PDA

View Full Version : DFO vs WAR vs WoW vs DAoC vs AoC

Figo Ironheart
06-21-2009, 19:03
Hi folks,

Please rank the following MMOs at their current state, in order for most fun to least fun, with PvP in mind. Provide reasons as to why if you have time.

Want to get an idea how the rest of the community(people who probably enjoy some decent PvP) feels about these MMOs in their current state.

* Darkfall Online
* World of Warcraft
* Age of Conan
* Warhammer Online
* Dark Age of Camelot

Thanks in advance!

Hubbell
06-21-2009, 19:07
They all suck, asheron's call in late-ish 2001 > *

Ungraylessness
06-21-2009, 20:17
Play Garry's Mod

Beeblebrox
06-21-2009, 20:32
Play Garry's Mod

I bought it a while ago. lilyeti plays it as well.

Steve Renolds
06-21-2009, 20:44
1. Garrysmod - Lot's of fun to be had griefing in roleplay servers.
2. World of Warcraft - They have a population, lots of skills/gear, balanced pvp
3. Dark Age of Camelot - fun but old
4. Age of Conan- haven't played it recently but had fun at release.
5. Darkfall Online - empty/broken gameplay/unbalanced
6. Warhammer Online - Emptier than darkfall

Shaehl
06-21-2009, 21:08
2. World of Warcraft - They have a population, lots of skills/gear, balanced pvp

WTF WoW in second? Not that the list has much to offer in the first place, but really... WoW is the shallowest sham of a "game" I have ever had the misfortune to play.

Fucking asinine carrot chase if I've ever seen one. Sure it's a lot more polished than a lot of other games, but a shiny carrot is a carrot nonetheless--if anything it's only more disheartening when you finally get it and realize the glimmering object you've been chasing all this time is just a fucking carrot and that there's already another one dangling before you,

Atoyota
06-21-2009, 21:45

So darkfall is dead or on life support?
I was in beta... it was OK but nothing special.

How about EVE? the OP didn't mention that?

BlackVolgan
06-21-2009, 21:52
WTF WoW in second? Not that the list has much to offer in the first place, but really... WoW is the shallowest sham of a "game" I have ever had the misfortune to play.

Fucking asinine carrot chase if I've ever seen one. Sure it's a lot more polished than a lot of other games, but a shiny carrot is a carrot nonetheless--if anything it's only more disheartening when you finally get it and realize the glimmering object you've been chasing all this time is just a fucking carrot and that there's already another one dangling before you,

mate, WoW has a population so that you can actually pvp. That alone places it well up the top. In reality DAoC offered the best pvp experience. But no one plays that anymore to rack up a decent rvr battle

Lotharr
06-21-2009, 22:09
DAoC is awesome, but the population is quite low nowadays. However, they still have an decent amount of people on one cluster.

http://www.camelotherald.com/news/index.php

Scully
06-21-2009, 22:46
Best theme park MMO is WoW. And since there are no good sandbox MMOs out, I guess that makes WoW the best MMO in general. Sad really.

verlox2
06-21-2009, 22:50
Isn't this like the fourth thread about this?

Caffy
06-22-2009, 00:19
Isn't this like the four thousandth thread about this?

fixed

Mamoulian
06-22-2009, 00:58
2. World of Warcraft - ... balanced pvp

I bet you never tried to PvP as a warlock :lmao:

Death's Chill
06-22-2009, 01:12
Your list fails.

EvE.

Strangia
06-22-2009, 01:14
Your list fails.

EvE.

here, here! this man is correct

Gloomrender
06-22-2009, 01:20
lol i wnt a good mmo u guyz kno any good one?

eye heard dat WOW and EQ and Lotro are the shit is diz tha truth? I kno thats a gud list! I'm prolly gonna pick one of those but i needz u to make my head up for me lol... so whats the bestest MMO out there for PVP and PVE and grinding? lol.
^

Weeking
06-22-2009, 12:17
Hi folks,

Please rank the following MMOs at their current state, in order for most fun to least fun, [ENDERLINE]with PvP in mind[/UNDERLINE]. Provide reasons as to why if you have time.

Want to get an idea how the rest of the community(people who probably enjoy some decent PvP) feels about these MMOs in their current state.

* Darkfall Online
* World of Warcraft
* Age of Conan
* Warhammer Online
* Dark Age of Camelot

Thanks in advance!

1.AoC (World PvP with no factions, where skill matters more than gear and level and there's fatalities and good character customization
2. DFO (PvP is serious business, not "fun" for everyone.)

3.DaOC/War (I haven't played them or know much about them, but I don't see how they can be worse than WoW for PvP.)

5.WoW(Awful PvP due to factions, too big advantage from levels and gear, and too few variables in combat to look good or be good by clicking more buttons than the enemy etc. Plus the graphics are lame and very few opportunities for PvP unless you play on a PvP server or get into a PvP guild to camp the battlegrounds with pre-made groups (against PUGs) to get unbalanced fights all day like some asshole.

