PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

Villageninja
12-29-2009, 07:54
Okay, just to confirm.

I've now seen this movie in regular and 3d.

There is one word to describe it. Epic.

One can argue that the plot can get somewhat cliche... but the wonderful thing is I couldn't have cared less. The way the movie flowed, the way it was created and the way the characters were fleshed out and portrayed.... was pure genius. The cinematics throughout the movie are nothing less than jaw-dropping. I found myself literally attempting to reach for a nonexistent remote a few times in the film just to pause the movie and stare.

It has been awhile since I have watched a movie and been inspired so much that I wanted to jump into the fight myself (The Last Samurai was probably the last one, but only because I have a strong connection to that but whatever that's beside the point). It has been a long time since I watched a movie that actually had me caring what happened, and even though I knew what was going to happen once or twice... I was still glued to the screen as if to make sure that shit happened and if it didn't I'd jump into that screen and fight or something. I was pumped, and that feeling is what should define the movie experience. 2 hours and 40 minutes? It felt more like an hour. It sucks you in and never lets go man.

For me, at the very least, this movie was nothing short of pure epicness and I say that with full confidence. Hats off James Cameron, you're the fucking man.

NewRage
12-29-2009, 08:13
I'm confused... Are you trying to suck Cameron's dick, or did he suck yours to get that review?

Reckun
12-29-2009, 08:14
Yes I thought it was an excellent movie as well, of course alot of these basement dwelling angsty teenagers will probably bash you for liking it but I think it was really cool even though the plot was like you said somewhat cliche :)

Villageninja
12-29-2009, 08:47
I'm confused... Are you trying to suck Cameron's dick, or did he suck yours to get that review?

You have a thing for sucking dicks huh?

See the movie, then get on your knees and apologize because you will then realize how awesome it is. Get it? On your knees? Fuck off.

The Cougar
12-29-2009, 16:01
I saw it in 3D yesterday (had already seen it in "normal version"), and I completely agree with you. I can't remember the last time I was this entertained by a movie.

nate4449
12-29-2009, 20:47
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/255340

Followed by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnCFe3xsHs

/thread

Villageninja
12-29-2009, 20:51
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/255340

Followed by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnCFe3xsHs

/thread

Yeah, sorry but no.

Drock
12-29-2009, 22:15
You have a thing for sucking dicks huh?

See the movie, then get on your knees and apologize because you will then realize how awesome it is. Get it? On your knees? Fuck off.

It was good, but it wasnt THAT good.

Villageninja
12-30-2009, 00:16
It was good, but it wasnt THAT good.

It's good enough to at least deserve constructive criticism if any at all rather than show up and talk about sucking dicks trying to be clever.

Gloomrender
12-30-2009, 00:21
Dances with Wolv-er, I mean Smurfs.

Yin
12-30-2009, 00:26
What?! You are not hysterical and bitching about how a movie is an anti-US Eco-tree hugger unpatriotic leftist propaganda trying to glorify the traitor of his own race because he banged an enemy girl? Not to forget how its obviously pro-Palestinian anti-Israeli at places and advances a terrorism with criticism of legal militarism and full of quotes and situations that could be directly linked to cases in reality?!

Bah, you are boring. guess need to find a board with more republicans.

Kaol
12-30-2009, 00:36
I thought it was easily the worst Cameron film i've seen, cool if you like "special effects".

NewRage
12-30-2009, 02:17
It's good enough to at least deserve constructive criticism if any at all rather than show up and talk about sucking dicks trying to be clever.

Jeez, let me rephrase since you can't seem to get the idea of dick sucking out of your head. Either you are a fanboy of Cameron or you got paid off for your review... Better?

Seddoron
12-30-2009, 02:24
Shitty plot, nice effects. Making the movies more simple and numbing for casual faggots, just like what's happened to the games.

Monkeyninja
12-30-2009, 02:24
How much better was it in 3d. Seemed like a decent movie in 2d but really i was more entertained by the constant blue sideboob then by the plot... the old military dude was pretty bad ass though, kinda wish he had made the smurfs into soup

Villageninja
12-30-2009, 02:26
Jeez, let me rephrase since you can't seem to get the idea of dick sucking out of your head. Either you are a fanboy of Cameron or you got paid off for your review... Better?

Let me clear this up nice and well.

If I got paid for a review, I wouldn't be posting it on Forumfall.
I don't even pay attention to the directors of movies half the time. Leading up to the movie with all the trailers, people like you kept raving and ranting and weeping about the guy spending millions and millions of dollars on CGI and saying it was like Michael Bay throwing explosions at a movie instead of creating a plot. Clearly you are wrong, and I am giving the guy props for creating such an awesome movie (Because the vast majority of people enjoyed the movie, that makes you the angry redneck jumping up and down screaming because you can't get it).

Jog on.

Villageninja
12-30-2009, 02:33
How much better was it in 3d.

Pretty intense. You might want to be a little wary if you're prone to motion sickness but otherwise it's awesome.

nate4449
12-30-2009, 07:40
Okay, so I actually just saw the movie tonight. Two words:

Fern Gully.

Christ, I watched that shit when I was four.

Gloomrender
12-30-2009, 07:47
I enjoyed the movie, but with some pain. Because I found it hard to resist being emotional, and yet at the same time hard to relate to fully 3D characters that just don't look real. And the storyline makes a lot of assumptions about tribal civilizations, that they're super-pure and perfect, and don't kill and conquer each other, which they clearly have throughout human history. I see no reason why tribal aliens couldn't or wouldn't be just like tribal humans in the war and conquering department. I also don't think the space marines would have gone in with only maybe 20 ships (which were shitty ships by the way) to conquer an entire planet, and lost. Although the criticism of human nature, if one-sided, and unoriginal, was somewhat founded. So the movie is really very fantasy and mysticism based even though it has sci-fi pretenses, because it paints an essentially baseless picture of alien intelligent life, and mixes it with religious/spiritual notions of "spiritual interconnectedness". Don't see any of that on our planet. Maybe we are demons? That seem to be what the movie implies. Overall I give it a B.

mettstraw
12-30-2009, 08:36
Well I have seen this movie yesterday and movie is really awesome.
James Cameron done the wonderful job here. Do not miss it guys.

Beeblebrox
12-30-2009, 09:10
I enjoyed the movie, but with some pain. Because I found it hard to resist being emotional, and yet at the same time hard to relate to fully 3D characters that just don't look real. And the storyline makes a lot of assumptions about tribal civilizations, that they're super-pure and perfect, and don't kill and conquer each other, which they clearly have throughout human history. I see no reason why tribal aliens couldn't or wouldn't be just like tribal humans in the war and conquering department. I also don't think the space marines would have gone in with only maybe 20 ships (which were shitty ships by the way) to conquer an entire planet, and lost. Although the criticism of human nature, if one-sided, and unoriginal, was somewhat founded. So the movie is really very fantasy and mysticism based even though it has sci-fi pretenses, because it paints an essentially baseless picture of alien intelligent life, and mixes it with religious/spiritual notions of "spiritual interconnectedness". Don't see any of that on our planet. Maybe we are demons? That seem to be what the movie implies. Overall I give it a B.

