PDA

View Full Version : New player experience in Darkfall.

Ramjesty
12-21-2009, 18:32
We came across the blog at MMOcrunch.com (http://www.mmocrunch.com/), where a player talks about his experience as a newbie in the world of Agon. Also, blogger Mordiceius (http://mordiceius.com/) talks about his share of experience while playing Darkfall, and how Darkfall fulfils a big part of his gaming needs.

xerian
12-21-2009, 18:42
Interesting

Leoron
12-21-2009, 19:32
sweet, darkfall actually got me through a really rough time and it was good to focus on something else for a bit.

Fidel Castro
12-21-2009, 19:58
third

sozen
12-21-2009, 20:51
glad to see more and more show up about df

Daggermaniac
12-21-2009, 21:38
sweet, darkfall actually got me through a really rough time and it was good to focus on something else for a bit.
Darkfall saved my marriage!

Kimaera
12-21-2009, 21:48
you've got to face the truth: it's the best game around at the moment.

Daggermaniac
12-21-2009, 21:54
you've got to face the truth: it's the best game around at the moment.
True 'dat, but despite that, and despite friends even REALIZING that, they can't get into the game because starting out as a new player sucks. No one wants to Mine ore and cut wood all day to make a few sets of armor, knowing that they are going to lose it to the first person they meet with magic. It sucks, but its true. Also, skilling up melee is a pain in the ass now-a-days, and is one of the cheapest, effective sources of damage in the game.

Furyos
12-21-2009, 21:58
[QUOTE=Daggermaniac;3948512]True 'dat, but despite that, and despite friends even REALIZING that, they can't get into the game because starting out as a new player sucks. No one wants to Mine ore and cut wood all day to make a few sets of armor, knowing that they are going to lose it to the first person they meet with magic. It sucks, but its true. QUOTE]

This is why the playerbase founded NEW on NA-1. You should have your friends look up the clan in my Signature.

telanerv
12-21-2009, 22:43
..., they can't get into the game because starting out as a new player sucks. No one wants to Mine ore and cut wood all day to make a few sets of armor, knowing that they are going to lose it to the first person they meet ...Also, skilling up melee is a pain in the ass now-a-days, and is one of the cheapest, effective sources of damage in the game.

everyone who starts an RPG should expect to be weak in the beginning....

no one has to mine ore all day, if u do it when u take a break for HPS ur just fine.

melee is a LOT easier to level now than in the past, just FYI, gets to be a pain in the ass debatably around 50 mastery.

money is also a TON easier to get

new players should just play the damn game/have fun

pvp totally new probably harder than the 5-month macroed character, but nothing makes up for good teamwork and smart play

so the way i see it for new players its a lot easier to get to a decent stage, and anyone can potentially kill great players if the situation is right

CoolDan
12-22-2009, 03:26
everyone who starts an RPG should expect to be weak in the beginning....

so the way i see it for new players its a lot easier to get to a decent stage, and anyone can potentially kill great players if the situation is right

No. You're assuming the status quo of player skill has remained the same for the past few months. In order to compete effectively on NA-1 you'll need 280+hp, 310+ stam, and a slew of stats. While NEW helps close this gap, the gap itself is still massive, and growing daily. The players who we would all agree posess endgame characters haven't stopped macro'ing or grinding.

$id Viciou$
12-23-2009, 02:13
Please put heal self, mana missile, rest, leafblade, and maybe revive in the default hotbar for people starting the game.

I think that it would be wise to put goblin weapons in some of the hotkeys and maybe a shield, food (lizard on a stick or bread), and minor pots or just health pot. I am not saying to give them this stuff to start out with . .. but I am saying that if it was in the hotbar, they will catch on to using what they have available as they loot stuff in the first quest everyone gets. They will see something appear in the hotbar as looting and think, "Hey, I can use that by pressing this button! Yay, I can read less tutorial and play more darkfall!"

It would also help teach them some essentials in this game like having potions and food hot-keyed, show them that they have a couple spells, most importantly that they can rest, revive, gank, etc. Might want to have a hotkey for a goblin staff next to wherever heal self or mana missile would be on the hotbar so that they would be able to figure quickly by a glance that they will need a staff to use those spells.

I think that this would ease the beginners experience a little bit which would be good because we all remember how hard it was starting without any help. Many just stood there to regen hp for the first 10 minutes of gameplay until seeing someone else rest for the first time, and at that point, they still do not know how to do it and are too lazy to read and would rather spend more time playing than anything else (going in the help menu, asking chat, swaring in frustration, etc.)

I dunno, just a suggestion, and I do not think it would be difficult to do.

With this game especially, someone's first-day experience is essential, and by saving new people about 10 minutes of trying to figure stuff out would add up.

Furyos
12-24-2009, 00:25
Or you could just make a sticky post by Devs guiding new players to the noobie guide and listing popular player-supported guides and services:

wikis
videos
blogs
other forums
clans NEW on US and EU