PDA

View Full Version : Halp!!

nodaedalus
11-18-2009, 19:08
I've played several MMO's in the past, and seeing the similarities to DAoC I've become quite interested in DFo

Now I am curious, I have always, always played stealth/assassin type characters. I understand you cannot pop stealth in this game but is it possible to compete in PVP with dagger/s.swords and a bow? Using lighter armors(does that improve movement in this game?)

I am still very reluctant though, about the game mechanics and fluidity. I Hated WoW with a passion, but they had one thing right and that was fluidness of their combat. Nothing was more fun than stunlocking people with an undergeared rogue.

What does everyone think about this game? Is it going to last? or crash and burn like every other MMO that has gone up against WoW since it's release?

Thanks EVERYONE!

HauptmannHP
11-18-2009, 19:30
Thread moved. I hope you are not serious about stunlocking being fun.

nodaedalus
11-18-2009, 19:31
Thread moved. I hope you are not serious about stunlocking being fun.

Stunlocking was an art.

It was the only way to defeat 2-3 enemies simultaneously as a rogue, no matter the patch.

FrostByte
11-18-2009, 20:06
Stunlocking was an art.

It was the only way to defeat 2-3 enemies simultaneously as a rogue, no matter the patch.

Without owning any experience on the subject, can´t really say anything...

But jesus christ guy! You claim that not letting 3 people play the game and killing them is fun...be on the receiving end once or twice please.
Any mechanic that steals control from players is in my books a broken one, unless it´s for a very brief moment.

But are rogues (which in this case is character possessing traits of rogue classes from various games...can you people now not cry about there being no classes?) viable in darkfall?
Short answer no and long answer Harry Potter online/Magefall. Currently only viable setup is high magic and bone armor.
Upcoming patch tries to fix this and we´ll see how it goes after that.

What comes to stealth gameplay...it does work. It´s however a non-factor if you are wielding a battle axe or knives, or if you wear shiny stuff or robes (well maybe there´s a bit difference but not much. But it´s pretty damn challenging. Main reason being that only players who stay within certain area can be sneaked upon and only by knowing players route can you lay an ambush. Sneaking up to a traveller isn´t option. When you sprint, you make too much noise. When you crouch walk, you are too slow...and most sane people travel by mount anyway. Therefore targets are limited to people farming mobs, people running wildly in their city trying to find the guy who appeared on system messages (when people enter a city, owners will know), macroers, afks and people who run right past you for one reason or another.
Another reason why it´s hard is that you have to remain undetected...and spotting players in darkfall, no matter the armor they wear, is pretty damn easy. And nothing that has been seen can be unseen...means your in deep shit. You have to stay almost completely behind the cover and learn to use 3rd person views perk of peeking around the corners with youur camera.
Third thing making stealth hard is the sound...when you crouchwalk you are rather slow, which means a lot of time spent in plain sight, which is bad for your hope of staying hidden. On the other hand when you sprint/run, you´re making too much noise. Also, even a slightest drop and your cover is blown because that makes sound like no other...

That said shorter:
Stealth is viable, quite hard and doesn´t really require you to be "rogue" in any particular way.

Croim
11-18-2009, 20:14
^ is a retard but got some points, archery/melee is still awesome if your good at it, sieges is magefall online with people cycling rank100 nukes but smaller scale pvp is not like that(not always), the siege nuking problem will be fixed in the next expansion with the addition of global cooldown, there is no stealth skill, use the geometry and be zneaky.

Niburu
11-18-2009, 20:18
Darkfall hase nothing to do with DaoC or other games like this (i mean using skills and TAB the enemy). The combat system is more FPS based this means you running around and you have to aim. It is also a very fast game. But PVP is not all in this game you can also craft (no special system) and do some PvE. There are some possiblities to play this game.

Btw: Daggers are only good in Group PvE and everyone is atm a mage because it is a little bit overpowered but this will change with the expansion next week.

If you need more information click the link underm y Sig it will redirect you to the Darkfall Site you can create an account there and maybe buy it to test it out. You can only Buy via Credit Card or payPal atm

syryel
11-18-2009, 20:43
Ahoy,

Unfortunately, wearing lighter armor does not give you any movement bonuses or any bonuses really. It does though avoid magic penalties.

Yes, it is possible to defeat powerful characters with daggers and other melee weapons, but it can be very challenging. Against powerful casters (high level blasts), you'll need to survive your way to melee. If you do, you can rock many magic-focused people, but you can also get killed often before.

As for stealth, there is no skill as such, but when you crouch you make no noise and, with a melee weapon in hand, you can easily hide behind objects while spying ennemies. So, you can play a scout, but you have no powers as such.

I hope in a futur expansion AV will consider some scouting skills (but NOT invisibility as such). They are planning though vision skills to see further for example.

Cheers

vanyok
11-18-2009, 21:14
Comparing Darkfall to WoW or DAoC is like comparing Railraod Tycoon VS Warcraft3...cannot be done. Completely different games and play style.

I would recommend you checking out lots of DFO videos on youtube or elsewhere. Darkfall really is unique in its mechanics and gameplay.
Being a rogue is more realistic though. You actually have to , crouch, sneak up on someone while hiding behind trees and rock to throw a powerattack in enemy's back.
This may change in a week though.. I think elves are getting some kind of a racial ability to discover players around them.... I guess we'll see.

The game is definitely worth checking out and it's far from dieing.

lanigav
11-18-2009, 21:42
If you need more information click the link underm y Sig it will redirect you to the Darkfall Site you can create an account there and maybe buy it to test it out and i can make eleven bucks. You can only Buy via Credit Card or payPal atm

Fixed :)

Great shameless self plug there.

Niburu
11-19-2009, 01:17
Fixed :)

Great shameless self plug there.

of course

nizzie
11-19-2009, 01:27
of course

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Niburu
11-19-2009, 01:35
oh my god you have an account here

Akatsuki#1
11-19-2009, 01:41
I've played several MMO's in the past, and seeing the similarities to DAoC I've become quite interested in DFo

Now I am curious, I have always, always played stealth/assassin type characters. I understand you cannot pop stealth in this game but is it possible to compete in PVP with dagger/s.swords and a bow? Using lighter armors(does that improve movement in this game?)

I am still very reluctant though, about the game mechanics and fluidity. I Hated WoW with a passion, but they had one thing right and that was fluidness of their combat. Nothing was more fun than stunlocking people with an undergeared rogue.

What does everyone think about this game? Is it going to last? or crash and burn like every other MMO that has gone up against WoW since it's release?

Thanks EVERYONE!

The only MMO in history that I can remember thought they would go up against WoW was WAR, and whilst that did crash in burn due to the fact they were expecting 5 million subs - Darkfall is more modest. Darkfall will live a long life, but it won't be with millions of subscribers, and they never expected it.