PDA

View Full Version : Why is my internet so shitty now

ColonelTEE3
01-27-2010, 04:53
I live in a college dorm so i understand very basically that the allowed "amount" of internet i'm given is balanced with all the other hundreds of jack-offs in this building, but i dont know why sometimes my internet while playing darkfall is great, and some times its completely worthless.

Its not just darkfall either, just sitting in vent i can watch my ping spike to 1k and sit there for a while, drop down, bounce back, etc.

What causes this to happen? What can i do to help keep a consistently good ping while playing?

comixfan4lyfe
01-27-2010, 05:02
have you ever tried one of these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833189001

Jangang
01-27-2010, 05:19
Someone is prolley using it to upload torrents or something. Which is great when its your own connection, but sucks when your making other peoples internet suck by doing it.

CownoseCat
01-27-2010, 05:21
There is those services which like, give you a better ping.

I think they have 30 day free trials which would give you a chance to see if it fixes your problem.

Might be worth it.. I know I can't stand shitty internet. It's a very frustrating problem and I sympathize.

can't for the life of me remember what these services are called I know there are a couple competing ones. Can anyone else provide more info on this?

comixfan4lyfe
01-27-2010, 05:35
do you like comics and spam? If so go here!
http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/

ZeroCool
01-27-2010, 05:38
TCP and UDP (sp?) are the different packets your modem uses to get info to and from the internet. Downloads and websurfing are regulated by different packets than the ping in games. Im in college too, and the internet here sucks ass but my ping in games is decent.

Slypieguy
01-27-2010, 10:37
I remeber when I moved into my dorm on move-in day. I hooked up my comp and was getting 900kb/sec downloads. A week later after everyone had settled in, I was getting like 50-100 :(