PDA

View Full Version : Mostly mage Char Viable?

Moribund
04-28-2010, 03:54
I do this every few months, so let me ask, is a mostly mage character viable for PVP?

Draxyn
04-28-2010, 03:56
Umm yes...

Moribund
04-28-2010, 03:58
As a skeptical beta player, explain why mostly mage chars work now when they really didn't for a while.

McDoogs
04-28-2010, 04:18
lol bro, magic has been king in darkfall for just about a year now.

Mossarrow
04-28-2010, 04:18
As a skeptical beta player, explain why mostly mage chars work now when they really didn't for a while.

old times - naked fight with starter wep(who the hell wanted to care 600 regs?). So char development went to the way of archery and close combat.

1 year left what is enough time to get intensity to 100 for some players (what is not the same grind like get wep mastery to 100) so and lvl mage is a slayer if he moves well thats the way...

labron
04-28-2010, 04:30
lol yes, in fact if you dont wanna die a hundred times straight go magic and max all the schools like everyone else, and learn to fight like everyone else, and learn to use the same skills as everyone else, cause thats all what DF is about nowadays.

Jedicake
04-28-2010, 05:23
lol yes, in fact if you dont wanna die a hundred times straight go magic and max all the schools like everyone else, and learn to fight like everyone else, and learn to use the same skills as everyone else, cause thats all what DF is about nowadays.

Well, most people

MD-Teza
04-28-2010, 05:55

Yeah, well do that, and we'll see how THAT goes.

Trammie
04-28-2010, 06:11
lol theres plenty of different mages i know alot of necro/earth mages now who tear the 1v1 shit up and are great to have in your group when pvping cause they just chain blinds unfortunately surround sound headset quickly counters that

Moribund
04-28-2010, 15:26
Interesting, I almost want to come back... :ohno: :eek:

Mandariini
04-28-2010, 16:00

If you're into magic, now if ever is the time to join the game, 99% of the players are so called "mages" only a few select remain anti-magic and they fare somewhat.

Niburu
04-28-2010, 16:03

But Magic is OP since one year or so.......

Moribund
04-28-2010, 16:04
Hmm, tell me, how many magic schools would I need to learn to be competitive?

Niburu
04-28-2010, 16:04
You need
-Fire to 100 with high intensify
-Second Elemental School, i would suggest Air,to 100 with high intensify
-Witchcraft on 75 for WitchesBrew
-SpellChanting on 75 for Arcane Magic
-Arcane Magic min. to 50
-Earth Magic to 50 for Stoneskin
-Greater Magic to 100 for confusion
-Necro to 90 for Eye Rot and on 50 for Vampiric Touch
-Water Magic to 70 for INT Buff

Start with Spellchanting to 75 and level up Arcane to 20. You will have Haste now and Lend Mana what is perfect to level up your magic in a group with others who have lend mana. After this you should work your way to witches Brew. Thats the "must haves" now you begin to get your Fire and Air to ~50 Intensify. If you have that you can work on the "tools" like Eye Rot,WoF,confusion,INT Buff and all the others

But they patched the skill gain LLOOONNNGGG time ago and it is much faster now than in beta. You can bring one school to 100 in one weekend by killing mobs and spending the gold into regs

Trammie
04-28-2010, 16:15
You need
-Fire to 100 with 50 intensify

-Witchcraft on 75 for WitchesBrew
-SpellChanting on 75 for Arcane Magic
-Arcane Magic to 60 for the bubble

that is a pvp ready character and if someone tells you different there a gimp

my skills are around that level and 4 geared defiant order yesterday decided to farm a couple nekked noobs at my hamlet and i ported in with a bone set my staff and regs, and 1 mount and they all died in a matter of seconds

you wont kill 4 black shields with that setup but i still consider it pvp ready just know which cities to hit and which to avoid

Moribund
04-28-2010, 16:20
So I guess doing something like Arcane+Air won't work well.

