PDA

View Full Version : Is Aventurine having trouble with cash flows?

sinfolmatt
11-05-2009, 23:48
Does anyone else find it interesting to suddenly offer the special price for 6 months of game time?

To me it sounds like AV is having trouble with its cash flows and needs to collect some money fast. That or maybe they want to make the sales jump before a year end or something.

Don't get me wrong, I want AV to do well and hope that I am reading into it too much, but they haven't given deals in the past for as far as I can remember so it makes me curious.

JCatano
11-05-2009, 23:51
Locking in 6 months at a discount is not really new for MMOs, but a 30% discount does seem like a bit of scrambling is going on.

Towel
11-05-2009, 23:52
Alot of games do this that dont have issues with cash? Even if they are so what? This is a good chance for them to get an influx of cash and maybe pay people to fix the game :)

sinfolmatt
11-05-2009, 23:54
What I am saying is that they always offered a better price for 6 months over 1 month, but now they are offering a special 6 month price that is much lower than the previous one for a limited time.

EDIT: or was there no value in going for the 6 month sub before? if it was the same monthly cost as 1 month then nobody would have ever gotten a 6 month sub before

Rosco
11-05-2009, 23:56
I would like to see a free trial, for those who have never tried DF. A free trial for new members would be great, if released around expansion time. Many players are curious about DF, so let them try it AV!

Jargo
11-05-2009, 23:57
Other games have done limited time offers like this. With the renewed interest in the game due to the transfers and upcoming expansion it looks like a smart business decision rather than an act of desperation.

sinfolmatt
11-06-2009, 00:00
I think that AV would need to add much more support and help options before allowing free trials. A large influx of new players trying the game for 10 days for free can be bad if they all get frustrated trying to learn the interface and mechanics. AV need sot create something like an instruction manual and help notifications in game before free trials.

If AV did free trials it would have to go well, you don't want people to hate the game during free trial and never consider coming back and currently the first couple days in this game can be some of the toughest.

sinfolmatt
11-06-2009, 00:04
Yes there is renewed interest, but cash flow problems don't always mean an act of desperation. I am just trying to understand the business move or motivation for it. For example they could be hoping 1 to lock people in for 6 months of payments when the people may want to leave again shortly after the expansion or they may need cash now for something and figure offering the deal is a way to get the cash faster.

I guess this thread is more just my own speculations. And yes anyone could be right, perhaps AV is just doing it to bring more people back, etc ,etc.

thedrumchannell
11-06-2009, 00:14
For me being US on EU server paying almost 18 dollars a month, this is an awesome deal. No worries about the cash flow, just enjoy the game!

topgun
11-06-2009, 00:16
the only reason they are doing this is that they know alot of players, myself included, are reactivating and coming back to the game for the transfers. They want to offer this deal at a crucial time to make people buy a 6 month commitment so that they stick with the game for the next half year. It's a move to get players to dedicate to the game rather than coming back warily and not necessarily staying with it.

Orolt Lifebring
11-06-2009, 00:19
What I am saying is that they always offered a better price for 6 months over 1 month, but now they are offering a special 6 month price that is much lower than the previous one for a limited time.

EDIT: or was there no value in going for the 6 month sub before? if it was the same monthly cost as 1 month then nobody would have ever gotten a 6 month sub before

The 6 month didn't offer much advantages over the 3 months one. I think you saved like 5 euros in 6 months for that, or even less than that... But anyway, i agree with you it's quite a lot, but i'll personally let the marketing to them and worry about playing the game ;)

Caaahl
11-06-2009, 00:26
Call me naive, but i think it might be part of a big darkfall release 2.0 offensive:

2nd expansion + game boxes in retailers (hopefully) + 6 month deal + finally advertising (hopefully) = a lot of new players

:ninja:

sinfolmatt
11-06-2009, 00:49
fair enough. It def is a deal. Bad timing for me because i am not sure if I will be playing January through April because of work :(

Lexxer
11-06-2009, 01:05
When they announced transfers way back they said there would be a fee. However they have gone ahead and done it for free. If they needed money badly they would have charged for transfers.

JCatano
11-06-2009, 01:09
When they announced transfers way back they said there would be a fee. However they have gone ahead and done it for free. If they needed money badly they would have charged for transfers.

They always implied it would be for free.

Pyrostasis
11-06-2009, 01:10
Turbine with LOTRO and CCP with Eve both do yearly "Sales" on their subscriptions to lure folks in.

AV is doing this now due to transfers and the expansion, and quite honestly its a damn good idea. Lots of people will be coming back, and a 30% discount is enough to hook a lot of people.

Hell if I had the cash on hand I'd do it.

Is it a cash grab or signs of trouble? I dont think so. Its more an incentive to snag a longer term piece of the pie from returning players.

nisco17
11-06-2009, 01:21
It's lasting until what? December 10?

It could just be to reap in the people that are "on the line" about subscribing after the expansion is released.

But yeah, money is good.

Killernoob
11-06-2009, 03:40
Well really its normal on getting deals if u buy mulitpal months lmao. But if u think about it they said there making another MMORPG which i dont think there in any money trouble if they can pull off deving another game.

GRCPan
11-06-2009, 03:53
I think that they are just trying to bring more players to the game by having a very good offer. Maybe they also try to make more money from players that will quit after 1-2 months of play.

Akatsuki#1
11-06-2009, 04:45
Does anyone else find it interesting to suddenly offer the special price for 6 months of game time?

To me it sounds like AV is having trouble with its cash flows and needs to collect some money fast. That or maybe they want to make the sales jump before a year end or something.

Don't get me wrong, I want AV to do well and hope that I am reading into it too much, but they haven't given deals in the past for as far as I can remember so it makes me curious.

Seems to me like they're just trying to secure some players. If you check Aventurine's history you'll see that despite borrowing a lot of money, they have also done a lot of work for the Greek military which must have netted them some cash in addition to what they have made from Dark Fall thus far. If needs be, I'm sure they could find other jobs out-with the gaming industry to keep funds up - that is if they were struggling which I originally thought they may be until memory kicked in.

mechsword
11-06-2009, 05:21
they already know they're gunna get tons of resubbing players and probably tons of those players friends not to mention all the new ppl interested in the expansion and thinking this is the perfect time to join. so this is exactly what AV knows they need, a discount on a long term commitment to keep players in the game and seal the deal with all the other players wanting to come, while at the same time intriguing even more players.