PDA

View Full Version : Map Making?

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 03:53
Hello - I'm writing a fantasy story and I feel to really get into it I need a decent map of the world I want. Anyone know of any free programs I can use to make good looking (kinda archaic/rustic style) maps? any help would be really appreciated thanks!

ApocaRUFF
04-26-2009, 03:55
Hello - I'm writing a fantasy story and I feel to really get into it I need a decent map of the world I want. Anyone know of any free programs I can use to make good looking (kinda archaic/rustic style) maps? any help would be really appreciated thanks!

I know the perfect program to make what you want, it's called Real Life. Not many people know if it, but you can accomplish pretty much any kind of project using it. There's lots of customization tools available too.

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 03:56
I know the perfect program to make what you want, it's called Real Life. Not many people know if it, but you can accomplish pretty much any kind of project using it. There's lots of customization tools available too.

I know what you mean + understand the sarcasm but I would like the map to look decent, not a pile of novice wobbly junk.

lipe[cpc]
04-26-2009, 03:58
When I played RPG 10+ years ago I used the WarCraft 2 map maker.

Tir McDohl
04-26-2009, 04:01
Excellent tools right here.

http://www.profantasy.com/

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 04:01
Looks good lipe - only thing is im looking for a flat kind of fantasy map like the ones you get at the front of a book.

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 04:02
Excellent tools right here.

http://www.profantasy.com/

They cost, fractal terrains doesn't but thats a bit too realistic looking.

Tir McDohl
04-26-2009, 04:03
They cost, fractal terrains doesn't but thats a bit too realistic looking.

Say no more
*hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge*
Say no more

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 04:05
Say no more
Say no more

Huh lol? I want something a bit rustic/archaic looking not realistic global maps :)

Tir McDohl
04-26-2009, 04:06
Huh lol? I want something a bit rustic/archaic looking not realistic global maps :)

Please don't say your that thick..

[O]_Fawkes
04-26-2009, 04:08
Pencil and paper is the best way to do it. Throw it in Photoshop to step it up, but I'd suggest just using pencil and paper for now.

Just draw a real basic-looking sketch and add onto it slowly. When you're done, throw it in Photoshop and make it shine.

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 04:09
Okay, I'll have a look.

I dont have photoshop ^^

lipe[cpc]
04-26-2009, 04:09
Don't stop your writing to create a nice looking map, that's wholly secondary. If you need a map to better locate your mind when writing, something scribbled on a napkin will do.

BUT you can search for gimp and/or photoshop brushes to do the work:
http://free-brushes.com/2009/02/06/overland_map_brushes.html
http://getbrushes.com/signs-symbols-photoshop-brushes/jenn-bs-ancient-map-brushes.php

Tir McDohl
04-26-2009, 04:11
;3303970']Don't stop your writing to create a nice looking map, that's wholly secondary. If you need a map to better locate your mind when writing, something scribbled on a napkin will do.

BUT you can search for gimp and/or photoshop brushes to do the work:
http://free-brushes.com/2009/02/06/overland_map_brushes.html
http://getbrushes.com/signs-symbols-photoshop-brushes/jenn-bs-ancient-map-brushes.php

I disagree. Many authors write their whole background and geography before they start writing their story. It allows for a more believable and realistic setting.

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 04:13
I find I need to look at a map to be able to set out the races, the history and everything. Same with school - I find it easier to learn about things I can picture in my head.

lipe[cpc]
04-26-2009, 04:23
I disagree. Many authors write their whole background and geography before they start writing their story. It allows for a more believable and realistic setting.

There's text after the first period in my paragraph.

sindas
04-26-2009, 04:26
Please don't say your that thick..

That thick? I know exactly where he is coming from. I am going to be working on a book as well, and having some realistic map would look awful in a fantasy or medieval book.

ApocaRUFF
04-26-2009, 04:27
Say no more
Say no more

I know this is off topic, but the pirates are getting bad, right? Doing a whole bunch of illegal stuff in that one bay in Samolia or however you spell it.

ApocaRUFF
04-26-2009, 04:28
That thick? I know exactly where he is coming from. I am going to be working on a book as well, and having some realistic map would look awful in a fantasy or medieval book.

You're that thick too? Look at my previous comment to understand what he's getting at. If you don't understand that, then you need some help.

Twistybundle
04-26-2009, 04:31
Lol you can get banned for talking about this.

Tamural
04-26-2009, 04:35

There might be places that you can get software for free. You know. On the internet.

In other words, they want you to be East Carolina University's mascot.

sindas
04-26-2009, 04:57
There might be places that you can get software for free. You know. On the internet.

In other words, they want you to be East Carolina University's mascot.

are we all talking about the same thing here?

EDIT: obviously we werent, nvm >.<

Tamural
04-26-2009, 05:08
are we all talking about the same thing here?

EDIT: obviously we werent, nvm >.<

Yeeearrrrgghhhh

biggunsar
04-26-2009, 05:10
Yeeearrrrgghhhh

are you okay? it could be those buritos you ate?

Tiarilir
04-26-2009, 05:16
Just use pen & paper. That way you'll get it exactly like you want it, although it could end up a bit messy. After you're done with it all you can just improve upon it over and over again until it looks great.

oh, and btw, if you need someone to toss ideas with, feel free to PM me. I could use some inspiration to write myself.

biggunsar
04-26-2009, 05:21
Just use pen & paper. That way you'll get it exactly like you want it, although it could end up a bit messy. After you're done with it all you can just improve upon it over and over again until it looks great.

oh, and btw, if you need someone to toss ideas with, feel free to PM me. I could use some inspiration to write myself.

fuck this asshole, pfft pen and paper.

Get a sharp knife and cut your wrist. Wave your arm around in a random fashion. The blood splatter can be your map. K?

Tiarilir
04-26-2009, 05:23
fuck this asshole, pfft pen and paper.

Get a sharp knife and cut your wrist. Wave your arm around in a random fashion. The blood splatter can be your map. K?

that'd be a pretty random map, K?

Maybe you should open notepad, get a sharp knife, cut your wrist, wave your arm around and hit it at your keyboard a couple of times. That shit can be your code for your nex new super IT program that will make you millions, K?

biggunsar
04-26-2009, 05:25
that'd be a pretty random map, K?

Maybe you should open notepad, get a sharp knife, cut your wrist, wave your arm around and hit it at your keyboard a couple of times. That shit can be your code for your nex new super IT program that will make you millions, K?

put a cock in it, okay.

Strangia
04-26-2009, 05:58
put a cock in it, okay.

You seem butthurt, k?

sindas
04-26-2009, 06:06
put a cock in it, okay.

he owned you, K?