Niburu
04-28-2010, 16:22

You need Arcane.

You will Learn Fire+Air because of the dmg output. Fire hase a dmg spell extra that doesn't share cooldown and air hase some nice speels to get on top of buildings or push enemies away. Arcane will be your support school. You will use 2 Buffs and a big bubble that keeps enemies inside like glue. The two buffs are Haste ( faster casting time) and spell reflect ( reflect the effect of a spell to the oponent)

In the End you will level all to 100 and in two schools you will level your intensify as high as you can

Moribund
04-28-2010, 16:26
You need Arcane.

You will Learn Fire+Air because of the dmg output. Fire hase a dmg spell extra that doesn't share cooldown and air hase some nice speels to get on top of buildings or push enemies away. Arcane will be your support school. You will use 2 Buffs and a big bubble that keeps enemies inside like glue. The two buffs are Haste ( faster casting time) and spell reflect ( reflect the effect of a spell to the oponent)

In the End you will level all to 100 and in two schools you will level your intensify as high as you can

So wait, pure arcane/fire/air would work?

Niburu
04-28-2010, 16:35
So wait, pure arcane/fire/air would work?

yes, but if you continue playing you want to have all the other nice tools from the other schools

Moribund
04-28-2010, 16:36
yes

How long would it take me to get each to 25, and what clans would help me do that fast? I assume the way of the macro is still how everyone rolls.

LordFunk
04-28-2010, 16:43
How long would it take me to get each to 25, and what clans would help me do that fast? I assume the way of the macro is still how everyone rolls.

Christ, dude, probably the only thing you'll need to macro is Spellchanting... The rest level up pretty well pveing on mobs that drop their regs; for WC and GM just cycle a lot of the debuffs while you're at it.

Now getting FM intensity to 50... that's a different story.

Niburu
04-28-2010, 16:44

You should read more about the game. The game is not the same that you played in beta

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/U7bnZWFrWlVTstZ0y8izJQ48431/GW638H361

You need Lesser+Greater Magic up before you can start Air/Fire also you need 75 Spell Chanting to get Arcane. to get Greater Magic to 50 you need maybe 2 or 3 days of casual play. At this point you can buy Fire/Air and to get them to 25 you need maybe 1-2 hours.

EDIT: the "or" in my grafic means nothing you can learn everything if you have what you need

Moribund
04-28-2010, 17:01
You should read more about the game. The game is not the same that you played in beta

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/U7bnZWFrWlVTstZ0y8izJQ48431/GW638H361

You need Lesser+Greater Magic up before you can start Air/Fire also you need 75 Spell Chanting to get Arcane. to get Greater Magic to 50 you need maybe 2 or 3 days of casual play. At this point you can buy Fire/Air and to get them to 25 you need maybe 1-2 hours.

EDIT: the "or" in my grafic means nothing you can learn everything if you have what you need

Wish the Or applied, but oh well. 2-3 days casual? It took me a month to ALMOST get GM! This game might just be worth it now... Next somebody is going to tell me steedweed is easy to get.

Niburu
04-28-2010, 17:12
Wish the Or applied, but oh well. 2-3 days casual? It took me a month to ALMOST get GM! This game might just be worth it now...

Yes the grind from the past is not compareable to now. If you have a good spot you level one magic school from 1-100 in one weekend f you spend the day playing and the night for parties and womans. Also next week or two weeks they introduce a patch that will close the heal points gap between vets and new players. Snakeweed is a herb. it is easy to get if you kill forest golem with a friend or of you own a mine.....the gathering is the same as in beta excapt you auto harvest now and you dont have to click each time. I think you are talking about Steedgrass for mounts. It is the same as in beta you have to herb bushes ( slow) or kill mobs (WildtribeMage,oaklords,Forest Golem(only with 2)) to get Steedgrass. Mobs is the best way to get steed

And i also wish the OR would be true

Moribund
04-28-2010, 17:15
Yes the grind from the past is not compareable to now. If you have a good spot you level one magic school from 1-100 in one weekend f you spend the day playing and the night for parties and womans

I can dig that. And there are big alliance with tons of large boats and stuff on NA1?

