PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: Top 10 PC Games ever

Darkrabbit18
04-12-2009, 12:37
The top 10 PC games of all time, apparently.

http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=15767677&ocid=today

Oh, and guess whats number 1 Everybody.. :bang:

joindate1954
04-12-2009, 12:43
Damn idiots..

I hate how people say classics were the best games ever just because they were classics, classics are not good games anymore, for example.. Pong was considered the best game ever once upon a time, now.. it sucks..

List should have had Zelda OT, Everquest 1, Ultima Online, Street Fighter, MGS, FF.. Had none of them proving some 55 year old jackass made this list.

Villa
04-12-2009, 12:47
What's wrong with World of Warcraft's position?

Darkrabbit18
04-12-2009, 12:50

Surely you would agree that there are many other games worthy of Number 1?

Speljohan
04-12-2009, 12:52

It definately doesn't deserve that title. It lacks so much content that is required to make it the best game of all times.

Scully
04-12-2009, 12:52
Surely you would agree that there are many other games worthy of Number 1?

A minority opinion. Millions love the game.

StaticBlack
04-12-2009, 13:01
I wouldn't put any MMO in a top 10 list if it were my choice, as they are in general very poor games that reward monotonous repetition and lack depth to actual gameplay.

ExiliuM
04-12-2009, 13:29
Damn idiots..

I hate how people say classics were the best games ever just because they were classics, classics are not good games anymore, for example.. Pong was considered the best game ever once upon a time, now.. it sucks..

List should have had Zelda OT, Everquest 1, Ultima Online, Street Fighter, MGS, FF.. Had none of them proving some 55 year old jackass made this list.

PC Games.

joindate1954
04-12-2009, 13:37
PC Games.

UO, Everquest 1, Dark Age of Camelot, GTA, Stronghold 2, Civ Series, Age of Empires series, Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, World in Conflict, Total War series, Call of Duty 2, Wolfenstein, Sims 2, Sim City 2000, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Buldur's Gate Series, C&C ETC ETC ETC.

Any of those games are far superior to 90% of the things on that Retard list.

Scully
04-12-2009, 13:43
UO, Everquest 1, Dark Age of Camelot, GTA, Stronghold 2, Civ Series, Age of Empires series, Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft, World in Conflict, Total War series, Call of Duty 2, Wolfenstein, Sims 2, Sim City 2000, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Buldur's Gate Series, C&C ETC ETC ETC.

And Fallout 1 and 2 are superior to Fallout 3.

Marrik
04-12-2009, 14:05
Goldeneye might be a classic, but i think we all know that if it came out now itd suck the ass.

so why is it number one? Half Life 1 should be number 1 imo. not only is it a classic, its still really good even today.

BlackVolgan
04-12-2009, 14:05
counterstrike should've been number 1.

Tiarilir
04-12-2009, 14:07
A universal list can't exist because peoples opinions always changes.

Check out this list instead ;-)
http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/

Marrik
04-12-2009, 14:08

counterstrike was originally a Hal Life mod, correct?

yet another reason HL1 is deserving of number 1, not only was it (and still is today) among the best singleplayer games ever, it spawned one of the best multiplayer games too.

PrinceOfLove
04-12-2009, 14:17
That list was totally worthless, it tried to be way to "pc" so it had way to many old titles. And now I feel like I have to make my own list as well:

1.Dominions 3
2.Net Hack
3.Call of Duty 4
4.Civilization 4
5.Crysis
6.Flatout 2
7.Enemy Territory
8.Step Mania
9.Jedi Academy
10.Mount and Blade

dinkfall
04-12-2009, 14:25
I've seen much shittier top game lists, I think that one is pretty accurate.
But doesn't seem like they really know that much about how gaming has been progressing, Half-Life is too big to be ignored, should have been there instead of Doom.

Nevron
04-12-2009, 14:51
A minority opinion. Millions love the game.

Millions love Britney Spears. Doesn't make her the best.

Butcher
04-12-2009, 14:58

qft

Alot of people think just because there so many people playing the damn game its good.
Well, compare 8 million or more like 3 million actual players that play wow to 20 million Half-Life (all the half-life stuff) sold.
That makes Half-life the best PC game and because its not even on their list, that makes their list worthless

Frederikcola
04-12-2009, 15:13
qft

20 million Half-Life (all the half-life stuff) sold.
That makes Half-life the best PC game and because its not even on their list, that makes their list worthless

So what? i bet 75% of the people who bought the games dont play it anymore

Scully
04-12-2009, 15:31
Doesn't make her the best.

That's your opinion.

alfaroverall
04-12-2009, 16:01

Several of those are IN that list; specifically Starcraft, Civ 1, Sims 1 (granted, not Sims 2, but still, same idea), SimCity 1 (same deal).

