PDA

View Full Version : Droid...

Erratic
11-20-2009, 08:17
So whose getting the droid? I probably will just because it's not the iphone, and better imo because it's on Verizon which by far has better 3G than ATT and because Verizon left the system and android alone so anyone can get their apps on there, therefore more for free unlike the iphone.

That being said, Smartphones are expensive as hell. 75 bucks a month. Ugh...

Grisu
11-20-2009, 09:25
i guess no 1 else wants to ask. ill do it,

wtf is the droid?

Carnagel
11-20-2009, 09:32
http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home

A new shiney for the must-haves

TheVillageIdiot
11-20-2009, 09:56
.... and better imo because it's on Verizon which by far has better 3G than ATT and because Verizon left the system and android alone so anyone can get their apps on there....

Don't believe marketing hype. Of all of he carriers Verizon will be the worst performing network for the foreseeable future. Their "3G" network tops out at ~1 Mb/s with EV-DO. Sprint is heavily invested in clear wire WiMax for future high bandwidth but this technology will not be mature for yers. AT&T has by FAR the widest coverage with cat 8 HSPA ( 7.2 Mb/s) and roadmap for LTE (years away very slightly behind Wimax). But the sleeper on the block is T-Mobile. Currently they have one of the smallest "3G" footprints, however they are moving to HSPA+ which gives them 21 mb/s with only software upgrades tho thier network.

As for Droid being "open" to applications..... If an "open" application store mean you must have your apps approved for download ont he network, then yes droid in an open system. But then again the iPhone app store should be considered an open system as well.

I am not a hater or a fanboi of any smart phone. But all of the information out that you are reading is complete and utter bullshit. It is 100% spin or outright fabrication. Her is the reality of smart phones:
+ Iphone - Worst call drop rte on nealry any phone on the market (Signals ahead research). Piss poor battery life on 3G models.

+ Droid - Claims of "open" development platform are BS. hey use nearly the same development model as the iphone. They still must approve your application (which is a good thing). Battery life and actual call performance isnt known yet. The use of the verizon network is a huge downside and will not get better until Verizon can escape the legacy CDMA-2000/IS-95 infrastructure (years away).

Oh yeah. Did I mention that Motorola can't engineer its way out of a paper bag? I should know, I have worked for them.

+ HTC - great phone. Horrendous battery life

+ Blackberry - Great battery life. Worst sound quality of any phone I have ever used.

+ LGE insight - laughable.

+ Palm Pre - Actually this one is looking to be pretty good. But it is only on Sprint int he US. This means speeds are capped at EV-DO (piss poor).

It is really sad but the US is and has been the wireless backwater of the globe. While I sell 21 Mb/s modems to countries in Europe, Asia, and Oceana, the US struggles to bring up modems which run at 7.2 Mb/s.

Don't believe marketing bullshit or anything you hear in a commercial.

oh well rant off.

Drudley
11-20-2009, 15:10
oh well rant off.

Well done living up to your name.

Tribaja
11-20-2009, 15:34
This is not the droid I'm looking for.

Skyborn
11-20-2009, 15:50

I just snorted green tea

Silverhandorder
11-20-2009, 16:02
It is really sad but the US is and has been the wireless backwater of the globe. While I sell 21 Mb/s modems to countries in Europe, Asia, and Oceana, the US struggles to bring up modems which run at 7.2 Mb/s.

Don't believe marketing bullshit or anything you hear in a commercial.

oh well rant off.

Does US government subsidize phone companies? What about the rest of the world? What is preventing US from innovating like the rest of the world?

Phalanx
11-20-2009, 16:14

hehe

Haeso
11-20-2009, 18:08

Well played sir, well played.

Erratic
11-20-2009, 22:06
@TheVillageIdiot:

I agree with most of what you said, but I just feel that Apple/ATT is trying to sqeeze money out of the customers with evrey single APP they have. Sure there are free ones but conversely u can get free ones on the driod that you pay for with apple due to their "open" or semi open system. Sure it needs approval but that is more of a countermeasure against obscene apps imo.

Additionally ATT's coverage is horrendous. My friend has an iphone, his calls drop constantly and all too often he can't get a 3g signal. That's bullshit for 75 bucks imo. I don't think the droid is perfect at all, but as a Verizon customer I think its the best it has to offer, and better than the iphone for me.

Gloomrender
11-20-2009, 22:13

Gahahaha

TheVillageIdiot
11-20-2009, 22:24
@TheVillageIdiot:

Additionally ATT's coverage is horrendous. My friend has an iphone, his calls drop constantly and all too often he can't get a 3g signal. That's bullshit for 75 bucks imo. I don't think the droid is perfect at all, but as a Verizon customer I think its the best it has to offer, and better than the iphone for me.

