PDA

View Full Version : new player here and frusterated...game is too difficult

ARGH
12-10-2009, 23:57
i am sure alot of the fanboys are ready to reply with hate but before you do i need to say that yes, i am a fan of loot-based pvp mmo's and i am an eve online hardened pvp veteran. i mean, the heart-pounding feeling of being in danger and looting your victims is the best feeling. i would just like to vent here and make some points of what i am experiencing as practically a brand new player.

1] melee is tedious, annoying, and hurts my goddamn knuckles because i use 4 buttons on the mouse. my fingers stretch every which direction trying to keep up with crazy fast melee action. i am a right handed naturally but use left-handed mouse during FPS games. i use the arrow keys on the keyboard. to make matters worse, i play on a laptop and as you can imagine the keyboard is small. also, the game does not recognize the right side shift and Ctrl buttons so i cannot map them to anything. i normally map these to something in FPS games. i am not sure i can continue playing the game because of this knuckle pain. maybe i am getting too old for gaming. i don't know.

2] the quests are too damn hard. everything was going fine for the first 20 quests or so and was learning quite a bit. killing the goblins at first was challenging and fun. then came the quest to kill the hivekin and it's queen. this is impossible to solo without good gear so i asked for outside assistance which got the job done. the fact that i am scared of dying and getting looted to the other fact that i am still learning the game detracted me from wearing my good rank 20 gear that i looted off some idiots who got killed by the gaurd tower in starter town. so as you can imagine i was going to the hivekin queen in cheap, almost starter-like gear. now after i finished this quest comes another quest where it wants me to kill centuars i think. i asked around and these cannot be solo'd either so i am pretty much stuck and cannot advance in the quests. this is forcing me to bind to my clan's fortress and figure out if i can maybe team up with others to do some group pve. problem is that this process takes long and with wife and kids nagging at me on a daily basis i really could have benefited from more solo questing.

3] the lack of localized markets and auction house means that all trading must be done face to face. this is not acceptable. i don't have time to commit into spamming the trade channel while playing the game normally. this is an unnecessary timesink.

4] the lack of gear and item descriptions when buying / crafting. the npc vendors say nothing about gear stats. what's the difference between an apple and bread? does all food do the same thing? i am left not knowing what the fuck to do with buying or crafting anything. i don't like the game to hold my fucking hand but don't stab me in my throat either.

5] i got into my first encounter in pvp. it started off cool and interesting. came up to the target and he ass-raped us without lube. i don't mind being killed, we deserved it. what frusterated me was that the target zig-zagged like a goddamn pinball during his melee butchering and i could not tell what the hell was going on. they really need to slow this melee combat down and put some goddamn weight into these characters or something.

6] vegetation density is client-side. this setting should not even be an option for the client. it would have been nice having the bility to sneak up on targets in the shrubbery but i guess not. also, turning this down to the lowest setting makes the game look below average.

so this morning i woke up with pain in my knuckles and realized it was the game....goddamnit.

:bang:

Pancakebuddy
12-11-2009, 00:07
I agree with 3 and 4.
The rest your just complaining about being bad.

screw loose
12-11-2009, 00:11
1) I dont mean to be too obvious but this sounds like your fault, you should really try a more normal configuration. You will need a lot of keys on the keybaord besides movement later on.

2) Darkfall is not about questing, do the first few to learn the game and then move on. It's a sandbox which has little train tracks, you have got to make your own fun and decide what you would like to do. Being in a guild will give you some guidance if you cant figure it out on your own.

3) Yes this is fairly true, but again being in a guild will help with trading and things. or simply being in a populated starter city. I know that most of the Orks/Mahirims live in Mahirim area for example.

4) I don't remember the vendor tooltips but all of the info can be found at the station its crafted at. For example: Food, at the oven you can see all of the food and their details. Duration on things like apples aren't given because they are generally used to make real food like Apple Pie. Food regens health/stamina faster, all food does this at the same rate. The difference in food is how long that buff lasts. Friend lobster 15 minutes and berries for like 20 seconds.

Also, armor and weapon attributes are found at the appropriate station. However I do believe the tooltip is in the vendor window. Did you try mouse'ing over and holding to wait for the tooltip? Please explain the dilemma a bit more.

5) Strafing: Do not use "Left" and "Right" because you can not sprint in a diagonal direction. Instead sprint forward and zig zag your mouse. The commonly used melee strategy is doing sprint like circles and where you meet your enemy you swing, you then run away to try and dodge their hit.

6) While it seems an imbalance, some computers cannot handle it. Vegetation density really only effects grass. Bushes/Rocks/Trees are static and cannot be taken away. Hiding in the grass does not really work anyways, try using a thick bush or something solid.

You might be too old ^_^

warriorswar
12-11-2009, 00:15
6] vegetation density is client-side. this setting should not even be an option for the client. it would have been nice having the bility to sneak up on targets in the shrubbery but i guess not.

I totaly agree with this point.

vanyok
12-11-2009, 00:20
i use the arrow keys on the keyboard. to make matters worse,

For melee.. this is your biggest problem. You're simply are not going to be able to play Darkfall with this setup. You’ll need to use half of the keyboard for various bindings down the road and using cursor arrows to move ( lol? ) will get you killed every time.