Off-topic: Sims 2, in retrospect, made me kinda sad; it was more fun and addictive to play than Sims 1 (it gave you more specific goals to do while still remaining open-ended, primarily), it had tremendously more content (even before any expansions it had more content than Sims 1 had with like 1/2 of its expansions, and then it released a bunch of expansions), but god, it's just too fucking easy! I mean, the biggest task you could probably hope to accomplish would be to have an entire family of immortals (since that means you're basically making your people live out their wildest dreams 24/7), and that's a ridiculously easy task to do!

On-topic again: I should play some of those old school games, like Myst. Might be fun. Still, I agree, even as a gamer who doesn't play a whole lot of PC games and never really did, that's way too many old school games IMO.

Off-topic again: Is SimCity 2000 much better than SimCity 4? I tried to play SimCity 4 for a while and I just got tired of it for some reason. Specifically I got frustrated about dealing with power production and waste management vs. pollution within my own city, instead of doing what I would call "cheating" and making another city to pawn it off on. Which, by the way, is one of the things that makes Sims 3 appealing to me: you can't "cheat" and make friends with people while playing their houses instead of at yours to save time, since *gasp* everyone actually plays at the same time!0

This is probably my most tangential post ever.

Humanophage
04-12-2009, 16:57
The list is simply strange. It has currently poorly known gems like Trade Wars or M.U.L.E., rather average representatives of the genre like Myst, mass-appeal games like World of Warcraft, and rightfully famous games like Civilization. Not to mention weird descriptions, such as calling Baldur's Gate a "dungeon crawl RPG" which owes its existence primarily to Rogue.

Natdaprat
04-12-2009, 17:35
Why is Half Life 1 or 2 not on that list?!!?!

Signus
04-12-2009, 17:53
Damn idiots..

Most of those aren't PC games.

As for WoW being number one, I SHOULD be surprised, but I'm not. The game doesn't deserve it, that's like having Halo on that list instead of Doom. If anything it should have been EQ or UO, because they were the big innovators if the industry. Also, where's Half Life?

Temet nosce
04-12-2009, 17:54
Look up at top and check the site name... Now hit the exit button and go on with your life, MSN is not qualified to make such a list.

Dredgon
04-12-2009, 18:05
What the hell are those damn gay 2D games(Except for Doom, that's not gay it's the best fucking game ever)?

heroshade
04-12-2009, 18:09
Of all the games on that list, I'd put Myst on number one. And SC on two. The rest either suck, or I haven't played them.

Niles
04-12-2009, 18:12
I feel fucking sick.

Betelguez
04-12-2009, 18:14
WoW deserve that spot for blizzards financial success alone.

and seriously... WHERE THE FUCK IS HALF-LIFE 1? I have played through that game over 5 times(+ blue shift, opposing force, mods etc), I even loved that game and everything about it so much that I spent years mapping in worldcraft (now valvehammer)

I have even written several certificate-in-advanced-english assignments pretending to be the theoretical physicist Gordon Freeman

and if I ever face a hostile alien, I'll beat the shit out of it with a red crowbar

Niles
04-12-2009, 18:15
WoW deserve that spot for blizzards financial success alone.

You better fucking run.

Natdaprat
04-12-2009, 18:18
What the hell are those damn gay 2D games(Except for Doom, that's not gay it's the best fucking game ever)?

Hey don't disrespect my childhood games!! Though yeah, today they are rather lame and don't belong on a top 10 list. Still awesome games though.
Doom 4ever!!11

Betelguez
04-12-2009, 18:20
You better fucking run.

says the nobody , I had 4000+ posts before I got perma banned (for not liking the beta)

Natdaprat
04-12-2009, 18:22
says the nobody , I had 4000+ posts before I got perma banned (for not liking the beta)

Is that you... Lethn?

Betelguez
04-12-2009, 18:22
Is that you... Lethn?

no, but did he face the same fate? "life's" a bitch : /

Niles
04-12-2009, 18:28

QQ more.

Preston
04-12-2009, 18:46
I agree, the review is packed full of fail. Missing UO and the Baldur's Gate Series? While including some shitty 1980's games maybe 1,000 people played worldwide? And then just jumping to WoW? Lamers.

Aardvarkian
04-12-2009, 18:47

Oh, irony. Civ 3 and 4, especially 3, are no where near as good as 2. Diablo 1 was a much better game than Diablo 2. UO, EQ, and DAoC are basically all classics of the MMO genre. UO popularized MMOs, EQ spawned a host of clones, DAoC contributed totally inconsequential rubber band PvP. War Craft 2 was good, but not as good as its older brother SC... WC3 was bleh.

Nafelos
04-12-2009, 18:51
I like how they didn't include Baldur's Gate, NWN1 (im iffy on this one), or Tie Fighter (a must). UO and EQ probably should have been on there as well.