Niburu
04-28-2010, 17:19
I can dig that. And there are big alliance with tons of large boats and stuff on NA1?

Iam EU-1

video from my Guild http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnCrGGC5IHw&hd=1 about boats.

The small are used very often nowdays. They Added Sea Towers to the game that you only can capture with ship canons and that drop lots of Thyeril Ore and other stuff

Moribund
04-28-2010, 17:24
Iam EU-1

video from my Guild http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnCrGGC5IHw&hd=1 about boats.

The small are used very often nowdays. They Added Sea Towers to the game that you only can capture with ship canons and that drop lots of Thyeril Ore and other stuff

Looks sweet. Sorry to keep asking questions, but how hard is good armor and mounts to get right now, and how old is NA1?

Niburu
04-28-2010, 17:34
Looks sweet. Sorry to keep asking questions, but how hard is good armor and mounts to get right now, and how old is NA1?
As caster you don't need much Armor only bone Armor and a Staff. If you want to wear good weapons and gear you need to play as a group. You can farm top weapons with 2 guys but ofc you have to know the spots. Except the Devil/Dragon you can kill everything ingame pretty easy with 2 players if you have enough heal spells

fjanor
04-28-2010, 17:38

Sure is. I have all my schools at 100. But I only use arcane for damage and then I use utility spells and buffs from the rest.

Sarphus
04-28-2010, 20:32
I play a mostly mage char. It is definitely viable.

It's good to have melee, but you can actually kill most ppl with nothing but magic. If your magic is developed enough you can kill all people with nothing but magic.

I generally only pull out a weapon in field pvp if I am in a spot where I will hit myself with magic.

DFmerph
04-28-2010, 20:43
chose magic if you like it.
If you dont like it, well.. then u have to chose it anyways

$id Viciou$
04-28-2010, 20:50
LOL yeah I remember how long it took me to get GM on EU release . .. and I macroed LM all night while I slept.

I recently tried the trial just to see how the character progression has changed and I got 50GM, 50sword, 50archery, all around the 15th hour or so (without any help from my main toon). It is insanely easy now compared to before.

If you are going to be the mage of everything than that is a big grind. I recommend surging fireball and lightning strike first because you can pretty much cycle between those two and do massive dmg.

Macroing is no longer occurring unless it is maintained (not AFK) or you will be banned. You are banned for a day for the first offense. It is not really worth macroing anymore anyways because you get twice the gains from hitting mobs.

All in all, this game just keeps getting better and better!

Pretty soon prestige classes will be released and HP formula revamped so this should really help out and make it easier for the developing character.

Moribund
04-28-2010, 21:21
Dear god I think I can't help myself. Arcane, Fire, Air has most the fun stuff, although I must ask, what is a good anti magic magic school?

*Must resist the urge to sub*

CattBoy
04-28-2010, 21:26
Dear god I think I can't help myself. Arcane, Fire, Air has most the fun stuff, although I must ask, what is a good anti magic magic school?

*Must resist the urge to sub*

Hi

This game is about who has more Hit Points, right now.

If you have decent hit points, you can play any way you want to play.

And a 100% successful mage will need the "best" from 2 schools they choose.

You want 2 r100/r90 nukes, 2 jump casting r50's, and then filler spells while u rotate those, IE Magma storm / Wall of Force / Bolt of choice / etc.

Re-sub and practice until they release the june patch imo.

Edit: a good anti magic is debuffs. Use tongue rot + burden and they are toast

arnebiff
04-28-2010, 21:27
I do this every few months, so let me ask, is a mostly mage character viable for PVP?

