PDA

View Full Version : UFC fans here?

Silt
08-28-2005, 04:51
well seeing most here are pvpers, any of you fans of MMA (mixed martial arts for those that are unsure)?

if so any one following the new TUF season?

NewclearPremise
08-28-2005, 04:55
hah I watch it all the time...

Did you watch the last fight on payperview...Lidell vs. Jeremy horn...

That last group of fights was best I ever seen.

Tim Sylvia vs. Tra Telligman was insane too. That kick from Sylvia was isnane...

Silt
08-28-2005, 04:59
no i missed the last one :( horn is and always will be my favorite fighter, smart, intelligent, can grapple, strike, and take a hit... the guy is a MMA genius

NewclearPremise
08-28-2005, 05:22
Yea, I've always been a Liddell fan so it was perfect for me heh. :D

WonderBrick
08-28-2005, 05:48
I watch all the UFCs, and am getting into Pride more and more. I am watching this Sunday's Crocop vs Fedor Pride fight, plus with the bonus of watching Wanderlei Silva.

In UFC, I am a big fan of George St Pierre, Evan Tanner, and Rich Franklin. In Pride, I am a huge fan of Wanderlei Silva(I love the knees...part of the reason I love Tanner and Franklin so much).

TUF1 did nothing for me, save for the final Griffen vs Bonner fight. I hope TUF2 has less drama, and more behind-the-scenes training and insight.

Renithir
08-28-2005, 05:57
If anyone is new to this, do yourself a favor and rent the original UFC fights at your local vid store. Some might be bored by the subltey of watching Royce Gracie in action, but there is more goodness in that era than any other.

NewRage
08-28-2005, 06:19
TUF1 did nothing for me, save for the final Griffen vs Bonner fight. I hope TUF2 has less drama, and more behind-the-scenes training and insight.

I actually didn't care for much of the Griffen vs Bonner fight. It had it's moments, but most of it seemed like inexperienced boxing. It might also just be that I prefer good grappling and ground work over a standing fight, don't get me wrong boxing is good... when it lasts a round or round & 1/2, if there is no knockout by then someone should take it to the ground. That might be why Diego was my favorite fighter (even though he was a weird ass person), because his ground work was leaps and bounds above the others on that show.

I'm psyched about Rich Franklin being a coach though... but that first epsiode disappointed me. Like two of the fighters pussed out. Although to give the guy trying to lose weight credit, if he really was coughing up yellow shit, and dizzy as hell, he would have still been able to lose the extra 5 lbs, but he wouldn't of been able to fight very well in that condition...

Silt
08-28-2005, 06:28
newrage- ya the puss's there were something else werent they ;) but the guy who was cutting weight would have been in bad shape come fight time but i still think he would have won... i saw some of his fights and that boy can hit..

renithir- you are so under-stating the early UFCs, they set the ground work for ALL fighters of that time and the future, as for royce gracie i was impressed with him until the third UFC... kimo laid it to him but gracie also proved his style wasnt good vs strikers w/limited ground knowledge

wonderbrick- heh come on the whole series was ground breaking for a usually ppv event, to bring it mainstream was a stroke of genius, now even poor guys like me can watch it on asteady basis ;) kidding aside tho, the first tuf had more personality to it, leben/koscheack<dont care bout the spelling cause the guy was a fruit anyways>/southworth, these 3 alone set a nice tempo throughout

newclear- you must also be a heavy boxing fan to like liddel :P

Thalion
08-28-2005, 16:28
Bas Rutten Owns All.

Edit: Owned :(

Silt
08-28-2005, 17:09
Bas USED to own, he was a VERY good fighter in his prime, his ground work was nothing special tho, which showed as he got older, guy had knockout power in every strike.. which is something not even the best strikers can say in todays ufc

Jebsta16
08-28-2005, 17:42
i try to follow it my best but i follow so many things i forget about it sometimes.. i really like the iceman he is always fun to watch.. i thought that griffin bonner fight was awesome.. then poor shamrock got his ass handed to him.. i wonder if he wouldnt have slipped would he have won??

WonderBrick
08-28-2005, 17:56
Anyone watching the Pride fight tonight?

Thalion
08-28-2005, 18:12
yeah I wish I knew about UFC when Bas was a fighter but I've seen lots of old videos of his fights...that dude could take a beating and still knock your ass out 3 rounds later.