You’re obviously coming from WoW-like MMOs where you don’t have to click/do much but select the target and autoattack. I can also tell that by your desire for local auction houses. Sorry... .not in this game. You HAVE to meet the person and risk getting killed and loosing stuff to trade something.

Lack of gear ? huh ? It cost 20 leather and 9 ingots to craft full set of studded armor. WTF are you talking about ?

PvP.. again, sorry no click to target and auto attack here. You actually have to move around and fight. I mean I REALLY want to hear what kind of fight style do you expect to see ?

[QUOTE] lowest setting makes the game look below average.[\QUOTE]

Uhmmm... then don’t ?

acetyx
12-11-2009, 00:21
1 - yes, controls of this game has a little bit heavy feeling. Swapping all the bars, wapons, clicking mouse after ability selection... I have done myself a lot of autohot key scripting to make it better...

2 - I have never done a single quest in this game.. boring, grind party...

3 - yeah, trading is pain in the a** and time sink... O only use trade channel etc when I need smth very much... and its almost never quick :( but its the part of the game... this is not WOW like - all in this game takes some time, needs patience...

4 - i dont have problems with this...

5 - yes, but its like the game is... better start to teach more.. you should try to never use strafing,, sprinting and waving your mouse like hell is much better!
If they slow down the fights run speed, it will be HUG disadventage against archers ang mages. So thats not possible. You just have to get used to it like everyone did. It will come, experiment with mouse setting, keyboard control layout etc...

6- not a good idea, some of the players should have problem with FPS.. :( but there is definitelly a little lack of diversity, with all the towers in the cities etc.

Caaahl
12-11-2009, 00:22
As much as i like to see many new players; i have to quote good old Tasos in this case:

Darkfall isn't for everyone.

vanyok
12-11-2009, 00:22
2) Darkfall is not about questing, do the first few to learn the game and then move on. It's a sandbox which has little train tracks, you have got to make your own fun and decide what you would like to do. Being in a guild will give you some guidance if you cant figure it out on your own.

This.

Again and again dude, forget about WoW-like MMOs. You're going to have to change your mindset if you want to succeed here. This is a different game.

KuraM
12-11-2009, 00:31
I'm going to have to agree with the sprint-spazzing melee point, its really annoying to try and hit players that do that.

vanyok
12-11-2009, 00:36
I just tried controlling my mouse with the left hand ( being a righty ). Holly shit, how do you do it ? :D

Kenkain
12-11-2009, 00:49
Damn man, This game just isn't for you.

Darkfall isn't really for Everyone. It caters to a certain subset of the MMO community which largly consits of old UO players.

1 - The way you remat the keys is kinda your own deal, if its not working then try something else. it's designed for a WASD config and thats what works.

2 - The quests are a tiny subpoint of the game, not really a focus. This is a sandbox style game not a themepark style game. The quests are next to meaningless. You'll be able to complete them as you advance.

3 - Auction houses RUIN game economies. Way better off without them. The old UO style was the best setup. Player Vendors and Open trade on channels.

4 - This I do agree with. More info about items would be helpfull. especially when it comes to food.

5 - Yes you are going to get torn appart in solo PVP at this point, It takes time to get the nessesary skills and practice to be competative. Thats the reality of it.

6 - This is just a issue of scaleability opf the system requirements. they need it to be as expansive as possible.

Jangang
12-11-2009, 01:38
I use (well when i played) the arrow keys as well. It bugged me that you couldn't bind anything to the right shift, or control in game as well.

FIX THAT AV...

But you can find the config file (I don't recall where or what its called) and edit it manually, allowing you to bind those keys. Keep a backup somewhere so if a patch undoes it you can quickly redo it.

Bandulu
12-11-2009, 02:29
I havent even played this game yet, but for #2 I'd suggest going to another race's lowbie zone to do their starter quests.

I read you can do that in the re-review on mmorpg.com, and its doable in other MMO's. (Example: If you're Ork, go to Mahirim starting zone)

Use some initiative.

Jathen
12-11-2009, 02:35
I havent even played this game yet, but for #2 I'd suggest going to another race's lowbie zone to do their starter quests.

I read you can do that in the re-review on mmorpg.com, and its doable in other MMO's. (Example: If you're Ork, go to Mahirim starting zone)

Use some initiative.

Hell ya. A 30 minute run to another starting city sounds great (30 minutes if you dont get ganked lol).

New players get the sharft in darkfall. Yes the quest are broken as 80% of them cannot be completed by new players.

Tenebrion
12-11-2009, 02:43
OP : join a guild.

Cryb0rg
12-11-2009, 02:52
Your joindate is june 2006! You should already know the stuff you're being told if you have been following.

Some points I agree with you about, like the lack of polish/concistancy in the tooltips for example, and the annoying circle-sprinting melee, but you just gotta keep at it. You seemed to solve most of your problems when you talked about teaming up with others.

