PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 2 question

saltwaterteffy
01-09-2009, 09:32
I recently started playing the Median mod for D2 (holy shit it rocks) and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way for me to xfer single player character data from 1 pc to another. Do I just copy the MPQ file like I did initially?? Is there a way to do this at all? I'd appreciate any info.

Dimgo
01-09-2009, 09:43
yo dawg we heard you like Diablo so we put a Diablo inside your Diablo so you can play while you play

Temet nosce
01-09-2009, 10:30
Yeah, but you'd need to transfer the character data as well. I haven't done it in a while, but I think there are three types of files for each character, two of which are hidden.

Also, you should probably install Median first on the other PC.

saltwaterteffy
01-09-2009, 10:52
yep i have median on both computers. i see a registration file and three others for each character like you said

seems like it should be fairly simple

thanks!

Falcord
01-09-2009, 10:58
For god's sake, don't play median, it's bad.

Play Eastern Sun mod, now that's a badass mod.

saltwaterteffy
01-09-2009, 11:02
For god's sake, don't play median, it's bad.

Play Eastern Sun mod, now that's a badass mod.

bad? elaborate

ill check out that other mod

Falcord
01-09-2009, 11:45
bad? elaborate

ill check out that other mod

Well, bad is not the word maybe, I just hate it.

Median is just a mediocre mod that gives you a ton of imbalanced, disco skills that will bring up your latent epilepsy and add nothing to the enjoyment of the game. There are new items and stuff, but again, they're simply imbalanced.

On the other hand, Eastern Sun is practically a remake of the whole game: New balanced and different skill trees for each character (the necro has a few specs related to fighting with a scythe, for example). The world has a lot of extra secret areas, and there are a lot of new monsters.

In fact, the coolest thing about Eastern Sun is that the item system has not only been completely remade, but it's like twice as big as vanilla item database. Twice the uniques, twice the runewords (http://homepage3.nifty.com/miyoshino/es/es3runew_n.htm)(hell, there are even GEM words!) All the runes are different and based on japanese Kanji btw.
Really, this mod is a lot of fun. I played through it all with a Scythe Necro and I enjoyed diablo at it's best. Also, if you think the game is easy, there are a few special areas that will drive the most experienced D2 players crazy. Give it a try.

Elynole
01-09-2009, 12:34
yo dawg we heard you like Diablo so we put a Diablo inside your Diablo so you can play while you play

http://wwxzd.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/xzibit.jpg

WhiteF1ame
01-09-2009, 14:51
why would anyone still play diablo? Isnt it like 10 years old.

NapalmEnema
01-09-2009, 14:52

Why does anyone play chess? It's like a thousand+ years old?

Good game is a good game. Diablo 2 is still a good game.

Ultor83
01-09-2009, 14:58

I'm not even a Diablo fan, I've grown a huge distaste over the years for it but its age should have nothing to do with it.

I've went back and played PC games hitting the 20yr mark and still had far more fun than I've had with most off what's being getting released in the last 5yrs or so.

Shadowcreep
01-09-2009, 15:13
A game's age doesn't matter; gameplay does.

I didn't know there were mods for Diablo 2.

Temet nosce
01-09-2009, 15:13
I'm not even a Diablo fan, I've grown a huge distaste over the years for it but its age should have nothing to do with it.

I've went back and played PC games hitting the 20yr mark and still had far more fun than I've had with most off what's being getting released in the last 5yrs or so.

Sad, but bloody well true. Hell, it's so fucking obvious even an 09er knows it.

This topic is tempting me to bust out the original Diablo actually, the ambiance in that was damned well unbeatable.

NapalmEnema
01-09-2009, 15:32
Well, bad is not the word maybe, I just hate it.

Median is just a mediocre mod that gives you a ton of imbalanced, disco skills that will bring up your latent epilepsy and add nothing to the enjoyment of the game. There are new items and stuff, but again, they're simply imbalanced.

On the other hand, Eastern Sun is practically a remake of the whole game: New balanced and different skill trees for each character (the necro has a few specs related to fighting with a scythe, for example). The world has a lot of extra secret areas, and there are a lot of new monsters.

In fact, the coolest thing about Eastern Sun is that the item system has not only been completely remade, but it's like twice as big as vanilla item database. Twice the uniques, twice the runewords (http://homepage3.nifty.com/miyoshino/es/es3runew_n.htm)(hell, there are even GEM words!) All the runes are different and based on japanese Kanji btw.
Really, this mod is a lot of fun. I played through it all with a Scythe Necro and I enjoyed diablo at it's best. Also, if you think the game is easy, there are a few special areas that will drive the most experienced D2 players crazy. Give it a try.

This.