Silt
08-28-2005, 18:52
jeb- shamrock is old, sure his fight prior to franklin was a ko victory over kimo but.. kimo is old now to :/ the slip was a sign of his age, least in my eyes... clumsy,sloppy, and not all there.. hehe then again i never have liked shamrock, not even frank, who was considered the best ever in middleweights

wonderbrick- the only reason i would watch pride is if one of the better fighters stepped in, one of the all around balanced type, pride also takes on a lot of 'new' fighters and a lot of the ufcs 'rejects', sure pride does do one thing that is really good, thats bring up some of the best fighters in the world now, who all go to the ufc at one point ;)

thalion- its a shame really we all age, or my money would have been on bas for a lot longer then it did..

WonderBrick
08-28-2005, 19:15
Pride has alot of top-level champions that are operating ona whole other level then UFC, inpart because of the rule differences. Pride tends to be alot more vicious. I can't wait to see Crocop come over to UFC, after his Fedor fight, like he has said he will be doing.

It is also a shame that a fantastic champion like Wanderlei Silva came over to UFC and got stomped to soundly by Vitor belfort and Tito.

It is also a shame that the UFC discards so many decent B-grade fighters that would still bring fun fights, diversity, and larger audiences. Tank, Shamrock, Matt Lindlind, Trigg, Ivan Salaverry, Baroni, etc. I would love to see a new pre-view Spike TV event each week, having maybe 4 fights showing up-and-comer fights fighting through B-level fighters that have come off the top. Then the top title fights, and #1 contender fights could be saved for PPV.

facerip
08-28-2005, 19:31
I'm just glad that the sport is finally getting back to a more strike oriented fight. Submission is really awesome but it's boring to watch.

Silt
08-28-2005, 19:45
wonder- im not knocking pride or anything, but there is a trend if you watch both ufc and pride, ufc is the top of the food chain in mma, no doubt about that, and pride is more like a proving grounds for good fighters its a very small step down for the ufc

facerip- id love to see more grappling then striking, i used to think grappling sucked and always kept fights on the feet, but then i learned HOW to grapple and learned as a small guy, that grappling is much more effecient, cleaner, and safer, sorta :), then striking, when i can take some one out of a fight with submission holds rather then severely hurting someone with a strike i myself prefer that, breaking an appendage is, imo, much better then possibly maiming someone for life or even killing them

side note: ive been involved with the martial arts for 18 years now, so i have a pretty good idea on grappling over striking, and vice versa in some cases ;)

Thalion
08-28-2005, 20:36
yeah i got hooked on UFC not because guys could get knocked out with one punch, i could watch a tyson fight for that...

I enjoy the strategy in carrying out a submission but a good knock out is fun to watch also.

Recently they've been showing a pride fight on cable between Liddel (Iceman) and some dude named Rampage...That's the first time I've seen Liddel get owned for the most part. Not sure how old it is though.

Silt
08-28-2005, 21:36
its older, that fight took place just before he came back to the ufc, i heard that rampage is a possibility to get to the ufc, as is shogun, which should be interesting to say the least, who i would like to see come to the ufc as a heavy weight is bob sapp, that guy can hit and hit really hard, havent seen him on the ground tho so who knows :)

Amaj
08-28-2005, 22:34
I'm just glad that the sport is finally getting back to a more strike oriented fight. Submission is really awesome but it's boring to watch.
I personally like submissions more then striking, as long as the groundwork stays active. Seeing two skilled submissions guys go at it, moving from one move, straight into another, is wonderful to watch. I also like the more creative submission fighters out there, like Ivan Salaverry.

Silt
08-28-2005, 23:03
one of the best grappling matches i ever saw was ken shamrock and royce gracie, for the record i dont like either of them as fighters but thats just me, i think it took place at ufc 7? where they fought to a 35minute draw.... if the time limit wasnt there im sure they could have gone for a couple of hours at the least!

Amaj
08-28-2005, 23:30
one of the best grappling matches i ever saw was ken shamrock and royce gracie, for the record i dont like either of them as fighters but thats just me, i think it took place at ufc 7? where they fought to a 35minute draw.... if the time limit wasnt there im sure they could have gone for a couple of hours at the least!

That was a great example of Shamrocks greatest defensive tactic: when he can't win, he hangs on for dear life. He did the same thing in his match against Tito.

Silt
08-28-2005, 23:43
actually if you see his fights over the past 3 years or so, you will notice that is how he fights anyways, he became a striker to the extreme after he left the WWE and forgot how to grapple.. was kind of sad really, going from one of the best ever grapplers to a half assed fighter in general :/

Renithir
08-29-2005, 00:10

Just to give an idea of how these people fight... Royce Gracie's Father fought a match, that I believe, was 15 hours long and was fought with a broken arm. If ever you see that match again listen to the commentary. They mention it there.

