PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic parts

Torder
02-27-2010, 21:20
One of the unrealistic parts of alot of mmorpg's is how easy it is to heal a character. I see this in DF too. The amount of damage healed might be fine I guess, but it's the time it takes that is usually to fast.

If, say, only the best portions and heal spells had the time effect that the low quality ones have then maybe we'd see more realistic behaviour in fights as well.
You don't really care much about your hp if it's easy to restore.

Ragnarok Vanir
02-27-2010, 21:26
You ever tried hitting someone with a ray spell in combat?

Archetype90
02-27-2010, 21:31
One of the unrealistic parts of alot of mmorpg's is how easy it is to heal a character. I see this in DF too. The amount of damage healed might be fine I guess, but it's the time it takes that is usually to fast.

If, say, only the best portions and heal spells had the time effect that the low quality ones have then maybe we'd see more realistic behaviour in fights as well.

Do you play the game?

Heal spells are aimed. You essentially have to stop, with the person that needs healing for 10-15 seconds to heal up. If you are in the middle of any sort of fighting this is way easier said then done.

And are we really talking about realism in a game that uses magic, has dragons, and is virtual?

Makgyver
02-27-2010, 21:41
unrealistic?

Jedicake
02-27-2010, 21:42
and picking up a stick and casting magic out of it isn't unrealistic lol

MrDDT
02-27-2010, 23:35
and picking up a stick and casting magic out of it isn't unrealistic lol

Come on now, you cant do that? Geez carebear.

Jedicake
02-27-2010, 23:43
Come on now, you cant do that? Geez carebear.

HEY! I shoot love out of my chest! OK!?

Tibernicus
02-28-2010, 00:35

Hmm, I understand what you're saying. I miss the old MMOs that had longish downtime, but I don't think it'd work too well in Darkfall.

MrDDT
02-28-2010, 01:42
HEY! I shoot love out of my chest! OK!?

I shoot love out of my stick all the time =P

MrDDT
02-28-2010, 01:43

There is a game called Roma Victor, (Closing down, but RV2 is coming out) would be perfect for what you want IMO.

Check it out.

Ymgarl
02-28-2010, 01:57
Hmm, I understand what you're saying. I miss the old MMOs that had longish downtime, but I don't think it'd work too well in Darkfall.

It used to have a 5min+ downtime after each death, but as skills went up, it's gotten smaller and smaller.

Melkorus
02-28-2010, 02:08

Try DnD Online, I think you will enjoy it.

GRCPan
02-28-2010, 02:13
unrealistic?

this

DFmerph
02-28-2010, 02:19
unrealistic?

this+1

scar96
02-28-2010, 02:30
And are we really talking about realism in a game that uses magic, has dragons, and is virtual?

hahahah this is exactly what i thought when i saw the thread! :lmao:

Torder
03-01-2010, 07:26
Then why do they use the word "realistic" on their frontpage...

http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html

Layedballer
03-01-2010, 08:38

Uhh all I see is the transition from one area to another is realistic, nothing about the game itself being realistic

Torder
03-01-2010, 08:48
Uhh all I see is the transition from one area to another is realistic, nothing about the game itself being realistic

It's in the game, ofc it has to do with the game....:rolleyes:

Anyway, alot the things that AV is trying to do different with Darkfall compared to other games in the same genre, takes it further towards a more realistic setting.

That is one of the things that are advertised with games, MORE REALISTIC graphics, or combat i.e.

Corp-Por
03-01-2010, 08:49

Most unrealistic part about being in a fantasy MMO is the how easy it is to heal? Do the dogs walking on two legs, goblins, trolls, magic and all other things fantasy escape your reality assessment on the game and the RPG MMO genre in general?:bang:

Noxite
03-01-2010, 09:02

That is MMORPG.com's comment on the game, but you can't compare content (dragons and spells) to the technical side of the game (transitions in land).

Torder
03-01-2010, 09:03
Most unrealistic part about being in a fantasy MMO is the how easy it is to heal? Do the dogs walking on two legs, goblins, trolls, magic and all other things fantasy escape your reality assessment on the game and the RPG MMO genre in general?:bang:

You fail at reading, try again.

Torder
03-01-2010, 09:06
That is MMORPG.com's comment on the game, but you can't compare content (dragons and spells) to the technical side of the game (transitions in land).

Yet Aventurine chose to put it there...

