PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more DF info!

Elviscide
11-04-2009, 00:39
Considering playing DF but I'd like a little more info! Maybe a little info on crafting, character spec's and abilities/powers/skills, trading/selling, gear and so on.
Also, I'd like to know if folks are destroying yet another game with add-ons/mods/3rd party cheater programs in general?

Laxe
11-04-2009, 00:58
oh i smell troll bait...

could write but a bit busy ingame :) just ignore all people who doesnt have EU1 Player under name

Orolt Lifebring
11-04-2009, 01:00
Considering playing DF but I'd like a little more info! Maybe a little info on crafting, character spec's and abilities/powers/skills, trading/selling, gear and so on.
Also, I'd like to know if folks are destroying yet another game with add-ons/mods/3rd party cheater programs in general?

Crafting isn't as good as it could. It's pretty repetitive and there are some crafting skills which everyone sooner or later takes. Armoursmithing/Weaponsmithing and Enchanting are the ones that work quite well though.

Abilities: Currently magic is much more powerful than archery or melee and it has much more possibilities, but they are supposedly fixing that for the next expansion which should be pretty soon. There is no skill cap or stat cap at all, you can have everything or whatever combination of anything you want. The issues are that there are some spells(known as big aoe nukes) which currently you can "cycle" through being quite op, but they are introducing a global cooldown on them so that doesn't happen and there's more thinking about what to do.

Trading is fine. People will say "trading is broken", "distances are too long" and blablabla, but i find trading to be pretty well in this game. They are also introducing player vendors in this expansion which should be pretty good if implemented correctly :)

As well there is a bit(not so much) of a problem about gear right now. Weapons are fine, people use high level weapons, they are worth the shit and not everyone can use them, but they don't give an incredibly big advantage. At least that's how i see it. However, heavy armour, being plate, full plate, infernal and dragon armour is barely used at all, because as i said magic is much more used and those armours give high encumbrance which make your magic casting much worse, because their protections aren't much higher than what bone gives(the armour pretty much everyone uses), and because they are much more expensive tha bone(a full bone set = ~500g, a plate set = ~2000g, full plate = ~10000, infernal = ~17000, dragon = ~45000). I don't even think anyone made a full dragon set yet. But as well they're fixing that on the expansion supposedly, as they stated they're increasing the magic protections for heavy armour.

There's some hackers, but people tend to blame their losses to hacking when it isn't hacking. I'd say more than 80% of the hacking accusations you'll hear aren't true. Including some i made myself(i'll take my time to say here that i accused a lot of dhw of hacking while thinking about it now, i don't think all of them were hacking; some of them were for sure tho). Apart from these "doubtful" accusations, i've been playing since the release 9 months ago and i've only seen 1 speedhacker in the distance once. There was and there is still(altho not so much) quite a lot of exploiting monsters and macroing. Macroing isn't that big of a deal, specially now with the skilling up rates on mobs and other stuff... and exploiting isn't really worth much now, and a lot less people do it.

Tenebrion
11-04-2009, 01:01
Once they add player-owned vendors in the coming "expansion", the economy will pick up a decent bit.

vanyok
11-04-2009, 01:12
Once they add player-owned vendors in the coming "expansion", the economy will pick up a decent bit.

Totally highjacking this topic but do you guys think they'll remove reagents from NPC vendors once player-owned vendors are added ?

DaveDFF
11-04-2009, 15:51
Totally highjacking this topic but do you guys think they'll remove reagents from NPC vendors once player-owned vendors are added ?

No, as the soft limits they have on basic reagent stop asshats screwing game basics for new starters.