PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a Masters Degree?

clobster
02-18-2009, 02:22
I'm currently working on a B.A. in Law and Justice, and I'm wondering if getting a Masters is even worthwhile. I plan on becoming a police officer, and right now all I know it'll do for me is give me a small raise (most departments give a bonus for having a degree: 2% for AA, 4-6% for a Bachelors, and 8-12% for a Masters).

I also wonder if getting a Masters is even interesting. Are classes in your field for a Masters actually appealing, or just some hurdle to get over so you can say, "Yeah, I have a Masters."

Salardc
02-18-2009, 02:25
I'm currently working on a B.A. in Law and Justice, and I'm wondering if getting a Masters is even worthwhile. I plan on becoming a police officer, and right now all I know it'll do for me is give me a small raise (most departments give a bonus for having a degree: 2% for AA, 4-6% for a Bachelors, and 8-12% for a Masters).

I also wonder if getting a Masters is even interesting. Are classes in your field for a Masters actually appealing, or just some hurdle to get over so you can say, "Yeah, I have a Masters."

Getting your masters will set you apart from the rest of the applicants in any job, give you a much higher pay scale/ tier and make you a much more believable person in the field you are studying.

I have a doctorate and it was tuff but it made all the difference..

And Im still going to school while I work to keep current

Do it for yourself its worth the work and extra money - you will thank yourself for doing it!

Salardc
plus later you can make detective!!!

Hitom
A Master whatnow? :confused:

alfaroverall
02-18-2009, 02:26
Getting your masters will set you apart from the rest of the applicants in any job, give you a much higher pay scale/ tier and make you a much more believable person in the field you are studying.

I have a doctorate and it was tuff but it made all the difference..

And Im still going to school while I work to keep current

Do it for yourself its worth the work and extra money - you will thank yourself for doing it!
There are no Ph Ds on the interwebs.

On-topic: I'm planning on going straight for my MS after my BS, but that's mainly because my field (chemistry) requires a good bit more education to even really get started in it.

Salardc
02-18-2009, 02:27
lol i guess I am the exception - although you wouldn't know it from my spelling and grammar!

clobster
02-18-2009, 02:31
The thing is, I'm already eligible for EVERY police department in the state of Washington because I completed my AA degree. They don't require anything beyond that. The Bachelor's serves two purposes: to make me more hire able and to provide me with something to fall back on should I become injured and need to enter a different line of work. The Masters would be for advancement, sure, but I wonder if it will really give me that much of an edge. I also want to know if Masters programs are even interesting. I don't want to kill myself for two years (or more if I go part-time) for something I'm just going to hate and get hardly any benefit from.

Salardc
02-18-2009, 02:34
the benefits will come in the form of self betterment, the satisfaction of knowing you are not stupid (lol j/k), and it will make you a much more mature and well rounded person with a more solid career ahead you, it also opens more doors later.

Ill give you an example,

I have a patient who was a cop, he destroyed his lumbar discs and can't "cop" anymore.

If he had his masters he would have more options other than sit at home, drink beer, get fat, be miserable and get crap money as a settlement...

your call, but you asked for opinion and thats mine...

Quagmire
02-18-2009, 02:37

In my field nobady really cares all that much, IT. Having a degree is all good and fun but that just means you can sit in a classroom, takes tests and pass. In IT they want experience. Like for me, I only have 2+ years of experience and I can't even get a damn job right now. A ton of those damned entry level positions all say, you need 3-5 years for 40k a year gross....

With the current economy they can get that easy since they lay offs from Microsoft, google, and so forth.

Right now I'm trying to get work elsewhere as a landscaper or something just cuz getting a job in IT ain't gonna happen right now :(

clobster
02-18-2009, 02:39
the benefits will come in the form of self betterment, the satisfaction of knowing you are not stupid (lol j/k)

Awesome :P You have a very good point though; the better the degree, the more options out there. I've still got around 1 year or so before I am done with my bachelor's, but I'll keep that in mind when the time comes to make a decision.

Salardc
02-18-2009, 02:45
im sure ill be here in a yr feel free to give us the update!!!