PDA

View Full Version : Any political activists?

Tenebrion
07-18-2010, 21:58
I know we have a lot of armchair politicians here, but I'm curious ; is anyone on the forums actually going out to do anything in support of the upcoming elections?

And, if so, what?

Personally, I'm working on a small team with CalVoter, helping register Californians to vote (Democrat). So far my group alone has flipped several districts blue, and it looks like we've got a pretty damn solid chance at getting/keeping Schwarzenegger's corporate cronies out of office.

zato`1
07-18-2010, 22:06
no, too busy telling people how im right on the internet

Seriousbisnis
07-18-2010, 22:11
Doubt it, most of OT is full of kids who think they know politics by reading internet articles and browsing forumfall most of their day.

fuck politics, they're boring :ninja:

xpiher
07-18-2010, 22:40
I know we have a lot of armchair politicians here, but I'm curious ; is anyone on the forums actually going out to do anything in support of the upcoming elections?

I live in Indiana, I would go out and support a candidate in the midterm election if there was one here that I could support with time and effort. I have done some moderate political activism in the presidential election, but right now I'm more concerned with trying to get the job I want in the military so I can start paying off debt.

GFH_Spike
07-19-2010, 03:25
Actively supporting a candidate within a political system that one views as hopelessly dysfunctional is senseless.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 03:26
When life gives you lemons, you shut the fuck up and eat your lemons.

Monkeyninja
07-19-2010, 03:30
When life gives you lemons, you shut the fuck up and eat your lemons.
on the other hand..
When god gives you lemons, you find a new god!

palo god
07-19-2010, 04:08
I've been phone banking for Peter Schiff's campaign.

braveliltoaster
07-19-2010, 04:19
i dont even care about voting in national elections, being one of th few democrats in kansas, you dont make much of a dent... or any dent :p

xpiher
07-19-2010, 04:26
i dont even care about voting in national elections, being one of th few democrats in kansas, you dont make much of a dent... or any dent :p

which is why one of the first things that needs to chage voting wise is the removal of the electoral collage.

Good man, good man

Silverhandorder
07-19-2010, 04:29
I canvassed for Ron Paul in 2007 in NYC. Canvassed for Chris Christie in Northern Jersey. Often travel around country. Was in Kentucky this winter campaigning for Rand Paul.

Locally we have this group that stayed together from Ron Paul meetups. It is more like a club now. Most people just do their own shit like me. We have fundraisers sometimes whenever some one from liberty movement is running.

Jedicake
07-19-2010, 04:41
No, I'm just a nerd who sits in the basement all day.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 06:14
on the other hand..
When god gives you lemons, you find a new god!

GOD BERRY! King of the JUICE!!!

Napalm_Enema
07-19-2010, 06:18
Actively supporting a candidate within a political system that one views as hopelessly dysfunctional is senseless.

This

Apex Vertigo
07-19-2010, 06:30
This

Disagree unless you meant to follow it with "is retarded".

It makes no sense to not try to change a system you find dysfunctional and a really effective way of doing that (aside from killing a bunch of people and putting in new people) is voting in people you agree with. So, unless you are actively taking people out of office you find cancerous to society, promoting a candidate is the next best thing you can do. Besides bitch at your computer about how fucked society is, obviously.

As for me, I've been really busy with school but this summer I've made contact with a few political groups on campus that I plan to get involved with as soon as the semester starts which is when they start recruiting again.

Silverhandorder
07-19-2010, 06:34
Disagree unless you meant to follow it with "is retarded".

It makes no sense to not try to change a system you find dysfunctional and a really effective way of doing that (aside from killing a bunch of people and putting in new people) is voting in people you agree with. So, unless you are actively taking people out of office you find cancerous to society, promoting a candidate is the next best thing you can do. Besides bitch at your computer about how fucked society is, obviously.

As for me, I've been really busy with school but this summer I've made contact with a few political groups on campus that I plan to get involved with as soon as the semester starts which is when they start recruiting again.

