PDA

View Full Version : Interwebs experts needed!

Rhelk
11-02-2009, 01:50
The situation:
I'm currently living in a shit-hole, middle-of-no-where college with terrible internet connections that has some very interesting effects on my ability to play darkfall and any other MMORPG. I used to be a big pvper but with this connection I can barely chop trees.

According to the "IT" department they have a single T1 line servicing around 700 students and faculty. Their excuse as to why they have trouble is all the peer to peer file sharing programs the students run.

What I experience:
Any time I have more than around 15 players in my proximity my ping will shoot up over 100,000. However, I still am able to see everything happen normally. This occurs most often when my city is raided. I'll see people fighting all around me but I won't be able to act. Also, when someone attacks me (in the last position I was in before my ping exploded) I see my character's health drop. I even get punted by fireballs and polearm attacks.
It's like I'm receiving information but not sending it.

I try to fight mobs in remote locations but these ping spikes often kill me. I'll see my ping at 5,000 (and climbing) so I try to run away. However, the game thinks i'm just standing still in the middle of the mob spawn so I'll see my character slowly die even though on MY screen i'm a mile away.

I would be fine with this if these didn't also happen randomly when there is NOTHING going on around me. I can be alone in the world chopping wood when my ping will spike into the 20,000s and often DC me (and be unable to log back in for about 5 minutes).

Solution:
The "IT" department has taken an oath to be as unhelpful as possible. Every time I bring this to their attention they brush me off. I come here with the hope that someone can provide a solution to this problem. Or, at least tell me what is going on with their servers. It's maddening!

Dave_sp!
11-02-2009, 01:54
If you have a bad connection you have a bad connection.

Rhelk
11-02-2009, 03:10
If you have a bad connection you have a bad connection.

You must work at the "IT" department. It's the same kind of answer they give me.

Cunning
11-02-2009, 03:13
You must work at the "IT" department. It's the same kind of answer they give me.

LOL!

/cough

And oh yeah, uh, man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Why not try and 'borrow' someones wireless, it might run better than what you got.

Zaffax
11-02-2009, 03:18

Just because something isn't the way you want it doesn't mean that it can be avoided. That is like complaining that you don't have enough water in the middle of the desert. Just because you complain doesn't mean that it will rain.

Rhelk
11-02-2009, 03:19
And oh yeah, uh, man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Why not try and 'borrow' someones wireless, it might run better than what you got.

There's no one I can barrow from. It's a college campus in the middle of nowhere.

Zaffax
11-02-2009, 03:21
There's no one I can barrow from. It's a college campus in the middle of nowhere.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_RMmVgRBLSVo/Sew_xuhzwtI/AAAAAAAAGks/LICuN_UIVKU/badInternet2%5B6%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
“How much freedom does your broadband provider offer?”

Rhelk
11-02-2009, 03:22
Just because something isn't the way you want it doesn't mean that it can be avoided. That is like complaining that you don't have enough water in the middle of the desert. Just because you complain doesn't mean that it will rain.

I'm looking for an experts opinion on what exactly is happening in the backround. How the servers might be running or blocking certain information. Or, perhaps other people have had this problem that might offer some insight.

Stop defending trolling cunts who add nothing to discussions. Or... perhaps you're defending one of your own.

Strondomir
11-02-2009, 03:23
The situation:
I'm currently living in a shit-hole, middle-of-no-where college with terrible internet connections that has some very interesting effects on my ability to play darkfall and any other MMORPG. I used to be a big pvper but with this connection I can barely chop trees.

According to the "IT" department they have a single T1 line servicing around 700 students and faculty. Their excuse as to why they have trouble is all the peer to peer file sharing programs the students run.

Solution:
The "IT" department has taken an oath to be as unhelpful as possible. Every time I bring this to their attention they brush me off. I come here with the hope that someone can provide a solution to this problem. Or, at least tell me what is going on with their servers. It's maddening!

Yep. And if they use the same connection for their intranet/internet, it will be that way. Even a T1 has limitations. And with 700 machines routed to the internet through their intranet, I'm suprised you're a getting a decent connection at all. I sure hope that out where you are, there is another ISP. If not, you're kinda screwed until they upgrade the T1 to a T3 or better.
There is just not enough bandwidth for that many machines.

