PDA

View Full Version : Expansion- Siege Mechanics

Mr. White
10-20-2009, 13:03
As you can probably understand there is a lot going on here at Aventurine with the player transfers, the second expansion, player forums, updated account management system, and much more coming up.

What we learned today is that the expansion will be delayed by a couple of weeks, until mid November because along with the new features being added to the game, the developers decided to include a major revamp of the siege and conquest mechanics. A lot of the changes they’re implementing also reflect on feedback given by the community. We'll try to find out more specifics on this and post an update about it.

lkx
10-20-2009, 13:05
Great!
This is a core feature of the game and it really needed a revamp!

Sanshi44
10-20-2009, 13:06
delay in patch is a pain but so worth the wait especialy with the new seige mechanic hope they work out well

Threeloves
10-20-2009, 13:06
Good, i would say take your time because this is really going to be a blast(the expansion) and will attract alot of new players. Ofcourse if its done in a wrong way it will have a negative effect.

Tedium
10-20-2009, 13:07
Dose this delay effect transfers?

Nathero
10-20-2009, 13:08
oke this is good news to bad about the delay though :(

blob
10-20-2009, 13:15
6 hours is too long period for lots of players to stay together same day so make it 3-4.

clan that owns city must be in defanece position not attacking there own city.

12 hour time that sets clan owning city when it can be attacked.

attacking side while sidge lasts have remote camp and bank that can be destroyed.

attacking side must annaounce sidge 12h before attack.

attacking side cant bank in sidged city.

Jango1337
10-20-2009, 13:18
if they fix everything the wait will be worth it but if it's another half **** fix it'll be disappointing...

ISVRaDa
10-20-2009, 13:19
Revamp of the siege system was necessary, good news.

Captain Kirk
10-20-2009, 13:19
The delay is really a BIG pain, we should get a magic fix asap its been going on like this for too long now. All it needs is a few hotfixes!

Larocco
10-20-2009, 13:20
The delay is really a BIG pain, we should get a magic fix asap its been going on like this for too long now. All it needs is a few hotfixes!

strongly agree with this.

Keno
10-20-2009, 13:20
6 hours is too long period for lots of players to stay together same day so make it 3-4.

attacking side while sidge lasts have remote camp and bank that can be destroyed.

This. Also would be nice to atleast get word on xfers and expansion notes.

Solvito
10-20-2009, 13:25
This. Also would be nice to atleast get word on xfers and expansion notes.
this..

i really dont care if they need two more weeks to have everything cool..

but ffs tell us what the xpac will contain...

Chuck Zitto
10-20-2009, 13:25
Good News mid november is not to far. Worth the wait for them to fix the siege mechanics. Please make it so you have to annouce when your gonna siege like 12-24 hours before it starts.

Jango1337
10-20-2009, 13:26

this please just a few patches to fix magic!!!

frankaslt
10-20-2009, 13:26
More waiting :/

GRCPan
10-20-2009, 13:27
How about releasing the expansion and add the new siege mechanics with a patch 2 weeks after the expansion?

There are many problems in the game that people expect to be fixed by this expansion. Surely siege mechanics are one of the major things that need fixing, but you can't delay every other fix just for one fix, that can come later on its own.

raffraff
I would much prefer that this came in a seperate later patch and the expansion went ahead as planned... I hope there is a good reason not to do this. 2 weeks is a long time when fatal problems like massively overpowered magic exist in the game.

blob
clan and alliance dont depend will one man (shardholder) crash because of computer or ISP.

Ezar
10-20-2009, 13:28
Could you tell the devs that we do not need a whole ton of insanely huge updates in only 1 single patch? If you would do the siege overhaul the patch after this patch (a patch yeah, please stop calling these normal patches expensions) then everyone would be happy.

More and more people leave the game every day and increasing the wait time is not going to help a lot.

I hope this will not delay the transfers because alliances are breaking up and new ones are not formed as noone is sure who will be left after the transfers, causing periods of no action and boringness (= more people leaving the game day by day).

Sanshi44
10-20-2009, 13:29
can i requst a revamp on clan structure to better fitt he larger races getting sick of needing 2 duck 2 enter building run up stairs and all the crap while chasing people or running to heal

Falesh
10-20-2009, 13:29
I would much rather they release some stuff rather then waiting for a huge patch with everything in it.

Tren
10-20-2009, 13:32
Thats ok, Take your time on this, you can’t really afford to screw it up.
I do however expect that this expansion will be great and will turn the game around. But if it fails to deliver, I for one won’t be hanging around waiting for a third expansion.

Hauberk
They don't make any sense.

Why don't they go along with their previous deadline, and revamp the siege stuff in a patch afterwards? Why do they have to push everything back?

Something's fishy.

Jango1337
can i requst a revamp on clan structure to better fitt he larger races getting sick of needing 2 duck 2 enter building run up stairs and all the crap while chasing people or running to heal

4lr? :)

Laxe
WHERE IS MAGIC AOE QUICKPATCH TWEAK

till end of november this game will be dead if u WONT FUCKING BALANCE what u messed up with last paches

Sanshi44
10-20-2009, 13:34
WHERE IS MAGIC AOE QUICKPATCH TWEAK

till end of november this game will be dead if u WONT FUCKING BALANCE what u messed up with last paches

its called the archery magekiller + other melee and archery stuff they r adding ( magic is for aoe (seiges) archery for pve and small scale

Elmi
10-20-2009, 13:34
While as customer i'd prefer more regular smaller patches, i understand that huge patches (or expansions) require less testing resources. And we all know how tight their QA team is.

stingerII
10-20-2009, 13:37

what's a couple of weeks more to you?

I rather wait a little longer and get a whole solid package than get some scanty rushed work done now only to suffer the consequences later when the expansion is added in Nov

that said, I also am really wanting to see this patch out

Falesh
10-20-2009, 13:42
what's a couple of weeks more to you?

It's probably a month and it is a big deal as we have been waiting for it to implement some very important things. It is a seriously bad move pushing it back.

Drasked
10-20-2009, 13:43
28 nov.

Hopefully it will be worth it.

Paganizer
10-20-2009, 13:43
Must admit I would rather have smaller, steady updates instead of the months of waiting for an "expansion". There are issues that should have been balanced/fixed long ago.

Hauberk
10-20-2009, 13:45
I actually recently (yesterday) resubscribed in order to try out this expansion.. Huge mistake, I've learnt my lesson.

Leave it to AV.

Adûn_East
So despite the 10k threads per day about how PVP is broken due to magic (not the best state of affairs for a game with only PVP content) - we just have to "stick it out" now till "mid november". Besides the patch that increased the gains so even casuals could chain cycle and take part in the skillful aoe spam, there hasn't been a single significant update to the game in 3.5 months.

Getting small patches and hotfixes in between the larger implementations would go so far, and are so necessary, but they don't seem to happen. And now obviously everyone is going to clamor about how this effects transfers and when if ever will we see a spotlight with actual relevant information... (not info about potential roaming deers...)

Joschmo
Df needs the big magicfix NOW!

Alberton
10-20-2009, 13:47
I don't mind waiting until mid-november but you really should list the features for the expansion asap. Anticipation of the changes is often as good as the changes themselves, and will generate interest in mmo circles.

Yes we know some things may not make it through testing and will have to wait for a bugfix, but thats fine, shit happens.

Just be honest and open with your clients and we will repay that trust with loyalty, lie to and patronise us and well, you know what happens.

Keno
its called the archery magekiller + other melee and archery stuff they r adding ( magic is for aoe (seiges) archery for pve and small scale

For the 900th time, buffing archery and melée will not fix the aoe spam problem.

JCatano
Transfer information ASAP.

I'm barely... BARELY hanging on.

Does this delay affect transfers?

Two weeks isn't alot, until you realize many of us have been waiting for transfers since February 25th.

Junkaboy
10-20-2009, 13:51
I would also prefer 2 patches... one now with the urgent stuff, and one next month with new siege stuff.

Sleepwalkerr
10-20-2009, 13:53
the population of this game really needs this exp..

Azorius
10-20-2009, 13:53
Seriously FIX THE MAGIC! I quit due to it and will not subscribe again till its fixed!

