PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Make ships the fastest mode of travel.

bartillo
11-14-2009, 12:13
Now the expansion is called "conquer the seas" and the best way imo to promote ships is full local banking with cargo ships and piracy and protection war ships sailing around and forming trade routes.

However since this will not happen unfortunately I think the best way to make ships more used is to make them the fastest mode of travel.. a ship should be faster then a mount, a person swim sprinting etc.. No one should be able to match a ships speed except for another ship. Also price will hae to be extremly reduced on making them.

Also the devs mentioned sea objectives.. I would love to see some UO style treasure hunting in darkfall. fish in the ocean on your boat could net you a treasure map and you could go on an adventure to find it.
Also perhaps there will be control points in the ocean like um.. the best fishing spots and controlling these with boats would net you a lot of money because of all the fish coming in (theoretically fish but really you just get gold)

Any other ideas?

Lumanil
11-14-2009, 12:36
While i agree, that ships should be the fastest way of travel, i can't agree that ships should be extremely reduced in price. They should be reduced a bit, but not extremely, because i don't want to see everyone using a manowar on his own to travel from Yssam to Rubiyat.

bartillo
11-14-2009, 12:38
While i agree, that ships should be the fastest way of travel, i can't agree that ships should be extremely reduced in price. They should be reduced a bit, but not extremely, because i don't want to see everyone using a manowar on his own to travel from Yssam to Rubiyat.

I mean for the smaller boats.. manowar and ship of the lines should still be large and expensive for guilds only but the smaller ships should be easily attainable

Rigan Pere
11-14-2009, 13:53
Ships should not be reduced at all in terms of mats and cost.

for a brig its like 80k, ship of the line 400k?

It's really not alot of gold for any guild, stop being fucking lazy and get out there and work for the toys, 400k can easily be farmed by a guild of 10ppl in less than a week if thats your goal.

bartillo
11-15-2009, 00:30
Ships should not be reduced at all in terms of mats and cost.

for a brig its like 80k, ship of the line 400k?

It's really not alot of gold for any guild, stop being fucking lazy and get out there and work for the toys, 400k can easily be farmed by a guild of 10ppl in less than a week if thats your goal.

The point is to have ships everywhere.. not huge ships but the small ones should be all over the world sailing to and from places doing various things.

kyberion
11-15-2009, 16:59
I also mentioned quite a few times that ships need more love. Speed was one issue and making them move at say 2x speed that of a mount or even 1.5x would be great.

The cost of the current ships is ok. The problem is that large ships are meant for large operations. Fully manned they can hold 100+ people. And 400k is nothing to a guild who can field 100 people. Problem is no one can anymore :). But smaller ship actions are definately a possibility.

What I would like to see instead would be an intermediary type of ships. Between the 2k raft and the 40k Pinnace we really have nothing. I'd like to see some unarmed fast transport carrier for 1-2 people. It could be a new type of mount or a ship, whatever. Something to fill the gap for small scale raids and pvp action or transportation.

Emolas
11-15-2009, 17:59
They should put the damage back up to the way it was at launch.

Early-game the damage was too high, but with magic introduced it's way too low.

giantAppleCore
11-15-2009, 18:25
I'm fine with the cost of ships in mats', but I'd like to see the astrolab drop rate increase a good deal. Not flood the market high, but maybe, if someone has been playing for a month killing high end mobs, they should get atleast one at some point in that month.

FastEddy
11-15-2009, 18:40
Here is the one giant flaw about making ships more useful.

You pretty much double the area where people can go in Darkfall.

It is hard enough to find pvp with the few people that are out there now.

But if you put half of them on ships.

Its gonna be even worse!

iGasmask
11-15-2009, 19:11

Its gonna be even worse!

Are you retarded?

Mycke
11-15-2009, 19:25

Its gonna be even worse!

You can't find PvP? lol

Here is a clue...