Liberty movement is growing very fast. The system will come down and these people will be there to resist w/e fucked up shit the mob thinks of.

xpiher
07-19-2010, 06:46
Liberty movement is growing very fast. The system will come down and these people will be there to resist w/e fucked up shit the mob thinks of.

Who's being the elitist now?

Apex Vertigo
07-19-2010, 06:47

I'll give them a look, although I seem to disagree with a large portion of the things you say, I'll investigate it.

xpiher
07-19-2010, 07:00
I'll give them a look, although I seem to disagree with a large portion of the things you say, I'll investigate it.

From what I've read:

Liberty movement is basically the tea party without the bad press... although some of those people, or at least the ones trying to co-op them, are fucking insane bible thumpers as well.

Adolf Stalin
07-19-2010, 07:20
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?264738-0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naxalite-Maoist_insurgency

Methuselah
07-19-2010, 13:47

This made me laugh. Good for you for doing something though.

Ziegler
07-19-2010, 13:59
Personally, I'm working on a small team with CalVoter, helping register Californians to vote (Democrat).

You didnt have to specify democrat...that's redundant, everyone knows they're the only ones too fucking stupid to have paid attention in civis class to know or care enough to vote unless someone else comes to thier house and fills the form out for them. Just ask Mickey Mouse.

Rachsucht
07-19-2010, 14:29
Personally, I'm working on a small team with CalVoter, helping register Californians to vote (Democrat).

If you don't have the ability/drive to register yourself, you have no business voting. What you are doing really pisses me off (and it would too if you were registering rednecks to vote Republican).

Aragoni
07-19-2010, 14:31
I'm an active member and the vice-chairman of the local Moderate Youth League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderate_Youth_League). Working pretty hard with the campaigning and such for the coming election (even though I'm not necessarily a staunch supporter of the Moderate Party. I'm way more Liberal than that.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 18:44
You didnt have to specify democrat...that's redundant, everyone knows they're the only ones too fucking stupid to have paid attention in civis class to know or care enough to vote unless someone else comes to thier house and fills the form out for them. Just ask Mickey Mouse.

Actually, the majority of people I register to vote as Democrat were previously registered as either Republican or some bullshit spin-off party (like the Green party, or American Independant). I'll also add that most of the Republicans I deal with really don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to politics.

More often than not, when I speak with someone who actually knows the names of the candidates, as well as the policies involved, they're already registered to vote Democrat.

Ziegler
07-19-2010, 18:47
Actually, the majority of people I register to vote as Democrat were previously registered as either Republican or some bullshit spin-off party (like the Green party, or American Independant). I'll also add that most of the Republicans I deal with really don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to politics.

More often than not, when I speak with someone who actually knows the names of the candidates, as well as the policies involved, they're already registered to vote Democrat.

*chuckles* That's because any intelligent republican left california 10 years ago.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 18:50
If you don't have the ability/drive to register yourself, you have no business voting. What you are doing really pisses me off (and it would too if you were registering rednecks to vote Republican).

Some people exist to be taken advantage of. Thinking that this is bad will do nothing to change the fact ; and choosing not to use them to your advantage, when people who you believe to be wrong most certainly will, accomplishes nothing but to hinder your cause.

The best you can do is take a bad situation and make the most of it.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 18:52
*chuckles* That's because any intelligent republican left california 10 years ago.

They left back when California had a multi billion dollar surplus, you mean? Or are you saying they left after they voted to halt the growth of all state property taxes, freezing existing income taxes, and crippling the Californian economy, leading (albeit in a round-about-way) to the poorer state California is today?

Yes, I would imagine that a good number of Republicans would choose to leave after they'd fucked up the economy beyond recognition, and voted in one of the worst governers in Californian history twice.

But, realistically, no - Republicans and Democrats don't simply leave their homes over trivial reasons such as petty politics ; especially not when they have their party in office, and especially not when many of them have lived in their state their entire lives.

