PDA

View Full Version : Killzone 2

heroshade
03-08-2009, 16:50
I just bought the game yesterday, and so far it's a fairly decent game. Most of the campaigns objectives consist of "Defend this spot, eliminate hostiles, make manly Rambo reference" type missions, but otherwise it's good. They do tend to send you off on your own a lot, giving it a sort of "Superman" complex. I was slightly disappointed with the lack of secondary fire for weapons like in the first game.

The multiplayer is, of course, the area the seem to have put in most of their effort. It has a leveling system like CoD4, except you only get experience from kills, not finishing objectives. Each map (Which there are surprisingly few of) plays through all of the game types; Assassination, where one team must protect one of it's members. Attack and Defend, where one team must plant some bombs and defend them until they go off. Assault (I think) where one team must defend a spot (Which you spawn really fucking far away from) from the enemy. Theres a few more, but I can't remember them, and they're really nothing new.

Back to the leveling system. The higher level you are, the bigger a variety of weapons and equipment you can use. You also unlocked classes; Medic, Spy, Engineer, Sniper.... This sounding familier to anyone else? Although most of the classes have the same skills as those in TF2, it really lacks the strategy element. The Engineer can place down a few defensive turrents, but one person can easily unload a clip into it and destroy it before it notices it is dieing. Theres also the "Technician" which can throw down green smoke, AKA, can set a spawn point in strategic locations, although, the word "Strategic" seems to be lost on a lot of the people who choose this class. More often than not, you will look at the map, and the spawn grenade will be nowhere near the objective. Luckily, if you're in a squad, you can spawn near your squad leader, who, unless he likes standing in a corner doing nothing, will probably be doing something useful.

All in all, I give the game a B-

Not the revolutionary doorbasher it promised to be, but still very worth buying. I've only played the game for one day however, so updates are still very possible. Either way, Killzone is still and will always be the Halo killer.

Wickfield
03-08-2009, 16:55
the way you've described it the game doesn't sound very fun.

heroshade
03-08-2009, 16:56
the way you've described it the game doesn't sound very fun.

Yeah, I realize that I only focused on the negatives.

Viluin
03-08-2009, 17:40
You should finish the single player campaign. It gets increasingly more epic over time. Make sure you play it in Veteran for a real challenge though, it's not nearly as fun on lower difficulties.

There are a few missions that are just ridiculous on Veteran. Enemies coming from literally everywhere that will kill you in 3 seconds when they flank you, multiple heavy soldiers, crazy grenades and all you have to work with is cover and expendable marines. Some of the missions are crazy and will give you a real feeling of being in the middle of a war. Also, the last mission will make you want to shoot yourself that's how hardcore it is.

The main thing I liked about the single player was that it actually required tactics to beat. Run and gun will get you killed fast. Sitting behind one spot of cover like a turtle will get you killed. Killzone 2 on Veteran is somewhat comparable to Gears of War on Insane. Helghast soldiers can take a lot of punishment, and they're not afraid to get up close and personal. They won't sit back behind cover to shoot you all the time, they'll try to move closer if they can.

PS: Rico is a retard.

Fro
03-08-2009, 17:44
I'm planning on getting this if i cant get darkfall pretty quickly. How is the online play? Does the shooting feel right, are the weapons varied? Most of the big console shooters this year have realy disapointed me so i dont realy want to waste my money on this if its crap.

Erratic
03-08-2009, 18:02
the fact that you can mix and match class abilities make it better by TF2 by default... You aren't just locked into a specific class, you can have a person plant engineer traps while using the sniper's stealth suite for example...

Fro
03-08-2009, 18:05
the fact that you can mix and match class abilities make it better by TF2 by default... You aren't just locked into a specific class, you can have a person plant engineer traps while using the sniper's stealth suite for example...

Why not just have custom classes like CoD4. That seems the best idea.

BranX
03-08-2009, 18:06
I love it I play it all the time.