Weeeeeell, yeah. Prrretty much

PS: I hate magix.

Moribund
04-28-2010, 21:41
June patch will change HP how?

CattBoy
04-28-2010, 21:46
June patch will change HP how?

No no.

Before june they are redoing hit points by making it work on a Diminishing scale.

IE: you will hit 350 hit points faster, and every point of Vitality after 350 will slow the gains.

1 vitality @ 20 vit = 10 hp
1 vit @ 70 vit = 2 hp

(No final numbers, these are my examples)

But JUNE is set as another "expansion" date... Like the Conquer of the Sea (last xpac)

Tons of content + changes + stuff

Hence why I said to practice now, before everyone subs for the June XPac :)

Moribund
04-28-2010, 22:04
No no.

Before june they are redoing hit points by making it work on a Diminishing scale.

IE: you will hit 350 hit points faster, and every point of Vitality after 350 will slow the gains.

1 vitality @ 20 vit = 10 hp
1 vit @ 70 vit = 2 hp

(No final numbers, these are my examples)

But JUNE is set as another "expansion" date... Like the Conquer of the Sea (last xpac)

Tons of content + changes + stuff

Hence why I said to practice now, before everyone subs for the June XPac :)

Yummy! What sort of content+changes+stuff?

Will magic still be good?

CattBoy
04-28-2010, 22:07
Yummy! What sort of content+changes+stuff?

Will magic still be good?

Can non-subscribers read the spotlight?

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Nothing is announced on what is included in the changes, but they just gave us a date for a change.

johnnyc3po
04-28-2010, 22:09
lol bro, magic has been king in darkfall for just about a year now.

Yeah, this... once your magic is high enough, you can dish out more DPS then anyone else..

Moribund
04-28-2010, 22:10
Can non-subscribers read the spotlight?

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Nothing is announced on what is included in the changes, but they just gave us a date for a change.

Gotcha, and we read it.

telanerv
04-28-2010, 22:13
if you have good teamwork, a heavy armor player can be effective, especially if he can AIM ^-^

.... but yah magery rocks ur socks

Moribund
04-28-2010, 23:01
if you have good teamwork, a heavy armor player can be effective, especially if he can AIM ^-^

.... but yah magery rocks ur socks

Oh and yeah, how is the pop on NA1? Good enough to sustain itself and grow?

Trammie
04-28-2010, 23:04
Oh and yeah, how is the pop on NA1? Good enough to sustain itself and grow?

NA1 is fucking loaded I can always find pvp and it usually finds me when i dont want it

Moribund
04-29-2010, 04:41
I want to know in as much detail as possible what Come Hither does, how it works, how it pulls, how fast it pulls, ect, ect.

Trammie
04-29-2010, 04:55
I want to know in as much detail as possible what Come Hither does, how it works, how it pulls, how fast it pulls, ect, ect.

come hither is a ray spell thats very fast and has good range it pulls your target in the direction it hit them from if its 50+ it pulls them quite far great for pulling people off city walls and raping them

SEOINAGE
04-29-2010, 04:58

it is a ray spell so it instantly hits them and pulls them back to you or further. the higher the level the more powerful it will be, you will have to try it honestly. it does have a cast time, and it can cause them to take fall damage.

Moribund
04-29-2010, 05:02
come hither is a ray spell thats very fast and has good range it pulls your target in the direction it hit them from if its 50+ it pulls them quite far great for pulling people off city walls and raping them

Any way to pull them part way? It sounds awesome, though. Pull people off cliffs.

korncob
04-29-2010, 05:17
I recently tried the trial just to see how the character progression has changed and I got 50GM, 50sword, 50archery, all around the 15th hour or so (without any help from my main toon). It is insanely easy now compared to before.

Hope you don't mind me asking but, how exactly did you get 50 gm 50 sword and 50 archery in 15 hours? I trained probably 4~6 hours total (of actual killing) each day for a week and a half and only got to about 40 polearm 28 gm 70 LM and 45 archery...lol

Not calling you a lier or anything I'm just trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong.