Watching a Gracie fight is like watching a Boaconstrictor (SP?). It seems like nothing is going on, but in reality there is subtle positioning and tightening, waiting and manipulating, until a proper hold can be put in place.

Thalion
08-29-2005, 00:38
its older, that fight took place just before he came back to the ufc, i heard that rampage is a possibility to get to the ufc, as is shogun, which should be interesting to say the least, who i would like to see come to the ufc as a heavy weight is bob sapp, that guy can hit and hit really hard, havent seen him on the ground tho so who knows :)

o damn, i just remembered who BOb sapp is.

That is the biggest guy I have ever seen yet he is still pretty ripped...I watched him on K-1 boxing though, he got beat pretty bad cus the dude took out his legs.

Khahan
08-29-2005, 01:53
I always liked Tank Abbot. He was like a tank, slow and unwieldy, but when he actually connected MAN it was like IT'S OVER SON!

I also liked good ole Tito Ortiz and his streetstyle. :P

I know these are old names.

Silt
08-29-2005, 03:10
khahan- tank couldve been a great fighter if he conditioned himself more :( he has lost like his last 3 fights (which he took on short notice) but ya i hear ya on how hard he can hit, hehe one match he had he literally crumpled a guy up with a couple of hits

thalion- lol sapp has lost a fight? ;) he also btw is a former nfl'er i believe, which explains his size

ren- i merely mentioned that match because it was the first real match ever to see two really good grapplers go at it, i am more then sure at that time both royce and ken would have taken that match way beyond 15 hours if it was allowed, back then ken was a tank and never panicked, which made him just under or close to royces ability, which at the time was making him famous and mor epronounced in the MMA world

a lot of people in the MMA world still mention the gracies as the pioneers of grappling, and they are pretty clsoe to the truth :)

Khahan
08-29-2005, 03:45
Nobody is down with Tito Ortiz?

Silt
08-29-2005, 04:54
tito is cool and all, i like his attitude but he no longer is in the ufc and what i read it also says pride wont pick him up either

Amaj
08-29-2005, 05:06
Tito is good fighter, but to one-dimensional for me. Plus I hate the punk attitude he constantly has on.

Anyone watch the Pride fight tonight? It had some decent fights.

Khahan
08-29-2005, 05:19
Yeah Tito is cocky, but he fights like a human version of a pit bull. I didn't like him at first, especially when he beat Frank. But he kinda grew on me.

Silt
08-29-2005, 08:48
the lions den was over rated, it was 'good' cause of kens name, tito quickly proved that point by beating all the lions den members, even raising and lowering his weight to be able to fight them

also on a side note from the ufc but on topic for MMA the results came in on the pride event if you dont wish to know dont click the link (it is to the TUF forums) where i found them, was too lazy to go elsewhere.. its 10 to 4 in the morn here ;) http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/forum/forum.php?fid=12

Gloomrender
08-29-2005, 10:14
I want to see UFC with midievil weapons.

"Omg chuck liddel the iceman just got ICED by that morning star, that had to hurt!"

"Im sure it did, right before his brains were splattered all over the ring!"

*DEEP VOICE*

"UFC!!!! Next weeks episode is the three way primal match when 2 lions will be randomly released into the cage! UFC!!! HARDCORE~!#!@#!$#!@#$@#%@#$

America is turning into rome...

Teth
08-29-2005, 10:38
America is turning into rome...
Except without a good chunk of the genuinely admirable traits. How a hundred years changes things, eh? :/

Khahan
08-29-2005, 10:43
Except without a good chunk of the genuinely admirable traits. How a hundred years changes things, eh? :/
Like the knowitall sarcasm of naive youth?

Ok i thought about it for a few more minutes and I'll give you the sandals... Those Romans had some BITCHIN' sandals man!

Teth
08-29-2005, 10:55
Like the knowitall sarcasm of naive youth?

Ok i thought about it for a few more minutes and I'll give you the sandals... Those Romans had some BITCHIN' sandals man!
Everybody loves the Roman sandals. All-terrain, all-purpose sandals!

Silt
08-29-2005, 17:42
lol khahan that scares me ... you want their sandals?? id rather have their open sex policy myself... only culture that would watch men die and eat and have sex... theres a culture we all could embrace ;)

Gloomrender
08-30-2005, 01:15
lol khahan that scares me ... you want their sandals?? id rather have their open sex policy myself... only culture that would watch men die and eat and have sex... theres a culture we all could embrace ;)

They didnt have STD's back then though, lucky them.