Spinx
10-20-2009, 13:54
FS. Why can't you release the exp then do the siege patch after? The balancing is more important!:bang:

Alberton
10-20-2009, 13:54
Doing multiple patches with such a small test team is inefficient.

I'd rather we get one release, fully system and regression tested.

Falesh
10-20-2009, 13:58
Could this overwhelming wish for the archery/melee/magic changes to be implemented now change the devs mind on the delay of everything?

evilsuxxor
10-20-2009, 14:00
small patches > less bugs and exploiting holes

Jango1337
10-20-2009, 14:02
Could this overwhelming wish for the archery/melee/magic changes to be implemented now change the devs mind on the delay of everything?

obviously the dev's don't read the hundreds of post about fixing magic....

kozukak2
10-20-2009, 14:05
my subscription ended some weeks ago while i was waiting for the expansion and now they delay it? xD Someone is loosing money here ^^

chokke
10-20-2009, 14:05
Great, more swimming..

empa
10-20-2009, 14:07
The delay is a bitch tho.

But what are you gonna change please give us some info what exactly is comming.

James Troll
10-20-2009, 14:08
So what about siege mechanisms ? Do you have anything interesting to share ?

(btw it's S[i]ege not Seige)

chokke
10-20-2009, 14:14
The delay is a bitch tho.

But what are you gonna change please give us some info what exactly is comming.

They're pretty clear about it.
Bug fixes, balancing and rewamps:cool:

Austin420
10-20-2009, 14:16
sigh, good to hear they want to fix the siege system but waiting until December really... god i love 30 hour work weeks for a mmo team!

.Go.
10-20-2009, 14:16
If you delay the transfers you will kill the game.
Up to you.

Deviruchi
10-20-2009, 14:20
i don t think ill last that long.

everyone has 3x 100 magics (including myself) and its getting OLD and boring super fast.

why not release that exp and then a siege patch? it makes no sense!

ninogan
10-20-2009, 14:22
A delay from AV is never really a surprise anymore but it still stings. If they can deliver some good siege changes then I guess that's neat though.

DocMartin
10-20-2009, 14:36
The delay is really a BIG pain, we should get a magic fix asap its been going on like this for too long now.
agree

Laxe
10-20-2009, 14:41
i suggest that all make multiple topics about request to fix magics, maybe after we flood this shithole with 1000000 topics they will notice one of it and login theyr game to see how battles happen outside goblinspawn...

lkx
10-20-2009, 14:45
see the bright side: it would have been delayed anyway, but in this way they have to put in another important fix to a gamebreaking flaw! :p

lkx
10-20-2009, 14:45
i suggest that all make multiple topics about request to fix magics, maybe after we flood this shithole with 1000000 topics they will notice one of it and login theyr game to see how battles happen outside goblinspawn...

actually this might work...

Kasmos
10-20-2009, 14:52
*sigh* Well I guess it's time to play the waiting game... again. At least I have Borderlands to keep me busy until then (seeing as I won't be playing Darkfall...)

I hope you guys realize that giving us "tentative" patch notes at this point in time would be greatly beneficial to you as a company and would make us, your customers, greatly happy. I have no fucking clue what to expect anymore in this expansion, and it seems like everyone is riding on the hope that it's some miracle.

If you're going to delay it because you're adding more shit into the expansion then fine, just keep us more in the loop of things then just saying, "Well, we're delaying it for another month because we're changing the siege mechanics." Awesome! But HOW are you changing the siege mechanics? HOW are you changing naval combat? Etc etc....

Solvito
10-20-2009, 15:01
seems like devs dont play the game theyve created...

Skinstripper
10-20-2009, 15:04
Perhaps they're just using the siege mechanics change as an excuse to keep working on the larger patch, since they're not finished, nor even close. The smartest thing to do is to release the patch and provide transfers, then bring in the code change to siege mechanics later. People would re-sub and others wouldn't leave.

Laxe
10-20-2009, 15:05
1. say if u will ever try to fix/change magics not add fluff to archery
2. do transfers so EU can rebuild clans/aliances and get out of frozen sell/statexp faze

Laxe
10-20-2009, 15:10
the fact is that we dont need expansion or any fluff till we get simple small patfix to bring back diversity like it was before everyone was posible to max magics with 6x failpatch who brought no rebalance

Abaratican
10-20-2009, 15:11
Even if they postpone the expansions, transfers need to happen NOW. People are tired of waiting for it, the crybabies that can't adapt to the game can cry a bit longer about not being able to sprint at a ranged opponent with nothing but a 2h and a dream with hopes to melee them down without using any other skill to supplement it, but I don't think the game population can tolerate waiting longer to rejoin their NA brethren. I'm a very, very patient man... and I'm just getting tired of waiting for transfers. Most others are probably much more intolerant of this, and many of them are likely ragequitting due to their lack of patience/spine. So, it would be wise to push transfers ahead instead of grouping it with that other garbage that's taking you months to finish. Transfers should be nothing more than executing a bunch of queries based on the character's name/id, then importing that data into the other server's database; this has no relation at all to the rest of the expansion... DONT GROUP IT TOGETHER, LET US TRANSFER.

tldr; let us transfer now, expansion/"balancing" can wait, but that can't.

Jango1337
10-20-2009, 15:16
the fact is that we dont need expansion or any fluff till we get simple small patfix to bring back diversity like it was before everyone was posible to max magics with 6x failpatch who brought no rebalance

you will never have diversity with how copy and paste magic is and how you can have everything.

Lumanil
10-20-2009, 15:17

Why don't they go along with their previous deadline, and revamp the siege stuff in a patch afterwards? Why do they have to push everything back?

Something's fishy.

Because they wanted to revamp the siege-mechanics since the first day, they thought of the 2nd expansion, but they didn't tell us.
So they have now a good excuse to delay this patch because they overrated themselves again, when telling us the October date. :D

Kaerion
10-20-2009, 15:22
I have stopped playing 15 days ago. Now my sub is done and I will w8 another month till the expansion.
I hope this one will be the "final" release of this game and they balance all the problems with magic and other things.

Kasmos
10-20-2009, 15:24
Even if they postpone the expansions, transfers need to happen NOW. People are tired of waiting for it, the crybabies that can't adapt to the game can cry a bit longer about not being able to sprint at a ranged opponent with nothing but a 2h and a dream with hopes to melee them down without using any other skill to supplement it, but I don't think the game population can tolerate waiting longer to rejoin their NA brethren. I'm a very, very patient man... and I'm just getting tired of waiting for transfers. Most others are probably much more intolerant of this, and many of them are likely ragequitting due to their lack of patience/spine. So, it would be wise to push transfers ahead instead of grouping it with that other garbage that's taking you months to finish. Transfers should be nothing more than executing a bunch of queries based on the character's name/id, then importing that data into the other server's database; this has no relation at all to the rest of the expansion... DONT GROUP IT TOGETHER, LET US TRANSFER.

tldr; let us transfer now, expansion/"balancing" can wait, but that can't.

I would listen to what you had to say if I didn't know already you want/think this game is strictly an MMOFPS. Does it hurt you that they're adding a lot of RPG elements to this game?

Of course you want to transfer right now, you're probably in desperate need of "pew pew'ing". Maybe you should have done what I did and go to NA-1 when it launched :ohno:

weaselmode
10-20-2009, 15:25
You never mentioned that you were behind time on the original expansion content, so why not put that into live now? Why do you find it necessary to delay the ENTIRE expansion due to an additional change which could be implemented, when it is ready, as a patch???

lanigav
OMG capture the flag sieges ftw!!! Atleast i hope so.

smcgrath
:)AV you guys are the best!:)

Laxe
10-20-2009, 15:27
funfact if u wouldnt wait transfers but would make new char on NA you would have more advanced char than thos u gona transfer XDD

extant1
10-20-2009, 15:28
What's with all the whining and demanding here? Boo hoo..

I've been waiting since Feb as well to transfer and my only solace is coming here waiting for the day of good news. Instead all I see is whining, if you assume the devs are ignoring the forums then I automatically think you're idiots but in the remote chance you might be right did it ever occur that there are thousands of posts to wade through in order to read posts that actually contribute something useful? Seriously, if you're that unhappy keep it to yourself or write a book.

As for the difference between patch and expansion it's semantics, when you have you're own game then you can call the shots until then stop comparing everything to other games and get over it.