Kusghuul
03-08-2009, 22:18
You should finish the single player campaign. It gets increasingly more epic over time. Make sure you play it in Veteran for a real challenge though, it's not nearly as fun on lower difficulties.

i ran through it on Trooper or whatever, using a knife 90% of the time. it's a piece of piss. Am i the only one finding the aim fucking disastrous?

Fro
03-08-2009, 22:19
i ran through it on Trooper or whatever, using a knife 90% of the time. it's a piece of piss. Am i the only one finding the aim fucking disastrous?

Whats wrong with the aiming?

[O]_Fawkes
03-08-2009, 22:19
Can't stand Killzone.

My friends like it, but it feels like Halo on the Playstation to me.

Viluin
03-08-2009, 22:31

Trooper is either Normal or Easy. Veteran is hard, Elite is very hard. The aim is not disastrous, it's just different.

I guarantee you you will not "use the knife 90% of the time" on Veteran. A single melee hit from Helghast will kill you, and getting close to enough to hit him is quite a feat. A burst of fire from an SMG / assault rifle from up close or one good hit from a shotgun and you're dead. Generally speaking, if you end up in a melee range of a Helghast you will either die, or you'll be nearly dead when you kill him. It's one of the reasons why being flanked is often gg. Which sucks because it means you actually have to rely on the marines that are around you, and pay attention to them so you can revive them when they die. If they don't have your back things will heat up quickly.

I haven't tried Elite yet, but it must be a nightmare. Many people can't even finish the game on Veteran, just google "visari's palace veteran". It's one of the hardest shooters I've ever played, not counting the ones that make the game harder by giving enemies 2 million HP (/cough gaylo). Helghast still die in 1 headshot etc on Veteran.

_Fawkes;2955208']Can't stand Killzone.

My friends like it, but it feels like Halo on the Playstation to me.

Rofl. Resistance is Halo on Playstation. Killzone 2 is like the polar opposite of those shooters, it feels nothing like Halo. Halo and Resistance, while they may be entertaining, suffer from the "cheap console shooter" syndrome. Cheap controls, cheap gameplay. They don't feel unique at all. Killzone 2 feels like a unique and high quality shooter, I'd almost put it in the same league as Half-Life 2.

Barbot
03-08-2009, 23:31
I watched my friend play it and it looked pretty dumb. The knife seemed far too effective compared to the guns. I watched him run around knifing everyone he came across. Once he got bored of knifing, he switched to a rifle and the pace of the game slowed down considerably. It would take 10 - 15 shots to kill someone. Seemed like a waste of time to shoot that much when you could knife everyone instead.

Viluin
03-08-2009, 23:59
I watched my friend play it and it looked pretty dumb. The knife seemed far too effective compared to the guns. I watched him run around knifing everyone he came across. Once he got bored of knifing, he switched to a rifle and the pace of the game slowed down considerably. It would take 10 - 15 shots to kill someone. Seemed like a waste of time to shoot that much when you could knife everyone instead.

He must have been playing it on Easy mode. There's no way you can just run up to enemies and knife them, not when you die in 5 shots and they all have automatic rifles. You don't want to know how often a Helghast flanked me and killed me in 1 burst of fire before I could even turn around on Veteran.

Kusghuul
03-09-2009, 00:13
Trooper is either Normal or Easy. Veteran is hard, Elite is very hard. The aim is not disastrous, it's just different.

Rofl. Resistance is Halo on Playstation. Killzone 2 is like the polar opposite of those shooters, it feels nothing like Halo. Halo and Resistance, while they may be entertaining, suffer from the "cheap console shooter" syndrome. Cheap controls, cheap gameplay. They don't feel unique at all. Killzone 2 feels like a unique and high quality shooter, I'd almost put it in the same league as Half-Life 2.

Aye, it's normal or whatever. Halo 1 was quality, Halo 2 and 3, not so much. Killzone 2 doesn't feel very unique, feels more like Gears of War somehow. Can't describe it though.

heroshade
03-09-2009, 00:31
Aye, it's normal or whatever. Halo 1 was quality, Halo 2 and 3, not so much. Killzone 2 doesn't feel very unique, feels more like Gears of War somehow. Can't describe it though.

The chest high walls all over the place?