Silt
08-30-2005, 03:06
they might have we dont know ;) maybe it wasnt plagues of locusts and what not but STDs and they didnt want to fess up to their probs ;) after all history can be re-done to fit the persons point of view ;)

Gloomrender
08-30-2005, 03:43
they might have we dont know ;) maybe it wasnt plagues of locusts and what not but STDs and they didnt want to fess up to their probs ;) after all history can be re-done to fit the persons point of view ;)

I could go on and on about how stupid that is (and prove it with history), but I think its just stupid enough in and of itself to not require such action. :)

Silt
08-30-2005, 03:49
lol i know gloom, im no history major or anything, but i do rely on my knowledge of it, i love it, its a part of who we are ;) also please note i used all winks there, i know it was silly to say but that was my point in saying it, i dont normally get serious :)

Gloomrender
08-30-2005, 04:22
lol i know gloom, im no history major or anything, but i do rely on my knowledge of it, i love it, its a part of who we are ;) also please note i used all winks there, i know it was silly to say but that was my point in saying it, i dont normally get serious :)
Oh, just kind of joking? I see :D

NewRage
08-30-2005, 05:15
Well, tonight's fight sucked it up on the Ultimate Fighter... The ground work just plain sucked... Melvin did have some good moves getting out of holds, but only a few... It definetly explained a lot about the fight when they said Melvin broke his hand... That must have been a killer hit too, because from the preview it looked like the other dude has a f'ed up elbow from it...

Silt
08-30-2005, 05:20
actuall yit looked more like the shin kick melvin threw rather then the punch (opposite elbow was bandaged) and it wasnt a bad fight all in all, classic grappler vs striker match there, was good to see that melvin sucked it up tho, and it deffinently showed that he can hit, couple times in the third he rocked josh

Amaj
08-30-2005, 05:21
So far, I like this season a bit more. Less drama, backstabbing and games, and more behind the scenes business.

Khahan
08-30-2005, 08:52
If you think I scared you with the sandals, imagine how much you've just scared me!

So far, I like this season a bit more. Less drama, backstabbing and games, and more behind the scenes business.I agree. Save the Drama for your Momma, and for Wrestling.

Silt
08-30-2005, 19:03
actually i think they could use more, i found it really interesting as personailities clashed in the first season with leben/koscheck

with melvin gone now im sure it will be quiet around the house now.. but also to contradict myself im glad he is gone, didnt need a repeat of last season with the attitude running

now luke i think is going to be the hidden 'star' of this season, held two guys to secure the win for his team, also for the fights have you noticed that when the fights are decided (both season 1 and so far the second season) the one who picks the fight has always won?

Haldred
08-07-2008, 10:16
Necro from the 864th page.
I want to win an award!
and UFC > WWE
am I going to get an infraction for this?
Fuck it.

Reikson
08-07-2008, 10:20
wonder- im not knocking pride or anything, but there is a trend if you watch both ufc and pride, ufc is the top of the food chain in mma, no doubt about that, and pride is more like a proving grounds for good fighters its a very small step down for the ufc

old but still the stupidity of this quote is unbelievable. UFC is top when it comes to popularity but undoubtedly Pride had far better champions. Before Rampage lost, 3 of the 5 belts were held by ex pride fighters.

Gloomrender
08-07-2008, 10:25
MMA is great. I think I'm getting a little worn out on it now though...It's all become fairly predictable. But I suppose it's entertaining when It's unpredictable, which is often.

Haldred
08-07-2008, 10:26
MMA is great. I think I'm getting a little worn out on it now though...It's all become fairly predictable. But I suppose it's entertaining when It's unpredictable, which is often.
flying armbar ftw?

Axelator
08-07-2008, 13:31
old but still the stupidity of this quote is unbelievable. UFC is top when it comes to popularity but undoubtedly Pride had far better champions. Before Rampage lost, 3 of the 5 belts were held by ex pride fighters.

Hows that? The only pride champ to fully win the ufc belt when comming in was rampage, big nog got the interim heavy weight, where did this 3rd belt for pride come from?

Parabola
08-07-2008, 14:21
Hows that? The only pride champ to fully win the ufc belt when comming in was rampage, big nog got the interim heavy weight, where did this 3rd belt for pride come from?

Anderson Silva, Rampage, and Big Nog is the Heavyweight champ. Randy Couture even acknowledged it. Also dont try and say Anderson wasn't a pride fighter. He fought 5 times in Pride which makes him a pride fighter since he has only fought 6 times in the UFC and people consider him a UFC fighter.