On a more serious note, if the devs are still listening which I am sure you are please, please, don't hinder the character transfers until the expansion is ready. I look forward to resubscribing to play with friends. I don't need an expansion to have fun although it most certainly is an added bonus.

Just think of the benefits, if there are any bugs you have a couple thousand people here to report any bug and before someone gets up on their high horse to complain there has been bugs in every game, application ever invented. It happens, so deal with it and if you can't then uninstall the game and don't forget to format you're computer since one assumes you're using Microsoft windows of whatever version which is proof of you're willingness to look past problems.

schlock
10-20-2009, 15:43
Revamping the siege mechanics is very welcome news.
Like many posts above have stated, it would be nice to go ahead with the expansion without the siege mechs add and do the siege as an update a few weeks later. There is an obvious imbalance concerning magic that needs to be addressed right now.
Of course, doing a hot fix to balance things out a bit would satisfy me and I'm sure most everybody else.
Waiting is not the issue, game imbalance is.

Thanks for the updates.

kingkongbanana
10-20-2009, 15:45
strongly agree with this.

I also agree.

Erendir
10-20-2009, 15:48
what we need is a server in the middle of the ocean so euros and NA can play together on the same server. EU-1 is gonna finally really bite it after transfers.. who cares about patches if there's nobody left playing on the server you play on?

SSguy
10-20-2009, 15:55
I like how there are some people telling us not to whine...then proceed to whine/beg themselves. Good job there, make forumfall proud.

Anyway, if they have too small of a QA team, they can hire more people. Either than or release even smaller patches, just as long as we see some things getting fixed rather than wait for a month to get a bug fixed or some problem balanced out.

Dezul
10-20-2009, 15:57
AV should hold off all expansions and patches until the end of the year and then launch one giant mega patch on January 1st, 2010 which will blow everybody away!

kingkongbanana
10-20-2009, 16:02
AV should hold off all expansions and patches until the end of the year and then launch one giant mega patch on January 1st, 2010 which will blow everybody away!

yeah good idea. The 25 left playing this game would be extatic!

Kiad
10-20-2009, 16:07

I love afgans crying for magic fix after the rest of the server got them.

Banok
10-20-2009, 16:09
it was obviously going to get delayed anyway so good new imo

Sleepwalkerr
10-20-2009, 16:09
another month of na players afk macroing, and less players each day.

Sinny
10-20-2009, 16:11
Will be be recieving patch notes early too see what some of the changes are or do we have to wait until it's been released?

BlueOreo
10-20-2009, 16:12
Please... for the love of professionalism correct the spelling error in this thread's title.

McDoogs
10-20-2009, 16:12
another month of na players afk macroing, and less players each day.

he said the expansion is pushed back to mid november, not transfers

DwellerBelow
10-20-2009, 16:16

3-4 hours is too long for caffinated, stoned, drunk video gamers, make it 2 hrs.

I can only sit for so long before I gotta pee.

Protection shards are basically a scheduling mechanism, I feel a 6 hour vulnerability, or even 4 hours, per day would enable most any decent clan to pick a time when they have people on.

Bank could be owners and allies only, that would be interesting.

Attackers setting up a 'camp' w/ temporary bindstone, bank, tents, and campfire, all very vulnerable and destructable, would be cool.

Ok, any upgrade to siege would be cool.

FastEddy
10-20-2009, 16:16
Transfers are only pushed back until next Friday.

DwellerBelow
10-20-2009, 16:17
oke this is good news to bad about the delay though :(

Geez, did you really expect anything to be on time?

Cyric1966
10-20-2009, 16:17
my subscription ended some weeks ago while i was waiting for the expansion and now they delay it? xD Someone is loosing money here ^^

Hell, I cancelled mine in March to wait for NA Server. I think they are losing more than they know.

Ighox
10-20-2009, 16:20
Does this delay effect transfers?

This is something a lot of people are probably wondering.
I'm assuming it doesn't as this post was just that the expansion was delayed and transfers aren't a feature of the expansion (as far as I'm aware); it's just that they both were scheduled for around the same time.

On the topic on what's being discussed in this thread at the moment:
I'm also one of those hoping AV starts doing patches more frequently instead of massive patches called expansions.
I really do hope they learn soon, the previous expansion was a good example, they delayed it because of the weather system but when they patched the weather system wasn't working properly so they had to disable it again and the expansion introduced like at least 10 bugs/exploits that were pretty bad.
All patches with such a big amount of content will bring bugs like in the past and it's much easier to fix them fast if there's just one bug after a weekly patch than to fix 10 bugs fast after an expansion.

I honestly believe, that if there was a patch that just consisted of a few bug fixes and introduced the elemental bows, the issue with acid bows 'critting' would have been fixed much quicker.
(acid bows just being an example here.)

Karac
10-20-2009, 16:21
I don't mind waiting until mid-november but you really should list the features for the expansion asap. Anticipation of the changes is often as good as the changes themselves, and will generate interest in mmo circles.

This. Please give us some informations at least about the specialization thing.

Ighox
10-20-2009, 16:22
This. Please give us some informations at least about the specialization thing.

No, caravan info please because noone thinks it will be even a half-decent feature with how global banking/recalling/runestones currently work.

DwellerBelow
10-20-2009, 16:23

'Fix'

hmm, I seem to recall getting my dog, 'fixed'.

It's what magic needs.

Azraine
10-20-2009, 16:26
Yea i have to say, sure the overhaul to sieges is good news, but there are things that need to be fixed soon. As planned. Releasing SOOO many changes in one patch, is just asking for loads of bugs.

The state of pvp atm really needs to be changed.

coder1024
10-20-2009, 16:30
thanks for the update! a delay is no big deal, even though you may get some complaints about it. Well worth it to get it right and to put in things that will improve sieging.

Aristos
10-20-2009, 16:40
Could we at least get a hotfix to magic? A quick change in the damage layout of spells would do wonders...less damage for the big nukes and more damage for rays/bolts...

Global cooldown for opposing schools would be amazing as well

Sin'jin
10-20-2009, 16:43
Pushing the next /cough "expansion" back a month is a very bad idea. Your game is losing players daily. Quit with the big patches and go to a series of hotfix's etc..

Yes seige mechanics need a total rehaul but trying to add into the announced patch and pusing it back a month is going to lose you alot of subs....

stupid

StephenColbert
10-20-2009, 16:45
Why do you guys have to release every change in some giant patch (expansion)? Why not work on certain changes, get them working, and then release them rather than building them all up for months to all be released together? I'll go ahead and answer my own question right here: Mid-november means just after the next round of subscription renewals, to maximize income before this patch makes or breaks the game.

metaman
10-20-2009, 16:46
Seriously some of the ppl on this forums behave like little kids crying for candy. Why cant AV get some time to actually testout the new patch for bugs, etc.. before rolling it out? Would u rather them rollout a patch than have to rollback later and than the server goes down for 4-6hours? or horrors the whole day?

Cut them some slack, if u like Darkfall go raid, pvp, whatever... if u didnt like Darkfall, I guess u never will dont fool yourself.

Tibernicus
10-20-2009, 16:51
'Fix'

hmm, I seem to recall getting my dog, 'fixed'.

It's what magic needs.

The expansion is releasing a large number of perks and customization options... If they nerf magic now they throw allll of that balance out the window.

Tibernicus
10-20-2009, 16:52
Why do you guys have to release every change in some giant patch (expansion)? Why not work on certain changes, get them working, and then release them rather than building them all up for months to all be released together? I'll go ahead and answer my own question right here: Mid-november means just after the next round of subscription renewals, to maximize income before this patch makes or breaks the game.

They patched every single week for like the first 3 months. They haven't "always saved everything up for a big expansion". They are very clearly busy.

Slaker
10-20-2009, 16:54
Good news, I can't wait for this expansion.

gizmo87100
10-20-2009, 16:55
i m so disappointed !! patch siege mecanism later we can wait for that !

Falesh
10-20-2009, 17:01
Seriously some of the ppl on this forums behave like little kids crying for candy. Why cant AV get some time to actually testout the new patch for bugs, etc.. before rolling it out? Would u rather them rollout a patch than have to rollback later and than the server goes down for 4-6hours? or horrors the whole day?

Cut them some slack, if u like Darkfall go raid, pvp, whatever... if u didnt like Darkfall, I guess u never will dont fool yourself.