Transitions are just as much a part of the game experience as anything else.

And like I said earlier:

Alot the things that AV is trying to do different with Darkfall compared to other games in the same genre, takes it further towards a more realistic setting.

devian
03-01-2010, 13:14
Unrealistic alot of the one of parts is mmorpg's

Torder
03-09-2010, 11:20
I got another unrealistic part thing today:

- why can't I eat while I'm resting?

- why can't I loot while I'm crouching?

:confused:

Narcowski
03-09-2010, 15:15

1: Because buffs to the same thing don't stack, so resting under Nutrition is a waster of food.

2: I distinctly remember being able to do this. If you can't, then think of it like this - some of those items won't fit into your bag of holding without going in straight :p

Torder
03-09-2010, 16:04
1: Because buffs to the same thing don't stack, so resting under Nutrition is a waster of food.

2: I distinctly remember being able to do this. If you can't, then think of it like this - some of those items won't fit into your bag of holding without going in straight :p

But food and healing pots don't stack though and they both heal afaik.

I'm gonna try a bit more with the crouch looting, but I couldn't even access the gravestone at all last I tried. I had to stand up.

[DJ]Lodda
03-09-2010, 16:18
Pots and food don't stack? Huh? :confused:

Narcowski
03-09-2010, 16:18
But food and healing pots don't stack though and they both heal afaik.

Food gives "Nutrition", which is a buff HP+Stamina passive regeneration

Rest also gives a bonus to passive regeneration, and therefore does not stack with food.

HP Potions give a +HP effect; they don't augment your passive regeneration. Therefore, food stacks with potions.

Raibais
03-09-2010, 18:18

I think his got changed ages ago. When resting with no food system says 1hp - 1mana - 1 stam from resting. With food 3hp - 1mana - 3stam.

Narcowski
03-09-2010, 19:26
I think his got changed ages ago. When resting with no food system says 1hp - 1mana - 1 stam from resting. With food 3hp - 1mana - 3stam.

Right, the greater buff stands.

ed: to clarify: If you rest with Nutrition, you get Nutrition's +stam and +hp, and Rest's +mana. Each regen is handled differently, and only one buff can apply to each.

iSay
03-10-2010, 00:42
What are you trying to say? You want people to stand there while someone gets out a needle and thread to stitch someone up, get out an anticeptic so the wound doesn't get infected, then tell them to rest in bed for a few days!?

If you want something changed then suggest it, don't make up bullshit about realism in a game.

Walking Target
03-10-2010, 01:29
Also re-spawning is out. Character dies, gotta re-roll. :D

Torder
03-10-2010, 01:35
What are you trying to say? You want people to stand there while someone gets out a needle and thread to stitch someone up, get out an anticeptic so the wound doesn't get infected, then tell them to rest in bed for a few days!?

If you want something changed then suggest it, don't make up bullshit about realism in a game.

So realism in a game is bullshit? If you think that fine, but I don't.

If you want me to stop pointing out what I think is unrealistic in a game, you have to put in some more effort, I don't stop just because it would suit you.

I have every right to say how I experience the game, if youre not happy with it it's your problem.

As an example, in a game like WoW you CAN't eat while you fight, you have to sit down to eat and drink.

In DF you CAN hit a monster with a sword, quickly open your lunchbox and eat pie in about 2 seconds before the monsters hits you, then hit the monster with another sword swing.

You can however NOT sit down and eat while your watching the grass grow.

Of course, DF have other parts in the game that is more realistic, like lack of instancing. I simply think it's worth pointing out unrealistic parts.

If you started up in the clouds with your character for no appearant reason, wouldn't that be unrealistic? It would make sense if you played an angel mmorpg, or a bird mmorpg, but as a simple human with 0 magic skills? No.

So there IS realism in games, and there IS LACK of realism in games, and I'm don't demand that a game is suppose to be 100% equal to real life + magic/sci-fi. But some things can be improved without breaking any technological limits.

Some people play this game just to pwn others, cause that's all they got in their life, and I seriously pity them.

I play the game for the fun of PvP, PvE, crafting, socializing, and I might even try to RP at a later point, because it is actually fun to play "theater games". If someone beat me in PvP, I have yet to send them a bad PM.

But I enjoy games when they are more realistic, because it gives the feeling of having more options, more freedom.

And I don't mind magic, or sci-fi for that matter, because it's part of the unexplainable. But the things that ARE explainable should at least make sense.

