PDA

View Full Version : Changes since launch?

Delfofthebla
11-11-2009, 09:57
I haven't been here since hmm...late march? With Aion being just as boring as was, I figured I'd check up on Darkfall again.

I enjoyed launch, and I've had my share of fun from the game, but I didn't really play it for long before I got bored. The launch of this game was so much fun because the clans hadn't really had a chance to form, and hyperion wasn't conquering the world. Once all the alliances started forming this game got crazy dull for me. The only time it was "worth it" to leave my clans island was for major sieges. What with it taking a good hour to get to a good "noob farming" location out of hyperions reach, I had little motivation to do anything except buy 8 mounts and farm elf shades nonstop by switching between them all and back-kicking for free gold.

There was of course [I]real issues with the game, like the characters with ridiculous stats due to acid/lava grinding. The race imbalances were pretty bad, and magic grinding was the most fun I've ever had. Of course such entertainment could only be obtained while I slept with a macro running all night.

So, is this game any better? Did they fix/improve any of the above issues?

droidika
11-11-2009, 10:12
I haven't been here since hmm...late march? With Aion being just as boring as was, I figured I'd check up on Darkfall again.

I enjoyed launch, and I've had my share of fun from the game, but I didn't really play it for long before I got bored. The launch of this game was so much fun because the clans hadn't really had a chance to form, and hyperion wasn't conquering the world. Once all the alliances started forming this game got crazy dull for me. The only time it was "worth it" to leave my clans island was for major sieges. What with it taking a good hour to get to a good "noob farming" location out of hyperions reach, I had little motivation to do anything except buy 8 mounts and farm elf shades nonstop by switching between them all and back-kicking for free gold.

There was of course [I]real issues with the game, like the characters with ridiculous stats due to acid/lava grinding. The race imbalances were pretty bad, and magic grinding was the most fun I've ever had. Of course such entertainment could only be obtained while I slept with a macro running all night.

So, is this game any better? Did they fix/improve any of the above issues?

The political part of the game is something the community could change - some alliances are still around maybe under a different name/tag - the trend to ally up with the other "strong" party is still significant.

You don´t need to exploit mobs - they got lower health / better drops.

Magic skills up 6x faster on mobs (school itself not spells), rest 3x on mobs - so bloodwalling is quite rare now and you gain a lot from training.

There are title quests to gain up to +6 in a certain stat (changeable every 24hours, 3 queststeps per questrow).

Villagesystem is in place - provides pvp and or money + fast travel options.
Rigor / Ignore pain turned out not to be that relevant + you can get it quite fast by blocking brownies.

Due to the grind reduction many people have 2 schools at 100 - up to all 6 schools maxed - meaning there is a lot of colored dots flying around in large scale pvp - nuke nuke nuke - but the expansion should fix that.

kazamx
11-11-2009, 10:35
There has already been one free expansion and there is another one being released in a few weeks.

The first expansions notes
http://www.darkfallonline.com/expansion/

While we don't have official patch notes for the 2nd expansion, we have been told a lot about the new features
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=218517

there have been a LOT of other improvements too in smaller patches. You can no longer skill up by firing arrows/magic in the air. it must hit a target. Mobs are much harder to bug out. There are a lot more mob spawns.

Delfofthebla
11-11-2009, 10:42
The political part of the game is something the community could change - some alliances are still around maybe under a different name/tag - the trend to ally up with the other "strong" party is still significant.

You don´t need to exploit mobs - they got lower health / better drops.

Magic skills up 6x faster on mobs (school itself not spells), rest 3x on mobs - so bloodwalling is quite rare now and you gain a lot from training.

There are title quests to gain up to +6 in a certain stat (changeable every 24hours, 3 queststeps per questrow).

Villagesystem is in place - provides pvp and or money + fast travel options.
Rigor / Ignore pain turned out not to be that relevant + you can get it quite fast by blocking brownies.

Due to the grind reduction many people have 2 schools at 100 - up to all 6 schools maxed - meaning there is a lot of colored dots flying around in large scale pvp - nuke nuke nuke - but the expansion should fix that.

Thanks for the quick reply, these seem like some pretty good changes.

There were a few other issues that I just remembered. Is sieging any less...lame? I remember we would always sit at their stone and exchange siege hammers by using their bank and whack at it for a while until the deed was done. All of the different weapons were pretty useless too. Most people used a 2H sword/polearm, and everything else was worthless except maybe a sword and board.

Delfofthebla
11-11-2009, 10:45
There has already been one free expansion and there is another one being released in a few weeks.

The first expansions notes
http://www.darkfallonline.com/expansion/

While we don't have official patch notes for the 2nd expansion, we have been told a lot about the new features
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=218517

there have been a LOT of other improvements too in smaller patches. You can no longer skill up by firing arrows/magic in the air. it must hit a target. Mobs are much harder to bug out. There are a lot more mob spawns.

That second link answered a lot of the questions I just posted, thanks. Things seem to be looking up for darkfall, I'll probably roll back in sometime soon.

Thanks for the info guys.

Drasked
11-11-2009, 11:28
you can get it quite fast by blocking brownies.

I blocked a "brownie" this morning but didn't gain any rigor, what gives?

Delfofthebla
11-11-2009, 11:33
Are they planning to release another server by any chance anytime soon?

droidika
11-11-2009, 11:59
I blocked a "brownie" this morning but didn't gain any rigor, what gives?

There are spots with 8 brownies - parry them - transfer / heal up - do that for a while and gain rigor / defense / ignore pain. You should be able to gain several points per hour.

Sieges could still be kinda boring and camping sieged city is still a valid tactic - together with the global bank access well....

Siege mechanic changes were also planned for the expansion I personally expect a system like in SB with Siege declaration beforehand and Defender picks a time within a certain time frame something like that - but there are no official details given out yet just the statement that they will change it - somehow

droidika
11-11-2009, 12:01
Are they planning to release another server by any chance anytime soon?

Very very very unlikely.

Both servers have a medicore population and are ready for a major influx of new players or returners with the expansion. Lets hope for a good PR strategy ;)

May if the servers turn full again but I wouldn´t wait for that

Omegataco
11-11-2009, 23:56
Yeah there is probably alot of people waiting to resub after expansion is released. Me included.

t527966
11-12-2009, 02:18
are they planning to release another server by any chance anytime soon?

never fucking ever.

paxprobellum
11-12-2009, 02:40
never fucking ever.

I'm with this guy. 2 servers, for purposes of ping, but the world is big enough to support a very large population. To throw a number out there, I'd say 40k people before we would really need another server.