The spiritual (biological, actually) interconnectivity was what made them different from our earthly tribal civilizations I suppose.

The marines were just hired guns for that private corp. It did look like Uncle Sam raping smurfs (and maybe that was the intention) but in reality it wasn't.

Villageninja
12-30-2009, 09:20
And the storyline makes a lot of assumptions about tribal civilizations, that they're super-pure and perfect, and don't kill and conquer each other, which they clearly have throughout human history.

As far as the tribal aliens go, if they were all spiritually connected by the same thing why would they bother fighting each other?

They're not a full rendition of a tribal civilization (though there's obviously heavy influence, and at some point I was sitting in the theater screaming "KILL THE WHITE MAN" in my head) and I think the whole spiritual connection between them all across the planet plays a heavy part in them not fighting each other. In a sense... they have direct contact with their god (Which is more than I can say for any human. I'm talkin to you mista pope) and they are superior in many ways in the movies context. That's the problem with comparing things in movies to real life examples, things are quickly taken out of context.

Villageninja
12-30-2009, 09:20
The spiritual (biological, actually) interconnectivity was what made them different from our earthly tribal civilizations I suppose.

The marines were just hired guns for that private corp. It did look like Uncle Sam raping smurfs (and maybe that was the intention) but in reality it wasn't.

Bastage, you beat me to it =P

Dredgon
12-30-2009, 10:07
Saw the movie in 3D and omg was I tripping!
It's and amazing movie, hell even think Avatar was more amazing than 300!
When I was watching it I sorta got pissed with the holy save the world crap and sided with the humans cause they were more badass.

nate4449
12-30-2009, 19:43

Honestly, they were worshipping the tree-internet for forumfall's sake. I've heard of pulling a diety out of your ass to feel better about yourself, but a network of PLANTS?

And what the hell was with Sharefeelings-usb-weiner-port that every creature in the film had? Apparently evolution decided that it would be leet to be able to plug into a predator to make an instant friend? Ugh.

nate4449
12-30-2009, 19:52
When I was watching it I sorta got pissed with the holy save the world crap and sided with the humans cause they were more badass.

I'm surprised that most everyone seems to think that the humans were the bad guys. There were at most three humans in the movie who were actually "bad", being the scarred army guy, the weiner businessman, and the obnoxious jughead with the giant machine gun. Everyone else was just a hired worker whom would otherwise be unemployed and starving on their "dying planet".

Considering that the trees are all basically mini-servers connected to a giant tree-network, I find it hard to see why killing a fraction of them is such a big deal to these dumbass smurfs. They fkin grow back. The only difference between what the humans do and what the smurfs do whence killing things is that the smurfs pray about it afterwards.

Though, it was indeed quite 'tarded that the humans simply didnt dig up from underneath the tree to get at the foating rocks, but then it wouldn't be nearly as interesting eh?

Nevron
12-30-2009, 21:45
People just can't enjoy a good movie anymore. Who made it? Who directed it? How much did it cost? Sorry, but those aren't things I give a fuck about to determine how good a movie is.

The plot's been done before, but I thought it was a great movie. I don't want Cameron's dick, and I don't care about any real life parallels, nor that the cost of making it could pay off the US deficit. Fuck all of that, don't give a shit.

Wonderboy2402
12-31-2009, 01:04
I saw it too in 3d.

Outraged that it was twelve dollars... Left thinking it was worth every penny.

Word of mouth will/has inflated this movie to $_$ level.

Shaoz
12-31-2009, 01:11
I thought it was easily the worst Cameron film i've seen, cool if you aren't retarded.

Fixed for realism.

Gloomrender
12-31-2009, 04:54
As far as the tribal aliens go, if they were all spiritually connected by the same thing why would they bother fighting each other?

They're not a full rendition of a tribal civilization (though there's obviously heavy influence, and at some point I was sitting in the theater screaming "KILL THE WHITE MAN" in my head) and I think the whole spiritual connection between them all across the planet plays a heavy part in them not fighting each other. In a sense... they have direct contact with their god (Which is more than I can say for any human. I'm talkin to you mista pope) and they are superior in many ways in the movies context. That's the problem with comparing things in movies to real life examples, things are quickly taken out of context.

You miss the point. The whole movie is out of the context of reality. It has SciFi pretenses but really It's a spiritual fantasy based on nothing alive.

The Cougar
12-31-2009, 05:07

I'm almost positive they made a reference to warring among the tribes there. The alien girl spoke of her grand(x#)father or something like that as Toruk Macto, rider of last shadow, as the one who unified the tribes after the "time of great sorrow".

Villageninja
12-31-2009, 05:12
I'm almost positive they made a reference to warring among the tribes there. The alien girl spoke of her grand(x#)father or something like that as Toruk Macto, rider of last shadow, as the one who unified the tribes after the "time of great sorrow".

That's true. They also might not have had all the spiritual connection they did back in those times. Who knows, didn't someone say this was going to be a trilogy or am I imagining things?

Gloomrender
12-31-2009, 09:39
That's true. They also might not have had all the spiritual connection they did back in those times. Who knows, didn't someone say this was going to be a trilogy or am I imagining things?

Geese. I hope not. 1 was bad enough.

timothy1238
01-02-2010, 09:51
The movie is superb. The story is predictable but the graphics are stunning

Crazy Hermit
01-02-2010, 09:58
Okay, just to confirm.

One can argue that the plot can get somewhat cliche... but the wonderful thing is I couldn't have cared less. The way the movie flowed, the way it was created and the way the characters were fleshed out and portrayed.... was pure genius. The cinematics throughout the movie are nothing less than jaw-dropping. I found myself literally attempting to reach for a nonexistent remote a few times in the film just to pause the movie and stare.

It has been awhile since I have watched a movie and been inspired so much that I wanted to jump into the fight myself (The Last Samurai was probably the last one, but only because I have a strong connection to that but whatever that's beside the point). It has been a long time since I watched a movie that actually had me caring what happened, and even though I knew what was going to happen once or twice... I was still glued to the screen as if to make sure that shit happened and if it didn't I'd jump into that screen and fight or something. I was pumped, and that feeling is what should define the movie experience. 2 hours and 40 minutes? It felt more like an hour. It sucks you in and never lets go man.

For me, at the very least, this movie was nothing short of pure epicness and I say that with full confidence. Hats off James Cameron, you're the fucking man.

This message brought to you by Avatar, the new action thriller by James Cameron

The Cougar
01-02-2010, 16:15
Geese. I hope not. 1 was bad enough.
You don't have to go see it though.

alfaroverall
01-02-2010, 17:53
Summary of my opinion:
Cliche plot was implemented pretty well. Visuals were astonishing. Would not watch outside theater (unless I had some huge screen, like 50'' or something, and a kickass stereo system).