Parabola
08-07-2008, 14:23

UFC was top only in the US as far as popularity because fair weather fans never looked for anything better. Pride was the equivalent of the NFL in Japan. It was far more mainstream and had a way larger fan base than the UFC did in the states. You can tell that by the production, quality of fights/fighters, and the overall better more professional presentation.

Axelator
08-07-2008, 14:53
Anderson Silva, Rampage, and Big Nog is the Heavyweight champ. Randy Couture even acknowledged it. Also dont try and say Anderson wasn't a pride fighter. He fought 5 times in Pride which makes him a pride fighter since he has only fought 6 times in the UFC and people consider him a UFC fighter.

I dont consider anderson silva a pride fighter, he was fighting for the ufc when they merged and I think he was already the champ by then.

Parabola
08-07-2008, 15:01
I dont consider anderson silva a pride fighter, he was fighting for the ufc when they merged and I think he was already the champ by then.

It doesn't matter whether you consider him one or not, he was. He has fought 6 times in the UFC and is now one of the most recognizable fighters in the organization. He fought 5 times in Pride and lost twice which is why some fans try to act like he wasn't a Pride fighter.

Crying Hyena
08-07-2008, 18:44
Wow, some necro.

Lethn
08-07-2008, 18:47
These threads never end well, I have a high respect for good fighters no matter where they're from but there are always some cocky idiots that will ruin it somehow by pretending they know everything or by acting arrogant.

Jathen
08-07-2008, 19:03
These threads never end well, I have a high respect for good fighters no matter where they're from but there are always some cocky idiots that will ruin it somehow by pretending they know everything or by acting arrogant.

Do not be angry that you got tricked by a local karate studio out of your money in return for a none-applicable fighting style.:(

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:05
lol oh it's you again, looked up what MMA stands for lately? :)

Jathen
08-07-2008, 19:10
lol oh it's you again, looked up what MMA stands for lately? :)

How many fighters with your "style" participate in MMA fights?

A: None

Wonder why that is..........

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:12
Do you honestly think I give a flying fuck? Being in a tournament doesn't even prove anything, oh and following your idiocy before about me being hit I've actually done mixed ju-jitsu sparring and the guys that were there were crap for the most part, I've also been hit in the jaw by the shaft of a billhook and not even been phased by it, now bye bye, I'll leave you to your emo arrogance.

plus Shotokan martial artists hold their own tournaments or join smaller ones with other styles, not that you'd know because you clearly don't study martial arts or even do any research into it.

Jathen
08-07-2008, 19:27
Do you honestly think I give a flying fuck? Being in a tournament doesn't even prove anything, oh and following your idiocy before about me being hit I've actually done mixed ju-jitsu sparring and the guys that were there were crap for the most part, I've also been hit in the jaw by the shaft of a billhook and not even been phased by it, now bye bye, I'll leave you to your emo arrogance.

plus Shotokan martial artists hold their own tournaments or join smaller ones with other styles, not that you'd know because you clearly don't study martial arts or even do any research into it.

"Blah blah blah ive never been in a fight and I think I am a badass."

Honestly I wouldn't find you so fun to pick on if you didn't make statements like "the goverment would classify me as a weapon." You are just goofy.

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:37
By law the Government sees all Martial Artists Green Belt and above as weapons, maybe you should consider looking that up too which makes me doubt you do martial arts at all, in fact, could it be your just some insecure troll that's trying to get me angry? Sorry to disappoint you but it won't work since I know what your really up to.

Your probably just some nerd hanging around in a basement trying to make himself look cool aren't you, I think it's pitiful.

Skree
08-07-2008, 19:48
Necro from the 864th page.
I want to win an award!
and UFC > WWE
am I going to get an infraction for this?
Fuck it.

Hella Necro job.

Now look what you started...too funny.

Skree

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:48
lol I think I just finished it, I'm feeling rather smug now he went offline actually :p

Skree
08-07-2008, 19:50
I've also been hit in the jaw by the shaft of a billhook and not even been phased by it

lol yeah if I'd posted something like that I'd feel real smug.

/sarcasm off

Skree

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:51
Actually that was true and really happened, even though it was accidental, I'm talking about the guy going offline though.

MattMystrieo
08-07-2008, 19:51

Your bragging your a good fighter on the internet?....

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:52
Naw I'm actually about average for a fighter I reckon, I just wanted to piss that guy off really badly :D don't take it too seriously, I know what level I'm at.