Scully
06-22-2009, 12:57
1.AoC (World PvP with no factions, where skill matters more than gear and level and there's fatalities and good character customization
2. DFO (PvP is serious business, not "fun" for everyone.)

3.DaOC/War (I haven't played them or know much about them, but I don't see how they can be worse than WoW for PvP.)

5.WoW(Awful PvP due to factions, too big advantage from levels and gear, and too few variables in combat to look good or be good by clicking more buttons than the enemy etc. Plus the graphics are lame and very few opportunities for PvP unless you play on a PvP server or get into a PvP guild to camp the battlegrounds with pre-made groups (against PUGs) to get unbalanced fights all day like some asshole.

That's awesome. Your hatred for WoW makes you rank game you've never played above it!

Friik
06-22-2009, 14:24
That's awesome. Your hatred for WoW makes you rank game you've never played above it!

It's all about hating WoW on these boards. :cool:

Kuri
06-22-2009, 16:21
* Darkfall Online
* World of Warcraft
* Age of Conan
* Warhammer Online
* Dark Age of Camelot

1. Classic WoW (Lvl 60), PvP / PvE gear was pretty even, but you need to mix both to have top stuff. I thought this was a good way to get players to do both to be good, classes where balanced for the most part right up to the end of classic, when they stopped caring about it and just planned for TBC.

2/3. AoC & WAR, Both had outdoor PvP, of course in AoC you could attack anyone, WAR with different factions, the amount of classes evened both out, but still had FOTM classes. Very early on, like first and following patchs up to around 5 (When I quit both) ruined both of them.

4. Only playing the trial for DaoC, I thought it was fun, but even having the controls out-dated made it akward.

5. DF, played the beta, didn't even buy the retail because of the shop, the beta was more fun I'm guessing because people didn't care as much about losing stuff.

Of course, all these guys are from a different time period, so I would say go find a fps / rts or something you can play. Lol

Justinian
06-22-2009, 16:35

thisssssss

Carnagel
06-22-2009, 16:57

* Darkfall Online
* World of Warcraft
* Age of Conan
* Warhammer Online
* Dark Age of Camelot

I think the key words there are 'Current State'

1. DAOC has been on life support for about 12 months now due to mismanagement by retards. However from the games listed it is still number one

2. Warhammer Online got better from release with the last expansion pack, but it is still a WOW clone, and not a very good one due to bad design decisions. Still number 2 from that list though, simply because it has open warzones and sieges like DAOC - no matter how badly implemented they are in WAR

3. AOC has gotten a lot better since release when people who knew what they doing took over the reigns and fixed a lot of the fuckups

4. WOW. Everyone's played it, even if they won't admit it. It has it's faults, but it's still fun for a short period of time, and there are always a ton of people playing it - you never have to go far to see other players in WOW

5. Darkfall Online in it's current state is a good gaming engine, with a fucking terrible actual game tacked on. If you had 20 MMO's listed, DFO would still come in last, because it fails on so many core levels - in it's current state

Tibernicus
06-22-2009, 17:25

Asheron's Call is a PvE game with one small PvP server. I cannot hope to stand up against the big PvP titles. It was just a hacking exploiting server. Person who exploits the best won. It had some nice political battles but you get that on ANY FFA PvP server, even EQ had those.

Also, why is a PvE game like WoW listed here under PvP titles?

The top two, easily, are Dark Age of Camelot for its massive battles, massive sieges, battlegrounds, relics, naval combat, RvR dungeons and whatnot, with Darkfall not too far behind.

mate, WoW has a population so that you can actually pvp. That alone places it well up the top. In reality DAoC offered the best pvp experience. But no one plays that anymore to rack up a decent rvr battle

Several thousand still play. And I'd rather play a dead game than ever touch WoW again. 4 hours in the trial back when it first came out was enough to make me realize I was playing a shitty game.

Caffy
06-22-2009, 18:14
Several thousand still play. And I'd rather play a dead game than ever touch WoW again. 4 hours in the trial back when it first came out was enough to make me realize I was playing a shitty game.

You played WoW for 4 hours and think that gave you an accurate picture of the gameplay?

That's like playing SB an not even making it to promotion before deciding it sucked.

Strangia
06-22-2009, 18:18
You played WoW for 4 hours and think that gave you an accurate picture of the gameplay?

That's like playing SB an not even making it to promotion before deciding it sucked.

Nah man, he is so hardcore, he can decide the quality of a massive game in 4 hours! Obviously, you just aren't "hardcore" enough to understand. Because clearly, disliking WoW makes you cool.

The Cougar
06-22-2009, 18:43
What a shitty thread.

Tibernicus
06-22-2009, 21:08

I could tell you just about everything you need to know about WoW. Sadly, so many people play it, the knowledge filters in through osmosis.

It's a watered down kiddie version of EverQuest. The game treated me like I was an inbred retard who couldn't velcro his own shoes. And all I've heard from the "WoW veterans" is its gotten even MORE casual since then.

It is nothing new. Not a single new feature that hasn't been done better in another game... why would I waste my time on a bad version of EverQuest?