In every MMO the harder mobs are not soloable. If that's the case then get more people/get better. If you don't like that then abandon the quests and get into a guild. Join NEW and they'll show you the ropes better than you can yourself.

Narcowski
12-11-2009, 03:12
1: I use 6 mouse buttons (7 if you count my vent ptt key) and have absolutely no problem with combat at all. You really shouldn't be trying to play any FPS-style game with the arrow keys though. It's just a bad move; you gimp yourself by removing access to buttons you'll need eventually (as if you don't need them now).

2: If you can't complete a quest, you have a few options, the main two being (i) come back to it when your skills are higher and (ii) get a group together to do it. I can solo Hivekin (queens included) no problem with a dawnstaff and mana missiles.

3: Disagree. Not only could you use player's vendors to find the items you need, there is also a subforum (two actually) explicitly for trading - post there and get your deals set up ahead of time so you don't have to spam /trade. All trade should involve risk; Auction Houses are a bad idea™.

4: You can see the base stats of an item when crafting it. I agree that the stats of vendor-purchased armor should be displayed as well, though.

5: This sounds like a problem with your lack of PvP experience to me. It doesn't seem fast at all once you've been through enough. Movement speed is necessary as balance versus ranged attacks anyways.

6: Agree somewhat; the biggest issue with this change is that it would remove some people's ability to play (specifically those on worse computers).

ARGH
12-11-2009, 03:18
As much as i like to see many new players; i have to quote good old Tasos in this case:

you got it wrong. he meant that full loot pvp games are not for everyone.

Anaros
12-11-2009, 03:22
To be honest, I was like ' ok, ok, meh, hmn. . . troll' If it's honest here than refer to previous "Darkfall is not for everyone"

Realbigdeal22
12-11-2009, 04:08
OK, darkfall pvp is too fast for you. You cant keep up. PVE avekin peace you off when they are quite easy soloing for must of us. Move on, darkfall is not for you. YOu got some problem with the keyboard too it seem. Maybe you too old like you mentioned. Go back to eve online, a target base game where you dont have to worry about fast paced action.

acetyx
12-11-2009, 04:24
I dont like how this community on forum behaves :sly:
Instead of beeing glad of every new soul who can be potentialy long time player, you simly say move on?

I know some features or parts of the game are touchy, but this is not right...

What about to give this guy som newbie tips, or links to newbie guides?
here:
http://www.dfguide.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/darkfall-guide

Hopefullly you gonna enjoy the game after overgoing your few problems...

wormw00d
12-11-2009, 06:06
game might not be for you. number 1 you play on a lap top with a shitty mouse and a lefty set up...that is your problem.

number 2, while I understand that you are new and some junk armor that you looted off some random is important to you, within a few weeks you will have so much "junk armor" that you will laugh at yourself for caring about the shit loot you have atm.

number 3... the game is overwhelming at first and isn't designed with gradually introducing you to the mechanics. You have to plow through it and learn shit the hard way or ask questions.

Coming on the forums and bitching about your arthritis is liable to get you nothing constructive in reply.

learn to play the game and enjoy it for what it is..which will take some time, and keep your bitching constructive or go back to eve...

bartillo
12-11-2009, 06:42
I would join NEW, they are very helpful.

Patriota
12-11-2009, 07:49
i agree 2(kind of, some time you must party bro, ever mmo is like this), 4 and most with the 6 option, the other ones you just have to learn more about the game and i'm pretty sure you'll see how good those things are for the game.

ARGH
12-11-2009, 07:51
i re-binded the movement keys to the numberpad and had a more enjoyable experience. i used the arrow keys with my right thumb to crouch, parry, and sheath. the way a laptop's keyboard is placed the arrow keys comfortably using the numpad. i only have to use 3 buttons on the mouse now instead of four. the problem was the parry button was worked with my index finger and that is what caused the pain as i parry quite often in combat but this might not be a good tactic. everyone seems to be using two-handed weapons rather than classic sword and board and i am not sure why.

ZNICK
12-11-2009, 08:02
I'm new too... 1st week, and I agree, there is a BIG learning curve. To me, the worst is having to click so many time to do anything... open GUI, close GUI, change from 3rd person to 1st person, bleh bleh.

Heck, I have to click FOUR time to rest when I'm mining, lol. FOUR! It should be ONE click. The hotkey system is terrible... click the skill "then" click the mouse to use it? Bleh.

I feel the control system is poor at best...

However.

Each time I play it gets a little easier, and I find it getting more intuitive. It's not a good setup, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. The game is immersive... because of the choices you get. You don't go from town 1 to town 1.5, to town 2, doing the same thing for 50 levels with mobs that happen to have different skins.

There's no levels, no "classes"... you are who you are... and to me, that rocks, and I'll take the time to get used to downsides. One of the biggest problems for a lot of us, are too many years of "tab , 1,2,3".

I "do" agree with number 3 above though... I LOVE to play a "merchant" character, and it's tough here, from what I can tell. I was a gazillionaire in UO, but UO had perma-runes, so I could go from town to town with a few reagents... here, (I don't think) there's a way to do that.

Play two weeks, then come post again.

Z

vodnik
12-11-2009, 08:05
I guess you've got a point with 4.

