PDA

View Full Version : The Secret World

GRCPan
10-16-2009, 13:24
http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

discuss

No classes no levels, real time combat, real world locations.

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 13:26
Been following this since it was officially announced. Seems like one of the most interesting MMOs being developed.

Trying not to get too excited though.

Edit: I'm a Dragon btw, though I may manually choose Templar later.

GRCPan
10-16-2009, 13:28
Been following this since it was officially announced. Seems like one of the most interesting MMOs being developed.

Trying not to get too excited though.

I just got the email for it. Sounds really good. It's funcom though, so yeah, I am too trying not to get excited :p

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 13:35
I just got the email for it. Sounds really good. It's funcom though, so yeah, I am too trying not to get excited :p

Funcom seem to be good at buggering up launches. AO was terrible when launched but evolved into an interesting game when given the time. AoC seems to be going the same way as I'm starting to hear some good things from it.

Perhaps they've learned their lesson, but even if it fails at first hurdle it may still mature into something good. It's too good a concept to just ignore.

Ziegler
10-16-2009, 13:54
Failcom.

'nuf said

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 13:55
Failcom.

'nuf said

Ah ha ha ha ha....

Feel better now?

brockstar
10-16-2009, 16:35
Sup ma Templars?!

Signus
10-16-2009, 17:38

discuss

No classes no levels, real time combat

Yeah, that's what Funcom said LAST time. Not worth getting excited over until it's out, Funcom are great at making horrible products appear interesting.

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 17:42
Yeah, that's what Funcom said LAST time. Not worth getting excited over until it's out, Funcom are great at making horrible products appear interesting.

Oh the irony.

Edit: Okay I can do better than that...

Where have Funcom boasted about no levels or classes for any previous game? I realise they went on about real time combat for AoC but they delivered on that.

Slaker
10-16-2009, 17:47
Lets wait and see.

The Dark Zealot
10-16-2009, 18:59
Templar? And here I thought the Templars were the enemies of the Zealots.

GRCPan
10-16-2009, 20:13
Oh the irony.

Where have Funcom boasted about no levels or classes for any previous game? I realise they went on about real time combat for AoC but they delivered on that.

Even WoW-style combat is considered real time. But at TSW features it also says the word "aim", so it will probably have FPS style combat.

Vessol
10-16-2009, 20:15
I'm going to create a Illuminati named Alex Jones if I play the game.

CattBoy
10-16-2009, 20:22

At least they have a marketing department and make an attempt. Just saying.

GRCPan
10-16-2009, 20:29
The only downside is that most likely it will be zoned like AoC, but a man can always hope.

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 20:40
The only downside is that most likely it will be zoned like AoC, but a man can always hope.

It would be a fucking accomplishment and a half to have real world locations and not zone it.

akrippler
10-16-2009, 20:43
Edit: I'm a Dragon btw, though I may manually choose Templar later.

I saw this line and decided I will not play this game.

Abaratican
10-16-2009, 21:39
Without classes their forums will forever be filled by people crying about a lack of diversity. Hoe noes!

GRCPan
10-16-2009, 21:47
Without classes their forums will forever be filled by people crying about a lack of diversity. Hoe noes!

Nah I bet they will have a cap.

Largion
10-16-2009, 21:49
Nah I bet they will have a cap.

I hope so.

Abaratican
10-16-2009, 21:52
Nah I bet they will have classes.

What you really said.

End of troll!

Largion
10-16-2009, 21:56
Skill cap is a good thing. Then you can decide if you want to play mage, melee or hybrid.

xpiher
10-16-2009, 22:06

discuss

Its a RvR sandboxish game. Should be good

Signus
10-16-2009, 22:19
Oh the irony.

List of things Funcom promised that were not in at launch.

DirectX10
Drunken Brawling
Spell Weaving
City Building
Sieging
a few more that I have forgotten as the years have gone by.

Things they completely lied about.

They promised no auto target
They promised 8 directional melee attacks, full twitch real time combat. (Thankfully, I managed to read between the lines there and discerned it was just going to be more combo button mashing before launch, so I wasn't too excited about this)

They promised no magical stealth button
They promised a wide open world, instead you get a zone that instances if more than 50 people enter it, and its all on one path, and if you outlevel the zone, you can't go back.

Like I said, Funcom is VERY good at marketing, and not very good at releasing games. From the games they have launched it seems the more effort that goes into marketing, the worse it is.

MMO wise they're 0 for 2, maybe they've learned from their mistakes. I did find the puzzles interesting and the concept kind of neat, but I thought the same about AoC too.

xpiher
10-16-2009, 22:22

DirectX10
Drunken Brawling
Spell Weaving
City Building
Sieging

They promised 8 directional melee attacks, full twitch real time combat. (Thankfully, I managed to read between the lines there and discerned it was just going to be more combo button mashing before launch, so I wasn't too excited about this)

They promised a wide open world, instead you get a zone that instances if more than 50 people enter it, and its all on one path, and if you outlevel the zone, you can't go back.

