PDA

View Full Version : Oh man I'm new!

Daemonek
11-09-2009, 03:05
Just bought the game, still downloading it cause my ISP is terribad. Wanted to know a couple things. Is it hard to pick up at all, and will I be "behind" everyone else? Will a DSL bandwidth speed hold up for this kind of game (doesn't matter alot since I'm currently getting a new ISP)? Any other tips/advice or websites that might contain helpful things would also be nice.

Paranoia21
11-09-2009, 03:17
Everyone MMO new players are always "Behind"
It does have a pretty steep learning curve but get with a clan and it won't take long
Welceom to DF :)

GRCPan
11-09-2009, 03:20
Just bought the game, still downloading it cause my ISP is terribad. Wanted to know a couple things. Is it hard to pick up at all, and will I be "behind" everyone else? Will a DSL bandwidth speed hold up for this kind of game (doesn't matter alot since I'm currently getting a new ISP)? Any other tips/advice or websites that might contain helpful things would also be nice.

1)I didn't find it hard to pick up. If you play games for long it shouldn't take you much time to get used to it.
2)Well yeah you will be behind everyone else for a while, eventually though you will be strong enough to give a good fight.
3)Well depends on the bandwidth, but I guess even the slower DSL lines shouldn't have a problem with the game.
4) Bank often and I mean really often.

Daemonek
11-09-2009, 03:29
4) Bank often and I mean really often.

Thanks for the tips, and this bit of advice will be something I haven't done since Diablo 2, haha. Very good point though.

Thanks

Paranoia21
11-09-2009, 03:30
Thanks for the tips, and this bit of advice will be something I haven't done since Diablo 2, haha. Very good point though.

Thanks

Sucks when ur bank is full in D2 :((

empa
11-09-2009, 03:35
Sucks when ur bank is full in D2 :((

Atleast you dont crash 40% of the time you open it :lmao:

Also if you get into darkfall try and find your own if your still struggeling after sevral hours getting pwned by mobs then apply for the clan NEW and they will help you out. both EU and NA

Akatsuki#1
11-09-2009, 03:41
There are several newbie guides for PvP on Youtube. Have a look at those. I think you'll feel that there's a lot of downtime at first when you get into the game, but there's next to none as you become more familiar with the game so don't let that put you off.

Paranoia21
11-09-2009, 03:45
Atleast you dont crash 40% of the time you open it :lmao:

Also if you get into darkfall try and find your own if your still struggeling after sevral hours getting pwned by mobs then apply for the clan NEW and they will help you out. both EU and NA

ROFL yeah so true mate :P

Daemonek
11-09-2009, 03:47
There are several newbie guides for PvP on Youtube. Have a look at those. I think you'll feel that there's a lot of downtime at first when you get into the game, but there's next to none as you become more familiar with the game so don't let that put you off.

As with every MMO I've tried, I know there's a learning curve and that when you first jump into the game it's tedious and takes time. However there's a difference between the easy curve of WoW and the extremely long curves like EVE where it takes literally months to learn some skills.

Thanks for all the advice so far and I'll be checking this post every once and awhile to see what people have to say.

Akatsuki#1
11-09-2009, 03:54
As with every MMO I've tried, I know there's a learning curve and that when you first jump into the game it's tedious and takes time. However there's a difference between the easy curve of WoW and the extremely long curves like EVE where it takes literally months to learn some skills.

Thanks for all the advice so far and I'll be checking this post every once and awhile to see what people have to say.

Some quick advice I can give is, you need a staff to cast spells - you can't do it with nothing equipped. At first this may seem like a pain in the ass, but you can buy it as your secondary starting weapon for a mere 100 gold. You won't gain any skills using the starter weapon, but it's good to have just in-case you run out of crafted/dropped staffs.

Try to get 50/75 lesser magic as soon as possible, at that stage you'll have all three conversion spells. Stamina to Health, Mana to Stamina & Health to Mana. The first two are absolutely vital, Heal Self is a pretty weak spell, but if you manage to train it to 99.9/100 and use it in conjunction with a fast cast staff, it becomes pretty good.

I'd suggest choosing a two handed weapon of choice, great sword being the best in my personal opinion. Get this to 75 skill asap, along with 75 + archery. Get melee mastery and sharpshooter at 75 skill. The first line of magic you should raise is lesser magic to 50 to unlock greater magic, then you can take this to 25 & get witch craft. At 75 witch craft you get witches brew, which is a very nice heal - you can also heal others with it if they're close to you.

With melee mastery and sharpshooter along with the conversion spells and witches brew - you should be ready to start killing other players in the world of Agon. It shouldn't take you that long, but the PvP skill curve will take a while, you'll be fighting much more advanced characters, but with superiour aim, movement and vital management, you can win versus almost anybody.

xpiher
11-09-2009, 04:12
see the link in my sig, there are a couple leveling guides in there. Only one is dated and thats the magic one.

Daemonek
11-09-2009, 04:17
Completely forgot to ask, does race have any bearing on your status in the world?

Akatsuki#1
11-09-2009, 04:23
Completely forgot to ask, does race have any bearing on your status in the world?

Not really - you just can't enter a non allied races starting cities. That's about the only consequences of race in Darkfall as it is. Go whatever you like the look of the most.

xpiher
11-09-2009, 04:29
Not really - you just can't enter a non allied races starting cities. That's about the only consequences of race in Darkfall as it is. Go whatever you like the look of the most.

in the expansion it will matter though

Signus
11-09-2009, 04:31

You have more of a chance in this MMO, out of the gate, than almost any mainstream MMO on the market. After getting some decent skills and running around exploring or doing whatever you please for a week, you won't be totally worthless, and if you're good, and know how to play up your advantages, you won't be too bad off. ;)

Best word of advice I can give you, do not fall into the trap/misconception of grinding. You do not need to do it, and you don't need a million maxed out skills to PvP. Make some friends and just go out and do it!

Akatsuki#1
11-09-2009, 04:36
Best word of advice I can give you, do not fall into the trap/misconception of grinding. You do not need to do it, and you don't need a million maxed out skills to PvP. Make some friends and just go out and do it!

This for sure, but I believe getting sharpshooter / melee mastery & witches brew isn't much of a grind at all and gives a firm foundation to build on over time.

Drago Palmas
11-09-2009, 09:17
Check out the newbie tips thread here:
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=149310