The rest of your problems are not problems, they're you being and asshat.

QQ moar.

vodnik
12-11-2009, 08:07
Oh, and yeah. You complaining about #1 is like a guy complaining that he has to use a real joystick when playing IL2, when a mouse and keyboard work just fine in BF2. It's retarded.

shook
12-11-2009, 08:37
join NEW, ask questions about the things that are bothering you. There is a lot to learn and you seem to just be going through growing pains in the world of darkfall.

Xancha
12-11-2009, 16:42
DF is complex game and it takes a lot of practice to improve but if you like challenge and do not mind get killed over and over and never stop trying to improve in no time you will become better.

I am one of players that love pvp and know almost all what I need to do ,when and how but I am way to slow and start to panic even after years of pvp in UO.
I still have a lot of fun with clan mates and try to be useful during group fights .. 1v1 is nothing for me for now ... if player is not afk all almost dead :P

You will be fine once you find your place in game and learn game mechanics and develop your char a little more.Join clan but do not be afraid to lose your stuff and engage fights.Try to not become part of zerg .In 5v1 you will not learn anything .

Good luck and if you like DF do not give up.

Traveller_
12-11-2009, 17:12
3 - Auction houses RUIN game economies. Way better off without them. The old UO style was the best setup. Player Vendors and Open trade on channels.

Replying to this message just because it's the first I saw.

While I do agree with the fact that part of what the OP doesn't like in the game is part of what MAKES the game (most notably the FPS part) most of the replies here show no clue either.

Guys, the OP comes from EVE online, for god's sake. By saying stuff like "this game is too complex for you", or "it ruins economy" you just look like a five years old child trying to teach nuclear physics to Albert Einstein. But if you want to look silly, be my guest.

Dunmer
12-11-2009, 17:16
Welcome to Darkfall.
<3

sox3502us
12-11-2009, 17:45
Hey there,

im not exactly a vet(been playing about 1.5 months) but let me offer some help.

for 1) I suggest you purchase one of these
http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-keyboards/gamepad.php
as I'm in an almost identical situation as you and it has helped out immensely.

for 2) the quests are only really good to initally get you some gathering gear and gold. after that you pretty much should just find a good camp that you can handle (with friends if possible) and kill some stuff in your difficulty range.
this isn't wow and is NOT quest based at all.

3) i find that i do 99% of my trading within my clan/alliance and you should too. The markets are local, but most of the time you wont need to trade outside of your clan.

4) agree on these, but your clan should be able to guide you and help you out initially.

5) same complaint you will have in any fps, DF is more FPS than it is typical MMO.

6) turn it down and turn shadows off if you want to be able to see whats going on. IF you want to gimp yourself, crank them up.

vanyok
12-11-2009, 18:22
Heck, I have to click FOUR time to rest when I'm mining, lol. FOUR! It should be ONE click.

Z

Wait a second.. how do you do that ? You're doing something wrong.
Are you familiar with key bindings ?

ZNICK
12-11-2009, 18:47
Wait a second.. how do you do that ? You're doing something wrong.
Are you familiar with key bindings ?

I hope I AM doing something wrong, lol...

When I'm mining, to rest, I have to click to leave GUI mode, hit "r" to go to 1st person, hit the hotkey for "rest", then left click to sit down.

Is there another way?

Z

VooDoo Hex
12-11-2009, 18:57
I'm going to have to agree with the sprint-spazzing melee point, its really annoying to try and hit players that do that.

I guess it would be safe to say that thier tactics are better then yours then eh?

Makgyver
12-11-2009, 19:00
I stopped using arrows keys in 96

vanyok
12-11-2009, 19:12

When I'm mining, to rest, I have to click to leave GUI mode, hit "r" to go to 1st person, hit the hotkey for "rest", then left click to sit down.

Is there another way?

Z

I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it anymore... I guess it does take four clicks assuming that you were in "GUI mode" while gathering... whatevah, not a big deal >_<

btw, to you and especially OP, I'd suggest binding GUI toggle to the mouse wheel click and binding right click to the parry skill. Don't use that button on your numpad, use the right mouse click to Parry instead.

VooDoo Hex
12-11-2009, 19:13

Is there another way?

Z
sheath weapon >> hit rest key bind >> click mouse. three moves.

Or buy a g13 and make macro to do it with one g key like I do. :D

Arkus
12-11-2009, 19:25
I just tried controlling my mouse with the left hand ( being a righty ). Holly shit, how do you do it ? :D

thats why he gets face fucked

Bloodelust
12-11-2009, 19:54
Ignore the fan bois for a second and let me say that I have a feeling the game with ease up with mob difficulty real quick here. If not then the game is no longer noob friendly at all.

Goblins are about the only easy mob in the game now, even trolls are much harder and the next step is nearly impossible for a noob. I've been working GS since the polearm nerf on troll shamans/lord and with plate armor, 100s in all defensive skills and I have a few close calls. All I can say is I don't envy new players.

