZ PSU got pretty good ratings on newegg and should be capable of doing SLI with two gtx 460 768mb version. So later you can add one more and reach 20% higher perfomance than a single gtx 480 would do.
But it is not necessary for a long time. This card can handle anything you throw at it.

i think 10 years is possible with this, because later if you put a big heatsink on the i7-930, you can overclock it up to 4.5ghz (noctua d14 is currently the king but i prefer the corsair h50 because it does not fill the case up).

pZombie
07-22-2010, 07:24
OR this here

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/830/gtx460i7930.png

almost the same cost, but you get the free 8gb usb stick which is grat imo if you don t have one already, and the faster ram.

you however lose the evga which is therefore better, because evga offers lifetime warranty. otherwise, gigabyte is just as fast/good.

88Chaz88
07-22-2010, 07:29
Overclocking is more the thing for nVidia tough ;)

Because nVidia make really good CPU's right...

88Chaz88
07-22-2010, 07:32
Well, i build my system 2006 , a e7200 clocked to 3.7ghz and a 8800gt 512 mb clocked 15% higher, along with my ram being 10% higher. The motherboard pcie running at 130mhz instead of 100.

This system plays anything i throw at it still, and will do so for the next 3-4 years still. It cost very little even back then.

Anyway, here is what I would suggest

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/830/gtx460i7930.png

after the rebates you are below $1k

but you will have to build it yourself...

the 600w OCZ PSU got pretty good ratings on newegg and should be capable of doing SLI with two gtx 460 768mb version. So later you can add one more and reach 20% higher perfomance than a single gtx 480 would do.
But it is not necessary for a long time. This card can handle anything you throw at it.

i think 10 years is possible with this, because later if you put a big heatsink on the i7-930, you can overclock it up to 4.5ghz (noctua d14 is currently the king but i prefer the corsair h50 because it does not fill the case up).

If you bought it in 2006, 10 years will bring you to 2016. By then the new console generations will be out and will push technology so far you'd have to upgrade.

It's happened before.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 07:59
If you bought it in 2006, 10 years will bring you to 2016. By then the new console generations will be out and will push technology so far you'd have to upgrade.

It's happened before.

Doesn't matter, i already know i won t have to excuse myself for my prediction, as 2012 the world will end anyway.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 19:29

It's happened before.

In other words, I was right, he's exaggerating by 4-5 years, and my build is OK for 4-5 years?

pZombie
07-22-2010, 19:34
In other words, I was right, he's exaggerating by 4-5 years, and my build is OK for 4-5 years?

Yes, your build is great, i was exaggerating. Go get it while you can.

Napalm_Enema
07-22-2010, 19:35
Meh. I won't be overclocking it or anything? It will really last half as long or are you exaggerating?

I don't overclock anything, and my Intel chips have lasted quite a bit longer than their AMD counterparts.

Buy cheap and fast - AMD

Buy to last - Intel

Napalm_Enema
07-22-2010, 19:37

Sli / Crossfire is fail and won't last for a 'five year' system. Get a single beeft NVidia card and save yourself the pain

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 20:11
Sli / Crossfire is fail and won't last for a 'five year' system. Get a single beeft NVidia card and save yourself the pain

The card is a different card now, did you see my latest build? Although the new card is crossfire capable if I wanted to get another one. And two of this card is better than the 460.

So if I really need to upgrade in 3 years or whatever, I can just buy another 5770 and crossfire them and last 3+ more years.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 20:22
The card is a different card now, did you see my latest build? Although the new card is crossfire capable if I wanted to get another one. And two of this card is better than the 460.

So if I really need to upgrade in 3 years or whatever, I can just buy another 5770 and crossfire them and last 3+ more years.

yes, you are right.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 20:26
yes, you are right.

sarcasm?

pZombie
07-22-2010, 20:27
sarcasm?

No, this is actually a really good setup. You just crossfire and it becomes even better later when you need the power. I would go for it. AMD has some really good offer there it seems.

Napalm_Enema
07-22-2010, 20:28
sarcasm?

Every new game I see come out has to have some 'extra' support for ATi cards... personally, (and I have done this for years) I'd just go with a single stout ATi card, and Intel based architecture for a long lasting dependable system. I built a great rig three years ago that is easily handling things thrown at it today. It's definitely going to last three more years easily.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 20:48
No, this is actually a really good setup. You just crossfire and it becomes even better later when you need the power. I would go for it. AMD has some really good offer there it seems.

more sarcasm?

I'm confused because earlier you said this about AMD
:

Not if you stay within specifications and cool it properly.
MY e7200 which runs 2.53ghz standard has now been overclocked to 3.7ghz since over 6 years and runs still. Same goes for my 8800gt which runs 10% higher than standard.
I made certain however, the cooling is appropriate and my CPU never gets too hot.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 20:54
more sarcasm?

I'm confused because earlier you said this about AMD
:

Nah, this AMD quad is pretty cool, you can even overclock it to 3.4ghz from what i read.
Also, the 5770 lets you use 3 monitors with just 1 card.

Pretty good setup if you ask me.

Also, obviously it was not 6 years as the e7200 came out 2006. It was more like 6 years felt but in reality it was just 4.5 years.

ZeroCool
07-22-2010, 22:21

Nvidia will give you the best bang for your buck. Ive been upgrading/building computers for awhile and ive always had problems with ATI.. Unstable drivers, video glitches, ect.

You could get a solid geforce 200 series for the price of that radeon

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 23:03
Nvidia will give you the best bang for your buck. Ive been upgrading/building computers for awhile and ive always had problems with ATI.. Unstable drivers, video glitches, ect.