Eastern sun pwns face and completely revitalizes the game for sure.

bluthorn
01-09-2009, 16:49

Same reason people still play Starcraft. Because it is an excellent, well-made game.

Ankh
01-09-2009, 17:13
This topic is tempting me to bust out the original Diablo actually, the ambiance in that was damned well unbeatable.

That's what I keep thinking about it, grab the install disc, enter the game ,then quit when I see the 640x480 resolution with the huge interface taking up half the screen, no running, and the most primitive hack'n'slash available. That game is better left in my memories..

NapalmEnema
01-09-2009, 17:34
That's what I keep thinking about it, grab the install disc, enter the game ,then quit when I see the 640x480 resolution with the huge interface taking up half the screen, no running, and the most primitive hack'n'slash available. That game is better left in my memories..

D2 however with the Sun mod - holds up quite well.

Ankh
01-09-2009, 17:37
D2 is timeless shit... Replayed it a bunch after the D3 announcment. I think I'm done with it for good now though. Unless D3 turns out to be shit.

Atnas
01-09-2009, 18:07

That's the case with me, except it's not D2 but every mmo I've ever played.

Ultor83
01-09-2009, 18:18
I actually dug the game out about 6mths ago and didn't find the resolution or graphics that bad (I had just been playing Secret of Monkey Island through again). Did the same with Planescape Torment and had a run through off that also, was once again epic in every way.

Gonna dig out Temple of Elemental Evil for a replay and give Titan Quest a shot (but doubting its gonna be my cup of tea).

Ankh
01-09-2009, 18:38
I actually dug the game out about 6mths ago and didn't find the resolution or graphics that bad (I had just been playing Secret of Monkey Island through again). Did the same with Planescape Torment and had a run through off that also, was once again epic in every way.

Those are completely different from playing a outdated hack'n'slash game with only one attack skill.

give Titan Quest a shot (but doubting its gonna be my cup of tea).

I loved Titan Quest, it just got boring after the first runthrough since it doesn't have randomly generated maps.

Ultor83
01-09-2009, 18:47
Sorry, what I meant to say there was I had dug out Diablo 6mths ago but prior to that I had been playing Monkey Island so maybe thats why I wasn't even phased by the resolution or graphics from Diablo.

See thats where I'm thinking I could hate Titan Quest as I wasn't a huge fan of Diablo and as the years have crawled by I've come to dislike it even more. I tried Dungeon Siege a few years ago and got so bored playing it I felt my brain was turning to mush. Suprisingly though I did enjoy Throne of Darkness when I played that through years back.... weird :)

Ankh
01-09-2009, 18:58
Titan Quest is 100% hack'n'slash, so if you didn't like Diablo, chances are you won't like TQ.

Mippoose
01-09-2009, 19:02
DARKFALL ONLINE is 100% hack'n'slash, so if you didn't like Diablo, chances are you won't like DFO.

Fixed.

Ultor83
01-09-2009, 19:04
I don't mind Hack n Slash that much but there needs to be some story depth to it along with a feeling your in a game world. Diablo just felt very very shallow in those respects, which makes me liking Throne of Darkness more than Diablo on a first play through a bit strange, considering it was considered to be Diet Diablo.

kiasta
01-09-2009, 19:23
Same reason people still play Starcraft. Because it is an excellent, well-made game.

Ooh I still play SC, I was actually doing some of the human missions yesterday.

Justinian
01-09-2009, 19:31

Holy christ I spit my drink all over my desk.

Well-played, my friend. Well-played.

Angry-Khan
01-09-2009, 20:24

this

Eldaran
01-09-2009, 20:25

This.... is epic.

NapalmEnema
01-09-2009, 20:41
I don't mind Hack n Slash that much but there needs to be some story depth to it along with a feeling your in a game world. Diablo just felt very very shallow in those respects, which makes me liking Throne of Darkness more than Diablo on a first play through a bit strange, considering it was considered to be Diet Diablo.

I loved D2 -

Titan Quest was meh to me for some reason.

Didn't have a good 'feel' to it is all I can say.

Temet nosce
01-10-2009, 02:06
I loved D2 -

Titan Quest was meh to me for some reason.

Didn't have a good 'feel' to it is all I can say.

The multiplayer was poorly done, item hunting didn't feel as rewarding, many of the skills were boring, the story had none of Diablo's flair, and overall it was balanced in a way that left you without that epic feeling. Also, total lack of ambiance.

Still, better than most Diablo clones.

alfaroverall
01-10-2009, 03:25
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch %3Fv%3DRw8gE3lnpLQ&ei=CgdoSY2FAoyQ8wTB3ZSmBw&usg=AFQjCNEk0-m1hnWgjLKC7GDrUxQHsXQiGw&sig2=m9Dd02YtpKj1uHPB9j4Hbw