AV has said repeatedly that they were making mobs easier and more profitable. 3 times in a row they have done the opposite. I still don't understand why AV doesn't take a 4 lesser fire camp and make it 15 mobs with 2-3 linked unless someone is stupid enough to run thru the middle. Instead they just made the 4 camp into 3... made them harder to kill and slightly more profitable. So we have 1 less mob, the time to kill is probably about the same, the gains are better for 3 but not to offset losing the 4th AND there is still a wait for the respawn... How is this better AV?

Increase spawns per camp, make them easier and more profitable so people are IN the camps farming for mats to drive the economy and the PKs are out hunting those players. Instead the vets are working new melee weapons to replace their nerfed polearms in lowbie camps and the noobs are wondering why they bought the game.

Where is SONY when you need them?

Caaahl
12-11-2009, 20:09
you got it wrong. he meant that full loot pvp games are not for everyone.

nope.

Darkfall isn’t for everyone after all [...]

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185060

:ninja:

vanyok
12-11-2009, 20:19
Goblins are about the only easy mob in the game now, even trolls are much harder and the next step is nearly impossible for a noob. I've been working GS since the polearm nerf on troll shamans/lord and with plate armor, 100s in all defensive skills and I have a few close calls. All I can say is I don't envy new players.

AV has said repeatedly that they were making mobs easier and more profitable. 3 times in a row they have done the opposite. I still don't understand why AV doesn't take a 4 lesser fire camp and make it 15 mobs with 2-3 linked unless someone is stupid enough to run thru the middle. Instead they just made the 4 camp into 3... made them harder to kill and slightly more profitable. So we have 1 less mob, the time to kill is probably about the same, the gains are better for 3 but not to offset losing the 4th AND there is still a wait for the respawn... How is this better AV?

Increase spawns per camp, make them easier and more profitable so people are IN the camps farming for mats to drive the economy and the PKs are out hunting those players. Instead the vets are working new melee weapons to replace their nerfed polearms in lowbie camps and the noobs are wondering why they bought the game.

These QQ posts are driving me bananas.
Purchase the game first. Until we see your US/EU player tagged under your name no one's even going to care to listen. I spent last night soloing ( without a problem ) Earth eles, Warthains, Runewielders, Varagian Guards.. etc.. etc..
My defense/melee skills are far from 100s

Bloodelust
12-11-2009, 20:25
LMAO, fan bois really make me laugh. You guys and your dependancies on a forum name to prove playership... Never mind ANYONE playing the game and familiar with lesser fires, or troll shamans could easily confirm that 4 spawns were turned into 3s. But that would require you to think instead of cutting and pasting your pre-written reply for anyone bashing the whole reason for your existence.

GG you win DF biggest fan and life's biggest loser.

Oh and notice that NOWHERE did I say I was having problems with the mobs. I was being sympathetic to a new player having problems. Pull your head out and try to see it from a new player's view.

johnnyc3po
12-11-2009, 20:28
Ignore the fan bois for a second and let me say that I have a feeling the game with ease up with mob difficulty real quick here. If not then the game is no longer noob friendly at all.

Hey, what part of Boston are you from? I was just visiting my buddy that lives in cambridge right off Mass Ave.

Bloodelust
12-11-2009, 20:36
I'm from SoCal but was living in Cambridge near Porter until I got married and moved outside the city to the West.

If you like beers, there are alot of good pubs in the area like Bukowski's in Inman or Christophers in Porter with their excellent rotating taps. The women are better in SoCal but Boston has steak tips... mmm mmm steak tips!

vanyok
12-11-2009, 20:50
Hell yeah I'm a fan, a lot better than being a complainer and a shit talker like yourself. Love this game. I don't believe I made
any what you call "fanboi" comments though.. everything is based on facts and mobs ARE killable even by newer players. Earth eles , for example, were easily going down to
slashing, piercing, fire and lightning. The only problem here is that mew players might not know about it, some one needs to tell them.

Also yes, I did notice that Earth Elementals spawns ( for expample ) was reduced to 3 mobs instead of 4 :(

Bloodelust
12-11-2009, 21:12
These QQ posts are driving me bananas.
Purchase the game first. Until we see your US/EU player tagged under your name no one's even going to care to listen.

Sounds pretty informative to me...

I see no problem in higher level mobs needing tactics to kill, or even help in the form of other players. But as the majority of the posts have stated, make the payoff worth the effort. Congrats you can kill an EE with piercing, lightning, crushing, etc. How many of those does a brand new player have? 1 or 2 at best and none worth much in the way of DPS. Now I'm not saying a noob should kill an EE even within a week of joining the game but put yourself in a noobs position with cloth or leather armor, switch to a weapon line you've never used and even with your inflated HPs and defense see how easy they die or better yet, you.

If you can't understand that people might actually make comments for the greater good of the community then I can't help you. I actually prefer the mobs being tougher as I level my GS, it means they live longer and I get mobs swings per round. But then that makes too much sense and people only QQ for their own benefit right?

vanyok
12-11-2009, 21:38
Sounds pretty informative to me...

That was addressed at you, not OP but whatev...