[s]John
01-02-2010, 17:55
I found the plot really interesting. It had me sucked in the whole time. I can't imagine someone finding it boring. With the exepction of a 6 year old that doesn't understand shit and someone who is a douchebag and doesn't like it cause he thinks that he shouldnt and that it makes him a badass and smart.

Edit: there is only one thing that I don't quite get about the plot. Couldn't the humans just come back after like a month with 10 mil soldiers and wipe them out?

Erratic
01-03-2010, 09:39
3d was meh imo, while it obviously provided various instances of gimick "pop out" or stacking/staggering layers on the screen it also FORCED the focus of the screen and left WAY WAY WAY too many areas of the screen out of focus. That's bs imo...

Scandiaca
01-03-2010, 10:36
Overall, I enjoyed the movie.

While it's true that all the characters are very one-dimensional, and the plot arc has no surprises at all, the beauty and detail in the world-building more than makes up for those deficits. I'm a longtime fan of science fiction literature, and especially enjoy novels that create entirely new environments as unlike Earth as possible - Karl Schroeder's Virga series is a current favorite - and I've often felt it's unfortunate that moviegoers are largely missing out on all these fantastic fictional places. I think Avatar is a notable step forward toward fixing that problem.

Yes, I realize the planet depicted is extremely Earthlike, and the fantastic elements are all based on ideas so old they're mostly cliches in the literature. If there is one truly original idea in the film, I missed it. I realize the visuals tend towards the cartoonish at several points. I realize all these problems exist... but I still enjoyed it. It's a very fun ride, and I want to visit that planet myself.

One of the very few flicks I'd consider going to see in the theater twice.

Odium
01-03-2010, 11:43
John;3970805']I found the plot really interesting. It had me sucked in the whole time. I can't imagine someone finding it boring. With the exepction of a 6 year old that doesn't understand shit and someone who is a douchebag and doesn't like it cause he thinks that he shouldnt and that it makes him a badass and smart.

Edit: there is only one thing that I don't quite get about the plot. Couldn't the humans just come back after like a month with 10 mil soldiers and wipe them out?

They were soldiers but it was not a military operation. They were privately contracted mercenaries hired by the corporation hence why even the military leader needed the company leader's go ahead for the operation. It seems as if Cameron got tired of no one understanding his underlying message in the Aliens movies so he decided to be as blunt as possible and unrelentingly beat us over the head with it in Avatar.

thanat0s
01-03-2010, 11:44
Wrong post, sorry!

peertje
01-03-2010, 11:53
everyone keeps on telling me its a epic movie.. ivegotta go see it! in 3d ofc

syryel
01-03-2010, 12:28
In response to some points raised :
( I presume no one reading this has not seen the movie )

It's not a "plot" movie, in the sense that the situation and intentions are all set and clear at the start. It's a relational and emotional type of scenario, focused on the characters development and how they deal with that type of crisis.

The film is also more about a philosophy or worldview than about the plot; mainly being connected to Life/an All/ecology, our ancestors and basically a North-American Indian type of spirituality (so it's does remind the Dances with Wolves concept, but it's very different on many levels).

I like the fact it can directly relate to many situations in the world, since there are indigenous people who have their forest-home destroyed (currently in some parts of Asia and in Central/South-America). Of course, in general, it's about economic warfare against a minority and less powerful nation. It's not really a new situation or issue. Economic warfare is a recurring thing for humankind.

So all in all it's about empathy, justice and so on. I was just surprised that a modern Hollywood/US movie shows an indigenous people successfully rebel with the use of force against modern armed forces. In a sense, when pushed back against the wall, the only option can be to die standing/fighting. Anyhow, the 'fight back' part is not at all significant in this movie. The entire movie is about culture, sprituality, ecology, courage and how crushing others to get what you need is uncool (except if they are pixelised in DF).

Cheers

Emolas
01-03-2010, 13:15
The world Avatar describes is amazingly well put together. It's also a very beautiful movie. The plot is a bit too predictable, especially if you've seen the trailer, but when you're watching it in 3d.. You couldn't care less about the plot, it's simply that beautiful.

Mordhak
01-03-2010, 13:22
Movie was boring as fuck. Predictable to the last minute. You could immediately point out who was gonna turn into a bad guy and who was gonna turn into a good guy, who was gonna die and who was gonna marry. Dialogue was cringe-worthy. Acting was shit. The movie didn't stir any single emotion in me. Except epic boredom. And a slight tingling sensation in my ass because it fell asleep because the movie was so goddamn long. Only good things were the special effects. Even the action was lame and predictable.

But then again I guess presenting the same old cliché American action/romance stories in a new dress is a time-proven success that will stay successful forever. Movie was indeed awesome if you're a drooling retard who giggles and snorts at pretty colours. Was terrible if you have an IQ over 80.

Amaryl
01-03-2010, 19:02
graphics were awesome.

story wise, pocahontas was better

Tzacharu
01-04-2010, 01:55
I thought it was a pretty good movie. The effects were great and the story was average. I'm not gonna say its the movie of the year or anything like that, but I can't say I wasn't pleased with the movie when I left the theater.

Darknight125
01-04-2010, 08:44
Movie was boring as fuck. Predictable to the last minute. You could immediately point out who was gonna turn into a bad guy and who was gonna turn into a good guy, who was gonna die and who was gonna marry. Dialogue was cringe-worthy. Acting was shit. The movie didn't stir any single emotion in me. Except epic boredom. And a slight tingling sensation in my ass because it fell asleep because the movie was so goddamn long. Only good things were the special effects. Even the action was lame and predictable.

But then again I guess presenting the same old cliché American action/romance stories in a new dress is a time-proven success that will stay successful forever. Movie was indeed awesome if you're a drooling retard who giggles and snorts at pretty colours. Was terrible if you have an IQ over 80.

MOVIE MAJOR SPOILER BELOW

So you telling me that you could predict that after the battle between avatars and humans which the avatars was massacred and the most co stars died you expected that the Eyra creatures would join the battlefield?

in my opinion your full of bullshit

PirateGlen
01-04-2010, 09:21

So you telling me that you could predict that after the battle between avatars and humans which the avatars was massacred and the most co stars died you expected that the Eyra creatures would join the battlefield?

Pretty predicable considering how he went and
Prayed to the tree that is in fact living and connected to everything on the planet.

Was not hard to see coming.

Mordhak
01-04-2010, 12:33

Most co-stars, like who? The helicopter chick? She had like what, 10 lines in the whole damn movie. The son of the chieftain? Knew he was gonna die from the start cause he's the initial bad guy that turns into a good guy, and they always sacrifice themself for the protagonist in the final battle. Who else?

And yeah, he freakin prayed to Eywah for help. In a movie as cliché as this one, you just know this means that at the most dire moment in the final battle something "unexpected" is gonna happen.

Villageninja
01-04-2010, 13:17
Uh

Kay, enough revealing the story.

alfaroverall
01-04-2010, 14:13
Pretty predicable considering how he went and
Prayed to the tree that is in fact living and connected to everything on the planet.