This is an iPhone issue related to the Infineon chipset which has had multiple recalls.

While AT&T has a number of issues, coverage is not one of them.

raja
11-21-2009, 00:44
pre (http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/).

webOS phones are coming to all carriers in q1 2010 - cdma & gsm - sprint, verizon & at&t - north america, south america, europe and asia.

sprint has the best digital network (period) - it turns out that if you are on verizon, you will automatically use sprints digital network when possible, and if you are on sprint, you get free roaming on verizons network - because sprint has a much better network, and verizon has a much bigger one. they are not allowed to market this, but ask any sales rep for either company.
edit: oh yeah, sprint has the cheapest plans and FREE MOBILE TO ANY MOBILE ON ANY NETWORK

webOS is the only mobile OS with TRUE multitasking - it is a little linux computer running a front end built on web based technologies. the OS has been in development for 7 years now, and the guy that designed the imac and ipod took over 3 years ago.

it will be the first mobile OS to have full flash support,
something the iphone will not be getting.

Xinnro
11-21-2009, 00:57

Well played!

Erratic
11-21-2009, 02:54

webOS phones are coming to all carriers in q1 2010 - cdma & gsm - sprint, verizon & at&t - north america, south america, europe and asia.

sprint has the best digital network (period) - it turns out that if you are on verizon, you will automatically use sprints digital network when possible, and if you are on sprint, you get free roaming on verizons network - because sprint has a much better network, and verizon has a much bigger one. they are not allowed to market this, but ask any sales rep for either company.
edit: oh yeah, sprint has the cheapest plans and FREE MOBILE TO ANY MOBILE ON ANY NETWORK

webOS is the only mobile OS with TRUE multitasking - it is a little linux computer running a front end built on web based technologies. the OS has been in development for 7 years now, and the guy that designed the imac and ipod took over 3 years ago.

it will be the first mobile OS to have full flash support,
something the iphone will not be getting.
i looked into the pre actually just because I saw a commercial recently. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they really have caught up to the pack regarding their apps. Pretty limited from what I've read which is a big disadvantage for me. Plus the droid IS getting Adobe Flashplayer so that is on par with the pre. I do like the multitasking and the sprint service in general, but yeah it goes back to the apps imo.

TheVillageIdiot
11-21-2009, 03:23

I own both Sprint and AT&T phones (both are active). I develop phones and modem chipsets for more than 10 yrs.

I have no idea what you call "the best" or "The cheapest" but sprint is neither.

As a phone my HTC on sprint (and other phones) is far superior to GSM/EDGE netwrks (AT&T). Phone service is also cheaper on sprint. Data is far more expensive than AT&T.

However the network data plans on AT&T are far cheaper (and faster) than Sprint. Also, sprints customer service is possibly the worst I have experienced next to major credit card companies. Sprint/Verizon only have EV-DO can only roam on each other in the US. EV-DO has very poor coverage when compared to EDGE+HSPA coverage. Also, EV-DO see data rate ~1mbs.

AT&T has a 7.2 mb/s network that is capable of roaming worldwide (3.2mbs is most common nationwide these days). From a speed pespective AT&T blows verizon/sprint out of the water on their current network. Also, AT&T has the ability to fall back to EDGE if HSPA is not available. EV-DO has no fall-back.

I have driven from Mississppi to Central texas with AT&T broadband (HSPA/UMTS/EDGE) coverage the entire way.

Sprints future bandwidth improvements are invested in WiMax (clearwire). However this is a new technology and will not be ready for number of years. There is currently a test network in ~5 cities but these things have bugs that need to get ironed out.

AT&Ts current roadmap is contingent upon LTE technology which is directly comparable to WiMax except it is about a year behind BUT has much more worldwide momentum behind it.

Verizon is moving to LTE so that it can leverage international economy of scale. The big problem wit Verizon is that it has not short/medium term mobile broadband solution. Verizon is already has one of the poorest broadband networks and it will get seriously lapped until LTE matures. It publishes really neat schedules rolling out an LTE network next year, but in reality there is no way this will happen.

T-Mobile is moving to HSPA+ in the short term. HSPA is a mature technology with world wide support. HSPA+ is a software upgrade to HSPA which will allow for speeds up to 21mb/s. This will be the network technology to beat in the medium term.

