PDA

View Full Version : Religion: Tesco bans Jedi church founder for not sheathing his light saber

Carnagel
09-22-2009, 08:10
Jedi church founder thrown out of Tesco for refusing to remove his hood was left 'emotionally humiliated'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1214367/Jedi-church-founder-thrown-Tesco-refusing-remove-hood-left-emotionally-humiliated.html#ixzz0Roi4jQV6

The founder of the Jedi religion inspired by the Star Wars films was thrown out of a Tesco supermarket for wearing his distinctive brown hood.

Daniel Jones, 23, who has 500,000 followers worldwide, was told the hood flouted store rules and was ordered to remove it or leave the supermarket.

As a result Jones, who also goes by the Jedi name Morda Hehol, claims he has been 'victimised over his beliefs' and left 'emotionally humiliated' by the supermarket in Bangor, North Wales.

But Tesco hit back in the spirit of the epic space saga and claimed that the three most well known Jedi Knights in the Star Wars movies - Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker - all appeared in public without their hoods.

Mr Jones, from Holyhead, said his religion dictated that he should wear the hood in public places and is considering legal action against the chain.

'It states in our Jedi doctrination that I can wear headwear. It just covers the back of my head,' he said.

'You have a choice of wearing headwear in your home or at work but you have to wear a cover for your head when you are in public.'

He said he'd gone to the store to buy something to eat during his lunch-break when staff approached him and ordered him to the checkout where they explained he would have to remove the offending hood or leave the store.

'They said: "Take it off", and I said "No, its part of my religion. It's part of my religious right." I gave them a Jedi church business card.'

Mr Jones claimed the store manager and staff were 'unco-operative' and left him feeling 'emotionally humiliated' for making fun of his beliefs.

'They weren't listening to me. They wasted my personal time. They were rude and not very nice to me. They had three people around me. It was intimidating.

'It was discrimination. They were making a joke against me. I was really upset. Nobody should be treated like that.

'We have 500,000 members in our church. It is a religion founded in Wales with a scripture and ceremonies'

Mr Jones has made an official complaint to Tesco, is considering a boycott of the store and is seeking legal advice.

A Tesco spokesperson said: 'He hasn't been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

'Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood.

'If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers.'

I wonder what their policy would be if someone wanted to shop at Tesco in their Wookie costume...

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 08:19
Jedi church founder thrown out of Tesco for refusing to remove his hood was left 'emotionally humiliated'

His religion is based on a bunch of character in a science fiction film...emotionally humiliated....the kid is probably emotionally underdeveloped.

StaticBlack
09-22-2009, 08:22
His religion is based on a bunch of character in a science fiction film

Ohhhh, you make it way too easy.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 08:40
Ohhhh, you make it way too easy.

My point is, as opposed to other religions there is nothing mystical about it. The creator is as human as you and me.
Jedi being a religion might make more sense in 3000 years when they don't know who Goe Lucias was.

Blixa
09-22-2009, 10:38
My point is, as opposed to other religions there is nothing mystical about it. The creator is as human as you and me.
Jedi being a religion might make more sense in 3000 years when they don't know who Goe Lucias was.

L. Ron Hubbard?

88Chaz88
09-22-2009, 10:44
L. Ron Hubbard?

Pow! Scientology 1: Common sense 0.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 11:12
L. Ron Hubbard?

Same goes for Scientology, never claimed otherwise.

kab112
09-22-2009, 11:14

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1214367/Jedi-church-founder-thrown-Tesco-refusing-remove-hood-left-emotionally-humiliated.html#ixzz0Roi4jQV6

I wonder what their policy would be if someone wanted to shop at Tesco in their Wookie costume...

God, I love the response Tesco gave. You don't see funny corporations anymore :(

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 11:37
God, I love the response Tesco gave. You don't see funny corporations anymore :(

http://www.funchem.com.hk/

The Dark Zealot
09-22-2009, 11:57
Can you prove the jedis didnt exist in some galaxy far far away? its just as legit as those other dumbass religions.

Blixa
09-22-2009, 12:08

But you know what would've happened if someone "offended" Scientology in this way, right?

Can you prove the jedis didnt exist in some galaxy far far away? its just as legit as those other dumbass religions.

this.

doomahx
09-22-2009, 12:12
His religion is based on a bunch of character in a science fiction film...emotionally humiliated....the kid is probably emotionally underdeveloped.

It's still about as believable as any other religion.

Dark Lily
09-22-2009, 12:54
You wonder what tesco had against him having his hood up anyway?

I'm wearing a hooded top right now - would I be chucked out if I put it up next time I go shopping?