Why shouldn't we give feedback on their decision to push back a very important patch rather then release a separate one for the siege changes?

w0rm

qft

gizmo87100
like a lots of ppl see you later in 1 month :)

Zahtam
10-20-2009, 17:19
I agree that the need to re-prioritize and break down the content additions into a seprate patches than the balance and bug issues. It isn't right to have your players continue under the current conditions pvp is under now, and is detrimental to the growth of the game. The longer the wait for this fix, the more the negative attitude festers and more players filter out.

However I think improved siege mechanics should come with transfers. AV is aware this will be a heavy time for siege activity transfers will create and wants to maximize this unique experience that the game will have. The better they can make the EU flood of players coming over, the stronger the game will come out in the long run. If you were impatient about getting to the NA server you should have bought the client like all the other impatient people out there.

Adûn_East
10-20-2009, 17:25
imo, av's biggest problem isn't incompetence, just consistent lack of foresight.

L-C
10-20-2009, 17:25
You know they could have just done a seperate Siege Mechanics patch in a few weeks. I really wish they wouldn't treat their subscribers like total idiots... Oh wait... Nevermind!

StephenColbert
10-20-2009, 17:26
They patched every single week for like the first 3 months. They haven't "always saved everything up for a big expansion". They are very clearly busy.

No, they didn't ;) You obviously don't remember the first 3 months very well. Regardless, they saved up patches for the "expansion" in the summer, and they are doing it again now.

MikeJT
10-20-2009, 17:39
This is quite annoying. I wish they'd announced this 2 days earlier.

I was going to let my sub expire and then wait for the expansion to be released before re-subbing, but when it expired I figured "oh the expansion is only 11-13 days away I might as well resub."

If I had known the expansion was going to be delayed I certainly wouldn't've resubbed.

This time, if the expansion isn't out by the time I come up for subscription renewal, I'm DEFINITELY not resubbing until it's released and patched for bugs.

peertje
10-20-2009, 17:41

exactly. Harry Potter Online has been pissing me off for too long now, the upcoming expansion keeps me rolling but another delay, goddamnit

Kasmos
10-20-2009, 17:45
You know they could have just done a seperate Siege Mechanics patch in a few weeks. I really wish they wouldn't treat their subscribers like total idiots... Oh wait... Nevermind!

To be fair, it would make sense to completely revamp the siege mechanics before transfers. What's going to happen the first few days after EU-1 to NA-1 transfers? Fucking... mayhem.... and what better way to attract new players then to have a revised and working sieging system instead of the crap they have now?

samureyed
10-20-2009, 17:48
Everyone's arguing about a magic fix. Did I miss something? I don't remember them stating any "fix" to magic. They did mention giving love to melee and archery to balance it against magic... what are these upcoming fixes to magic that have been announced by AV?

Also.. stop complaining because you KNOW 90% of you are going to be praising and thanking AV when the official notes come out like always. Patience young grasshoppas.

boxfetish
10-20-2009, 17:49
I would much prefer that this came in a seperate later patch and the expansion went ahead as planned... I hope there is a good reason not to do this. 2 weeks is a long time when fatal problems like massively overpowered magic exist in the game.

Don't be naive. The expansion isn't going to be anywhere near ready for a month so they are using the smoke screen of "adding" siege fixes to justify the delay.

Something's fishy.

Seems pretty obvious to me that they would be releasing the expansion as planned and a patch for siege fixes in a month, if the expanision was anywhere near ready.

kingkongbanana
10-20-2009, 17:53
Don't be naive. The expansion isn't going to be anywhere near ready for a month so they are using the smoke screen of "adding" siege fixes to justify the delay.

Seems pretty obvious to me that they would be releasing the expansion as planned and a patch for siege fixes in a month, if the expanision was anywhere near ready.

Not to mention that we have been told fuckall about the upcomming expansion. Changing siege mechanic could have been in the plan of the expansion all along. Everyone that are happy that they are taking time to fix the current placeholdersystem is fooling themselves.

ZtyX
10-20-2009, 17:59
I sincerely approve of this decision.. The community has really been asking a lot for better sieges for a long time now. Its jut not good enough now with the shardholder crashing. With bindstone kicking and with such long waiting times. .. :(

People just dont want to siege unless they really have to. And thats also the reason why everyone the server comes to one siege to zerg each other. They want to be in a siege, but they dont want to be the ones that have to sit for 5 hours doing nothing. Only to have the shardholder crash at the last moment..

Dingbat
10-20-2009, 18:06
I'm happy with a delay if it means new or revamped features!

Thanks for the warning!

Leg enD
10-20-2009, 18:09
NO to any kind of asset protection.

if you dont already know the bad sides to it, they're not worth explaining as your a F$%K"^g retard.

why do holdings have to be different from everything else in the game?

next they'll be asking to make ships impossible to be sailed away unless abandoned for 5mins..

Cloud Stryphe
10-20-2009, 18:10
Well they outsmarted me, I wouldn't have re-subbed if I knew it would have taken 2 months instead of 1. I know a few friends that were holding out playing Aion to try darkfall.... they won't wait anymore. -Thumbs down-

xpiher
10-20-2009, 18:17
Well they outsmarted me, I wouldn't have re-subbed if I knew it would have taken 2 months instead of 1. I know a few friends that were holding out playing Aion to try darkfall.... they won't wait anymore. -Thumbs down-

if you dont like the grind of darkfall you won't like the grind of Aion because its worse ... unless you care more about shinies.

Any word on what the revamp will entail. I wouldn't mind a teaser.

Cloud Stryphe
10-20-2009, 18:20
if you dont like the grind of darkfall you won't like the grind of Aion because its worse ... unless you care more about shinies.

I don't want to play Aion... I have no problem with grind.

I said that I finally succeeded in getting some friends to try darkfall when the patch comes out... but they're not gonna wait this extra month. Can't blame them.

A teaser would be nice, or a test server of some sort...

xpiher
10-20-2009, 18:22
I would listen to what you had to say if I didn't know already you want/think this game is strictly an MMOFPS. Does it hurt you that they're adding a lot of RPG elements to this game?

Of course you want to transfer right now, you're probably in desperate need of "pew pew'ing". Maybe you should have done what I did and go to NA-1 when it launched :ohno:

And you wasted $50 doing so since the transfer "fee" is nothing more than the sub cost. Hows it feel to rip yourself off?

Willwh
10-20-2009, 18:46
Straight forward communication and updates like this are essential to a happy community.

Fantastic work from the Greens & Aventurine company wide - thank you for being up front!

Can't wait to see what we get come mid November! Keep up the good work!

blob
10-20-2009, 18:51
9 pages of crying for 2 more weeks.

- add more protection to helmets whit better walls

- add player made spikes (woodcutting, better skill more dur.) that can be placed on walls

- add Cauldrons whit boiling water or something (alchemy)

- add some kind of strategy connection betwen 2 towns,helmets that belong to same clan or alliance (some bonus like faster caravans , shared player vendors)

Adûn_East
10-20-2009, 18:51
Straight forward communication and updates like this are essential to a happy community.

Fantastic work from the Greens & Aventurine company wide - thank you for being up front!

lol good god

Robin392
10-20-2009, 18:53

Agreed, however, I'd like a quick update on how this setback will effect transfers. I'm pretty certain they will be pushed back as well, and I don't mind that too much, but an official confirmation/estimation on this would be nice.

Keno
10-20-2009, 18:59

lol @ the community staff who actually THINKS this will reach the mid November deadline. I just wish they would put out the expansion as planned, work and fix the bugs from it(cause there will be plenty of them) than after they are satisfied, work on the siege system. Either way, I would really like the notes on the expansion so we know what to look forward to.

SHo
10-20-2009, 19:03

This

Sarphus
10-20-2009, 19:27
I think this was an excellent decision. I really think the devs have been making a lot of good decisions and I'm really happy with the direction the game is going.

The current seige system is too much of a time sink. I hope whatever you guys come up with comes up with a much quicker outcome than what we have now.

KOS allgriefers
10-20-2009, 19:28

LOL are you high? People have level capped in 3 weeks. I have been playing darkfall since march 09 and I still have things I need to work on. Aions grind is worse LOL.

kil_2k
10-20-2009, 19:34
SB had a great system. Siege times were set by the defender and went live two days after they were placed. No waking up to discover you no longer own that city / hamlet you had when you logged off because some people who didn't want a fight sieged you at a cuntish time.