Was not hard to see coming.
Another one of those things that was "duh obviously this is going to happen" but still pretty epic in context. It was looking SO bad, and then it turned around. Also in context they managed to keep things going fast enough and intensely enough that I at least wasn't thinking in those terms. Movies can work like that; things can be stupidly obvious but if they keep you immersed enough you don't notice how stupidly obvious they are.

Aragoni
01-04-2010, 14:16
Something something

Excellent use of the spoiler-tag there. Thank Eywah that I've already seen the movie.

Mordhak
01-04-2010, 16:01
Excellent use of the spoiler-tag there. Thank Eywah that I've already seen the movie.

Oh please, like there's any huge plot twists or intricit conspiracies to uncover. It's your everyday action movie plot, as done countless times before, with no original content whatsoever.

PirateGlen
01-04-2010, 16:52
Another one of those things that was "duh obviously this is going to happen" but still pretty epic in context. It was looking SO bad, and then it turned around. Also in context they managed to keep things going fast enough and intensely enough that I at least wasn't thinking in those terms. Movies can work like that; things can be stupidly obvious but if they keep you immersed enough you don't notice how stupidly obvious they are.

To be fair, I didn't think it was bad. I was just defending the idea that it was indeed predictable and not some impossible to predict twistfest.

Milo Hobgoblin
01-04-2010, 16:52
It was a good movie.. the plot was a little too predictable ans somewhat campy.

AMAZING visuals though.. holy crap. I saw it in 3D.. just amazing. Is there a sequal planned?

stony23
01-04-2010, 18:49
one of the best movies ever. of course you'll always have ppl who disagree just for the fact they're die hard shawshank redemption or godfather fans who dislike seeing other movies pushing their grail from the throne.

story is lame/boring? lol im sorry for you that you didnt get the story because there weren't enough explosion to keep you focused.

this was an exceptional remake of dances with the wolves...which had an awesome story to begin with, and of course the materialistic kids among us dont like it. good stories dont have to be overly complex. they have to have a good and believable plot that makes an ethic statement. people who dont understand much about movies often yell:" the story sucks!" because they simply dont get it.

special effects were great (not as great as 2012 but still great), the characters were all playing believable and the computer animated humanoids were the most realistic you've ever seen in any movie, you could read every single emotion from their faces.

Darknight125
01-04-2010, 19:22
Most co-stars, like who? The helicopter chick? She had like what, 10 lines in the whole damn movie. The son of the chieftain? Knew he was gonna die from the start cause he's the initial bad guy that turns into a good guy, and they always sacrifice themself for the protagonist in the final battle. Who else?

And yeah, he freakin prayed to Eywah for help. In a movie as cliché as this one, you just know this means that at the most dire moment in the final battle something "unexpected" is gonna happen.

FFS put spoilers command dont ruin the movie for those who havent seen it

Milo Hobgoblin
01-04-2010, 19:29
graphics were awesome.

story wise, pocahontas was better

Wasnt the movie basically pocohantas in space?

[LoD] EE
01-04-2010, 19:45
It was a good movie.. the plot was a little too predictable ans somewhat campy.

AMAZING visuals though.. holy crap. I saw it in 3D.. just amazing. Is there a sequal planned?

Yes, its supposed to be a trilogy.

[LoD] EE
01-04-2010, 19:50
one of the best movies ever. of course you'll always have ppl who disagree just for the fact they're die hard shawshank redemption or godfather fans who dislike seeing other movies pushing their grail from the throne.

story is lame/boring? lol im sorry for you that you didnt get the story because there weren't enough explosion to keep you focused.

this was an exceptional remake of dances with the wolves...which had an awesome story to begin with, and of course the materialistic kids among us dont like it. good stories dont have to be overly complex. they have to have a good and believable plot that makes an ethic statement. people who dont understand much about movies often yell:" the story sucks!" because they simply dont get it.

special effects were great (not as great as 2012 but still great), the characters were all playing believable and the computer animated humanoids were the most realistic you've ever seen in any movie, you could read every single emotion from their faces.

There was absolutely nothing redeeming about 2012. That person who gave that movie a green light should be marched out in front of the studio and publicly executed.

I am so happy to see if fall almost $40,000,000 short of just its production costs that hopefully any lame ass movie idea like that is never made again. Motherfuckers should have learned from "Day after tomorrow" which barely scraped by making money.

Darknight125
01-04-2010, 19:54
EE;3974037']There was absolutely nothing redeeming about 2012. That person who gave that movie a green light should be marched out in front of the studio and publicly executed.

I am so happy to see if fall almost $40,000,000 short of just its production costs that hopefully any lame ass movie idea like that is never made again. Motherfuckers should have learned from "Day after tomorrow" which barely scraped by making money.

well thats weird in wikipedia List of highest grossing films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films) it says that 2012 is 32 with $745,190,000

Gray Fox
01-04-2010, 20:53
Avatar didnt had a complex plot but it had the nice concept of mixing faith and science in a diferent way.

That movie sure opened some doors for knowledge. The concept is amazing when you start comparing movie with our current world and asking questions.

Hellsink
01-04-2010, 21:55
That movie sure opened some doors for knowledge. The concept is amazing when you start comparing movie with our current world and asking questions.

...Or you can just watch the news and start asking questions. Do we really need a fantasy film with blue indians to "open doors for knowledge"? There are libraries and a thing called "The Internet", you know. :rolleyes:

Gloomrender
01-05-2010, 00:09
ee;3974030']yes, its supposed to be a trilogy.

nooooooooooooooo.......

Lotharr
01-05-2010, 01:15
Just got back from the cinema. The plot wasn't exactly anything new. It was rather linear and even cheesy at some points. The characters also sure were obvious and one dimensional. Anyway, I enjoyed watching it. Definitely one of the most immersive movies I've ever seen. It's taking movies closer to actual experiences, away from the flat picture on a screen.

I've got the sensation that this movie will make some big things happen in the 3D movie field and that's already enough to not hate it. It's pretty much a spectacle and that's what James Cameron planned it to be

He wasn't trying to circumvent the Hollywood cliches, but instead he used them as a tool in order to reach his goal: Creating the first true, successful 3D movie. Well, he pretty much fucking succeeded. Disagree?

alfaroverall
01-05-2010, 02:11
He wasn't trying to circumvent the Hollywood cliches, but instead he used them as a tool in order to reach his goal: Creating the first true, successful 3D movie. Well, he pretty much fucking succeeded. Disagree?
I like that way of looking at it. Another way to put it: it doesn't fall victim to cliches; it uses them to create something new (which does actually have some unique qualities, despite the "raw materials" being cliche).

Stanleyxd
01-05-2010, 02:49
i saw it and this is one of the few movie that i enjoy watching from the first minute until the end. Can't wait for the blue ray!!!

Erratic
01-05-2010, 05:33
You realize that the natives in avatar were just BLUE f-ing NATIVE AMERICANS RIGHT! They rode horses, shot bow and arrows and were earth friendly, and one with the animals. Are you kidding me? They are blue native Americans! Shit, if we had enormous bald eagles native Americans would be riding the hell out of them too, just like those bastard blue people...