Like I said, Funcom is VERY good at marketing, and not very good at releasing games. From the games they have launched it seems the more effort that goes into marketing, the worse it is.

MMO wise they're 0 for 2, maybe they've learned from their mistakes. I did find the puzzles interesting and the concept kind of neat, but I thought the same about AoC too.

They fired the guy that lead both AoC and AO into the toilet and made the guy who brought AO from the brink and made AoC 5x better their lead project manager for all games.

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 22:23

DirectX10
Drunken Brawling
Spell Weaving
City Building
Sieging

I'll take your word for all of this as I never followed the game that closely, but then what MMO out there actually delivered on everything promised in the last 5 years?

GRCPan
10-16-2009, 22:30
I'll take your word for all of this as I never followed the game that closely, but then what MMO out there actually delivered on everything promised in the last 5 years?

Hello Kitty Online?

88Chaz88
10-16-2009, 22:46
Hello Kitty Online?

You're right!

Signus
10-16-2009, 23:20

Fallen Earth and Lord of the Rings Online were pretty good. Granted, LotRO only gets by on technicality because a year before released it changed from Middle Earth Online to LotRO and totally changed focus on what they were going to have in game.

The thing about Age of Conan was, those features I listed were all of their big selling points. Literally nothing worked when it launched except for the tutorial zone (which lasted until level 20). The worst bit is, if you even so much as reported a bug on their forums they banned you.

The final straw was when someone posted "Why can't we go back to the earlier zones when we are higher level?" And a dev closed the thread saying "Why would you want to?"

Not to mention, their laughable and embarrassing campaign to sabotage Darkfall (no I am not making that up)

Glad to hear the guy got fired, and the head director.

Vexrak
10-16-2009, 23:36

discuss

It's funcom dude the game can't be any good which is a shame because there are two things I have always wanted to play in an mmorpg and that is a Vampire and a Predator (no Predators in secret world sorry to say).

Tenebrion
10-16-2009, 23:46
Been following this one for quite some time, and the game sounds awesome, but since its a Failcom product, I have very,very low expectations.

Sin'jin
10-16-2009, 23:54

I have to agree 100%. Funcom has just failed to many times for me to get excited about any product associated with them. They talk a great game, but produce shit imo.

jonyak
10-17-2009, 00:00
I have to agree 100%. Funcom has just failed to many times for me to get excited about any product associated with them. They talk a great game, but produce shit imo.

I have seen too many MMO's become massive failures lately to get excited about any new mmo.

Lord Caim
10-17-2009, 04:04
I have always wanted to play a Predator.
You can do this in online chat rooms. Just watch out for Chris Hansen!

Tenebrion
10-17-2009, 05:24
At least they have a marketing department and make an attempt. Just saying.

That's about the dumbest fucking thing I think I have ever read. Seriously, don't reproduce.

Attau
10-17-2009, 10:26
That's about the dumbest fucking thing I think I have ever read. Seriously, don't reproduce.

More of this fucking obsession with reproducing. Get some help dude.

Drool111
10-17-2009, 11:00

I can still have sex right? Sex isn't related to reproduction ya?

I SPARTAN I
10-17-2009, 15:00
im illuminati

xpiher
10-17-2009, 15:42
Glad to hear the guy got fired, and the head director.

And the person now running their development department is the guy who brought AoC around and made AO profitable again. They haven't reveled anything about the secrete world other than what the game is about.

Bamboopanda
10-17-2009, 15:48
Templar? And here I thought the Templars were the enemies of the Zealots.

yea, I kinda thought that as well.

And wtf, Illuminati? How the fuck I get that? Sounds like the dragon would be more my style.

xpiher
10-17-2009, 15:49
yea, I kinda thought that as well.

And wtf, Illuminati? How the fuck I get that? Sounds like the dragon would be more my style.

Its based on how you answered those questions they asked you. I got Illuminati.

Bamboopanda
10-17-2009, 15:51
Its based on how you answered those questions they asked you. I got Illuminati.

I am not flashy, or in your face or chaotic.

Lord Caim
10-17-2009, 16:02
I am not flashy, or in your face or chaotic.
Or maybe you just don't want to be flashy, in-your-face or chaotic?

Selzi
10-18-2009, 17:34
Funny to see how many butt hurt people post just because they played AoC for ten seconds and think that's the only game Funcom has made. Oh wait, the creative director that worked on pretty much every game Funcom has made except for AoC is working on TSW? And all those games were huge successes? Nowai!

As for the aiming, yes, the short gameplay that the media was shown has manual aiming. It's going to be a long wait before anything of the game comes out so there's no real point getting hyped about it now.

Largion
10-18-2009, 20:36
Its like 6 pics and a ide for a game or have I missed something. the ide looks great but will take ages for this game to come out.

Tenebrion
10-18-2009, 21:19
More of this fucking obsession with reproducing. Get some help dude.

I see what you did there. Let me respond in a language that you can understand :

HURRR DURRRRR HUR HUR DUR HUURRRR DUR DUR HURR HUR HURR