Again, don't believe marketing hype. Just because someone says it does not make it true. All of the articles that are out there on the subject are bad......really, really bad (unless you pay for inside market research). I have seen stupid shit like comparing Sprints performance in Baltimore against AT&T performance in baltimore which is a ludicrous comparison. Baltimore happens to be Sprints test market for WiMax. AT&Ts test market for LTE (the comparable technology) is in Chicago.

Odium
11-21-2009, 04:06
It really is depressing how behind the US is in terms of mobile networks. While we're arguing which provider is better in other places neither of them would be touched even if free.

Zyrokin
11-21-2009, 04:13
I just snorted green tea

Awwwww Skyborn.............

Did you really sig Ultimo? Congratufuckinlations, your now the proud owner of 11 different kinds of aids. The Swine Aids included.....

Oh yea, go huskers...

Ultimo
11-21-2009, 06:11
Goooooooooooooo Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Reeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeeeed.

xpiher
11-21-2009, 07:08
So whose getting the droid? I probably will just because it's not the iphone, and better imo because it's on Verizon which by far has better 3G than ATT and because Verizon left the system and android alone so anyone can get their apps on there, therefore more for free unlike the iphone.

That being said, Smartphones are expensive as hell. 75 bucks a month. Ugh...

Doesn't google handle a lot of the apps? Thats a reason to get it right there

TheVillageIdiot
11-21-2009, 15:58
Doesn't google handle a lot of the apps? Thats a reason to get it right there

Both iphone and droid use "app stores".

All must be pre-approved. Cost etc is all theory until we see what the charge for. Droid was made by Motorola which is a severe downside. Most of Moto's technical competence is long gone.

raja
11-21-2009, 16:28
double post?

raja
11-21-2009, 16:35
I own both Sprint and AT&T phones (both are active). I develop phones and modem chipsets for more than 10 yrs.

I have no idea what you call "the best" or "The cheapest" but sprint is neither.

As a phone my HTC (and other phones) are far superior to GSM/EDGE netwrks (AT&T). Phone service is also cheaper on sprint. Data is far more expensive than AT&T.

However the network data plans on AT&T are far cheaper (and faster) than Sprint. Also, sprints customer service is possibly the worst I have experienced next to major credit card companies. Sprint/Verizon only have EV-DO can only roam on each other in the US. EV-DO has very poor coverage when compared to EDGE+HSPA coverage. Also, EV-DO see data rate ~1mbs.

AT&T has a 7.2 mb/s network that is capable of roaming worldwide (3.2mbs is most common nationwide these days). From a speed pespective AT&T blows verizon/sprint out of the water on their current network. Also, AT&T has the ability to fall back to EDGE if HSPA is not available. EV-DO has no fall-back.

I have driven from Mississppi to Central texas with AT&T broadband (HSPA/UMTS/EDGE) coverage the entire way.

Sprints future bandwidth improvements are invested in WiMax (clearwire). However this is a new technology and will not be ready for number of years. There is currently a test network in ~5 cities but these things have bugs that need to get ironed out.

AT&Ts current roadmap is contingent upon LTE technology which is directly comparable to WiMax except it is about a year behind BUT has much more worldwide momentum behind it.

Verizon is moving to LTE so that it can leverage international economy of scale. The big problem wit Verizon is that it has not short/medium term mobile broadband solution. Verizon is already has one of the poorest broadband networks and it will get seriously lapped until LTE matures. It publishes really neat schedules rolling out an LTE network next year, but in reality there is no way this will happen.

T-Mobile is moving to HSPA+ in the short term. HSPA is a mature technology with world wide support. HSPA+ is a software upgrade to HSPA which will allow for speeds up to 21mb/s. This will be the network technology to beat in the medium term.

Again, don't believe marketing hype. Just because someone says it does not make it true. All of the articles that are out there on the subject are bad......really, really bad (unless you pay for inside market research). I have seen stupid shit like comparing Sprints performance in Baltimore against AT&T performance in baltimore which is a ludicrous comparison. Baltimore happens to be Sprints test market for WiMax. AT&Ts test market for LTE (the comparable technology) is in Chicago.

so you dont have enough to do developing all those phones that you come here to tear apart one piece of my post (which it sounds like is the only thing you know), and derail a thread on devices into another stupid ego battle on network providers? the first thing in my post was that the device i was talking about was coming to all carriers in q1 2010, and practically every corner of the globe.

unlimited voice, messaging and data:
at&t - $149.99
sprint - $99.99
verizon - $149.99

900 mins, unlimited messaging and data:
at&t - $109.99
sprint - $89.99
verizon - $109.99