Anyone who claims anything positive about the story is an idiot, plain and simple...

Banok
01-05-2010, 05:49
it was kind of cliche, cheesy, tacky, predictable, unrealistic...

but still probably one of my favourite films. instead of me trying to describe why, just go watch it! its very very good at what it does even if its not your type of film you'll probably enjoy it like I did.

Lotharr
01-05-2010, 10:42
I like that way of looking at it. Another way to put it: it doesn't fall victim to cliches; it uses them to create something new (which does actually have some unique qualities, despite the "raw materials" being cliche).

Exactly! That's why I think James Cameron is such a genius. At the end of the day, it's about pushing things forward.

Vanno
01-06-2010, 02:51

Ridiculous. Godfather has what, two explosions in the whole 8hundred hours? If anything Avatar overstimulates.

NewRage
01-06-2010, 09:52
Just got back from the cinema. The plot wasn't exactly anything new. It was rather linear and even cheesy at some points. The characters also sure were obvious and one dimensional. Anyway, I enjoyed watching it. Definitely one of the most immersive movies I've ever seen. It's taking movies closer to actual experiences, away from the flat picture on a screen.

I've got the sensation that this movie will make some big things happen in the 3D movie field and that's already enough to not hate it. It's pretty much a spectacle and that's what James Cameron planned it to be

I've read so much about how great it is at showing the movie. Is it really just because it's in 3d? I thought there was some sort of story telling I couldn't imagine. If it's just the 3d, then I would have to say Beowulf was the first movie to use it well. If it wasn't for the 3d I would have thought that movie was a waste, but Grendel slaughtering the longhouse in 3d was amazing.

I like what someone else said on these boards, you guys are drawn to this like high school girls to Twilight. They like because of the sappy love story, you like it because of the ______. Fill in your own blank, graphics, cheezy spiritual story, parallelism, whatever you want. Not everyone that says they like it, but the eccentric fanbois are on the same boat as the crazy twilight fans. You're elevating a just average movie to ET status.

Lotharr
01-06-2010, 11:32
I've read so much about how great it is at showing the movie. Is it really just because it's in 3d? I thought there was some sort of story telling I couldn't imagine. If it's just the 3d, then I would have to say Beowulf was the first movie to use it well. If it wasn't for the 3d I would have thought that movie was a waste, but Grendel slaughtering the longhouse in 3d was amazing.

Like I've said before, Avatar was definitely not the first movie to use 3D. It's just that none of such movies before it were spectacles.

I like what someone else said on these boards, you guys are drawn to this like high school girls to Twilight. They like because of the sappy love story, you like it because of the ______. Fill in your own blank, graphics, cheezy spiritual story, parallelism, whatever you want. Not everyone that says they like it, but the eccentric fanbois are on the same boat as the crazy twilight fans. You're elevating a just average movie to ET status.

"You guys?" Are you implying I'm a crazy Avatar fanboy? Bitch please. Learn to interpret text. I don't think it was the greatest movie ever made. Again, like I've said before, the movie was cheesy and it most definitely included some cringeworthy scenes.

Your argument about someone liking a movie because of the factor X is quite hilariously farfetched. I mean, I could link you to a Twilight fanboy for anything you like with that retarded argument. Kind of makes it void.

I've simply said it was the first actual 3D spectacle and that it will probably push things forward simply because of its popularity. The reason I say it's a spectacle should be obvious, but to some people it seems like a mere subjective praise of the movie and its context.

I don't say that because I'd think it's the greatest film on Earth, which I sure don't, I say it because it's the already the fourth highest grossing movie ever made and it's the general center of attention in just about all cinemas right now. That's pretty much the definition of a spectacle, right? An average movie can be a spectacle, by the way.

[LoD] EE
01-06-2010, 13:18
Like I've said before, Avatar was definitely not the first movie use 3D. It's just that none of such movies before it were spectacles.

Avatar was the first movie to use 3d correctly, something other than a novelty.

All praise JC - He gave the picture depth instead of having random shit pop out at you. You want to see 3d used wrong? Watch the next Jackass movie ( and while you are at it, lock the doors and light the theater on fire to get rid of all of you wastes of society ). You want to see it done right, watch Avatar.

alfaroverall
01-06-2010, 17:51
EE;3977522'] He gave the picture depth instead of having random shit pop out at you.
There was a little bit of "random shit pops out at you", like the little flying things for instance. Not much, though. Having not seen the non-3D version I can't say anything about how much depth he gave the picture.

Xandar464
01-06-2010, 18:47
Oh no those bullets can't penetrate those huge bull type of creatures....give me a break...

holyhitman
01-06-2010, 19:40

what he said

Nevron
01-06-2010, 20:16
Oh no those bullets can't penetrate those huge bull type of creatures....give me a break...

That's not exactly beyond the scope of "reality". You can shoot a cow in the face with a low caliber bullet and it'll not penetrate. Even beyond my little real world contrast, the blue people in the movie had "naturally occurring carbon fiber" for bones, so that further increased the feasibility in that setting.

I find it odd that out of all the gripes people have with the movie, you chose that one to nitpick.

Villageninja
01-06-2010, 20:27
That's not exactly beyond the scope of "reality". You can shoot a cow in the face with a low caliber bullet and it'll not penetrate. Even beyond my little real world contrast, the blue people in the movie had "naturally occurring carbon fiber" for bones, so that further increased the feasibility in that setting.

I find it odd that out of all the gripes people have with the movie, you chose that one to nitpick.

There's also the hippopotamus, or the rhino which seems to be based on it. Or some form of dinosaur

Also taking into account that everything about the species on the planet were twice as big as anything from the human world... it's only natural everything else is doubled as well. So not only would these animals have a very thick skin but they'd have a very thick skin times two for anything human made.

Emolas
01-06-2010, 20:31
People complaining about the world's credibility.. Just lol..

It was designed in co-operation with many biologists and other types of scientists in order to make it as plausible as possible.

Napalm_Enema
01-06-2010, 20:36
People complaining about the world's credibility.. Just lol..

It was designed in co-operation with many biologists and other types of scientists in order to make it as plausible as possible.

Explain how they climbed a floating island and didn't float. And why did water fall OFF of the FLOATING island? And where did that water come from??? :ohno::ohno::ohno:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: People are such fucking idiots. It's a movie. A decent movie. I think most people are just butt hurt because they went into the movie ready to hate it, and came out realizing it really wasn't that bad. Not amazingly super awesome, but it certainly wasn't a horrible movie worthy of all the hate.

Villageninja
01-06-2010, 20:49
Explain how they climbed a floating island and didn't float. And why did water fall OFF of the FLOATING island? And where did that water come from??? :ohno::ohno::ohno:

http://pruned.blogspot.com/2006/04/leidenfrost-fountain.html

Food for thought. There's lots of things we don't really know yet.

For one, the instruments in the aircraft went haywire, that suggests some sort of magnetic field. Maybe the mountains are mostly metallic and stay suspended and hovering from an opposite charge. This would not affect water at all, but then that would beg the question where is all this water that is falling coming from? That I have no answer for.