Apex Vertigo
07-19-2010, 19:41
They left back when California had a multi billion dollar surplus, you mean? Or are you saying they left after they voted to halt the growth of all state property taxes, freezing existing income taxes, and crippling the Californian economy, leading (albeit in a round-about-way) to the poorer state California is today?

Yes, I would imagine that a good number of Republicans would choose to leave after they'd fucked up the economy beyond recognition, and voted in one of the worst governers in Californian history twice.

But, realistically, no - Republicans and Democrats don't simply leave their homes over trivial reasons such as petty politics ; especially not when they have their party in office, and especially not when many of them have lived in their state their entire lives.

I'm starting to thing Zeigler has given up on actually thinking about what he post and decided a while back to play the resident dumb hick of forumfall. It's embarrassing to read his post.

Ausei
07-19-2010, 19:41

Wow you are so democrat you smell like a hippie, hump trees, listen to dave matthews, and continue stereotypes that seem mostly true about the politicians that will never be open to new ideas. You are the reason nothing gets done in congress.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 19:44
Wow you are so democrat you smell like a hippie, hump trees, listen to dave matthews, and continue stereotypes that seem mostly true about the politicians that will never be open to new ideas. You are the reason nothing gets done in congress.

You know, just for future reference, if anybody asks you, on a pop-quiz, about what demographic Tenebrion belongs to : I'm a 6ft, 265lb, tattooed, gun-owning, skin-headed, leather-wearing, capitalistic body building mother-fucker who listens to Slayer and Testament.

But, if anything I said in my previous post was inaccurate, I'm always open to enlightenment.

Ausei
07-19-2010, 19:45
Ah, I see. So what, exactly, did I say that was inaccurate?

I didn't read it.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 19:49
I didn't read it.

You sound like the senate.

Ausei
07-19-2010, 19:53
You sound like the senate.

You act like the senate.

Tenebrion
07-19-2010, 19:55
You act like the senate.

Very witty. I mean, aside from the fact that what you just said has absolutely no meaning behind it beyond "I know you are but what am I!!"

Ausei
07-19-2010, 19:56
Very witty. I mean, aside from the fact that what you just said has absolutely no meaning behind it beyond "I know you are but what am I!!"

You started it. Seriously you did.

Kshahdoo
07-19-2010, 20:00
I wouldn't mind to come to the USA and ptomote some communism...

demiwar
07-19-2010, 20:05
one day people will learn that the problem with American politics isn't the people in office, its the dang parties. The majority of Americans don't vote for so and so, they vote R or D and it is truly sad. The Democratic party is about 90% communist idiots or their blind followers and the Republicans are 90%, well, honestly I don't even know what the Republicans are anymore. Republican currently means you are against democrats and Democrat means you are for some odd reason supporting a congress with a 20% approval rating and a President who wants to dissolve our northern and southern border. People are just so bent on following their party regardless of who i running and they rarely know why.

Adolf Stalin
07-20-2010, 00:54
one day people will learn that the problem with American politics isn't the people in office, its the dang parties. The majority of Americans don't vote for so and so, they vote R or D and it is truly sad. The Democratic party is about 90% communist idiots or their blind followers and the Republicans are 90%, well, honestly I don't even know what the Republicans are anymore. Republican currently means you are against democrats and Democrat means you are for some odd reason supporting a congress with a 20% approval rating and a President who wants to dissolve our northern and southern border. People are just so bent on following their party regardless of who i running and they rarely know why.

Americans are tribalism morons, you say?

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 03:46

The reason why the parties are so powerful is because of how woefully apathetic and ignorant the masses are.

9/10 people that I talk to don't know shit about their local politics, or national politics.

Rachsucht
07-20-2010, 04:49
9/10 people that I talk to don't know shit about their local politics, or national politics.

But you register them and ferry them out to vote.

/golfclap

xpiher
07-20-2010, 04:53

/golfclap

You mean just like what republicans do. Thankfully, elections are usually decided by people who aren't idiots.