Lorthral
08-07-2008, 19:52
I am a UFC fanatic.

Anybody see yesterday's fight of Griffin vs. Ortiz?

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:53
I don't watch the competitions but I saw some of the top fighters on some youtube videos, some of them were actually pretty cool.

MattMystrieo
08-07-2008, 19:54
I am a UFC fanatic.

Its moved to Sentanta Sports here in the U.K (all UFC events) and I don't get it. So no. :(

Lorthral
08-07-2008, 19:56
Cung Le is a prime example that traditional martial arts like taekwondo and shotokan karate are a viable stand up game in MMA. All it takes it a lot of cross training and conditioning.

Skree
08-07-2008, 19:56
I am a UFC fanatic.

I did see it but wasn't sure if it was live or recorded from previous.

Skree

Lethn
08-07-2008, 19:57
Yeah not only that Lorthral it depends on the actual fighter themselves, you can be a black belt and still just not fight back properly or forget the right stance or technique :)

When I first started sparring I barely attacked but now I've been in this weird aggressive streak ever since I did weapons training heh, sometimes doing various styles occasionally does actually help.

Now if only I could draw characters well.... Skeletons are becoming easier at least.

Uzik
08-07-2008, 20:00
Yeah not only that Lorthral it depends on the actual fighter themselves, you can be a black belt and still just not fight back properly or forget the right stance or technique :)

When I first started sparring I barely attacked but now I've been in this weird aggressive streak ever since I did weapons training heh, sometimes doing various styles occasionally does actually help.

A black belt could be worth shit depending on which martial art it's for, and what school it's from.

I always laugh when I see taekwondo guys go into their stance. For some reason they think that holding their hands down like Bruce Lee is actually effective in a real fight.

Personally, I do karate, grappling and kick boxing.

Lethn
08-07-2008, 20:04
Sweet :D The genuine martial artists are coming out of the woodwork now lol :p

Yeah like I said in seriousness though I've sparred with some folks who were learning mixed ju-jitsu and some of them couldn't even hold me down entirely, most of the time it just ended up in a stalemate since they could keep me down but not get me in a grip which had me going wtf?

And I couldn't pin them down properly because my martial arts was focused more around grips, blocking and striking heh.

Satan
08-07-2008, 20:30
i like mma in general. ufc is alright but im not a big fan of the cage and some of the rules

Ash'Luskr
08-07-2008, 20:34
Hella Necro job.

Now look what you started...too funny.

Skree

I think it was worth the 3 day ban don't you?
Look at the conversation I started!

umustbemistaken
08-07-2008, 20:53
Just ran through this thread, and am gonna throw in that I love the UFC and pride. But professional MMA needs to be in the Olympics I mean C'mon, C'mon.

That’s something I think folks could really get into. Yea folks brag about their soccer or Futbol teams and basketball and such. Imagine MMA rolled up in the mix.

A commonsense addition in to the Olympics imho.

Mulambo
08-07-2008, 21:06
Just ran through this thread, and am gonna throw in that I love the UFC and pride. But professional MMA needs to be in the Olympics I mean C'mon, C'mon.

That’s something I think folks could really get into. Yea folks brag about their soccer or Futbol teams and basketball and such. Imagine MMA rolled up in the mix.

A commonsense addition in to the Olympics imho.

It'd be great if it was like bloodsport where everyone fights like the sterotype of their country. kung-fu chinese, greek wrestler, thai kickboxer, etc. Skateboarding canadian.

umustbemistaken
08-07-2008, 21:09
It'd be great if it was like bloodsport where everyone fights like the sterotype of their country. kung-fu chinese, greek wrestler, thai kickboxer, etc. Skateboarding canadian.

I was thinkin more like "The Quest" Jean-Claude Van dam and all that, but bloodsport's cool too.

Ash'Luskr
08-07-2008, 21:09

Don't fuck with skateboarding canadians...even if you know american karate. :eek: those guy have moves eh?

Lethn
08-07-2008, 21:10
I actually wouldn't mind seeing some real barefisted sparring going on, but it'd be outlawed because of the risks probably, if you know the nervous system or weakpoints in the body then it can be pretty dangerous.

umustbemistaken
08-07-2008, 21:15
I actually wouldn't mind seeing some real barefisted sparring going on, but it'd be outlawed because of the risks probably, if you know the nervous system or weakpoints in the body then it can be pretty dangerous.

Well yea I’m thinkin with Pride rules or UFC (which ever has less of them I don't know.) it should be do-able.