Also, just something I've been following http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2009/12/29/the-science-of-avatar-part-ii/

A very interesting read at the least, seems to be doing weekly updates on it. There's apparently a lot of stuff I've also completely missed haha. I'm going to end up seeing this movie too many times to figure it all out

syryel
01-12-2010, 22:16
You realize that the natives in avatar were just BLUE f-ing NATIVE AMERICANS RIGHT! They rode horses, shot bow and arrows and were earth friendly, and one with the animals. Are you kidding me? They are blue native Americans! Shit, if we had enormous bald eagles native Americans would be riding the hell out of them too, just like those bastard blue people...

Quite true.

Anyone who claims anything positive about the story is an idiot, plain and simple...

I claim the story and concepts were positive and worthwhile...
(I'm not saying the plot was special, and yes it was highly predictable)

and that those who feel they are the intelligent one are more often than not the true idiots.

Xandar464
01-15-2010, 17:31

Get a bigger gun with a bigger caliber then...

It's the bloody future, they can fly to distant planets but can't even shoot down an alien rhino, give me a break.... ;)

Nevron
01-15-2010, 17:56
Get a bigger gun with a bigger caliber then...

It's the bloody future, they can fly to distant planets but can't even shoot down an alien rhino, give me a break.... ;)

You're stupid.

Rachsucht
01-15-2010, 18:09
You're stupid.

Nah, anybody expecting future weapons to shoot .22LR is stupid.

Nevron
01-15-2010, 18:17

I don't "expect" anything, I simply provided a logical explanation of the situation as provided by the movie.

The Cougar
01-15-2010, 18:25
Yes what an unrealistic movie.

1998altima
01-15-2010, 18:36

You're retarded.

Obviously the rifles given to the PMC's are meant to be used against the Avatar tribe people not the giant beasts.

You want realistic then try this...

Name one STANDARD ISSUE Mil-Spec infantry rifle that can shoot down a Black Rhino at the same range the creature was in the movie.

Rachsucht
01-15-2010, 19:17
You're retarded.

Obviously the rifles given to the PMC's are meant to be used against the Avatar tribe people not the giant beasts.

You want realistic then try this...

Name one STANDARD ISSUE Mil-Spec infantry rifle that can shoot down a Black Rhino at the same range the creature was in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK_G3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x51mm_NATO

Will fuck up any Rhino.

Or how about the infamous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7

Who is the retard now?

Edit: The RPG is obviously not a rifle but it is standard issue to infantry in many armies.

Nevron
01-15-2010, 19:25

Will fuck up any Rhino.

Who is the retard now?

Edit: The RPG is obviously not a rifle but it is standard issue to infantry in many armies.

Found this in a quick search:

For the larger CXP4 class beasts (rhino, hippo and elephant), 5,000 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy seems to be about right. Professional hunters and guides generally prefer a big bore rifle shooting solid (non-expanding) bullets in case it becomes necessary to stop or turn a charging animal. Tough, controlled expansion, premium bullets like the A-Square Dead Tough, Barnes X, Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Swift A-Frame have gained a reputation as good medicine (particularly for the first shot and often backed by a solid for the second shot).

What is left of this kind of hunting is mostly in Africa, where the following are recommended for all CXP4 game: 9.3x64, .375 Mag., .378 Wby., .404 Rimless NE, .416 Rigby, .416 Mag., .450 Nitro Express, .458 Win. Mag., .458 Lott, .460 Wby. Mag., .470 Nitro Express and .500 NE 3".

And RPG-7 isn't standard issue.

1998altima
01-15-2010, 19:28

Will fuck up any Rhino.

Who is the retard now?

Obviously you've never hunted before. Google 'rhino hunting' and you'll get the same consensus, the minimum caliber for rhino hunting is 375 Winchester Magnum. Of course you can try to kill it with 308. Win, but I'd bet you die.

I'm sure all of your experience comes from COD or some other FPS. You probably think it's a good idea to shoot at helicopters with intermediate rifle cartridges.

EDIT: The guy in Avatar was assigned to security for the scientists when he came in contact with the giant beast. You do not give RPG's or Mortars to security.

Rachsucht
01-15-2010, 19:33
.375 MAG isn't more powerful than 7.62x51mm NATO

Edit: I'm an idiot, I was thinking of .308

However, the 7.62x51mm will certainly penetrate a Rhino. While not optimal for hunting, you could definitely kill one with it.

Also, some kind of RPG is standard issue. Not for each infantryman, but certainly for a squad or platoon.

I've shot many many many rounds of 7.62x51mm NATO during my service in the Bundeswehr, I have an idea of how powerful this cartridge is.

1998altima
01-15-2010, 19:35
.375 MAG isn't more powerful than 7.62x51mm NATO

Also, some kind of RPG is standard issue. Not for each infantryman, but certainly for a squad or platoon.

L-O-L

.375 MAG is a 200+ grain cartridge. 7.62X51 maxes out at like 175 grain.

I guess you should tell the South African guides that they've been hunting with the wrong bullet.

Rachsucht
01-15-2010, 19:40
L-O-L

.375 MAG is a 200+ grain cartridge. 7.62X51 maxes out at like 175 grain.

I guess you should tell the South African guides that they've been hunting with the wrong bullet.

Already admitted that I was mistaken, doesn't change the fact that 7.62x51 will penetrate a Rhino and not bounce off.

Strangia
01-15-2010, 19:41
Already admitted that I was mistaken, doesn't change the fact that 7.62x51 will penetrate a Rhino and not bounce off.

Yes, but trying to KILL the rhino with it would be retarded.

1998altima
01-15-2010, 19:54
Yes, but trying to KILL the rhino with it would be retarded.

Rachstucht this was truly the entire point of the conversation. I did not mean to come over as aggressive but I assume I probably did.

Killing giant animals and killing people are two different jobs which most of the time require two types of firearms.

I believe most of the PMC's in Avatar were armed for the latter, which is probably why they lost the final battle.

Nevron
01-15-2010, 19:57

I've shot many many many rounds of 7.62x51mm NATO during my service in the Bundeswehr, I have an idea of how powerful this cartridge is.

We obviously have different definitions of "standard issue". Mine leans more toward the item in question being "standard".

I don't doubt that you've experience with the round, but I do doubt your experience with a rhinoceros. Either way, it was just a relative way to explain what was seen in the movie.

Rachsucht
01-15-2010, 20:00
Rachstucht this was truly the entire point of the conversation. I did not mean to come over as aggressive but I assume I probably did.

Killing giant animals and killing people are two different jobs which most of the time require two types of firearms.

I believe most of the PMC's in Avatar were armed for the latter, which is probably why they lost the final battle.

No harm done, thanks for clarifying.

We obviously have different definitions of "standard issue". Mine leans more toward the item in question being "standard".

I don't doubt that you've experience with the round, but I do doubt your experience with a rhinoceros. Either way, it was just a relative way to explain what was seen in the movie.