Rachsucht
07-20-2010, 04:56
You mean just like what republicans do. Thankfully, elections are usually decided by people who aren't idiots.

Yes, exactly like Republicans do. Registering people to vote who don't bother to do it themselves, regardless of which party is coercing/enticing them, perverts democracy.

Nevron
07-20-2010, 05:13
I'll wait until a party emerges that's hell-bent on imperial rule and expansion into space.

nate4449
07-20-2010, 05:50
I'll wait until a party emerges that's hell-bent on imperial rule and expansion into space.

And offers free white helmets?

We should so start the Empire Party. Fuck those commie Rebels.

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 06:00
If you don't pay taxes you should not be allowed to vote. We should have kept this. Universal suffrage is for a retarded mob.

Sharuk
07-20-2010, 06:06

I used to live in Cali for eight years

Man when are yall going to vote out the Governor, he is not anywhere close to being a conservative and liberal policies are killing California (Smelt anyone?), and lets not bring up the tolerance of Illegals and how that has affected the cities. Cali is a mess and im glad i left before these problems really came to a head with the massive stupid government driving it into the ground

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 17:59

/golfclap

Capitalism at its finest.

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 18:32

You are right but I doubt you understand why it is so.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 19:02
You are right but I doubt you understand why it is so.

Feel free to enlighten me, but as always, I'm pretty certain that I have a fairly thorough understanding of what I'm talking about.

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 19:07
Feel free to enlighten me, but as always, I'm pretty certain that I have a fairly thorough understanding of what I'm talking about.

The system is built on moral hazard. People with no money can vote for benefits for them selves. Naturally you are taking advantage of that. Nothing wrong with it.

It's not capitalism in the fact that you are taking advantage of the situation but the fact that the situation exists.

Rachsucht
07-20-2010, 19:29
The problem is that there are no requirements to be eligible to vote other than being a citizen and having a pulse.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 19:34
The system is built on moral hazard. People with no money can vote for benefits for them selves. Naturally you are taking advantage of that. Nothing wrong with it.

It's not capitalism in the fact that you are taking advantage of the situation but the fact that the situation exists.

While I agree with you, you aren't looking at the entire picture ; what you mention is only a small part of it.

Yes, it's true that Democrats appeal to the poor and middle-class by providing vague incentives, and that the Republicans do the same with the wealthy with similar promises. It's also true that entrepreneurial people, such as myself, can spin these incentives to their own monetary advantage, hence, the entire industry of Marketing.

However, this is largely a result of the money at stake within our system. To put it another way, there's not only a lot to be financially gained for an individual on an immediate level from holding office, or supporting office, but there's also a lot to be gained long-term from the sort of policies the individual can help enact to benefit their constituents who would later, in turn, return the favor.

This is why our system has boiled down to a two party system, and why both of those parties are so afraid of any other (non-puppet) parties gaining traction in the United States, and thus, why they try so hard to convince the public that the other wacky parties are "irrelevant" and "not worth voting for". The bottom line is that the two both parties serve fairly similar interests, and systematically oppose their "opposing" party's ideals in order to maximize their individual share of the pie. What I'm describing here is a fairly basic concept outlined in game theory 101.

So, with votes directly translating to profit, it's best for the political parties to keep the voters as dumb and easily manipulated as possible, so that as the social climate changes, so too can the parties, with the masses being none the wiser, and with income remaining as predictable as possible. This is also why so-called "wedge issues" are so popular in the media, and why the parties take such strong (opposing) stances on them.

It's called The Business of Politics for a reason. With votes equaling money, the battle comes down to a battle of financing and economic strategizing, rather than a battle of ethics or ideas. It's about the bottom line, regardless of the impact that the bottom line may have on the nation as a whole, and maintaining both an image and a populace that facilitates achieving or exceeding that bottom line.

And so, with the majority of American voters not knowing shit about politics, those Americans can be used freely as a sort of resource or currency to further the income of those who belong to the American Business of Politics, or work for the American Business of Politics. It's a complete bastardization of Democracy - but, without the event of some sort of major national catastrophe or world-changing crisis - it's what we're stuck with.