I totally understand your point but here is my question to you ( and you sort of answered it when said that "I'm not saying that newbs should be able to solo EE")...Do you really think that new players should be able to kill Medium - Hard mobs right from the start ?
Lets look at title quests for a minute:

Tier 1 for title quests requires you to kill:
Goblins, Zombies,Skeletons, Kobolts, Akathars

Easy ? Very! Plus, all these mobs give you a crap load of enchating mats, reagents, weapons...etc, etc, etc.

Tier 2:
Trolls, Centaurs, Skeletons, Windlords, Elementals

Easy ? Not as Tier 1 mobs but I think they are VERy duable by a 1-2week old character, especially trolls and Skeletons.

Tier 3:
Hobogoblins, Crypt guards, black knights, Raptors, Revenauts, grave lords, deathless mages...etc

Easy ? Not anymore. Now there are the mobs that will require you to find weaknesses to kill them.

Now I used title quests just as an example to show that there are plenty of mobs to kill out there for new players. They don't have to follow this or do any of these quests but in general this is the line of progression that new players should follow IMO.

Or even better.. find some friends, clan and go out PvE together.

Bloodelust
12-11-2009, 21:55
You answered it yourself, of course I don't think a noob should kill anything beyond trolls for a while. Make a noob group and tackle harder but not solo. Here's the problem though, players should be able to have some mobs to be able to play solo. The instant a game takes out solo-ability, the game dies. People login, see noone is on and log out since they can't kill on their own.

I don't know how long you have been playing but I have been around long enough to get some of the easy-mode before they nerfed all kinds of gains. I didn't get acid pools or stuck mobs but swimming gains, noob weapon gains, mana missle spam for INT. Most of us have no clue how much harder the game is now although there are parts that are much easier.

Prior to the expansion, I thought the mobs were great minus more in camps and slightly better drops. It seems like in an attempt to make the game more challenging they also screwed the brand new players. That's not a good trade off.

riffordy
12-12-2009, 09:05
i was thinking that this game is getting too easy.

They practically took out the grind AND now there is a NEWb clan? pff

times have changed since i was a young grinder

all i read was the first post...

why not play with a right handed mouse with 2-3 buttons like a normal person..

get a normal sized keyboard

stop being a baby

lillis
12-12-2009, 09:20
For the food stats:

All fish: 2 min
Bread: 3 min
Meat jerky: 5 min
Apple pie: 5 min
Fried lobster: 10 min
Carrot soup: 15 min
Meat stew: 15 min
Sausage: 15 min
Omelet: 15 min
Sheperd's pie: 20 min

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=r4w-x_H4FZM-80qjt1Sv5Bw&gid=9

-fionn-
12-12-2009, 09:29
the fact that i am scared of dying and getting looted to the other fact that i am still learning the game detracted me from wearing my good rank 20 gear that i looted off some idiots who got killed by the gaurd tower in starter town.

Hehe that made me laugh, I sometimes forget what it was like in the beginning when you thought r20s were good.

Seriously though, to fix your problems .. learn how to play with wasd(even if you hate it at first) and buy yourself a better mouse that doesn't hurt your hand when you are playing. Using a left handed mouse when you are right handed sounds like an amazingly bad idea. :)

Then join a good guild and you go hunting with them, you'll soon have a huge stock of dropped rank 40s and a healthy gold stack. Farming mobs with rank 0 weapons is the reason you find it so difficult. You can easily use rank 40s as a new player these days once you hit some mob spawns with more experienced players.

Qui Larek
12-12-2009, 10:41
Damn man, This game just isn't for you.

Darkfall isn't really for Everyone. It caters to a certain subset of the MMO community which largly consits of old UO players.

Erm not entirely true, my background is SWG WoW AoC and I havent had an issue picking the game up really easily. Yes the full loot is new to me but it isnt a hard concept to fathom now is it.

Darkfall appeals to a wide range of players but as they say, not everyone.

Torpid
12-12-2009, 18:33
Instead of being a complete dickface, I will try to answer a few questions :D The community here is definitely not like EVE's, so finding a more laid back crowd who won't say "GO BACK TO WOW YOU NEWB!" is a quest in itself :idea:

i am sure alot of the fanboys are ready to reply with hate but before you do i need to say that yes, i am a fan of loot-based pvp mmo's and i am an eve online hardened pvp veteran. i mean, the heart-pounding feeling of being in danger and looting your victims is the best feeling. i would just like to vent here and make some points of what i am experiencing as practically a brand new player.