I'll admit, I have the same experience with Rhino hunting as flying space ships.

PrimalSign
01-26-2010, 00:20
I finally saw it.

It was good, but the whole time I couldn't help but think about the flaw that makes the Native American idealization futile and ultimately foolish. The Navi tribes managed to overcome the small force private force that was present, but they have no means to defend themselves against orbital bombardment, or other forms of combat that they have no defense against. Their lifestyle may be enough to survive as they are currently, but like the Amerindians, an outside force will be their undoing unless they adapt. The force doesn't even need to be sentient. If their sun goes boom, their species has already dug its grave by remaining content to "be in harmony with nature." We may not be ready ourselves, but at least we're trying to increase our understanding to the point we can overcome many of the natural world's whimsical trials.

Too bad for them that Natural Selection doesn't care if you make peace with other organisms, it's there to see if you can survive.

Anyways... great visuals, cliche plot, creators knew this as they named their rare metal "Unobtanium" right after the trope, Corporation douche was stupid for not seeing the possibilities in a naturally occurring network capable of storing memories, and the movie could be very preachy at times.

Still, it was pretty good.

Carnagel
01-26-2010, 03:54
I couldn't help but think about the flaw that makes the Native American idealization futile and ultimately foolish. The Navi tribes managed to overcome the small force private force that was present, but they have no means to defend themselves against orbital bombardment, or other forms of combat that they have no defense against.

This will be addressed in the sequel apparently. I'm not exactly sure how - maybe those flying mountains will be able to travel into orbit or something, or the Na'vi earth mother develops some kind of exo-atmospheric defense platform to destroy incoming kinetic projectiles / harpoons. Or they might use Sigourney's memories in the matrix to design some kind of human / machine hybrid space craft, thereby securing her appearance in the sequel

Napalm_Enema
01-26-2010, 04:14
I finally saw it.

It was good, but the whole time I couldn't help but think about the flaw that makes the Native American idealization futile and ultimately foolish. The Navi tribes managed to overcome the small force private force that was present, but they have no means to defend themselves against orbital bombardment, or other forms of combat that they have no defense against. Their lifestyle may be enough to survive as they are currently, but like the Amerindians, an outside force will be their undoing unless they adapt. The force doesn't even need to be sentient. If their sun goes boom, their species has already dug its grave by remaining content to "be in harmony with nature." We may not be ready ourselves, but at least we're trying to increase our understanding to the point we can overcome many of the natural world's whimsical trials.

Too bad for them that Natural Selection doesn't care if you make peace with other organisms, it's there to see if you can survive.

Anyways... great visuals, cliche plot, creators knew this as they named their rare metal "Unobtanium" right after the trope, Corporation douche was stupid for not seeing the possibilities in a naturally occurring network capable of storing memories, and the movie could be very preachy at times.

Still, it was pretty good.

This would only hold true if it were a true military assault. As it stood, this was a corporation funded mercenary outfit. So the Navi, once they run them off can still roll their planet.

This is supposed to be a trilogy however so who knows what will come next.

But I agree, with a concerted military assault, those arrow shooting smurfs would get worked.

Tenebrion
01-26-2010, 08:43

Simple people often have simple complaints.

Banka plixz
01-26-2010, 09:59
Yep, really awesome movie.

akrippler
01-26-2010, 22:50
To the people saying the humans will just come back: I was under the impression that the corp was hiding how they were handling the Navi situation from everyone back on earth. Since they got sent back it seemed to me that their problem would be more in the public eye back on earth now, and if the general population knew how they were handling the situation they would disaproove.

KidAgainstBully
01-26-2010, 23:13
It was okay.

http://confusedmatthew.com/Avatar.php

PrimalSign
01-27-2010, 03:05
To the people saying the humans will just come back: I was under the impression that the corp was hiding how they were handling the Navi situation from everyone back on earth. Since they got sent back it seemed to me that their problem would be more in the public eye back on earth now, and if the general population knew how they were handling the situation they would disaproove.

That assumes those people don't live in a Dystopian future where corporations run the world. If the Corporation was able to declare war upon the people of Pandora then obviously it has a great deal of state-granted powers, or at least the state turns a blind eye to that sort of thing.

If Unobtanium was a valuable resource that made Pandora worth a private army then it's likely more powerful people will be interested in going back and conquering Pandora the 'right way'.

Villageninja
01-27-2010, 03:21
That assumes those people don't live in a Dystopian future where corporations run the world. If the Corporation was able to declare war upon the people of Pandora then obviously it has a great deal of state-granted powers, or at least the state turns a blind eye to that sort of thing.

If Unobtanium was a valuable resource that made Pandora worth a private army then it's likely more powerful people will be interested in going back and conquering Pandora the 'right way'.

Maybe there isn't even a state to speak of. You assume far too much in the plot of a FANTASY movie. The humans of earth could be nothing like what they are on this planet. They could be in a state of constant war, therefore making a larger raid on a peaceful planet (Which as someone else mentioned was supposed to be an operation people didn't know about in the first place) an impossibility. How many times in human history have humans sent a full complete standing army to what they thought were going to be peaceful negotiations or some sort of trade. They were playing it off as a simple excavation/ science project and maybe the corporation that sent these humans was low on money themselves and this was a last ditch effort.

Who the fuck knows, wait for Avatar 2 and maybe it will answer that, or maybe Avatar 3 will who knows. Stop looking so much into it just to find something to hate, jesus.

PrimalSign
01-27-2010, 03:29
Who the fuck knows, wait for Avatar 2 and maybe it will answer that, or maybe Avatar 3 will who knows. Stop looking so much into it just to find something to hate, jesus.

You go into what I assume and yet make a huge conclusive leap that I'm looking to hate the movie when I'm merely discussing the possibilities... such as in the sequels.

Time for you to feel stupid.

Villageninja
01-27-2010, 03:32
You go into what I assume and yet make a huge conclusive leap that I'm looking to hate the movie when I'm merely discussing the possibilities... such as in the sequels.

Time for you to feel stupid.

Why would I feel stupid for you trying to make up reasons about a movie plot that are clearly already there, or probably coming soon?

Know what, carry on. I just feel personally that discussing the shit out of a movie kills much enjoyment people can get from actually watching the movie a few more times and trying to figure it out themselves.

PrimalSign
01-27-2010, 03:56
Why would I feel stupid for you trying to make up reasons about a movie plot that are clearly already there, or probably coming soon?

Because talking about a movie or its concepts means I hated the movie :rolleyes:

Check yourself for fanboyism please. I'm sure you'll find a terrible case has set in, otherwise you'd have no reason to rabidly attack anything that might slightly resemble criticism in your mind (though it certainly wasn't criticism of the movie), or even my reply to akrippler touching on the themes Cameron is likely going for with his trilogy.

Ironically, by discussing the ideas behind the movie, I'm showing a deeper appreciation of it than you are.