Niburu
04-29-2010, 11:23
Hope you don't mind me asking but, how exactly did you get 50 gm 50 sword and 50 archery in 15 hours? I trained probably 4~6 hours total (of actual killing) each day for a week and a half and only got to about 40 polearm 28 gm 70 LM and 45 archery...lol

Not calling you a lier or anything I'm just trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong.

he hade only 50 LM. The skillups are much slower after 50 so in the time when you made 20 points in Lm he made 10 points in meele,5points in archery and the rest of GM

Brian Fantana
04-29-2010, 14:22
Hey, great thread...

Thank you for all of the info. I have my lesser magic at 62.5 and really didn't know what to do from there other than buy what I could at my skill level.

You guys have laid out a good game plan for developing that side of our toons.

Thanks

Moribund
04-30-2010, 03:53
Storm blast, what does that do, and what can you use it for?

kilrain
04-30-2010, 04:53
Moribund, can you think of a reason to NOT re-sub? That is the real question here, DF is kicking ass, if you have to find something to convince you to not sub then it's probably a good choice to just do it. Nothing wrong with giving it a go.

Moribund
04-30-2010, 04:55
Moribund, can you think of a reason to NOT re-sub? That is the real question here, DF is kicking ass, if you have to find something to convince you to not sub then it's probably a good choice to just do it. Nothing wrong with giving it a go.

Darkfall was a two year clusterfuck for me, I want to make sure I am not screwing myself royally.

Dwhap
04-30-2010, 20:08
You can bring one school to 100 in one weekend by killing mobs and spending the gold into regs

Right...

maybe if you have 500K in the bank to buy the regs, don't get PK's at all, and don't plan on sleeping then maybe it's possible. Sure doesn't sound like much fun. Better to actually PLAY the game and have some fun while your skills increase gradually.

Zushakon
04-30-2010, 23:32
Right...

maybe if you have 500K in the bank to buy the regs, don't get PK's at all, and don't plan on sleeping then maybe it's possible. Sure doesn't sound like much fun. Better to actually PLAY the game and have some fun while your skills increase gradually.

Yes, actually playing the game is a pretty good idea. Especially since that's possible now, unlike how it was at launch(buggin mobs and macroing was like the only way to go), I feel it's somewhat viable to just kill mobs without it feeling too much like a grind.

Moribund
05-01-2010, 01:17
What exactly do the Anti magic players do to kill mages, if it is the most effective thing right now.

(Okay, I admit, superfluous question, I'm gonna buy, but just curious)

Trammie
05-01-2010, 04:54
What exactly do the Anti magic players do to kill mages, if it is the most effective thing right now.

carry lots of mounts to get nice and close and tear them up once mounts dead you should be in range to tear them up with melee / archery

RelentlesCoward
05-01-2010, 05:24

Pray.
hehe :lmao:

j/k :p

But it helps..

Death's Chill
05-01-2010, 05:26

Yep..

It's possible to kill with just melee and archery, but far easier to do so with magic. And it's not like you can walk around without a staff. You still HAVE to use at the VERY least conversion spells, and preferably heals but fuck that those are still affected by encumbrance.

It's completely and utterly imbalanced. Mages deal the most, require the least amount of skill, have the most utility, AND heals both for yourself and other players. Oh, and to pwn, you have to risk a lot less in end-game pvp.

Corp-Por
05-01-2010, 06:02

Team work with other clan members who are a mage. Stop thinking 1vs1 and start thinking team work.

Death's Chill
05-01-2010, 06:04
Team work with other clan members who are a mage. Stop thinking 1vs1 and start thinking team work.

Team work requires vent (in pvp) which breaks immersion. Also, a lot of people dislike having to rely on others to be able to play the role they want, in this so called sandbox RPG.