Betelguez
04-12-2009, 18:51
Oh, irony. Civ 3 and 4, especially 3, are no where near as good as 2. Diablo 1 was a much better game than Diablo 2. UO, EQ, and DAoC are basically all classics of the MMO genre. UO popularized MMOs, EQ spawned a host of clones, DAoC contributed totally inconsequential rubber band PvP. War Craft 2 was good, but not as good as its older brother SC... WC3 was bleh.

I spent a lot more time with Diablo 2 than 1

War Craft 2 was good, but not as good as its older brother SC...

yea? SC was on the list

Loger
04-12-2009, 18:53
I happen to disagree fervantly on many of your counts... D1 better than D2? Wtf?

Scully
04-12-2009, 19:02
Diablo 1 was a much better game than Diablo 2.

No.

Signus
04-12-2009, 19:17

Most of those 2d games were great, and far more complex and satisfying than many modern games. They birthed the industry. I don't know if I'd put them at top 10, but they are surely up there. WoW... is not. It's like putting Halo or Gears of War up as greatest game ever.

Dredgon
04-12-2009, 19:46
Most of those 2d games were great, and far more complex and satisfying than many modern games. They birthed the industry. I don't know if I'd put them at top 10, but they are surely up there. WoW... is not. It's like putting Halo or Gears of War up as greatest game ever.

But.... they're OLD!

Butcher
04-12-2009, 21:28
So what? i bet 75% of the people who bought the games dont play it anymore

lol ofcourse not, you enjoy the game like a book and thats it. The game shouldnt be your life. At least those people saved themselves 100s of hours and 100s of $ gaining nothing

The Dark Zealot
04-12-2009, 21:58
why the fuck wasnt starcraft at #1? the most balanced RTS ever made, that game is god.

Signus
04-12-2009, 22:04
why the fuck wasnt starcraft at #1? the most balanced RTS ever made, that game is god.

Multiplayer wise (SC has it beat storyline) AoE2, I feel, is a far far better RTS game than Starcraft, with much better more refined game mechanics. God, moving units in SC is a nightmare.

alfaroverall
04-12-2009, 22:24
Multiplayer wise (SC has it beat storyline) AoE2, I feel, is a far far better RTS game than Starcraft, with much better more refined game mechanics. God, moving units in SC is a nightmare.
I think most SC players would argue that the difficult in moving units in SC is "working as intended." That is, a big chunk of being good at the game is just dealing with the sheer difficulty of playing it. I'm personally divided on this issue (and I'm a pretty big fan of SC, even though I'm pretty bad at it), but I can definitely see how many SC players would think this.

Killuminati
04-12-2009, 23:49
worst video game list of all time, period. Not even because of what's number 1.

Crimm
04-13-2009, 00:39
No Deus Ex, no counterstrike, no mass effect. Clearly a list made by a pimply MUDder with a narrow view of games.

PeZzy
04-13-2009, 00:45
World of Warcraft is number one because PC gaming is dying. Blizzard exaggerated their subscription numbers by double according to the real statistics that independent companies have gathered.

Betelguez
04-13-2009, 02:33
Blizzard exaggerated their subscription numbers by double according to the real statistics that independent companies have gathered.

Sauce? Any hobo can make up random shit

Signus
04-13-2009, 02:38
No Deus Ex, no counterstrike, no mass effect. Clearly a list made by a pimply MUDder with a narrow view of games.

Mass Effect as best PC game? It's not even a PC game, its a console port that crashes every 5 minutes. MUDs birthed PC gaming, a few deserve to be in the top 10.

Vessol
04-13-2009, 02:42

Or someone who isn't 15 years old.

Betelguez
04-13-2009, 02:45
and cs is technically a mod of half life

Crimm
04-13-2009, 03:52
Mass Effect as best PC game? It's not even a PC game, its a console port that crashes every 5 minutes. MUDs birthed PC gaming, a few deserve to be in the top 10.

I have never had problems with Mass Effect crashing on my PC, then again I didn't torrent it. I consider Mass Effect for all purposes much better on PC, from aiming to graphics to loading times. It deserves the spot of being the best Action RPG for PC so far. MUD games are fine, but you can't make a top 10 games list when you've only tried one type of game.

Vessol
04-13-2009, 03:54
I have never had problems with Mass Effect crashing on my PC, then again I didn't torrent it. I consider Mass Effect for all purposes much better on PC, from aiming to graphics to loading times. It deserves the spot of being the best Action RPG for PC so far.

Mass Effect was such a pile of shit it doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. Boring combat system that was clunky as fuck, unoriginal story, lackluster graphics(except in dialog). No thanks.

Without Rogue there would be no Balders Gates, thus no Bioware, thus no Mass Effect.

Grow the fuck up kid.

Crimm
04-13-2009, 03:57
Mass Effect was such a pile of shit it doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. Boring combat system that was clunky as fuck, unoriginal story, lackluster graphics(except in dialog). No thanks.