Villageninja
01-27-2010, 04:02
Because talking about a movie or its concepts means I hated the movie :rolleyes:

Check yourself for fanboyism please. I'm sure you'll find a terrible case has set in, otherwise you'd have no reason to rabidly attack anything that might slightly resemble criticism in your mind (though it certainly wasn't criticism of the movie), or even my reply to akrippler touching on the themes Cameron is likely going for with his trilogy.

Ironically, by discussing the ideas behind the movie, I'm showing a deeper appreciation of it than you are.

Discussing the movie is grand, applying real life to the fantasy plot is not. That's all I'm saying. By all means, carry on with your discussion. The only thing I was irked by (this is not unique to discussions about Avatar) is when people point out plot flaws in a movie with their logic based in assumptions of what would really happen in that situation in real life in a current time. It happens all too often and it's one of those pet peeve things that bugs the living shit out of me. (Random rage rant, not entirely your fault, but I don't feel stupid, sorry =P )

And I'm not a fanboy last time I checked... I haven't had a single thought of it till I saw someone necro this thread (Oh, and the other guy who posted somethingtrather boasting Avatar's grossing numbers).

stony23
01-27-2010, 16:23
This will be addressed in the sequel apparently. I'm not exactly sure how - maybe those flying mountains will be able to travel into orbit or something, or the Na'vi earth mother develops some kind of exo-atmospheric defense platform to destroy incoming kinetic projectiles / harpoons. Or they might use Sigourney's memories in the matrix to design some kind of human / machine hybrid space craft, thereby securing her appearance in the sequel

why does it always have to be war? maybe a little peace for a change!

88Chaz88
01-27-2010, 16:24

Because peace is boring maybe.

peertje
01-27-2010, 16:26
Okay, just to confirm.

I agree. plot was very cliche, but oh my god that was fantastic cinematics. that 3d sucks you in

stony23
01-27-2010, 16:31
Because peace is boring maybe.

i imagine in an avatar sequel, that not all of earth is willing to just nuke away all na'vi just for their unobtanium. but then again u have a point...peace is pretty boring in a hollywood blockbuster

ivan pavlov
01-27-2010, 16:37

What? Cliché you say? Proof here of Avatar's stunning originality:
http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/

1998altima
01-27-2010, 16:54
I'm bumping this shit to the front page to piss of Badem.

KidAgainstBully
01-27-2010, 16:56
It was okay.

http://confusedmatthew.com/Avatar.php

StainlessSteelRat
01-27-2010, 20:50
Anyone see it in IMAX and normal 3D?

Very good movie btw. Plot/story was rehashed but the rest made up for it.

Carnagel
01-27-2010, 23:06

After reading your post I then tried to come up with a movie that had aliens in it and was peaceful. I was a bit surprised to not be able to think of even one movie, so I googled it and still couldn't locate any

Anyone know of a movie with aliens in it that does not involve some sort of conflict?

KidAgainstBully
01-27-2010, 23:16
Star Wars!

There's no alien conflict in it.

Villageninja
01-28-2010, 04:44
After reading your post I then tried to come up with a movie that had aliens in it and was peaceful. I was a bit surprised to not be able to think of even one movie, so I googled it and still couldn't locate any

Anyone know of a movie with aliens in it that does not involve some sort of conflict?

E.T.?

I guess you could construe it as conflict but... kinda not really?

There's probably an alien based porno out there somewhere too. "Tentacle Alien strilkes Yamamoto University!" I guess that's conflict too though... damn

88Chaz88
01-28-2010, 11:14
Star Wars!

There's no alien conflict in it.

Actually there was. The empire had no aliens in their employ whereas the rebel alliance had loads.

Carnagel
01-28-2010, 12:11
E.T.?

I guess you could construe it as conflict but... kinda not really?

There's probably an alien based porno out there somewhere too. "Tentacle Alien strilkes Yamamoto University!" I guess that's conflict too though... damn

Yeah I suppose ET to a certain point had very little actual conflict, but the implication if he was discovered by 'the government' was there

Lots of japanese anime and non anime alien movies, but generally revolving around conflict

Maybe it is because the writers / producers do not think a peaceful alien movie would sell. By peaceful I guess I am saying a movie based entirely on an alien planet (aliens + earth inherently = conflict) and adventures and stuff purely involving the aliens.

Here is the question - would you go and watch a movie about an alien planet with amazing CGI and effects like in Avatar, absolutely no humans at all, and no battles or conflicts? But with lots of amazing spaceships, aliens, never seen before flora and fauna etc.

Villageninja
01-28-2010, 12:18
Here is the question - would you go and watch a movie about an alien planet with amazing CGI and effects like in Avatar, absolutely no humans at all, and no battles or conflicts? But with lots of amazing spaceships, aliens, never seen before flora and fauna etc.

It could work if there was some sort of romance thing going on. It's kind of hard to not have some sort of conflict in any movie. If there's no conflict there's really no movie. As long as you mean "physical" conflict like war and fighting then yeah it could definitely work but that would substantially change the plot and there'd have to be another reason for the movie to exist other than pretty visuals. It's beautiful but it's not beautiful enough to keep me captivated for nearly three hours with literally nothing happening.

Jubatus
01-28-2010, 12:45

Coccoon?

Carnagel
01-28-2010, 14:40
Coccoon?

Almost. They have conflict at the end when they are being chased.

It could work if there was some sort of romance thing going on. It's kind of hard to not have some sort of conflict in any movie. If there's no conflict there's really no movie. As long as you mean "physical" conflict like war and fighting then yeah it could definitely work but that would substantially change the plot and there'd have to be another reason for the movie to exist other than pretty visuals. It's beautiful but it's not beautiful enough to keep me captivated for nearly three hours with literally nothing happening.

Yes no physical conflict is what I was driving at. Jubatas came close with Cocoon but they were still being physically chased and endangered towards the end

It could be a movie about an alien race which has just developed a faster than light drive for it's starships, and using the information gained from unmanned probes sent out a hundred years earlier sets off into space and expands it's empire through colonization of empty (of civilized life) planets it has discovered, and the challenges and triumphs they have along the way

No space battles, or forcing colonization on an already inhabited planet - these guys are very peaceful beings. But it would be interesting in the way they interact, the complete alienness of their thoughts and actions, and the stunning visuals possible over multiple worlds, spaceships, and the animal life they encounter, strange discoveries on these worlds, their own home planet and how it looks (ammonium atmosphere compared to oxygen for example giving it a very different look than earth)

Although it is lacking a rigid 'storyline' as such, I think a movie like this produced using the cgi and effects from avatar with some solid directing could really be a blockbuster

KidAgainstBully
01-28-2010, 14:48
Actually there was. The empire had no aliens in their employ whereas the rebel alliance had loads.

Oh yeah.. darn.

Oh and I just recently watched E.T for the first time, I didn't get why they didn't want the government to help them.. the kid crying is eyes out and interrupting the physicians that were trying to save his life kinda bothered me, especially when the movie made it seem like the kid was doing the right thing.

Probably just me though, maybe I should rewatch it.

Oh and 2001: A Space odyssey had an alien in it I think.

88Chaz88
01-28-2010, 14:51
Dark Star.