1] melee is tedious, annoying, and hurts my goddamn knuckles because i use 4 buttons on the mouse. my fingers stretch every which direction trying to keep up with crazy fast melee action. i am a right handed naturally but use left-handed mouse during FPS games. i use the arrow keys on the keyboard. to make matters worse, i play on a laptop and as you can imagine the keyboard is small. also, the game does not recognize the right side shift and Ctrl buttons so i cannot map them to anything. i normally map these to something in FPS games. i am not sure i can continue playing the game because of this knuckle pain. maybe i am getting too old for gaming. i don't know.
You can rebind certain keys that will not rebind via the gui. You do so by searching the gui (input options) and finding the ability etc you would like to remap. For example if you wanted right control to parry you can type this in /bind RIGHT_CTRL a_Parry Another way of doing this is going into the input_persistance.xml file and editing it directly there. This can be found in C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\Application Data\Darkfall\Character\0\randomstringof numbers\ (note this is the path for XP, I believe Vista is C:\Users\<yourusername>\App Data\Roaming Profile\Darkfall (not 100% sure here but its similar to this path). I agree the GUI could use some work :)

2] the quests are too damn hard. everything was going fine for the first 20 quests or so and was learning quite a bit. killing the goblins at first was challenging and fun. then came the quest to kill the hivekin and it's queen. this is impossible to solo without good gear so i asked for outside assistance which got the job done. the fact that i am scared of dying and getting looted to the other fact that i am still learning the game detracted me from wearing my good rank 20 gear that i looted off some idiots who got killed by the gaurd tower in starter town. so as you can imagine i was going to the hivekin queen in cheap, almost starter-like gear. now after i finished this quest comes another quest where it wants me to kill centuars i think. i asked around and these cannot be solo'd either so i am pretty much stuck and cannot advance in the quests. this is forcing me to bind to my clan's fortress and figure out if i can maybe team up with others to do some group pve. problem is that this process takes long and with wife and kids nagging at me on a daily basis i really could have benefited from more solo questing.
Quests progress pretty fast from a newbie perspective. I would say its like hitting Level 3-4 combat missions in EVE within a handful of quests. I would recommend grouping like you did or coming back later when your character developes more.

3] the lack of localized markets and auction house means that all trading must be done face to face. this is not acceptable. i don't have time to commit into spamming the trade channel while playing the game normally. this is an unnecessary timesink.
I totally agree here and wish there was a browse-able market!

4] the lack of gear and item descriptions when buying / crafting. the npc vendors say nothing about gear stats. what's the difference between an apple and bread? does all food do the same thing? i am left not knowing what the fuck to do with buying or crafting anything. i don't like the game to hold my fucking hand but don't stab me in my throat either.
This should help some
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=r4w-x_H4FZM-80qjt1Sv5Bw&gid=22
Another decent site with good info is
http://darkfallinfo.wetpaint.com/

5] i got into my first encounter in pvp. it started off cool and interesting. came up to the target and he ass-raped us without lube. i don't mind being killed, we deserved it. what frusterated me was that the target zig-zagged like a goddamn pinball during his melee butchering and i could not tell what the hell was going on. they really need to slow this melee combat down and put some goddamn weight into these characters or something.
Game is a click/sprint fest, not sure if they are looking into making combat more fun/strategy. However, I like the current system and think a little tweaking would fix it right up :)

6] vegetation density is client-side. this setting should not even be an option for the client. it would have been nice having the bility to sneak up on targets in the shrubbery but i guess not. also, turning this down to the lowest setting makes the game look below average.
/Agree

so this morning i woke up with pain in my knuckles and realized it was the game....goddamnit.

:bang:

[LoD] EE
12-13-2009, 13:40

You have been use the mouse and keyboard wrong for many, many years. there is a reason why in FPS's since at least Quake they have been setup for WASD as movement keys not not the arrow keys. How do you hit Reload and other weapon keys playing with the arrows?

Time for you to retrain yourself, start playing a FPS and play for a couple weeks. You have basically handicapped yourself more than a game pad users.

[LoD] EE
12-13-2009, 13:42
That was addressed at you, not OP but whatev...

I totally understand your point but here is my question to you ( and you sort of answered it when said that "I'm not saying that newbs should be able to solo EE")...

I really dont hope newbs should be able to solo me.

kilkan
12-13-2009, 19:52
i stopped playing for many of these reasons, the game is great for someone who doesnt have to do silly things like sleep or work. My biggest problem was finding guildies who could go out farming/pveing at the exact time as me. it sucks to have 2 hours maybe to play and spend 1 hour of it waiting for people to get ready. the pvp was always fun but financing it was next to impossible. most of the time soloing was my only option. goblins, trolls, and skellies never dropped enough for my time and anything worthwhile required me to wear scale and atleast r50 weapons and was almost always camped by roaming pks.
if you can accept that most of the players left in this game would rather kill you and steal your shit than say hello then this game will be great for you.

Bainwalker
12-13-2009, 21:17
I am a lefty so I may as well leave you with my tips for keyboard layout... I use a laptop too, however mine has a condensed num-pad. I have no idea if yours does.

If you have a num-pad then I suggest basing all your movement and main functions around those keys. I myself have this:

Movement:

Num-8 - Forward
Num-5 - Backward
Num-4 - Left strife
Num-6 - Right strife

Fuctional:

Num-7 - Take out / put away weapon
Num-9 - Use
Num-1 - Sprint
Num-0 - Jump
Num-3 - Secondary use
Num-2 - Crouch (Though I plan to rebind that to the mouse here soon and make it some random used key on the keyboard)

If you don't have a num-pad I suggest you do the same thing but by basing your keys around I,J,K,L. using the arrow keys is a bad idea simply because you need a great deal more keys than simply the movement ones... the arrow keys simply don't have enough around them to merit the use.

peertje
12-13-2009, 21:32
really, join a clan to learn

ARGH
12-13-2009, 22:47
I am a lefty so I may as well leave you with my tips for keyboard layout... I use a laptop too, however mine has a condensed num-pad. I have no idea if yours does.