Without Rogue there would be no Balders Gates, thus no Bioware, thus no Mass Effect.

Grow the fuck up kid.

Raged nerd?

Vessol
04-13-2009, 04:00
Raged nerd?

<-- A reasonable adult who finds dumbed down kids games such as Mass Effect boring and a waste of time.

Crimm
04-13-2009, 04:04
<-- A reasonable adult who finds dumbed down kids games such as Mass Effect boring and a waste of time.

Don't worry there's always the next shitty Morrowind game on the horizon for old timers who've lost their reflexes and quick thinking.

holychicken
04-13-2009, 04:09
Damn idiots..

He obviously used "influence" as a strong indicator. . .so obviously the classics that opened up all of the major styles of PC games are going to rank higher on his list than games that copied them but are far more involved.

Vessol
04-13-2009, 04:18
Don't worry there's always the next shitty Morrowind game on the horizon for old timers who've lost their reflexes and quick thinking.

Morrowind was pretty decent for one reason: Setting and Story. The gameplay sucked.

Oblivion sucked as it had no immersion.

And people who want to play a gamethat requires reflexes, play NES games, fucktwat. It's called Nintendo Hard. No saves, a few lives, insane difficulty.

Crimm
04-13-2009, 04:23
Morrowind was pretty decent for one reason: Setting and Story. The gameplay sucked.

Oblivion sucked as it had no immersion.

And people who want to play a gamethat requires reflexes, play NES games, fucktwat. It's called Nintendo Hard. No saves, a few lives, insane difficulty.

I didn't ask for your opinion on anything, I was just trying to calm you down, Pops.

Shooba
04-13-2009, 04:58
Millions love Britney Spears. Doesn't make her the best.

uh if more people like that one thing more than any other thing it will always come out as number one... will it not?

StaticBlack
04-13-2009, 05:08

There's a difference between action adventure games and RPG's. Mass Effect is terrible if you're classing it as an RPG. Whilst Morrowind certainly isn't the RPG of the century, it definatly has a lot more depth to the traits that support that kind of game.

NewRage
04-13-2009, 05:14
uh if more people like that one thing more than any other thing it will always come out as number one... will it not?

Music cirtics will never put Britney Spears as the best music, despite how many millions like her. The same way game critics should not put WoW as the best game. If the list were the most influential game then it might be different, but numbers don't make best. Still without looking up the numbers I'm sure there are games that sold more than WoW, it may be the best selling MMORPG but it's not the best game, or best selling game so why the hell is it number 1?

Oh, and...

I hate how people say classics were the best games...
Zelda OT, Everquest 1, Ultima Online, Street Fighter, MGS, FF
Thanks for trying, but choose 3 more that aren't classics.

ForzikTheFeared
04-13-2009, 05:49
Stronghold should be up there. Such an awe-inspiring game.

SJCA
04-13-2009, 06:15
I got greatly annoyed and bored with WoW, but IMO it is clearly the best MMO of the new gen of online games. Many people on here hate it, and have come here as an alternate to WoW, but it is still without a doubt one of the best games ever. It is great in nearly every aspect and the amount of users who continue to play it despite the amazing amount of grinding shows just how great it is.

Even though I have left WoW, and I hate the expansion, I haven't been able to find an MMO that can keep me entertained as long as WoW(Haven't play DF yet, hoping it is the one).

Just my opinion..

CuriousGeorge
04-13-2009, 12:44

*backslaps Crimm*

Get out...HEATHEN!

Killuminati
04-13-2009, 12:50

haha, this

Mass Effect was shit, though...

TrikkyMakk
04-13-2009, 14:06
Dungeon Keeper should have been number 1

TrikkyMakk
04-13-2009, 14:08
I got greatly annoyed and bored with WoW, but IMO it is clearly the best MMO of the new gen of online games. Many people on here hate it, and have come here as an alternate to WoW, but it is still without a doubt one of the best games ever. It is great in nearly every aspect and the amount of users who continue to play it despite the amazing amount of grinding shows just how great it is.

Even though I have left WoW, and I hate the expansion, I haven't been able to find an MMO that can keep me entertained as long as WoW(Haven't play DF yet, hoping it is the one).

Just my opinion..

WoW is polished but I would not describe it as great. Only extremely polished.

Wickfield
04-13-2009, 14:51
hmmm...

I'm a valve fanboy, so a list from me wouldn't be what you would call 'fair'. Or well thought out, or anything -- these are just my faves.

1) Half-Life
2) Counter-Strike: Source
3) Ultima Online
4) Half-Life 2
5) Delta Force 2
6) COD:4
7) MechWarrior 3
8) Morrowind
9) ????
10) ????

come to think of it, I don't really play tons of pc games. should probably pirate a shitload of titles and find out what all the fuss was about surrounding them.