PDA

View Full Version : Defying Gravity (new tv series)

Carnagel
08-09-2009, 11:44
Anyone else watching this new series called Defying Gravity?

It's pretty awesome, if you like the whole astronaut scene. It's more of a Tom Hanks in Apollo 13, than Apollo in BSG :P

Anyway, here (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20090706/DefyingGravity-default/20090720) is the linkage

Any why is it that all the really good series are coming out of Canada recently? GO GO Canada!

Forgin
08-09-2009, 11:47
sexy, provocative space thriller.

lol

(four women and four men)

one minority too I assume?

Carnagel
08-09-2009, 11:54
I know it sounds a bit like they're just following the PC route - but actual NASA research shows that the most stable crew for long term space exploration is either married couples, or an even number of male and female members for the crew

generic_user
08-09-2009, 12:13
The sun god? What the fuck does this have to do with the sun god??

Carnagel
08-09-2009, 13:50
The sun god? What the fuck does this have to do with the sun god??

Actually Apollo was never originally the sun god, he was the son of Zeus and was the god of healing

But my reference was to the movie Apollo 13 and the character Apollo in BSG, rather than some mythical being

You sir, failed. Badly.

generic_user
08-09-2009, 13:54
Actually Apollo was never originally the sun god, he was the son of Zeus and was the god of healing

But my reference was to the movie Apollo 13 and the character Apollo in BSG, rather than some mythical being

You sir, failed. Badly.

Perhaps you are simply unaware of what humor is. Allow me to enlighten you. Humor is when someone says something that is not meant to be taken literally or seriously, but is rather intended to set a lighthearted tone or to cause amusement in the audience.

Also, Apollo was the sun god.

Pretty sure the failure is all yours.

Forgin
08-09-2009, 14:10
Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine and healing; music, poetry, and the arts; and more

Just saying.

generic_user
08-09-2009, 14:36
Just saying.

Thank you.

What were you saying Carnagel?

Carnagel
08-09-2009, 18:06
Perhaps you are simply unaware of what humor is. Allow me to enlighten you. Humor is when someone says something that is not meant to be taken literally or seriously, but is rather intended to set a lighthearted tone or to cause amusement in the audience.

Also, Apollo was the sun god.

Pretty sure the failure is all yours.

I'll have to remember to use this, the next time I make an ass out of myself like you did, it almost sounds believable...almost :cool:

Apollo originally was the god of healing, and later civilizations hijacked him to suit whatever they wanted, be it the God of Sun or the God of War or whatever

Kind of like my original post was in regards to a new television series, until someone tried to be funny and hijacked it into a steaming pile of shit

Incanam
08-09-2009, 18:12
I'll have to remember to use this, the next time I make an ass out of myself like you did, it almost sounds believable...almost :cool:

Apollo originally was the god of healing, and later civilizations hijacked him to suit whatever they wanted, be it the God of Sun or the God of War or whatever

Kind of like my original post was in regards to a new television series, until someone tried to be funny and hijacked it into a steaming pile of shit

http://www.wordsources.info/apollo.html

Apollo replaced the Titan Helios as the sun god; however, the Greeks didn’t delete Helios completely but referred to both of them as the Sun gods.

So if by later civilizations, you mean, the Greeks, then you're right,

And also, he was clearly making a joke...not very funny, but a joke nonetheless.

generic_user
08-09-2009, 18:20

Whatever, I'm no historian. As long he was somebody's sun god that's good enough in my book.

It wasn't meant to hijack the thread.... it was one of those comments that might get a :lmao: 3 pages later or something, but that's it. Until someone came along and made a great big stink about it that is.

DoveAlexa
08-10-2009, 02:14
Lets all get back to saying how this show is and is going to be A HUGE FLAMING PIECE OF SHIT!
All it is a night-time soap. So unless you're a midwestern housewife, watching it makes you the biggest *** since twilight emos.

Dyrrn
08-10-2009, 04:03
Whatever, I'm no historian. As long he was somebody's sun god that's good enough in my book.

It wasn't meant to hijack the thread.... it was one of those comments that might get a :lmao: 3 pages later or something, but that's it. Until someone came along and made a great big stink about it that is.

karma IS a bitch.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?p=3664875#post3664875

only, unlike you, i let it go because it isn't worth derailing a shit thread into more shit over.

Carnagel
08-10-2009, 09:37
Lets all get back to saying how this show is and is going to be A HUGE FLAMING PIECE OF SHIT!
All it is a night-time soap. So unless you're a midwestern housewife, watching it makes you the biggest *** since twilight emos.

You are one angry decepticon, aren't you?

I just watched episode 3 and it's actually quite good, I can usually tell after 3 episodes if something is going to be worth watching, and this one feels ok

Using your analogy, every tv series is a night-time soap, because there is dialogue and character interaction. At least in this series you get to see shit happen in space, rather than in some fucking cop station. By the way what is the absolute obsession by Americans with cop shows? It's beyond a joke. I was hoping it a phase like reality tv, but there just seems to be more and more cops related shows being made, and they get eaten up like chum

Crazy Hermit
08-10-2009, 09:58
You are one angry decepticon, aren't you?

I just watched episode 3 and it's actually quite good, I can usually tell after 3 episodes if something is going to be worth watching, and this one feels ok

Using your analogy, every tv series is a night-time soap, because there is dialogue and character interaction. At least in this series you get to see shit happen in space, rather than in some fucking cop station. By the way what is the absolute obsession by Americans with cop shows? It's beyond a joke. I was hoping it a phase like reality tv, but there just seems to be more and more cops related shows being made, and they get eaten up like chum

I only know of two cop shows. Cops and Reno 911. One is real and one is sorta funny.

Carnagel
08-10-2009, 11:26
I only know of two cop shows. Cops and Reno 911. One is real and one is sorta funny.

CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, Criminal Intent, Numbers...etc etc, hell there's a metric shitton of them

Dyrrn
08-12-2009, 07:53
CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, Criminal Intent, Numbers...etc etc, hell there's a metric shitton of them

that's not even mentioning all the ones that have stopped airing. Cops shows are popular and like all popular things in America, we have every other motherfucker trying to get in on the popularity.

Crazy Hermit
08-12-2009, 08:41
I ws really more thinking of just regular police shows, not the special ones like the CIA.