Nah man, he is so hardcore, he can decide the quality of a massive game in 4 hours! Obviously, you just aren't "hardcore" enough to understand. Because clearly, disliking WoW makes you cool.

When WoW came out it was anything BUT massive. It was a shell of a game compared to well established MMOs like EQ and DAoC. It was missing so many features that I had come to be used to in better games that I had no interest in playing WoW. All WoW has done since then is tack on a few features as an afterthought, ideas they rip from other games.

Steve Renolds
06-22-2009, 21:19
It's a watered down kiddie version of EverQuest. The game treated me like I was an inbred retard who couldn't velcro his own shoes. And all I've heard from the "WoW veterans" is its gotten even MORE casual since then.

Everything in the game has become easy mode, Druid pvp is fun though due to all the micro-management.

Apex Vertigo
06-22-2009, 21:29
I'll admit... I've been playing WoW for the last week or so because a few of my friends convinced me. Didn't realize it'd cost me so god damned much money to play with them. I haven't played the last few days... it's just so boring. I figured I'd make it to 80 just to say I did it but I'm starting to care less and less about that goal.

* I'm playing with a friend and they have a thing where you get x3 xp for every kill/quest up until level 60. So yea, easy mode to the max. Still boring though.

Signus
06-22-2009, 22:32
Everything in the game has become easy mode, Druid pvp is fun though due to all the micro-management.

But how can you make a game that is dirt simple... even easier? It was the easiest MMO on the market when it came out. Man, standards have fallen so low.

Caffy
06-22-2009, 23:25
The game treated me like I was an inbred retard who couldn't velcro his own shoes.

What is your argument then? You are an inbred retard who can't Velcro your own shoes.

Kelrae
06-23-2009, 01:45

*SIGH*
You are really that much of an idoit, I cant think of words that can make you sound anymore of a retard then you demonstrate in your pathetic posts.
Wow is an excellent dungeon crawler that promotes teamwork/ GREAT content/ GREAT PVE and everyone reading these forums even if they are ashamed to say it had fun on it at some point.

THE REASON WOW is annoying is because:

You have to wait a week to reraid the same pve instance because of the lack of diverse PVE at endgame in order to progress to a new endgame dungeon.
No real economy apart from the purchasing/crafting of items that directly enhance your performance in dungeon crawling.
Lack of guild/clan reason for existance.
Pointless PVP that does not result in any economic/stratigic imapact to yourself or your guild/clan.
Somewhat childish mentality of playerbase

You play a PVE dungeon crawler like wow to experience GAME content with friends, not to stand in Orgrimmer and get worked up or maybe cry because YOU havn't got the lastest epic's.
LEARN TO PLAY MMPORGS!
Oh and the proposed list is rubbish as wow (PVE) is a compleatly different game to DARKFALL (PVP)

Apex Vertigo
06-23-2009, 01:56
*SIGH*
You are really that much of an idoit, I cant think of words that can make you sound anymore of a retard then you demonstrate in your pathetic posts.
Wow is an excellent dungeon crawler that promotes teamwork/ GREAT content/ GREAT PVE and everyone reading these forums even if they are ashamed to say it had fun on it at some point.

You have to wait a week to reraid the same pve instance because of the lack of diverse PVE at endgame in order to progress to a new endgame dungeon.
No real economy apart from the purchasing/crafting of items that directly enhance your performance in dungeon crawling.
Pointless PVP that does not result in any economic/stratigic imapact to yourself or your guild/clan.

I can say right now that as much as I have tried to have fun playing WoW it has felt more like a chore than anything I've ever played. I'm sticking it out until 60 so I don't feel like I completely threw away my money and hoping it gets better...

Kelrae
06-23-2009, 01:59
I can say right now that as much as I have tried to have fun playing WoW it has felt more like a chore than anything I've ever played. I'm sticking it out until 60 so I don't feel like I completely threw away my money and hoping it gets better...

The problems with PVE dungeon crawlers Like wow is that the game doesn't actually start until you get to max lvl which is 80 at the moment!

Apex Vertigo
06-23-2009, 02:01
The problems with PVE dungeon crawlers Like wow is that the game doesn't actually start until you get to max lvl which is 80 at the moment!

Well that's a shame because there is no way I'm dishing out another 35 bucks for the next expansion...

Milo Hobgoblin
06-23-2009, 02:06

This.. although Id correct that to early 2000 on..

low level PvP in AC was awesome

Tibernicus
06-23-2009, 08:21
*SIGH*

Yeah, we did all that shit before in a game that wasn't designed for mentally retarded step children, it was called EverQuest.

Condenmed
06-23-2009, 12:22
*SIGH*

You play a PVE dungeon crawler like wow to experience GAME content with friends, not to stand in Orgrimmer and get worked up or maybe cry because YOU havn't got the lastest epic's.
LEARN TO PLAY MMPORGS!
Oh and the proposed list is rubbish as wow (PVE) is a compleatly different game to DARKFALL (PVP)

If you want a true dungeon crawler to play with friends play Dungeons & Dragons online.