Rhelk
11-02-2009, 03:25
Yep. And if they use the same connection for their intranet/internet, it will be that way. Even a T1 has limitations. And with 700 machines routed to the internet through their intranet, I'm suprised you're a getting a decent connection at all. I sure hope that out where you are, there is another ISP. If not, you're kinda screwed until they upgrade the T1 to a T3 or better.
There is just not enough bandwidth for that many machines.

I think it might be a T3. I can never remember which one is the larger.

Zaffax
11-02-2009, 03:29
I'm looking for an experts opinion on what exactly is happening in the backround. How the servers might be running or blocking certain information. Or, perhaps other people have had this problem that might offer some insight.

Stop defending trolling cunts who add nothing to discussions. Or... perhaps you're defending one of your own.

Nowhere in this thread are people trolling. As people have pointed out you are screwed and there is no way around it. Btw, thanks for paying for Darkfall, a game that you will never have the ability to play properly. If it is any consolidation though, you are funding a game that myself and others will be playing.

wormw00d
11-02-2009, 03:31

LOL...brilliant response

Rhelk
11-02-2009, 03:35
Nowhere in this thread are people trolling. As people have pointed out you are screwed and there is no way around it. Btw, thanks for paying for Darkfall, a game that you will never have the ability to play properly. If it is any consolidation though, you are funding a game that myself and others will be playing.

Trolls can never see themselves in mirrors. I guess they're like vampires.

Dave_sp!
11-02-2009, 03:45

That made me laugh!

The point i'm trying to make is that if its your internet connection thats causing the trouble then there isnt much you can do about it (short of renting a flat and getting a new isp i guess). I doubt the IT department is going to upgrade their system just so one guy can play games online, you could get a large group of people to complain about it until they do, but this would probably take ages or just not work

sweet_tooth
11-02-2009, 03:47
Sounds like you have satellite internet and they're just making shit about about a T1/T3 conn to charge you more loot.

Seriously though, I lived in a rural area for a few years and had to use satellite, and it was the same thing for me, because it downloads at very fast speeds but has upload comparable to dial-up.

Jemal
11-02-2009, 05:16
First off.. If you have that many student, people, etc. Which isn't uncommon in a college. I would almost 100% say B!@#$%^&* on there part.

A T1 line is slower then most 3 Mbps DSL connections. The only major difference between the two is that T1 has a 99.99% up time. Meaning it will not be down for more then 5 minutes in a year. Where as DSL has a chance.

Tell them that a price for a T1 line on average is $400 where as a T3 line is $1300-$1500

A T3 is 45 Mbps up and down.

What I would recommend. Is finding out what Ports use DFO. (Sorry I don't know that off hand) and ask them to open those ports for higher speeds after 5pmish or evening.

There are a number of programs that students have to do this with there IT department.

It's not unusual by default for most ports to have a limit on them. Just ask them to open those up during non-prime times.

That's my suggestion.

Oh... FYI - The college that I went to. Had 3000 students and we had an OC-3 line for the whole college. (155.52 Mbps Up and Down 99.99% Reliabilty)

Jemal

InDcent
11-02-2009, 05:17

It doesn't sound like anything is blocked. It sounds like exactly what you described... 700 people on a single T1 line.

Unfortunately, colleges do not utilize the massive ammounts of money you give them to make sure they have an adequate interweb or hire smart enough people to to run them. Nor should they really... they provide a service for you to do research, not play video games... it sucks, but that's the way it is... at almost all colleges.

What you are experiencing is packet loss. It could be the administrators' faults and things could be getting jammed up at their routers, but if the guy you've talked to actually knows his shit then the T1 line services 700+ people is the problem. A T1 line does not provide adequate bandwidth to service that many people. Nothing you could do besides look elsewhere for internet service imo.

Btw, even a T3 is not adequate for that many people... OC-3 maybe...

and the guy above me has no idea wtf he's talking about.. $400 for a T1 lmao

Good luck.