Go to any player owned city or hamlet (if empty start tapping their resources), hit up popular mob spawns with a good hp/treasure ratio.

If you can't find PvP that says more about you than the game...

FastEddy
11-15-2009, 20:31
Hrmm.

My idea of fun pvp is WORLD PvP.

Not going to random city and getting either zerged to hell and back

or there only beind 4 people there all of which are naked.

Maybe I am roaming in the wrong places looking for 'world' pvp.

I usually go to Yssam/Nifl/Center of the World.

Where should I be trying?

Gray Fox
11-15-2009, 20:35
Ship speed should be higher than player sprint and slower than mount. And there should be a weather system so you could guide your ship acoording to wind.

syryel
11-15-2009, 20:36
+1 to ship speed. As in human history, speed was a good part of why so many people sailed...

Plus, it's so much cooler to sail your army to a city, than to just teleport them through Runes, Houses or nearby cities.

I'd like to hear the sound of a ship tearing through the waters and, if possible, some special effect of water splashing at the front of the ship.

Cheers,
A Shipwrecked Pirate
(a clan on NA)

Mycke
11-15-2009, 21:19
Hrmm.

If ur looking for solid people to fight then go to any DM spawn or any other semi powerful mob that drops decent loot. Windlords, elfshades, etc...

FastEddy
11-16-2009, 00:40
If ur looking for solid people to fight then go to any DM spawn or any other semi powerful mob that drops decent loot. Windlords, elfshades, etc...

I know right?

You'd think there would be people at Elf Wraith Island on Yssam or at the Deathless Mage spawn or Vilegaunt spawns on Ice but nobody :(

bartillo
11-16-2009, 04:54
they need to hurry up and release info on why the expansion is called "conquer the seas" lol

Lrac
11-16-2009, 11:58
I know right?

You'd think there would be people at Elf Wraith Island on Yssam or at the Deathless Mage spawn or Vilegaunt spawns on Ice but nobody :(

I've heard mercia is the most populated land atm. People killing newbies as soon as they leave the goblin spawn. Another thing you could try is, if you are in a clan thats allied to basically the whole island you live on, ask your self why there is no PvP there, then do something about it ;-)

Those guys who didn't have an island of peace where everyone hug eachother have to do that nasty grind now, fighting mobs and all that. Wish I lived on the PvE islands some more :P

TLDR: Try mercia.

Pyro Kiddie
11-16-2009, 12:40
Hrmm.

i dunno about you, but i killed someone at the mages, killed someone at the elfshades on my way to the bank and then got jumped by a SUN outside hintenfau and killed him too. Was a pretty profitable journey :P

Agon isnt dead - your just looking in the wrong places

Tengil
11-16-2009, 13:01
I know right?

I can't imagine when you play, the last five times I've been to Elf Wraith Islands, there's been 2-5 hostiles there and if you camp the only Dungeon on Yssam you have to wait a max of thirty minutes before someone comes through either for the dungeon or for the blood knights.

Deathless mage is by my experience less popular because of the nerfing of shields, since most killed them by going two-with-shields on the mage. Now its a lot less 'easy' then it used to be.

On Topic: Yes, ships could be a lot faster. Please.

lanigav
11-16-2009, 15:53
/signed and reduce the cost of them 10-15% Plenty of people had brigs and sotl but no one used them b/c they so damned expensive and ineffective

Fix AoE through ship walls, fix cannon damage vs players

Deviruchi
11-16-2009, 16:12
don't fix the mats cost, just fix the astrolabe drop, it just too rare

fix the speed

fix the Aoe

Fix the cannons (or add anti-personal cannons)

Lexxer
11-16-2009, 16:29
Nerf swimming. No more swimming across oceans...you should run out of stamina and drown or get eaten by sharks.

doomahx
11-16-2009, 16:37
Nerf swimming. No more swimming across oceans...you should run out of stamina and drown or get eaten by sharks.

This.

Rafts are easy enough to get now.