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/rating-carrier-customer-service.aspx?page=7
sprint has made leaps and bounds in the customer service department, now blowing the others out of the water imo. i also have multiple phones with multiple carriers, and do inside marketing for the companies that actually build the telecommunications infrastructure - sprint, verizon and at&t are my clients. i have no interest in getting into a technology battle with you, you aren't paying me enough... and if you knew what you were talking about we would end up discussing chinese politics, something else i have no interest in doing. i will tell you that your numbers and the real world are two totally different things - the business relationships between these networks are based on real world market factors, like people. i have signed documents that inhibit me from discussing the plans these companies have for the future, but does it really matter? i think ill have eggs in the morning. no wait, maybe pancakes... fuck it, ima go play df.
future? (http://www.terrestar.com/technology.php)

raja
11-21-2009, 16:44
Both iphone and droid use "app stores".

All must be pre-approved. Cost etc is all theory until we see what the charge for. Droid was made by Motorola which is a severe downside. Most of Moto's technical competence is long gone.

youre kidding me on motorola right? even though they now outsource most of their manufacturing to asia their quality control is comparatively amazing, especially on their high end digital optics.

edit: imo motorola is the droids upside, google is shit (period)

Erratic
11-21-2009, 21:06
I had been reading that while moto might have made some less than desirable phones in the past the quality of the droid was top notch which might show an upward trend for them.

As for google, i don't have a problem with their part in the droid because it works more to link your various accounts and whatnot. Facebook, address book, phone numbers, gmail ect. Take that on top of the android os and it's a nice union imo. Google is said to be releasing their own phone at some point but i don't know if i'd be interested in that...

TheVillageIdiot
11-21-2009, 23:02
youre kidding me on motorola right? even though they now outsource most of their manufacturing to asia their quality control is comparatively amazing, especially on their high end digital optics.

edit: imo motorola is the droids upside, google is shit (period)

I used to work for Motorola. Their quality at one time was top notch and could not be beat. Incidentally they have been manufacturing in Asia for more than 10-20 yrs. Manufacturing in Asia has nothing to do with good or bad quality. I do not know of a single large company which does not do most manufacturing in Asia.

However, nearly every person I know (at Motorola) who pushed for higher quality products are gone. The people who are left are the same clowns which would manufacture product that everyone new would not work. I have seen manufacturing lines started with material we knew we would throw away (I have seen mistakes like this of more than $30M). Moto has changed staff at the top but the reality is that the experienced technical staff has largely exited the company.

One of the saddest days I ever had working for Moto was visiting a wedding in Mexico City and a girl asked me what was wrong with her phone (The predecessor to the Razr). I told here that I probably could not help her. Then she asked my why her battery always died when she entered a building. The sad thing was that I did know what was wrong. I had fixed the issue prior to production. The fix was available, it was free. However, a manager decided not to take a fix which added ~60hrs talk time to the phone and the C33x (I thin this was the model) was a disaster.

For phone plans...... Your data is misleading.

Sprint
My data plan from sprint was $99 with overages which occurred even when I wasn't in the country for a month. I would routinely get charges of $130-$140 a month (hint: sprint does not work outside the US).

AT&T
My AT&T plan with I pay ~$70 per month for voice (450) + unlimited data. Data cards are unlimited data at $59 / mo. While I certainly can get an unlimited plan (and my work will pay for it) I don't need to. In the end unless I NEED unlimited phone the AT&T is significantly cheaper and the customer service is better.

Droid is just another phone. Like all products, wait for at least 6 months after the release and look at the quality then.

raja
11-22-2009, 00:59
< aprdl

TheVillageIdiot
11-22-2009, 02:40
< aprdl

Funny stuff. If you worked for APRDL I may actually know you ;)

Of course I was down south at Oakhill working for the BU.

raja
11-22-2009, 03:23
spent a little over a decade in austin.. about a decade ago.

edit: sprint and verizon here, but both phones are jumbled up in business plans so i cant use my own personal rates as comparative examples. i do pay a few bucks extra for extended service in canada so that i dont receive additional charges while there, but comparing apples to oranges like the price difference between american cdma and gsm phones used internationally is completely pointless when discussing american smart phones. especially when satellite and unlocked multi carrier gsm are the obvious choices if you spend every other day on the other side of the planet.
of sprint and verizon, i can also tell you that at the current moment sprint has a better, albeit smaller data natwork and better customer relations, while verizon has a larger and better voice network. these are opinions based on personal experience from both utilizing their services, as well as working with them.
i would say about 5% of my interest is placed in at&t right now for some reason...