So if anyone now wonder why I point out unrealistic parts, then I hope this makes for a sufficient explanation, and no I won't stop pointing it out unless you give me a MUCH! better reason....

Torder
03-10-2010, 01:41
Also re-spawning is out. Character dies, gotta re-roll. :D

Just because your body goes to earth in real life, doesn't mean that you don't continue existing.

Numerous religions and psychics point out the possibility of life after death.

And science have not managed to prove there is no life after death, because science doesn't KNOW what exists after death.

And from THAT point of view, permadeath is the unrealistic option.

iSay
03-10-2010, 01:58
And I don't mind magic, or sci-fi for that matter, because it's part of the unexplainable.

LOL! What planet do you live on? First of, sci-fi is self-explanatory! Science-Fiction.

Magic is also easy to explain; It isn't real! There is no such thing, it's made up - just like this game. That's why darkfall will never be realistic.

HighTime
03-10-2010, 03:32

i got a horse in my pocket

Torder
03-10-2010, 03:40
LOL! What planet do you live on? First of, sci-fi is self-explanatory! Science-Fiction.

Magic is also easy to explain; It isn't real! There is no such thing, it's made up - just like this game. That's why darkfall will never be realistic.

Can you prove what science will uncover in the future?

At some point in time computers of today where sci-fi. At another point they would be considered magic.

And I didn't say that I expect DF to be 100% realistic?

Is it really too much to ask a game to make sense?

Let me answer that: No.

Let me repeat that:

Let me repeat that:

Now I'm tired of repeating....

Torder
03-10-2010, 03:43
i got a horse in my pocket

Actually it's a horse figurine, that is used to call on a horse, so that explanation makes some sense.

But a simple whistle would make more sense, but I'm not gonna nitpick on that.

Reckun
03-10-2010, 04:14
There is a game called Roma Victor, (Closing down, but RV2 is coming out) would be perfect for what you want IMO.

Check it out.

watsup ddt the most hated guy in rv lol

HighTime
03-10-2010, 04:23
Actually it's a horse figurine, that is used to call on a horse, so that explanation makes some sense.

lol k
your right that makes sense

i call horses all the time using horse figurines in my pocket irl

all the fuckin time

irl

dawg

hengle
03-10-2010, 04:24
i have an alfar living down the street from me, actually. nice guy.

xerian
03-10-2010, 05:21
lol k
your right that makes sense

i call horses all the time using horse figurines in my pocket irl

all the fuckin time

irl

dawg

Me too! I do the same with Cars(Warhulks) and Boats too! It's AWESOME!

Torder
03-10-2010, 06:03
Ok so it's either full realism or no realism at all to you people then.

Ok, then I suggest that every new character starts with max skill and each time they use it, they lose skill points.

Endgame will be when you grinded your way to zero skill level.

Yes that would make sense, because we are playing an unrealistic game and this is unrealistic so way to go.

Also I would like to see Sarah Palin as an endgame monster, and I also want roflcopters swirling around. I also want to see lazergunz and spaceships, like the burning crusade in WoW. Actually lets just put WoW INTO this game cause that would be unrealistic so lets do that.

Also I would like to see nourishment from food when my character pukes, but he can never eat. Every time you jump you go through the planet and end up on the other side.

Then on all the subcontinents there should be a version of Freud standing in case you go nuts, then you have to get a quest from your mom who is ingame. That's unrealistic so it fits very well.

Yes we need more unrealism and we also need more people to say that we should limit the options of the game becuase that is unrealistic and perhaps then it will make more people play the game.

...so maybe you can start to understand that your logic utterly and completely fails.

:rolleyes:

Wait wait also when you win a battle you die, but when you lose a battle you get transfered to the other server.

No wait you get transfered to a third server becasue that is unrealistic

I think this game is going to be great!! :D

[DJ]Lodda
03-10-2010, 14:29
FAR too much time on your hands, but yeah you're not nitpicking... :rolleyes:

Amishh
03-10-2010, 15:32
I shoot love out of my stick all the time =P

/thread

devian
03-10-2010, 15:55

Brb, gonna go pull out some hot wheels and hope those real cars appear.

Zerbz
03-10-2010, 16:12
Haha man your playing a game with Fuckin orcs elfs alfars dwarfs and walking wolfs, why the shit do you care about it being realistic?