01-14-2009, 01:52
Yes.

Tiarilir
01-14-2009, 02:10
Yes.

WHY OH WHY!??!?!?!+1+1+1+1+! noooo!1111

Skelemon
01-14-2009, 02:13
i was thinking about trying it but.... i dont have windows vista disc for the reinstall.

Kurog
01-14-2009, 02:50
i like the ui seems alot faster less bloatware can only hope ms dont bloat it up till relese its way better the vista tho at startup it used like 800mb ram

Rikuno
01-14-2009, 02:56
my friend has tried it...appearently its thebomb.com

xKilljoy187
01-14-2009, 02:58
What I've tried I've liked

Brezick
01-14-2009, 03:47
pretty stable for an initial beta. Found a few bugs that crashed my system, but nothing major. Don't bother getting it for a primary OS if you never beta tested an OS before. Best option is to get a VM set up and run it in there. Or if you have a spare computer you are not using, then that will work too.

I really hope they have some more features in it. Yes it works really well right now, but it is nothing revolutionary like XP was over 98/ME/2000. It almost feels as if it would be more or less a Vista Service pack 2 for Vista than a truly new OS.

Memory footprint is pretty good on default install also.

Wickfield
01-14-2009, 03:59
pretty stable for an initial beta. Found a few bugs that crashed my system, but nothing major. Don't bother getting it for a primary OS if you never beta tested an OS before. Best option is to get a VM set up and run it in there. Or if you have a spare computer you are not using, then that will work too.

I really hope they have some more features in it. Yes it works really well right now, but it is nothing revolutionary like XP was over 98/ME/2000. It almost feels as if it would be more or less a Vista Service pack 2 for Vista than a truly new OS.

Memory footprint is pretty good on default install also.

I've heard similar things. The only turn-off is that I'm going to end up paying microsoft $200-$300 to fix what should have worked in vista.

Have they fixed the godawful search from vista? I couldn't find SHIT with that thing. The search was my main gripe with vista, and if they've fixed it that's enough of an incentive to make the switch when 7 is released.

Grimrot
01-14-2009, 06:34
I've been running it 3 days, no crashes. It's pretty speedy too. All drivers installed no problem. It's pretty much what vista should have been.

Wonderboy2402
01-14-2009, 08:01
I've heard similar things. The only turn-off is that I'm going to end up paying microsoft $200-$300 to fix what should have worked in vista.

Have they fixed the godawful search from vista? I couldn't find SHIT with that thing. The search was my main gripe with vista, and if they've fixed it that's enough of an incentive to make the switch when 7 is released.

Jesus, it better not cost that much to upgrade from Vista... That is retarded.

biggunsar
01-14-2009, 08:39
anyone try windows 7???

any good
??

oh you mean VISTA 2. yes, and its' not all that. But it is a bit better than vista orginal.

Mulambo
01-14-2009, 08:51
My roommate has it running.

It's nice. It looks like vista, but things happen moar quickly.

There are some nice improvements too, such as being able to click on the wireless network icon in the system tray and just select from the available networks there from a little slide-up window like every other operating system had 6 years ago.

Salaman
01-14-2009, 10:41
I've been using it for a couple days so far. Only thing I've had a few hang ups with is networking (my computer just sat there endlessly searching for the other computers on the network and wouldn't restart or shut down).

Also, I don't really get the point of the "HomeGroup" feature and there's no documentation for it in the help file yet. Apparently it's only good if you have multiple Win7 computers so I just set my Win7 install to use the old workgroup style network.

Haven't tried any games besides fallout 2 (yea I said two) which worked for the most part, and somehow plays at my desktop resolution of 1280x1024, instead of the default 640x480 (but there's a minor graphic glitch with the videos and anything white that somehow fixes itself if you alt+tab the game while having the display option in the control panel open, weird I know, going to have to experiment some more with it)

Anyways I'm downloading TF2 from Steam so I'll see how that works. Wanted to try some Battlefield 2 but apparently the good folks running PunkBuster won't update to cover Win7 until it's a final release so what happens is that you just end up getting kicked from any server that uses PB.

Haeso
01-14-2009, 10:43
my friend has tried it...appearently its thebomb.com

Never say that again, ever.

Haha, you paid for vista.

Kinjo695
01-14-2009, 10:51

Amen to that, the search function in XP was simple and effective, then they went and screwed it all up with "windows search" then they made it slightly more useful in vista but only if you slow your computer down by indexing everything, if you don't index it it won't find it. But at least the good old XP search was still in vista as a fail safe option you can choose when you don't find what you were looking for. In Server 2008 you seemingly have to use the shitty search which finds nothing, and even with everything selected as indexed it still complains about the location not being indexed when you search it WTF!
To top off all this rage!!! if you use outlook 2007 you can't get the advanced options of the filter search bar in the mailbox without installing ... yup you guessed it "windows search" if you are on XP. Which renders your search outside of outlook useless.

gaaah... seriously I really want to meet some MS developers and ask them 1000 "what were you thinking" questions

Weeking
01-14-2009, 11:15
I prefer to keep my computer tidy instead of using search. I use it very seldom, a couple of times a year, and only for the absolutely necessary searches like f ex if you have thousands of files of the same file type within many folders and you're looking for a particular filename. It could easily have been replaced by some sort of virtual folder that could list all the files in a the subdirectories and from several selected folders in one list and that is my main use of the search function, but shouldn't really be called a search IMO, it's more like browsing when you put nothing in the the search field except location.

Kinjo695
01-14-2009, 11:26
If you don't need to use search then you probably don't work as a IT Administrator or software tech etc.

I am the systems administrator at a high school and I use the search feature on a daily basis tidy or not tidy.

slugy
01-14-2009, 13:02
Im so glad i did not get vista.

OP: ive not tried it but a few friends have and they say it good stuff.

Wickfield
01-14-2009, 14:43
So they didn't fix the search? And how can I use the xp search in vista? help!?

iza
01-14-2009, 19:10
Fuck windows, I have officially upgraded to linux.

biggunsar
01-14-2009, 20:30
Fuck windows, I have officially upgraded to linux.

ohhh you mean downgraded as a home OS. But upgraded if it's a file and print server. Gotcha

Im sorry to say this, but i use ALL os's. I was a consultant for 3 years. Mac/linux all flavours/windows

Linux sucks as a home pc. Video wise, game wise. It's a GREAT server, and depending on the type of server. But sorry, if you blew away windows for a linux home OS...you fail.

Arrowyx
01-14-2009, 20:44
Only problem I had with Win7 was that I couldn't get 64bit drivers for my old Linksys wireless card and I don't happen to have a ~75' long cat 6 cable to run a hardline to my router. :(

Mangamaniac
01-14-2009, 21:50
If Darkfall would run on Linux I could deinstall my old "more configurable XBox" called Windows XP :)

Using Linux (as Server AND Desktop OS) for some years now and happy with it.