View Full Version : New Player Protection

Pages : 1 [2]

Caaahl
02-11-2010, 09:02
exactly

Who said it would be 2 hours?

Viurence
02-12-2010, 01:29
This system is going to hurt new players more than it allegedly helps them.
Only places the 1 or 2 week or even month old characters can go to PvP and actually kill something is those starter towns.
Now with the invulnerability shield they don't even have that option except to grind for 6 whole months until they become competitive for just to PvP and even after that to pray that their solo opponent is not using some cheats.

This is the life of a solo player in Darkfall. It doesn't worth much.

You read my mind. I think that only zerg players left in Darkfall. That is what the opinions in this thread show. This system kills the best thing Darkfall offers, the first days of playing.

Kimoshu
02-14-2010, 18:52
Ah the tears of skill-less newbie griefers (the true carebears) are delicious...

on topic:
This game will live or ie based on its ability to attract new players and turn those into paying subscribers. It's totally fair and reasonable that players completely new to the game get the chance to learn the controls without some 350HP asshat roflstomping newbs cause they suck at PVP versus equally experienced players.

Rather than a PVP flag, I think it'd be better for the game (and more realistic) if the area immediately around newbie villages and capital cities had wandering patrols of faction guards that KOS FKs and faction enemies.

That way, newbie griefers, as pissweak as they are, can kill or stealth their way into the newbie area, if they're organised/skillful enough. These guards should be a challenge to an experienced player, but definitely killable.

^This

Remove zap towers altogether or nerf their attack speed considerably and add dynamic badass guards that drop no loot placed in and in the nearby areas of the newbie starting towns and racial capitals only. They would give no skillups to players of that faction but can be hurt by them with no alignment hit or rogue status. This means that new players can help out these guards to kill reds and learn PvP with a "Buddy" guard to back them up. This system would need to be dynamic however and spawn in additional guards as the amount of racial enemies and red players increases in the very near vicinity to prevent newbie town zerging. This also means players who want to be rogue or murders can have a chance to kill someone in town and if very lucky and experienced enough be able to get outside of town. This combined with a proper alignment system based on a "red" timer that keeps increases with each racial murder to a maximum of 144 hours before they go blue again would make DF so much more enjoyable.

There's so many better ways to "shield" new players to give them a chance to skill up without adding in an arbitrary invulnerability shield that only takes away from the cut-throat and dangerous world Agon is and sets up false expectations for new players.

-Andrew
Kimoshu Grakenshalmn

Stouman
02-17-2010, 19:06
Theoretically, "new player protection" is a great idea, but...
how new is new?

Can anyone enable it?
If so, think about the fact you are basically giving anyone a two hour free pass to mine in their racial area.

Does it re-enable if you make it to an enemy racial area before the two hours is up?

MaNuRe
02-17-2010, 22:16
Worst patch ever !!
This small but still immortality has killed the essence of Darkfall by some good %s !

Keep creating these horrible patches and soon you will understand what Trammel means... It kills games, trust me !

Ragnarok Delrhe
02-17-2010, 22:18
Worst patch ever !!
This small but still immortality has killed the essence of Darkfall by some good %s !

Keep creating these horrible patches and soon you will understand what Trammel means... It kills games, trust me !

you dont even know what trammel is.

fittuz
02-17-2010, 22:37
The first thing you want to do as a newbie is to try out the game and battle out them other newbies, I would get mad if I join this game and I couldn't attack any other newb cuz theyre under protection...

Occultus
02-17-2010, 22:37
Theoretically, "new player protection" is a great idea, but...
how new is new?

Can anyone enable it?
If so, think about the fact you are basically giving anyone a two hour free pass to mine in their racial area.

Does it re-enable if you make it to an enemy racial area before the two hours is up?

The protection will only work a few hours from the first time you log on Darkfall with a new character.

tehWise
02-17-2010, 23:00
What a waste of resources to develop such a system.

Im on my 3rd day playing this game for the first time and must say the most frustrating thing I learned my first day was that my starting weapon doesn't raise skills. I even took my first 100g I made and bought a starter staff thinking it was a good investment so I'd have a weapon and staff.

After killing with both weapons for an hour and being really frustrated about not gaining skills, I finally QQ'd in chat before finding out those weapons won't give skill gains. Even the way it's worded on the weapon says something about not raising level, not skill, what's a level? I bought this game cause there aren't levels.

I was more pissed at having wasted an hour killing goblins without skill gain than I would have been being pkd, but gaining skill up to till the point of being killed. In fact I was pkd within the first couple hours in game and the guy res'd me and was real nice, said he just wanted alignment.

Sinzer
02-18-2010, 05:26
What a waste of resources to develop such a system.

Im on my 3rd day playing this game for the first time and must say the most frustrating thing I learned my first day was that my starting weapon doesn't raise skills. I even took my first 100g I made and bought a starter staff thinking it was a good investment so I'd have a weapon and staff.

After killing with both weapons for an hour and being really frustrated about not gaining skills, I finally QQ'd in chat before finding out those weapons won't give skill gains. Even the way it's worded on the weapon says something about not raising level, not skill, what's a level? I bought this game cause there aren't levels.

I was more pissed at having wasted an hour killing goblins without skill gain than I would have been being pkd, but gaining skill up to till the point of being killed. In fact I was pkd within the first couple hours in game and the guy res'd me and was real nice, said he just wanted alignment.

Doesn't it say "skill level"? It always seemed pretty self-explanitory on the starter weapon tooltips imo. Btw, that starter staff is a good investment, it means if you get caught with your pants down you can run and heal to see if someone left any of your loot without wasting the time resting.

although i haven't paid for it yet, i'm too lazy... hell, i've got over 100k and i still haven't got a second starter weapon lol.

Barf Mawg
02-18-2010, 16:42

I realised that when I was less than 5 minutes old.