How long they lasted depended on what happened at the siege - they weren't based on an insane 6 hour timer. Could be 10 mins, could be a few hours, but if it lasted for hours, that meant there was constant action. Not like the four hour wait we currently have in DF.

Will be interesting to see what the DF devs do to change it.

chokke
10-20-2009, 19:36
Funny that the argument for not releasing the expansion, and add the siege mechanics later is because it would cause mayham. Then let me ask, what different would it be compared to now, except more people?

xpiher
10-20-2009, 19:36
LOL are you high? People have level capped in 3 weeks. I have been playing darkfall since march 09 and I still have things I need to work on. Aions grind is worse LOL.

It is. Once you get to level cap you need to grind out millions of abyss points to get cap. Top 1k transformation take something like 300k abyss points that you lose (%) upon death.To get the top 100 transform + the competitive gear you need to spend a solid 6months of just grinding hard core 10hrs + a day. Thats not even max. Darkfall competitive level is like what a month now?

Kasmos
10-20-2009, 19:38
And you wasted $50 doing so since the transfer "fee" is nothing more than the sub cost. Hows it feel to rip yourself off?

Considering I make $50 in 2.3 hours at my job, I'd consider it a wise investment instead of being ripped off.

Let's see here...

- I got to start fresh on a server with MUCH LESS exploiting and bugs then EU-1 at launch
- I got to be involved in a lot of the initial server politics
- I got a better ping

Um... not a rip off at all. Now, if I had dropped $50 on Aion... that'd be a different story.

MrDDT
10-20-2009, 19:41
Thanks for the update. Im not playing now (I cancled my account but someone needs my account so I had to start it back up again).

Anyways can we get any details on the system?

Im (and many others) are still watching to see what are in the minds of the devs on how this plays out.

EyeBeatWomen
10-20-2009, 19:42
They never said anything about transfers....

Oh well. Unsubbed till transfers. This is bs.... I don't play darkfall for months because only make transfers available a year later.

I really REALLY hope they are not delaying transfers.

Lynchet
10-20-2009, 19:44
Pathetic decision. Fine add new seige mechanics in mid November but give us the rest of the expansion now as promised. Ive basically stopped playing atm as the current game is so flawed and this just tempts me to unsub -- I know 2 weeks is hardly an eternity but its yet again AV saying nothing for ages and then coming out with a crap excuse for not producing results.

ikhoefnix
10-20-2009, 19:52
people are going to bitch about the delay, no doubt.

i dont mind though, as i trust AV's judgement.

they have yet to let me down.

Nitsua185
10-20-2009, 19:54
The expansion delay is fine, but PLEAAAAASSEEEE dont delay transfers. Both servers are stagnant atm(especially EU-1) because everyone knows that they will be leaving the soon shortly.

Transfers need to happen ASAP!!!

Also, you could quell some of this whining and bickering if you could atleast clue us in on whats coming with the expansion. We dont even need full patch notes, just give us some half-assed patchnotes and most will be happy.

Euvici
10-20-2009, 19:57
Transfer information ASAP.

I'm barely... BARELY hanging on.

Does this delay affect transfers?

Two weeks isn't alot, until you realize many of us have been waiting for transfers since February 25th.

BUMP for Justice

same boat

seriously transfers stil better be on time...oh wait :bang:

kil_2k
10-20-2009, 20:04
Maybe they both are linked. I believe [hope] that they are going to start advertising right after the expac is released / stable as it would be pointless to do it now. EU-1 with no population influx after the transfers go through = fucked.

Archetype90
10-20-2009, 20:17
While I am happy there will be siege mechanic changes (it is much needed), I am very disappointed there will be a delay in the patch. I never thought expansions were a good idea. There is so much that needs to be fixeds that small hotfixes would have been a much more appealing way of doing things. This is just another example, in my opinion, where the patch should be released, and then a few weeks later the siege mechanic update introduced, then a few weeks later another update, etc.

I cannot say that I am surprised, as this is on par for the Aventurine course, but yet again disappointed.

fitzbean
10-20-2009, 20:24
I love how a 2 week delay is a mere footnote like it's no big deal.

Also, I don't feel great about them trying to add too much at once. We all know what happens with that. Bugfest. They simply don't have the means to test content to any degree ahead of time. My feeling is do the expansion without any siege changes, then do those changes in the following weeks.

Ops -- didnt notice the poster right above me said the same exact thing. Great minds think alike :)

Eleventy
10-20-2009, 20:28
i called it!

two week delay

lkx
10-20-2009, 20:33
A lot of you can't see this: This expansion HAVE TO be amazing.
It might be the last chance for Darkfall, so it have to address as how much flaws as they can, and sieges are a core feature of the game and the current amazing are a critical flaw in the current state.

Drathe
10-20-2009, 20:33
I agree with the changes to the siege mechanics, but why put so much on your plate at once? If you release a giant patch at once theres a lot more room for error and bugs then releasing small bits at a time. I can see a big patch every once in a blue moon, but the game just started.

This game needs hot fixes and quick patches more than giant expansions.

lkx
10-20-2009, 20:34
A lot of you can't see this: This expansion HAVE TO be amazing.
It might be the last chance for Darkfall, so it have to address as much flaws as they can, and sieges are a core feature of the game and the current rules are a critical flaw.

Arkh
10-20-2009, 20:46
I already imagine it : on 11/07, a message saying they need to rework the alignment system so the expansion and transfer are delayed for 2 weeks.

Jeronimoo
10-20-2009, 20:50
Would love to see also a cooldown on Wary - Neutral - Friendly which would probably end 'self-sieges' or at least make them extremely difficult. I know they already have a cooldown, but just make it so you can't jump from Allied to Enemy (and vice-versa) in one hit.

Cross02
10-20-2009, 20:54
Skilless AoE chain spamming is ruining this game.

Take a look around, most of the best players have already quit because of it.

Fix siege mechanics, great, but I don't see how that has anything to do with melee/archery customizations and (as we expect, and rightly so) magic fixes that actually encourage player skill. I'm sure we'll gladly play with the siege mechanics we've had for half a year for another month or so as long as we can actually enjoy this game.

I promise, your players don't give a damn about siege mechanics when it's up against the magic issue.

Cunning
10-20-2009, 21:06
SB had a great system. Siege times were set by the defender and went live two days after they were placed. No waking up to discover you no longer own that city / hamlet you had when you logged off because some people who didn't want a fight sieged you at a cuntish time.

How long they lasted depended on what happened at the siege - they weren't based on an insane 6 hour timer. Could be 10 mins, could be a few hours, but if it lasted for hours, that meant there was constant action. Not like the four hour wait we currently have in DF.

Will be interesting to see what the DF devs do to change it.

Yes please. SB siege mechanics were excellent.

Xandar464
10-20-2009, 21:06
Quick patch: "we removed every form of magic except lesser and greater magic, until we find a proper way to balance it again"

I would renew my subscription straight away :D

Arkh
10-20-2009, 21:11
Yes please. SB siege mechanics were excellent.
I like how SB had the same problem at launch and the DFO team through the same thing. Reinventing the wheel, one aspect of the game at a time.

Tiak
10-20-2009, 21:14
I'm not entirely sure whether or not AV is aware of this, but it IS possible to issue patches of different things separately... There was a lot of anticipation for this expansion, and it was all that was keeping some people around, I'm not sure they'll want to stick around for a couple more weeks.

PS: I was being optimistic about things, but so many other people called this.

bongloads
10-20-2009, 21:38
Gigantic fucking sigh.

What happened to transfers 3 months after NA launched?

Ordrek
10-20-2009, 21:48
Gigantic fucking sigh.

What happened to transfers 3 months after NA launched?

Personally, I would rather they hold off on the transfers until the patch is out. I'd rather not waste my time and money resubbing for the transfer if the patch (aka "expansion") is fail.

Majorleague
10-20-2009, 22:17
i don't even care about this "expansion". all i want is to transfer :(

bongloads
10-20-2009, 22:19
i don't even care about this "expansion". all i want is to transfer :(

i'm about 50/50 but transfers being 1 month fucking late is retarded.
What, eight months after EU launches (with promise my char could transfer to NA) my EU char is still stuck on EU with deadlines already past + no word on when he'll be able to leave.