And it's what I take advantage of.

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 19:42
Tenebrion I see the world exactly like you... Ideologically speaking w/e I may want is never going to be available. So I do my best to not drown in retardation. I hope you do realize the system will eat is self. I don't know when or how but the entire system is built around the law of the jungle. Screw others to gain your self.

Sharuk
07-20-2010, 20:47

I think you mixed up government systems with economic systems but ok

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 20:53
Tenebrion I see the world exactly like you... Ideologically speaking w/e I may want is never going to be available. So I do my best to not drown in retardation. I hope you do realize the system will eat is self. I don't know when or how but the entire system is built around the law of the jungle. Screw others to gain your self.

Correct. And, unsurprisingly, I'd rather be the screwdriver than the screw.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 20:53
I think you mixed up government systems with economic systems but ok

I think you fail to understand that there's no line that differentiates the two in today's America.

Sharuk
07-20-2010, 21:00
I think you fail to understand that there's no line that differentiates the two in today's America.

We are moving farther from free capitalism everyday, but if you mean by Survival of the Fittest then i suppose yes, the Richest and most powerful will gain all the power by keeping the masses happy with bread and circuses.

Capitalism and a Government based on our Constitution can only work if, well let me bring up some quotes:

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people, who have...a right, an indisputable, unalienable, indefeasible, divine right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge, I mean the character and conduct of their rulers."
-Samuel Adams

A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
-Samuel Adams

That the people will have virtue and intelligence to select men of virtue and wisdom. Is there no virtue among us?- If there be not,we are in a wrecthed situation. No Theoretical checks-no form of government, can render us secure
-Thomas Jefferson

It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth — and listen to the song of that siren, till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it might cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide... for it. -Patrick Henry

Everyone would rather drink the kool-aid and eat a big mac then care for their liberty and their country

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 21:01
if you mean by Survival of the Fittest then i suppose yes

Right, that's what I said. Capitalism.

As far as the quotes you posted go, I agree with them, and place the current state of our country firmly on the shoulders of the apathetic and uneducated masses, as well as those who enable, reinforce, and mandate that apathy and ignorance.

Ultimately, the silent removal of the power of the people, through common reinforced belief that one person's voice does not matter, that nothing will ever change, and that some people are inherently more valuable than others is what has ruined the modern world, as well as ruined America.

Sharuk
07-20-2010, 21:07
Right, that's what I said. Capitalism.

Id rather say Democracy (though we are a Republic), which is basicaly mob rule, well not even that at this point, its the Mob being controlled by a select few

The Mob does not really determine Elections, The Politicians and those with power and money do, and the same goes with policy

We agree, just a matter of semantics with me i guess

And i agree with the part of your post not in my quote (because of editing).

The people just dont care, sure maybe a few million do, but its going to take the whole country

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 21:10
Capitalism is supposedly survival of the fittest in ideas not in plundering the weak.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 21:15
Id rather say Democracy (though we are a Republic), which is basicaly mob rule, well not even that at this point, its the Mob being controlled by a select few

The Mob does not really determine Elections, The Politicians and those with power and money do, and the same goes with policy

It depends on how you want to look at it. Capitalism, in general, is about a system based on the ideas of survival of the fittest, and success to those who have most earned it. There's nothing wrong with this in and of itself - but it does lead to situations of fairly severe social decay as the balance of power becomes focused on the few rather than the many ; because, in a purely capitalist society, those who have more, are more - a man worth 1.5 billion dollars is more important than a man worth 15 thousand.

The social decay comes in thanks to individual selfishness, and the fact that many, or at least some, of those who dictate the direction of their nation, dictate in the direction that's in their personal best interest, rather than their nation's best interest. This is not exclusive to the man worth 1.5 billion, either ; the mob of people worth $15,000 are equally self interested. I'm sure we can all think of examples that illustrate both sides of the spectrum of what I'm talking about here.