If you have a num-pad then I suggest basing all your movement and main functions around those keys. I myself have this:

Movement:

Num-8 - Forward
Num-5 - Backward
Num-4 - Left strife
Num-6 - Right strife

Fuctional:

Num-9 - Use
Num-1 - Sprint
Num-0 - Jump
Num-3 - Secondary use
Num-2 - Crouch (Though I plan to rebind that to the mouse here soon and make it some random used key on the keyboard)

If you don't have a num-pad I suggest you do the same thing but by basing your keys around I,J,K,L. using the arrow keys is a bad idea simply because you need a great deal more keys than simply the movement ones... the arrow keys simply don't have enough around them to merit the use.

yes i probably have the same condensed numpad configuration as you on this 17" sli laptop.

i am currently playing with the numpad but with different configuration that i will state below. i will try your suggestion, though. the main reason i use the arrow keys or numpads for FPS games is because i require all the movement keys to be equally spaced from eachother and not offset like the wasd keys are (i mean the w key is offset and does not feel natural).

Movement:

Num-5 - Forward
Num-2 - Backward
Num-1 - Left strife
Num-3 - Right strife

Fuctional:

up arrow - Take out / put away weapon
E - Use
right-side thumb button on mouse - Sprint
right mouse button - Jump
left arrow - Secondary use
down arrow - Crouch
right arrow - parry

this way not everything is cramped into the small numpad as i think it may disorientate me. plus, the thumb is a comfortable distance resting on the arrow keys.

Bainwalker
12-13-2009, 23:03
yes i probably have the same condensed numpad configuration as you on this 17" sli laptop.

i am currently playing with the numpad but with different configuration that i will state below. i will try your suggestion, though. the main reason i use the arrow keys or numpads for FPS games is because i require all the movement keys to be equally spaced from eachother and not offset like the wasd keys are (i mean the w key is offset and does not feel natural).

Movement:

Num-5 - Forward
Num-2 - Backward
Num-1 - Left strife
Num-3 - Right strife

Fuctional:

up arrow - Take out / put away weapon
E - Use
right-side thumb button on mouse - Sprint
right mouse button - Jump
left arrow - Secondary use
down arrow - Crouch
right arrow - parry

this way not everything is cramped into the small numpad as i think it may disorientate me. plus, the thumb is a comfortable distance resting on the arrow keys.

Yeah just play around with it, and the num-pad is perfect for you since at least mine isn't "offset" like the WASD keys. You'll figure it out. You just need to keep playing with it until it feels right.

Ariscalidius
12-13-2009, 23:06

Movement:

Num-8 - Forward
Num-5 - Backward
Num-4 - Left strife
Num-6 - Right strife

Fuctional:

Num-9 - Use
Num-1 - Sprint
Num-0 - Jump
Num-3 - Secondary use

Can't understand how you can play with your mouse in your left hand? :P I'm lefty also so.. Glad that I didn't learn the wrong way from the beginning ^^

Bainwalker
12-13-2009, 23:37
Can't understand how you can play with your mouse in your left hand? :P I'm lefty also so.. Glad that I didn't learn the wrong way from the beginning ^^

I'm a pure lefty, I do everything left handed, though my mouse is set to the setup a right handed person would use. The sucky thing is there are not many gaming mouses made to form around the left hand.

RelentlesCoward
12-14-2009, 02:51
I dont like how this community on forum behaves :sly:
Instead of beeing glad of every new soul who can be potentialy long time player, you simly say move on?

I know some features or parts of the game are touchy, but this is not right...

What about to give this guy som newbie tips, or links to newbie guides?
here:
http://www.dfguide.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/darkfall-guide

Hopefullly you gonna enjoy the game after overgoing your few problems...

But but..don't you understand?
I live in my mommas basement and only thing I can do in my life best is to be some tough dude in an MMO...I need to feel distinction.. I play a game which is not for everyone (supposedly)..Therefore I am somebody..
(It's not for everyone who hates bugs, hates to be playing in an unfinished world, to do bugged and unblanaced guests, to be in a game with no real economy, huh sandbox? What sandbox and to have to deal with this kind of community)

It's not about community, its about people with "issues". The game in its current poor unbalanced state attracts them. It's something like the ghetto neighborhoods.
Yes down the road AV will have to face reality when see subscriptions dwindling and has to make the game some how user friendly, balanced, clever, innovative, etc etc in order for some more normal people to be a part of this community.
Meantime we have just a 3d world with random things thrown in and a player has to make a sense out of all this mess. UO was UO, games were different then and people too, by the way UO is nowhere now and there is a reason for this. I now understand why many developers won't touch gaming concepts such for instance what is now Darkfall. You can see this for yourself too now I bet.
Sadly such a game needs a team with very strong innovation and talent to make it succeed and appeal to the masses. Unfortunately AV doesn't "cut it".