Bloodgloom
10-20-2009, 22:20
This is really good news. The current siege system just takes too much time to be fun or frequent. Also, the ability to "skirt the mechanics" by making dummy guilds to declare war with is not only cowardly but lame. There should be actual risk involved for both sides when seiging.

vendettarock
10-20-2009, 22:34
delay...

Some info about new siege mechanics at least please.

Lynchet
10-20-2009, 22:38
Whats really amazing is that this game took nearly 10 years to make and was often ignored as vapourware -- what the **** were AV actually DOING all this time ? Yes I know MMOs are not that easy to make and require a lot of thought but after this long youthink they would have made a better job of it ? I have to say the only thing thats actually keeping me even looking at developments is the people I play with !

xpiher
10-20-2009, 22:44
Whats really amazing is that this game took nearly 10 years to make and was often ignored as vapourware -- what the **** were AV actually DOING all this time ? Yes I know MMOs are not that easy to make and require a lot of thought but after this long youthink they would have made a better job of it ? I have to say the only thing thats actually keeping me even looking at developments is the people I play with !

Most mmos take 3-4 years to develop with a pre-packaged engine. Look at MO, been in development since what 2005? Chances are, most of the time they were designing the engine the game runs on.

Spinx
10-20-2009, 22:48
Most mmos take 3-4 years to develop with a pre-packaged engine. Look at MO, been in development since what 2005? Chances are, most of the time they were designing the engine the game runs on.

This is true. Av made their engine from scratch while star vault just used the Unreal engine (which imo fails for MMOS).

Lynchet
10-20-2009, 22:57
Yeah I accept 3-4 years. even 5-6 for a finished product, but 10 for this utterly unfinished heap ! I mean just wander round the countryside and see how many un-openable doors there are, let alone all the bugs, discrapancies, faults, terrible balancing (again i accept full balance is near impossible but this !)

Im afraid DF is suffering from being a fan made game. May seem a bit of an odd thing to say, but I think they needed a few more genuine programmers and experienced game devs and a few less plain MMO fans who I think rather assumed people would "play nice" like they did.

bmfof
10-20-2009, 23:04
Holly shit, I don't wanna read anything else, just at least post a thorough list of features and changes the new patch will add. If it's only the new siege revamp not being done right now, you shouldn't have a problem revealing what is the rest of the "expansion" is going to contain for sure (since, we assume by your statement, it is ready to be applied).

Falesh
10-20-2009, 23:07
Yeah I accept 3-4 years. even 5-6 for a finished product, but 10 for this utterly unfinished heap ! I mean just wander round the countryside and see how many un-openable doors there are, let alone all the bugs, discrapancies, faults, terrible balancing (again i accept full balance is near impossible but this !)

Im afraid DF is suffering from being a fan made game. May seem a bit of an odd thing to say, but I think they needed a few more genuine programmers and experienced game devs and a few less plain MMO fans who I think rather assumed people would "play nice" like they did.

BS, the programmers they have produced an amazing engine that enables even my computer to handle loads of people fighting in view. Don't confuse balance issues and decisions to produce huge patches rather then more frequent smaller ones with programming skill. Oh and lol at "un-openable doors", DF is the most free ranging MMO I have ever played.

bmfof
10-20-2009, 23:14
Mhm, I should probably add an extansion to my previous post:

I'm really this [.] close to quitting the damn game, and it's certainly not her picture perfect balance, lack of skill-cap, broken economy, or ridiculous bugs that is stopping me from doing it.
I'll be undergerrating if I say this patch was probably one of the major things I was looking forward to in this game. Giving me delays is one thing, and I can eventually live with that, but not giving me any information about it, besides the vague, poorly detailed, explanations or interpretations you feed this forums with are just a joke.
I'm paying for a product, and I wanna now what I am paying for to wait it 3-4 more freaking weeks.

Chris Windblade
10-20-2009, 23:23
sadly makestro is right about the patches being repatched.

Its to bad every time they hand out info they only give part of it and never the full story. they tell us its being delayed part 1 they tell us they are adding something in part two. they don't add part three if transfers are going to be effected or not or if maybe they found somethings they over looked and need more time to get them in. the seige changes may have already been in the works as to why its being added.

i agree it is a nice addition to the patch but is there a reason they can't just go on with the original plan and patch and xfer on time then patch in the seige mechs after?

Ordrek
10-20-2009, 23:25
Mhm, I should probably add an extansion to my previous post:

I'm really this [.] close to quitting the damn game, and it's certainly not her picture perfect balance, lack of skill-cap, broken economy, or ridiculous bugs that is stopping me from doing it.
I'll be undergerrating if I say this patch was probably one of the major things I was looking forward to in this game. Giving me delays is one thing, and I can eventually live with that, but not giving me any information about it, besides the vague, poorly detailed, explanations or interpretations you feed this forums with are just a joke.
I'm paying for a product, and I wanna now what I am paying for to wait it 3-4 more freaking weeks.

The cynic in me says that if you're pinning your hopes for the future of your Darkfall experience on the upcoming patch, you're in for disappointment. The game is in roughly the same state it will remain for the immediate future and the patch/"expansion" will not change that.

It will take many patches and the years necessary to roll them out in order to transform this game. If you're not at least mostly satisfied with the current game, I would suggest leaving now rather than waste your time hoping for improvement.

xpiher
10-20-2009, 23:46

You don't get it. Most MMO take 3-5 years with a pre-packaged engine. Darkfall's engine was made from scratch and updated 2-3 times and has been owned by 2 different companies.

xxxFistxxx
10-20-2009, 23:48

This

Tibernicus
10-21-2009, 00:01

Darkfall was in development for 6 years. Most of that time was spend making the entire engine from scratch because there is absolutely no engine out there that can do what Darkfall wants. Research better.

So we get to wait longer for a half-assed half-complete "expansion"? The last "expansion" we waited weeks for it to finally work right and the features to actually work. So we get to wait weeks now...

Judging it before its even out? A troll if ever there was one.

Enticle
10-21-2009, 00:01
I don't get why they don't just release the rest of the 'expansion' if it's done already. No reason to hold out on all of it if it's just the seige mechanics that they're working on.

Makestro
10-21-2009, 00:03
Oh cool. When did you get a job at AV? you seem to know a lot about their progress.:lmao:

I've been playing darkfall since right after new years, I think I know a little more about history then you, as in, every patch is another example of how unprofessional AV is.

Jango1337
10-21-2009, 00:03
I love afgans crying for magic fix after the rest of the server got them.

I only had 79 fire and 55 earth before the patch gg dude...

Qui Larek
10-21-2009, 00:09
Take you time guys, every update has impressed me so far so please dont dissapoint, im sure you wont.

As for the shouts of nerf please ignore them as im sure you will, the vocal minority hopefuly is recognised as that.

As for the sieges, a change seems great and if you are looking for imput I used to really like the SGW base mechanic when you could set the vulnarability window so you can do it when you know the majority of your guild are online.

bmfof
10-21-2009, 00:13
The cynic in me says that if you're pinning your hopes for the future of your Darkfall experience on the upcoming patch, you're in for disappointment. The game is in roughly the same state it will remain for the immediate future and the patch/"expansion" will not change that.

It will take many patches and the years necessary to roll them out in order to transform this game. If you're not at least mostly satisfied with the current game, I would suggest leaving now rather than waste your time hoping for improvement.

I am not so gullible as to think one patch can magically turn the game into something completely different. I don't want it.
I hated things 8 months ago, but I played because I also loved things (and I love some of them still). I realise this game has every good chance to become almost perfect (for me, at least), but I also realise it won't happen soon with the rate updates are rolling. I'm willing to continue playing it, as long as I have something interesting to do to take my mind off the balancing issues, bugs, whatever.
But when they go on and just freaking delay shit, I'll just go and play fucking Dragon Age, eh? And, as you can imagine, that has nothing to do with the game's current state, but rather with AV's inability to be specific, and realistic about their own "expansion" plans.

Tibernicus
10-21-2009, 00:16
I don't get why they don't just release the rest of the 'expansion' if it's done already. No reason to hold out on all of it if it's just the seige mechanics that they're working on.