You could get a solid geforce 200 series for the price of that radeon

You sure? All the 200 series cards, if I'm looking at them right, seem to cost 80-120 more.

pZombie
07-22-2010, 23:19
You sure? All the 200 series cards, if I'm looking at them right, seem to cost 80-120 more.

the 200 series don t have DX11. only an idiot would buy a gtx 260 over a gtx 460 768mb given how close they are in cost.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 23:43
I'd buy an intel quad core system but the processor alone costs 200-250 dollars more than the AMD. Then if I wanted to go with the gtx 460 that's another 75 dollars more. So it's 1000 vs 1300.

Kay Rica
07-22-2010, 23:50
I'd buy an intel quad core system but the processor alone costs 200-250 dollars more than the AMD. Then if I wanted to go with the gtx 460 that's another 75 dollars more. So it's 1000 vs 1300.

I'd save up and do that; you'll notice much better performance.

Gloomrender
07-22-2010, 23:55
I'd save up and do that; you'll notice much better performance.

*commits hari kari*

I can't decide whether to go for the considerably cheaper and probably good enough system, or the much better more expensive one.

ZeroCool
07-23-2010, 00:01

Im not sure which brand of the Radeon 5770 your looking at. There are the cheaper brands and the more expensive. More expensive brands are generally more reliable, cooler, different core clock, ect. (Buy brands i mean evea, bfg, saphire, diamond, PNY)

I made the mistake of thinking the gtx 400's were mega expensive but forgot computer pats lose %50 value every 6 months. There are some gtx 400 cards a bit more expensive than that radeon, that support DX11. Personally I would go with DDR2 ram instead of DDR3 and take the money you saved a get a better video card. The video card and processor are your best friends with it comes to performance.

You can go with ATI if you want, but from my experience your more prone to driver and graphical issues than going with nvidia.

Gloomrender
07-23-2010, 00:36
How quiet is that Gtx 460 generally?

jonyak
07-23-2010, 00:42
You can go with ATI if you want, but from my experience your more prone to driver and graphical issues than going with nvidia.

I have been building computers and using both ATI and Nvidia cards for almost 20 years and I have never had any of those problems.

in fact the only card I have ever had a problem with was my nvidia 8800GT.

Tenebrion
07-23-2010, 00:43
I have been building computers and using both ATI and Nvidia cards for almost 20 years and I have never had any of those problems.

in fact the only card I have ever had a problem with was my nvidia 8800GT.

The 8800gt was a piece of crap.

pZombie
07-23-2010, 00:48
How quiet is that Gtx 460 generally?

two gtx 460 768 , are faster than a single gtx 480, they consume less power than a single gtx 480, they allow you to run 3 monitors with 3d vision surround using the latest nvidia beta driver, they cost less than a single gtx 480.

only reason to go with a single gtx 480 is you wanting to get two gtx 480 later on, and SLI them.

see here

http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/reviews/reviews/evga-gtx-460-sli-vs-gtx-480/page-5

You d start with something like this

and upgrade your way up to this

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2905/gtx4602i7930.png

then either get a h50 or noctua d14 cooler and push the i7-930 up to 4.5ghz. The noctua will allow to push it more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=noctua%20d14

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&Tpk=h50%20corsair

pZombie
07-23-2010, 00:52
The 8800gt was a piece of crap.

the 8800gt was one of the best graphic cards ever built...

It was built 2006 and can run any recent game still.

Gloomrender
07-23-2010, 01:23
two gtx 460 768 , are faster than a single gtx 480, they consume less power than a single gtx 480, they allow you to run 3 monitors with 3d vision surround using the latest nvidia beta driver, they cost less than a single gtx 480.

only reason to go with a single gtx 480 is you wanting to get two gtx 480 later on, and SLI them.

see here

http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/reviews/reviews/evga-gtx-460-sli-vs-gtx-480/page-5

You d start with something like this

and upgrade your way up to this

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2905/gtx4602i7930.png

then either get a h50 or noctua d14 cooler and push the i7-930 up to 4.5ghz. The noctua will allow to push it more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=noctua%20d14

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&Tpk=h50%20corsair

But are they quiet or make a lot of noise?

pZombie
07-23-2010, 01:43
But are they quiet or make a lot of noise?

The 5770 consumes 110w at max load

The gtx 460 consumes 150w at max load

The 5830 consumes 175w at max load

Given equal good cooling solutions, the noise level of the gtx 460 is that between a 5830 ati and a 5770 ati.

The bigger the heatsink, the more heatpipes, and if made out of copper instead of aluminum, the less the fan has to spin.

Which of the gtx 460 with 768mb offers the best cooling solution, i don t know. I know it is not Palit, because they removed some heatsinks which they had on in cards they gave out to reviewers.

In idle mode, the gtx 460 consumes as much as the 5770 and therefore noise levels here are exactly the same given same cooling solutions.

Jedicake
07-23-2010, 01:43
the 8800gt was one of the best graphic cards ever built...

It was built 2006 and can run any recent game still.

Yeah.

I don't know much about video cards, but I know enough that 8800gt was top of the line

Gloomrender
07-23-2010, 23:47
Anyone happen to know if EVGA is a good brand for the Gtx 460?

Napalm_Enema
07-23-2010, 23:53
Anyone happen to know if EVGA is a good brand for the Gtx 460?

Excellent. Love EVGA cards.

If you're on a budget, I'm running a 260GTX and it has no problems with anything I throw at it... just something to consider.