It's completely accurate that the mob, or the people, do not determine elections - but that salesman, otherwise known as politicians or political servants, determine elections. And this is a result of the money that is at stake for those vying for their share of the American political pie.

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 21:22
Until the mob smartens up to their situation and realize that turning to politicians for help is only screwing them selves we will continue to degenerate.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 21:25
Let me point out one of the worst parts of our system :

Have you ever been to a walmart, or a grocery store, where someone tried to get you to sign a "petition"? Let's say a petition to help legalize marajuana, or ban gay marriage, or support our troops, or whatever.

Well, more often than not, these people are actually paid by either the Democratic party, or the Republican party - and what they're doing, in actuality, is registering people to vote. And, whichever party they're with, that's what they're going to mark every single person who signs their petition as to vote. They generally have a number of different "petition" pamphlets with them, and switch out the pamphlet based on the person they're trying to pitch to.

The kicker? These people get paid something along the lines of $3.00 - $7.00 per signature on these so-called petitions, directly by the Republican or Democratic party, because each signature represents another absentee voter registered and cataloged in support of the party.

And this is an extremely common practice in nearly all elections.

Silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 21:28
Wtf does that gain them?

Sharuk
07-20-2010, 21:36
It depends on how you want to look at it. Capitalism, in general, is about a system based on the ideas of survival of the fittest, and success to those who have most earned it. There's nothing wrong with this in and of itself - but it does lead to situations of fairly severe social decay as the balance of power becomes focused on the few rather than the many ; because, in a purely capitalist society, those who have more, are more - a man worth 1.5 billion dollars is more important than a man worth 15 thousand.

The social decay comes in thanks to individual selfishness, and the fact that many, or at least some, of those who dictate the direction of their nation, dictate in the direction that's in their personal best interest, rather than their nation's best interest. This is not exclusive to the man worth 1.5 billion, either ; the mob of people worth $15,000 are equally self interested. I'm sure we can all think of examples that illustrate both sides of the spectrum of what I'm talking about here.

It's completely accurate that the mob, or the people, do not determine elections - but that salesman, otherwise known as politicians or political servants, determine elections. And this is a result of the money that is at stake for those vying for their share of the American political pie.

And i agree, we have had a good run, but Captalism has given us so much we take it for granted, same with our government. But when the people get proud and greedy, it never ends well and thats where we are. We feel entitled and that nothing could ever change, but what we dont see is that we no longer call the shots. Its those in power that do, and they think they are more important than the "little" people.

Now if people were educated and cared for their country then yes our system would have been able to work longer then it did, but we have failed in that respect. And in my opinion it really started picking up in the early 1900s, it takes awhile for society to decay, still fast enough to be suprising but slow enough that those not looking for it cant see it.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 22:12
Wtf does that gain them?

Tons upon tons upon tons of votes.

It's something called absentee voting ; in some cases, you can be registered so that your vote is automatically cast in any of the elections. More often than not, however, you are instead just mailed a ballot, which you're supposed to fill out from home - but, the thing is, is that a representative from the party that bagged you will most likely give you a call (or multiple) around the time that the ballots go out, in order to remind you to vote. In some cases, they'll even show up to your house, and "help" remind you to fill out your ballot.

And, most people, being the simpletons that they are, will literally vote for whoever they're told to vote for.

Tenebrion
07-20-2010, 22:13
And i agree, we have had a good run, but Captalism has given us so much we take it for granted, same with our government. But when the people get proud and greedy, it never ends well and thats where we are. We feel entitled and that nothing could ever change, but what we dont see is that we no longer call the shots. Its those in power that do, and they think they are more important than the "little" people.

Now if people were educated and cared for their country then yes our system would have been able to work longer then it did, but we have failed in that respect. And in my opinion it really started picking up in the early 1900s, it takes awhile for society to decay, still fast enough to be suprising but slow enough that those not looking for it cant see it.

Here's to hoping Mars will be different. And within my lifetime.