You don't understand how code works do you?

Lynchet
10-21-2009, 00:19
BS, the programmers they have produced an amazing engine that enables even my computer to handle loads of people fighting in view. Don't confuse balance issues and decisions to produce huge patches rather then more frequent smaller ones with programming skill. Oh and lol at "un-openable doors", DF is the most free ranging MMO I have ever played.

And dont confuse a good engine with a good game ! A good engine is the basic you need to start with, not the be all and end all

JCatano
10-21-2009, 00:19
Darkfall was in development for 6 years. Most of that time was spend making the entire engine from scratch because there is absolutely no engine out there that can do what Darkfall wants. Research better.

Entropia Universe has been doing it since the beginning of 2003. I don't know what engine they were using before, but it's recently been updated to CryEngine 2.

Rumnacola
10-21-2009, 00:28
The reason for the delay is quite simply that it's not ready. Delay in order to include a siege patch is merely a convenient excuse.
Be that as it may, if it's not ready, it's not ready.....so best not to wheel it out, siege fix or no.
It is however obvious that a LOT of people have chosen not to renew, until the patch.
The longer the delay the bigger the list of unsubscribers, with a domino effect...

For what it's worth, from an oceanic timezone perspective (gmt+8 to gmt+12) I hope they carefully consider any option of implementing a siege window, since our primetime is fairly dead already.

And for fuck's sake can people (including the OP) learn to spell SIEGE correctly)

zenm
10-21-2009, 00:52
They keep dangling that carrot in front of the horse until one day the horse realizes hes never going to catch that carrot.

Demon.Cleaner
10-21-2009, 02:13
Aventurine has been so ambiguous in their explanations regarding this patch (or expansion, W/E) that this could have simply been, "sry guise, wer late."

I hope this does bring some good to the game, but with the lengthy patch-notes up to now that outlined the many "improvements" that seemed to flounder or vaporize upon presentation; I'm going to remain a bit skeptical.

zenm
10-21-2009, 02:20
Aventurine has been so ambiguous in their explanations regarding this patch (or expansion, W/E) that this could have simply been, "sry guise, wer late."

I hope this does bring some good to the game, but with the lengthy patch-notes up to now that outlined the many "improvements" that seemed to flounder or vaporize upon presentation; I'm going to remain a bit skeptical.

Ya someone told me I was supposed to have 4lr. I just ended up a walking dog with no bonus to my huge body :(

blob
10-21-2009, 02:31
Entropia Universe has been doing it since the beginning of 2003. I don't know what engine they were using before, but it's recently been updated to CryEngine 2.

Entropia Universe was using gamebryo engene before , tru sandbox mature game , but also money sinker gambling game :) i log sometimes to use my longsword :)

TNoD
10-21-2009, 03:07
Ya someone told me I was supposed to have 4lr. I just ended up a walking dog with no bonus to my huge body :(

If AV implements 4lr in this expansion, I will tattoo DARKFALL on my balls.
[SIZE="1"][LIST]

Corpsepoker
10-21-2009, 03:13
If AV implements 4lr in this expansion, I will tattoo DARKFALL on my balls.
[SIZE="1"][LIST]

lol

under a bridge
10-21-2009, 03:57
Mr. White, I do hope that AV dev's and community staff are not discouraged by all the whining and complaints on these forums. Many of the members of the community see the strides the devs and av staff in general have taken to make this game better. This game has come a long way since beta I enjoyed it then and even more with every patch.

Many people complain about things only to then complain when they are told the issues are being addressed and it will cause a patch to be a little later than they had anticipated.

What i think a lot of people fail to realise is that this game is breaking molds of what people hold in their minds as a mmorpg. If you dont belive that I would use the darkfall clones currently in development as my proof (Go ahead try to deny MO is a darkfall clone, played it for two hours and was back here). After the trammel patch in UO there was nothing of this sort for those of us who desire it.

Personally i dont mind waiting a bit longer for transfers if it means something that will potentially make the game a better exeprience for everyone, along with bringing in new players or bringing back someold ones.

P.S. For a community of "hardcore" players sure is a lot of crybabies.

Draxous
10-21-2009, 04:40
Mr. White, I do hope that AV dev's and community staff are not discouraged by all the whining and complaints on these forums. Many of the members of the community see the strides the devs and av staff in general have taken to make this game better. This game has come a long way since beta I enjoyed it then and even more with every patch.

Many people complain about things only to then complain when they are told the issues are being addressed and it will cause a patch to be a little later than they had anticipated.

What i think a lot of people fail to realise is that this game is breaking molds of what people hold in their minds as a mmorpg. If you dont belive that I would use the darkfall clones currently in development as my proof (Go ahead try to deny MO is a darkfall clone, played it for two hours and was back here). After the trammel patch in UO there was nothing of this sort for those of us who desire it.

Personally i dont mind waiting a bit longer for transfers if it means something that will potentially make the game a better exeprience for everyone, along with bringing in new players or bringing back someold ones.

You sir, are my new hero.

Demon.Cleaner
10-21-2009, 04:58

There isn't much complaining here for the addition of features, its mostly that (for me anyways) they portray it as "we're so fucking nice we're giving you this big-ass expansion for free" when really they're just trickling in a small portion of the promised content. These 'expansions' are saving their ass (I'm coming back at the NA transfer along with a fair number of others and not just for the decent ping), not going above and beyond the expectations placed on a developer to please and pamper the community.

If they actually continue to release expansions after there's the content necessary for holding the attention of their reasonably large audience and the many are no longer on the brink of leaving, then I'll be an enamored fan-boi. Until then, I'll continue to feed them money for the development of the potential of the game, but this MMOFPS won't hold my attention without change.

God damn it, and quit kissing ass. :ohno:

Stone Dog
10-21-2009, 05:17
...and sieges are a core feature of the game and the current rules are a critical flaw.

So if we all know that why the hell did Aventurine not know that?

Again, I reiterate what myself and others have said. It's smoke and mirrors time at AV as always. Let's put up a date that we won't hit and then come up with a cock and bull story about how we've suddenly decided to make the next patch (I REFUSE to use the word expansion) even better than we're already telling you it will be so it'll buy us more time.

*sigh* Whatever...

Mr. President
10-21-2009, 05:27
I read through 6 pages of response to this, of that, I found about 4 posts that were actually of people grateful to this news. Siege Mechanics definitely needed an overhaul, though I remain optimistic, I am still waiting with bated breath to see exactly what these changes will be.

People can QQ about magic imbalances all they want or population dwindling (which I won't say isn't happening, but isn't as drastic as some people make it out to be, not everyone who plays Darkfall also watches these forums). It changes little, AV knows it's road, and I've already accepted this game is like playing a BETA version, that's why I feel there's been not so much of a marketing push, the hardcore people who've been following DF for forever wanted to see a released product, and they got this, which call it what you will, is about of quality to a beta, especially considering what generally gets changed in the smaller patches is basic tweaks, and not much game overhaul or new features.

I don't see the end of the world coming if the expansion is pushed back a few weeks, DF will still keep me hooked until then, and I highly doubt the expansion delay will effect transfer dates, they've never said they're doing those simultaneously, but the fact that they were falling so close together I think created a heavier workload for them which could have impacted the release.

I haven't quite been playing since February, but AV doesn't seem to be the type of company to release their patch notes well in advance like other games, but rather does them as it is released so they know for sure that it's up-to-date.

zenm
10-21-2009, 05:34

Actually we just see through the bullshit. The game was released in a beta phase. Each patch ruined the game more and more and they take increasingly long to implement promised changes which in turn fuck the game up even more and are done in a half assed manner. I don't blame them, I blame the fact that they are a small company without the manpower or time to put out a polished quality product. If they could magically hire 20 more devs they would be in a much better position.

Mr. President
10-21-2009, 05:39
As for those "crybabies", they are tired of being promised a "mold-breaking game" and not having it delivered...not even getting close to having it delivered.

Find another MMO to adequately compare Darkfall to? There are similar mechanics to other games no doubt, but nothing about Darkfall feels "cookie cutter" really, it is it's own game and delivers on that.

Darkfall definitely broke the mold, but it's still hot on the anvil, we're not finished banging it into it's fully molded and final shape, we still have details to polish, and there's a lot of features NYI.