The Bragging rights elected to the winner are endless. If Europeans think Americans are Cocky now if this ever comes to pass ya'll best make sure we never win a fight.

Reikson
08-07-2008, 22:09
You can tell that by the production, quality of fights/fighters, and the overall better more professional presentation.
That is something that really disappointed me when Pride went under. They always really had spectacular productions that really kept you entertained in between bouts. Plus the videos they had for the fighters really made them seem larger than life and really drew you into the fights.

How many fighters with your "style" participate in MMA fights?
A: None
Wonder why that is..........
Actually the #1 contender at 205 and probably the future champ is Machida. The only reason they wouldnt give him the championship fight is because most casual fans see his style as boring. Without a doubt though he is the most technical fighter at 205 and if he gets the belt he will be holding onto it for awhile.

First they need to stick with getting grappling and or jiu jitsu into the olympics.

Jathen
08-07-2008, 22:18
Naw I'm actually about average for a fighter I reckon, I just wanted to piss that guy off really badly :D don't take it too seriously, I know what level I'm at.

Haha I leave to go to the pool and I come back to you talking shit about making me go offline.....and me being a basement lurker (irony?).

Anyways you are not a average fighter, in fact you are not even a fighter at all. To be a fighter you would have had to been in a fight, or at least spar at full speed/contact. You have done neither (by your own admission). Also you practice Shotokan martial artists which is a huge joke, I thought this was common knowledge. Also your comments about me not being a fighter because I didn't know the gov classifies orange belt and above as a "weapon" is just plain silly.

Ps-I will get my black belt in BJJ in one month.

Lethn
08-07-2008, 22:39
wow you give me shit about doing a crappy martial art and your telling me you do Ju Jitsu which is actually more of a sport like Judo? That's actually really laughable, oh and for your information at the moment I'm an attic dweller, we're a lot more sociable folks than people like you :)

Mock
08-07-2008, 22:58
Cung Le is a prime example that traditional martial arts like taekwondo and shotokan karate are a viable stand up game in MMA. All it takes it a lot of cross training and conditioning.

:rolleyes:

San Da =/= taekwondo /shotokan.

San Da much more like Muay thai. Which is what almost every MMA fighter trains for stand up.

Parabola
08-07-2008, 23:17

San Da =/= taekwondo /shotokan.

San Da much more like Muay thai. Which is what almost every MMA fighter trains for stand up.

It's San shou.

Parabola
08-07-2008, 23:20

Cung Le is at the bottom of the ladder for mixed martial artists who utilize traditional martial arts. Lyoto Machida is a black belt in Shotokan karate which he utilizes extremely well, but he is also one hell of a grappler which is why he is able to use it effectively in MMA. Also, Georges St. Pierre is a black belt in Kyokushin karate, but once again to make it work in MMA he is an insanely good wrestler and jiu jitsu practioner.

Mock
08-07-2008, 23:30
It's San shou.

http://www.fightauthority.com/san-shou-kung-fu.php

The term Sanda has a longer history and is more commonly used. Sanshou was the official name given to the martial art when it was formalized and standardized by the Chinese government. Later the official name reverted back to Sanda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Shou

Sanshou (Chinese: 散手; pinyin: sǎnshǒu; literally "free hand") or Sanda (Chinese: 散打; pinyin: sǎndǎ; literally "free fighting") is a Chinese hand to hand combat, self-defense system, and combat sport

http://www.kungfu.net/sanshou.html

The word "San Shou" also spelled "Sanda"

http://www.dublin-personaltraining-kickboxing.com/Sanshou_Kickboxing.php
http://www.flashmavi.com/sanda.shtml
http://www.nysanda.com/
http://www.sanda-mma.com/
http://boston-kickboxing.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4r5BBFcsaU

Jathen
08-07-2008, 23:31
wow you give me shit about doing a crappy martial art and your telling me you do Ju Jitsu which is actually more of a sport like Judo? That's actually really laughable, oh and for your information at the moment I'm an attic dweller, we're a lot more sociable folks than people like you :)

Wait did you just call Brazilian Ju Jitsu a crappy martial arts??????? I think you just lost all credibility with anyone who knows anything about fighting. :lmao:

Lethn
08-07-2008, 23:35
Did I say anything about crappy? No, I actually said that Ju Jitsu was actually more of a sport than a traditional martial art like Shotokan, read properly, you just lost all credibility by resorting to a pathetic tactic like trying to twist someones words with a one liner comment and quoting someone without even reading.