Gloomrender
09-22-2009, 12:55

That's exactly how other religions are.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 12:58
That's exactly how other religions are.

Jezus was at least a real prophet. This cannot be said about Yoda.

88Chaz88
09-22-2009, 13:00

Technically Georgie-boy Lucas would be the prophet, and there's as much, if not more evidence for him existing.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 13:02
Technically Georgie-boy Lucas would be the prophet.

I don't think Lucas had a vision of Jedi becoming a religion. Christ worked on the word of God.

88Chaz88
09-22-2009, 13:13
I don't think Lucas had a vision of Jedi becoming a religion. Christ worked on the word of God.

Apparently. Remember the Bible wasn't written in Jesus' lifetime, perhaps he never actually tried to start a new religion, just update Judaism.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 13:18
Apparently. Remember the Bible wasn't written in Jesus' lifetime, perhaps he never actually tried to start a new religion, just update Judaism.

If he didn't want to, why did he nail himself to a cross, the symbol of his new found religion!

Gloomrender
09-22-2009, 13:21

Wrong. Jesus "was"/is a mythical figure.

88Chaz88
09-22-2009, 13:22
If he didn't want to, why did he nail himself to a cross, the symbol of his new found religion!

True, nailing yourself to a cross must take dedication, I mean after you manage to use your feet to nail in your other hand, how do you nail in your feet?

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 13:39
True, nailing yourself to a cross must take dedication, I mean after you manage to use your feet to nail in your other hand, how do you nail in your feet?

With your FAITH.

Gloomrender
09-22-2009, 13:42
With your FAITH.

I almost lol'd.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 13:47
I almost lol'd.

Aw common nail your FEET with your FAITH.....

88Chaz88
09-22-2009, 13:54
Aw common nail your FEET with your FAITH.....

He must've used the force!

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 13:59
He must've used the force!

The force, if it even exists, can only be the devils works as it nothing alse but a verbal veil to the fact that it is magick.

88Chaz88
09-22-2009, 14:20
The force, if it even exists, can only be the devils works as it nothing alse but a verbal veil to the fact that it is magick.

Nuh uh, it's midiclorians! Oh shi...

Carnagel
09-22-2009, 14:23
I'm wearing a hooded top right now - would I be chucked out if I put it up next time I go shopping?

With a head like that, they might chuck you out if you didn't put it up :)

Tibernicus
09-22-2009, 14:51

Scientology?

They ARE his beliefs. If hotel owners can get arrested for calling Mohamad a warlord, then they can nail that store for making him remove his hood. Would they tell a muslim to remove their headdress?

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 15:21
Scientology?

They ARE his beliefs. If hotel owners can get arrested for calling Mohamad a warlord, then they can nail that store for making him remove his hood.

I didn't agree with having people arrested for calling Mohammed a warlord either.

Emolas
09-22-2009, 16:50

I'm pretty sure a lot of people take Scientology seriously.

But, oh, that's right, only your opinion matters.

Honest Bill
09-22-2009, 17:39
If he were a real Jedi, he would have just done a mind trick and done the whole "Move along" thing.

Therefore, he clearly isn't a real jedi and the store were well within their rights. He was probably in there shoplifting anyway.

Villa
09-22-2009, 18:01
I bet they wouldn't throw some kkk klansters out.
Stupid supremacist supermarkets.

Sqarak
09-22-2009, 18:30
I'm pretty sure a lot of people take Scientology seriously.

But, oh, that's right, only your opinion matters.

Yes my opinion matters me. Hence it is my opinion. I bet that those you right now defend, look down on me far more often than I look down upon them, so go bark up the other tree, Emo.

StainlessSteelRat
09-22-2009, 19:10
You wonder what tesco had against him having his hood up anyway?

CCTV - shoplifting - IDing

So, probably. What all these assholes fail to realize is that it is only discrimination if others are allowed to do what they are being told not to do. Same goes for that idiot that is sueing b/c of her head scarf.

Two words: private property.

Vanno
09-22-2009, 19:12
This is really funny. Why didn't he pull a Jedi mind trick?

StaticBlack
09-23-2009, 00:12
Technically Georgie-boy Lucas would be the prophet, and there's as much, if not more evidence for him existing.

Got a good chuckle out of this :D

Mebit
09-23-2009, 05:31
Jedi as a religion?

Awesome. At least with this religion I wont have to pay half a million to get rid of alien parasites or sign a billion year contract to their navy.

Villageninja
09-23-2009, 08:14
So Jesus walks into a hotel. He heads to the desk clerk and sets two planks and some nails on the counter and says, "Hey, can you put me up for the night?"

Jedicake
09-23-2009, 08:31
Sorry guys I didn't mean to :(