It's basically like being given a 10 lb. steak and crying it's not Filet Mignon. People spend so much time crying over what the game isn't that they want it to be, they take no enjoyment out of what the game already has.

I realize and accept Darkfall as unfinished and unpolished, but that doesn't stop me from having fun in it. Everyone can debate my opinions on DF until they are blue in the face, but nobody but me can decide if I am having fun or not, I play games for fun, Darkfall to me IS fun, so I play it.

End of story.

zenm
10-21-2009, 05:51
It's basically like being given a 10 lb. steak and crying it's not Filet Mignon. People spend so much time crying over what the game isn't that they want it to be, they take no enjoyment out of what the game already has.

End of story.

I would take a filet over a 10 pound lesser cut of meat any day not even a competition.

Mr. President
10-21-2009, 06:00
I would take a filet over a 10 pound lesser cut of meat any day not even a competition.

Yes but nobody's forcing you to buy the 10 pound lesser cut of meat.

If people really hate DF this much they shouldn't be playing it, there's other games in the world, and just because this one isn't tailored to one person's exacting preferences, doesn't mean it's a bad game, or that it's not worth playing. People can ragequit all day, but it doesn't bother me, and I know I'm not any contributing factor, so I just enjoy the game for what it is.

Darkfall is serious business apparently though.

Valroth
10-21-2009, 06:12
Good news! So far the game has become better with each patch, and AV have already addressed some of our major gripes. Everything is looking good from where I'm sitting, looking forward to the patch.

Valroth
10-21-2009, 06:13
Actually we just see through the bullshit. The game was released in a beta phase. Each patch ruined the game more and more and they take increasingly long to implement promised changes which in turn fuck the game up even more and are done in a half assed manner. I don't blame them, I blame the fact that they are a small company without the manpower or time to put out a polished quality product. If they could magically hire 20 more devs they would be in a much better position.

Slut.

Darkfall is going places, get on the train or get off, make up your mind.

Jango1337
10-21-2009, 06:18
Slut.

how is darkfall going anywhere each patch has been worse it was a half assed first expansion full of bugs and look at the game now it's all magic there is no "omg u can be anything" it's more like "omg you can be anything but if you don't focus on magic you can't compete with any half competent player

zenm
10-21-2009, 06:28
Slut.

You are right, its going to the bargain bin. Oh wait they dont even have a physical copy of the game released. Ok its going towards extinction I've seen it happen to 20 mmo's in the past and it happens just like this. Just wait =) I'm bitter because DF had so many good times and great potential and they completely failed to deliver in the end.

Valroth
10-21-2009, 06:28
how is darkfall going anywhere each patch has been worse it was a half assed first expansion full of bugs and look at the game now it's all magic there is no "omg u can be anything" it's more like "omg you can be anything but if you don't focus on magic you can't compete with any half competent player

So since the game is slightly unbalanced toward magic right now, its all doom and gloom? Get a grip. There have been bigger issues with the game in the past that have been fixed. It has already been mentioned that this expansion will give archery and melee some love. You guys are so easily pushed back and forth by the waves of popular opinion. Get some perspective.

Valroth
10-21-2009, 06:34
You are right, its going to the bargain bin. Oh wait they dont even have a physical copy of the game released. Ok its going towards extinction I've seen it happen to 20 mmo's in the past and it happens just like this. Just wait =) I'm bitter because DF had so many good times and great potential and they completely failed to deliver in the end.

Name those 20 MMOs. I guarantee you all of them had blaring flaws far worse than a few balancing issues that DF has right now. The mechanics are sound and the game is leaps and bounds ahead of any competition in a lot of ways. Its going nowhere but up from here in my opinion.

Jango1337
10-21-2009, 06:35
So since the game is slightly unbalanced toward magic right now, its all doom and gloom? Get a grip. There have been bigger issues with the game in the past that have been fixed. It has already been mentioned that this expansion will give archery and melee some love. You guys are so easily pushed back and forth by the waves of popular opinion. Get some perspective.

the fact that every patch has done the opposite of what people want and darkfall has teh worst magic i've ever seen are you happy with the how copy and paste it is all they changed were reg costs and animation nothing else they need to do a complete revamp of magic and give each school a special ability (advantage against other schools in certain areas) and go back to not being able to get opposing schools this whole "freedom" concept kills all diversity.

And no buffing archery/melee damage won't do anything to fix magic it's still so linear

bongloads
10-21-2009, 06:41
the fact that every patch has done the opposite of what people want and darkfall has teh worst magic i've ever seen are you happy with the how copy and paste it is all they changed were reg costs and animation nothing else they need to do a complete revamp of magic and give each school a special ability (advantage against other schools in certain areas) and go back to not being able to get opposing schools this whole "freedom" concept kills all diversity.

And no buffing archery/melee damage won't do anything to fix magic it's still so linear

your point of view is fucked. you're wrong. go play aion. sorry AV's taking all the cheating out, Afghan (lol still claiming afghan tag)

Jango1337
10-21-2009, 06:56
your point of view is fucked. you're wrong. go play aion. sorry AV's taking all the cheating out, Afghan (lol still claiming afghan tag)

how am I wrong?

kingkongbanana
10-21-2009, 07:42
how am I wrong?

You are right

kab112
10-21-2009, 10:17
You are right

I was just gonna say :)

bmfof
10-21-2009, 10:46

Slightly? SLIGHTLY? Are you fucking kidding me or what? How is it that only people who already spam shitloads of nukes don't see any problems in the current balance?
And of all the things they could've added or changed in archery they did the most cheap ones. That's just bad game design, if you don't see it you're freaking blind. (And I pretty much suspect they've added some similar bullshit for melee aswell)

bmfof
10-21-2009, 10:49
Name those 20 MMOs. I guarantee you all of them had blaring flaws far worse than a few balancing issues that DF has right now. The mechanics are sound and the game is leaps and bounds ahead of any competition in a lot of ways. Its going nowhere but up from here in my opinion.

Tabula Rasa closed down with far more people playing it. I didn't like the game much pass the first month, but I can tell you it was far more stable than DF, even back then.

dennishzd
10-21-2009, 10:59

Something's fishy.

You read my mind sir. I praise AV for adapting to the wishes of the community by revamping siege mechanics, but I have no clue why they need to implement this revamp into the same patch that was actually scheduled around this time.

Considering AV's habit of having a combo of ' hot-fixes' after adding new content, I think it would be in everyones interest to just release the patch as it is and worry about revamping the siege mechanics later.

(which makes me think that one of their already announced changes isn't fully worked out yet)

Valroth
10-21-2009, 11:07
Waste of time arguing with pessimistic forum trolls.

bmfof
10-21-2009, 11:18
Most likely you just can't, cause there isn't a single reasonable argument you can throw out.

unravell3r
10-21-2009, 11:20
Waste of time arguing with pessimistic forum trolls.

ya waiting for months for a fix of a SINGLE simple issue of aoe magic that really does require JUST a couple fixes so 70% of DF population will be satisfied, but not getting any of it because AV is amateur as hell is being "pessimistic".
You fanboys can justify anything.
I don't think time is on AV's side and they should have played it smarter instead of treating their playerbase like kids, announcing some siege mechanic issue as the reason they are delaying the patch. Too bad there's nothing else out on the market to play :(

Falesh
10-21-2009, 11:33
What the vast majority here are unhappy about is not the patch contents, which I have great confidence in being great, but the choice to push it back so they can include more stuff. AV can produce smaller patches if they want to, big enough to include all the interconnected stuff but not so big that they are delayed due to unrelated stuff like siege mechanics.

Sylvidre
10-21-2009, 11:36
Add the possibility to give a city to another clan without siege.
Just a trade between 2 SupremeGeneral of two clans.

unravell3r
10-21-2009, 11:36
What the vast majority here are unhappy about is not the patch contents, which I have great confidence in being great, but the choice to push it back so they can include more stuff. AV can produce smaller patches if they want to, big enough to include all the interconnected stuff but not so big that they are delayed due to unrelated stuff like siege mechanics.

no! we have to give them infinite leeway because they're an amateur company just getting into an MMO market. I mean if you settle for something you have to pretty much become a rabid fanboy or you're going to see the flaws yourself

Teucrus
10-21-2009, 12:09
Both sides have made their point and the thread is getting rather derailed so, locked.