In fact your pretty much the one who has been throwing baseless insults at my martial art from the very beginning which I find pretty hilarious actually, oh yeah, still guessed what MMA stands for yet?

Your pretty much the one losing all credibility here right now.

Barbarossa
08-07-2008, 23:37
UFC is owned by same so called "sports entertainment" company who also had the XFL, right?

Fail...

Jathen
08-07-2008, 23:39
Did I say anything about crappy? No, I actually said that Ju Jitsu was actually more of a sport than a traditional martial art like Judo, read properly, you just lost all credibility by resorting to a pathetic tactic like trying to twist someones words with a one liner comment and quoting someone without even reading.

In fact your pretty much the one who has been throwing baseless insults at my martial art from the very beginning which I find pretty hilarious actually, oh yeah, still guessed what MMA stands for yet?

See above I bolded your quote for ease of reading. And I am sorry if my saying that your style is not applicable offends, but it just isn't.....

Oh and saying BJJ is not applicable is also hilarious.

Keep um coming.

Lethn
08-07-2008, 23:41
Not really, I never intended to argue in the first place, your just the idiot that decided to go attacking me even after the last thread was closed, so feel free to try and put up whatever arguments you have whenever, I also never actually said that either martial art was entirely un-applicable in real life self-defense.

Axelator
08-08-2008, 00:03

strange how sports oriented martial arts tend to spar so much more than supposedly real world martial arts, i've seen it dozens of times over, traditional martial artists talking shit thn they get into a figjt and the second punches start flying everywhere they flinch, turn there backs and cower because they have 0 experiance of what it's like to actually fight.

Axelator
08-08-2008, 00:05
Did I say anything about crappy? No, I actually said that Ju Jitsu was actually more of a sport than a traditional martial art like Shotokan, read properly, you just lost all credibility by resorting to a pathetic tactic like trying to twist someones words with a one liner comment and quoting someone without even reading.

If he is telling the truth and is nearly a black belt in BJJ he has roughly a million times more credibility than somone who has never even fought/sparred full contact.

Jathen
08-08-2008, 00:09
If he is telling the truth and is nearly a black belt in BJJ he has roughly a million times more credibility than somone who has never even fought/sparred full contact.

HEY! Forms win fights ok! ;)

Axelator
08-08-2008, 00:10

ha please tell me you beleive in pressure points and meridian lines that would be the icing on the cake.

Jathen
08-08-2008, 00:14
ha please tell me you beleive in pressure points and meridian lines that would be the icing on the cake.

I bet he trains under tom cadmarin (sp?). DEATH TOUCH!

Reikson
08-08-2008, 00:16

Im gonna take a wild guess and say he isnt and that was sarcasm

Jathen
08-08-2008, 00:20

No, I really do train BBJ at the Hardcore gym in Athens, GA, and I should be getting my black belt in about a month. I also train in Muay Thai Kickboxing, but I just recently started.

Id be happy to spar with anyone who wanted to stop by.

Axelator
08-08-2008, 00:21

No that was genuine, as far as I know bjj guys have to fight at their gradings to gain belts, not perform a kata/form then do some choreographed techniques. That means he would have a lot of experience sparring and more sparring tends to = better fighter imo.

BJA (the judo accosiation i'm in) recently cut out the need to spar at gradings which is a shit as it loses the black belts a lot of respect as they may know the techniques but not be able to apply them). However we still spar or randori as we call it every class.

Axelator
08-08-2008, 00:22
HEY! Forms win fights ok! ;)

It's true Bruce lee did forms and he the best fighter EVAR.

slugy
08-08-2008, 02:18
lol you are all pussys.

real men do extreme body modification.

id link a vid but it would prob crash the server.

nothing like cutting into your own dick to see the insides, or shoving something that you would never have thoguht possible to get down your jap... BUT IT FUCKING DOES!

anyway yeah. slap your e peen around after you have cut half of it off.

anyone can punch someone in the face.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Genital_Bisection

http://www.sugargirlsandseamen.com/2007/05/whats-deal-with-your-penis.html

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Meatotomy

Eldest
08-08-2008, 02:46
Well yea I’m thinkin with Pride rules or UFC (which ever has less of them I don't know.) it should be do-able.

The Bragging rights elected to the winner are endless. If Europeans think Americans are Cocky now if this ever comes to pass ya'll best make sure we never win a fight.

Isn't the best P4P fighter in the world Russian? =) They'll call it the Cold War II

Vanno
08-08-2008, 02:48
UFC is owned by same so called "sports entertainment" company who also had the XFL, right?

Fail...

No it isn't learn to google noob.